Osmo pocket is missing the boat
2444 13 2018-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nscalernn3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16565 ft
United States

I would like to own an OSMO pocket.  However, I can't because the two phone adapters supplied are for Appel and Android USB C.  I own ana Galaxy s7, which has Micro USB.  I am sure that there are a lot of others out there in the same boat.  Since this item has to be activated via the phone it would not work for me and many others.  S T U P I D!!!  DJI you are missing a huge part of what could be your market.  Guess I will have to get a GoPro 7.  Sorry we both loose.

2018-12-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for bringing this query to us. I understand your current phone ( Galaxy s7 ) uses a Micro-USB connection. Apologies, but the adaptor is not compatible with Android phones with Micro-USB interface for the time being. Your understanding is highly appreciated. Thank you.
2018-12-2
Use props
Moni Johnson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

I thought the same at first, but... In order to get the GoPro 7 to do (not even) everything the Osmo Pocket does, you would need to invest far more on GoPro accessories (gimbal for one) than you would to get your hands on an inexpensive/used iPhone or Android phone with a USB-C connection, and you would still end up with an inferior product if you went with the GoPro. Yes, it is an amazing product, but its stabilization sucks in low light and you'll still lack the advanced features you gain with the Osmo Pocket. Keep in mind you can also connect to your current phone wirelessly with the wireless base (though that may not be as convenient). The only thing the GoPro 7 has going for it in comparison to the Osmo Pocket is durability out of the box. If you don't need an actual "action" camera, the Osmo is a far better option. BTW, what does the GoPro 7's phone connection look like? *sarcasm
2018-12-2
Use props
nscalernn3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16565 ft
United States

Moni Johnson Posted at 12-2 10:56
I thought the same at first, but... In order to get the GoPro 7 to do (not even) everything the Osmo Pocket does, you would need to invest far more on GoPro accessories (gimbal for one) than you would to get your hands on an inexpensive/used iPhone or Android phone with a USB-C connection, and you would still end up with an inferior product if you went with the GoPro. Yes, it is an amazing product, but its stabilization sucks in low light and you'll still lack the advanced features you gain with the Osmo Pocket. Keep in mind you can also connect to your current phone wirelessly with the wireless base (though that may not be as convenient). The only thing the GoPro 7 has going for it in comparison to the Osmo Pocket is durability out of the box. If you don't need an actual "action" camera, the Osmo is a far better option. BTW, what does the GoPro 7's phone connection look like? *sarcasm

The gopro doesn't need a phone connection to register it with the manufacturer.  Without a phone you can't even turn on the osmo.  It will not function until it is registered.  Therefore the wireless base they have slated for the future won't work either, because the osmo has to function before it can be used.  Those of us with Micro USB are just SOL.  Getting a cheap phone with USB C would still require another wireless account (more money spent) in order to install the MIMO app and register the Osmo the DJI.  No, that is not an answere the problem.  NO DJI JUST GOT STUPID AND CHEAPED OUT.
2018-12-2
Use props
TimK1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71975 ft
United Kingdom

Has anyone (i.e. early reviewers) - tried using a USBC -> MicroUSB adapter to see if that works - I can't see why it wouldn't tbh.
2018-12-2
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

TimK1 Posted at 12-2 15:33
Has anyone (i.e. early reviewers) - tried using a USBC -> MicroUSB adapter to see if that works - I can't see why it wouldn't tbh.

Exactly... USB-C is only physical connection standard and nothing else.
Now, various manufacturers think it's something more like must have USB 3.1 or 3.0 or that it must support usb power delivery or alternate mode, etc... but no, USB-C as standardized is nothing more than physical dimensions of the plug.

Problem is with design of Osmo Pocket where the connector between the phone and the Osmo itself is also kind of holder.

See what I mean? Imagine now having extra adapter inbetween that needs to "hold" osmo pocket.

2018-12-3
Use props
TimK1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71975 ft
United Kingdom

It was primarily for the first time activation issue the earlier poster mentioned. Obviously having an adapter rammed in during normal use isn’t going to fly as you state.
2018-12-3
Use props
Moni Johnson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

nscalernn3 Posted at 12-2 11:21
The gopro doesn't need a phone connection to register it with the manufacturer.  Without a phone you can't even turn on the osmo.  It will not function until it is registered.  Therefore the wireless base they have slated for the future won't work either, because the osmo has to function before it can be used.  Those of us with Micro USB are just SOL.  Getting a cheap phone with USB C would still require another wireless account (more money spent) in order to install the MIMO app and register the Osmo the DJI.  No, that is not an answere the problem.  NO DJI JUST GOT STUPID AND CHEAPED OUT.

So, borrow a phone to activate the OP. That's what I have done (with my wife's iPhone) in the past to activate (and use until I had a compatible phone) certain equipment. And you don't have to activate a phone with a mobile plan. We grab used phones cheap all the time at local pawn shops when we need one for anything our own phones cannot support. I'm just saying there are ways around your reason for choosing the GoPro over the OP. But, to each his own. Perhaps the GoPro would be a better choice for you, indeed!
2018-12-4
Use props
Moni Johnson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 12-3 09:03
Exactly... USB-C is only physical connection standard and nothing else.
Now, various manufacturers think it's something more like must have USB 3.1 or 3.0 or that it must support usb power delivery or alternate mode, etc... but no, USB-C as standardized is nothing more than physical dimensions of the plug.

I totally agree here. An adapter might work but would likely not be a good option.
2018-12-4
Use props
Moni Johnson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

TimK1 Posted at 12-2 15:33

Makes sense! Just for activation, this could be a solution. I plan to use my OP primarily without a phone.
2018-12-4
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Moni Johnson Posted at 12-4 17:45
I totally agree here. An adapter might work but would likely not be a good option.

There is always a chance that DJI app needs something more behind the scenes and not announced yet.
I.e. that it requires USB 3.1 (nothing to do with USB-C) or something else due to misinterpretation of the standards. Or maybe overly powerful phone due to poorly written / non-optimized app, etc... previous experiences tell that dji is great hw but pretty lousy sw company. But, for just an activation, I think even DJI could not mess it up.
2018-12-5
Use props
Luca Rubino
lvl.4
Flight distance : 711512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

My opinion: GoPro7 and OP are very different kind of gear. If you need an action cam, go to buy a GoPro7. Wide angle, rugged, waterproof, dustproof, drop-proof and whateverYouWant-proof. Electrical stabilization, with pro and (a lot) con. OP is another device. Complementary. Not a surrogate. The real competitor of a OP, is your phone (with gimbal like Osmo Mobile or Smooth 4). Doing selfie photos/videos looking what you are framing, Motionlapse (hyperlase with gimbal moves), have Narrow field of view, panoramas, focus point, tracking objects... everything you could do, just with you phone (+ a gimbal for some operations). Not an action cam.
2018-12-6
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

nscalernn3 Posted at 12-2 11:21
The gopro doesn't need a phone connection to register it with the manufacturer.  Without a phone you can't even turn on the osmo.  It will not function until it is registered.  Therefore the wireless base they have slated for the future won't work either, because the osmo has to function before it can be used.  Those of us with Micro USB are just SOL.  Getting a cheap phone with USB C would still require another wireless account (more money spent) in order to install the MIMO app and register the Osmo the DJI.  No, that is not an answere the problem.  NO DJI JUST GOT STUPID AND CHEAPED OUT.

Perhaps DJI could create a way to activate the device by connecting to a laptop or desktop and use either "Assistant" or a connection to the forum.  That way the device could be registered and activated at the same time.  A desktop APP would be a welcomed way of connecting and setting default settings as well.
2018-12-6
Use props
Moni Johnson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Luca Rubino Posted at 12-6 04:51
My opinion: GoPro7 and OP are very different kind of gear. If you need an action cam, go to buy a GoPro7. Wide angle, rugged, waterproof, dustproof, drop-proof and whateverYouWant-proof. Electrical stabilization, with pro and (a lot) con. OP is another device. Complementary. Not a surrogate. The real competitor of a OP, is your phone (with gimbal like Osmo Mobile or Smooth 4). Doing selfie photos/videos looking what you are framing, Motionlapse (hyperlase with gimbal moves), have Narrow field of view, panoramas, focus point, tracking objects... everything you could do, just with you phone (+ a gimbal for some operations). Not an action cam.

Exactly how I feel. Two different beasts. Interesting that the two keep getting compared online.
2018-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules