Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic 2 pro "denies" night autolanding
3544 17 2018-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phantom_Film
First Officer
Flight distance : 1609482 ft
Greece

After a night flight when i was trying to land, the mavic 2 pro refused to auto land.
You can hear the sound, when i hold down the left stick, it denies landing. The landing lights where on, i must say that itwas a totally dark placethere.

So i had to turnoff the down sensors and land it my self.
I dont know if something simular happened to anyone else.

2018-12-3
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The same thing happens to me when flying at night. I'm able to eventually land after a few attempts, but it's far easier to just disable the sensors since they aren't designed to be used when flying at night.
2018-12-3
Use props
Phantom_Film
First Officer
Greece

I agrre, but on the other hand isn't the down ligh that turns on when reaching the ground, for night landing?
2018-12-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

As has been said sensors don’t work in low light no need to have them on.
2018-12-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

So much for those Bottom Auxiliary Lights...
2018-12-3
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phantom_Film Posted at 12-3 10:03
I agrre, but on the other hand isn't the down ligh that turns on when reaching the ground, for night landing?

For this fix, you just need to disable the "Landing Protection" setting in DJI GO. The lights will not be affected by that setting.
2018-12-3
Use props
Phantom_Film
First Officer
Greece

No problem by me,  since 2005 i fly rc helis and drones later on, i feel better without sensors if i am not sure for their help.
Thank you msinger.
Roi
2018-12-3
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

I used to have a similar problem with my Phantom, so I started carrying a flashlight when shooting at night.  I would hold the flashlight in my mouth and light up the landing area.  Worked like a charm.
2018-12-4
Use props
Memco
lvl.1

Lol this happened to me yesterday. So I am not the only one with this "issue". But man, even almost a year later. So no fix in the mean time.

Though when it happened to me the first thing that came to my mind is to turn off the landing lights, and yep, after turning it off it came down.

So I was descending it slowly with lights on, when it came to about 1-1.5 m from the ground the drone stopped. I held the stick all the way down and it just hummed in ~2s interval trying to go down few centimeters and back. Just like you can hear in the video above.  Then turned off the LEDs and there we go, landing...

Whats the deal with this DJI?
2019-9-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

Memco Posted at 9-14 03:07
Lol this happened to me yesterday. So I am not the only one with this "issue". But man, even almost a year later. So no fix in the mean time.

Though when it happened to me the first thing that came to my mind is to turn off the landing lights, and yep, after turning it off it came down.

It can’t detect a safe place to land because it’s to dark, it’s not a problem with the craft the problem is with the operator it’s your job to set the correct parameters for conditions you are flying in, I wonder would you prefer it to land in the water or on an unsafe landing area.
It’s not an issue it’s a failsafe but probably better suited to daytime flying .
2019-9-14
Use props
Memco
lvl.1

hallmark007 Posted at 9-14 04:05
It can’t detect a safe place to land because it’s to dark, it’s not a problem with the craft the problem is with the operator it’s your job to set the correct parameters for conditions you are flying in, I wonder would you prefer it to land in the water or on an unsafe landing area.
It’s not an issue it’s a failsafe but probably better suited to daytime flying .

I somehow think you misunderstood my post completely.
They put the LEDs with that exact purpose so it helps with landing in low light. But it does the opposite, instead it prevents you to land the craft. What does that have to do with user error?
2019-9-14
Use props
Memco
lvl.1

Also the ground was clean flat asphalt under it, where it took off from. Forgot to mention that in the first post.
2019-9-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

Memco Posted at 9-14 06:23
I somehow think you misunderstood my post completely.
They put the LEDs with that exact purpose so it helps with landing in low light. But it does the opposite, instead it prevents you to land the craft. What does that have to do with user error?

Landing lights are not preventing you from landing, it’s your sensors that cannot operate in low light, it’s a simple matter for you as the operator to insure these sensors are turned off, they won’t and don’t work at night or in low light.
Know your craft and quit blaming it for not working, you are in charge nobody to hold your hand you have all you need to both land safely and securely at nighttime .
2019-9-14
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

Switch off landing protection, manually turn on the AUX lights if they do not turn on automatically using one of your customisable buttons and the drone will land - just ensure that by turning off the LP the landing area is even and safe to land on.
2019-9-14
Use props
Gimpy
Second Officer

Memco Posted at 9-14 03:07
Lol this happened to me yesterday. So I am not the only one with this "issue". But man, even almost a year later. So no fix in the mean time.

Without more information to base an opinion on, all anyone (including DJI) can offer is speculation. If you'd like something more definitive then retrieve and upload the flight log to PhantomHelp using these instructions and post a link to the uploaded log in this thread.
2019-9-14
Use props
Memco
lvl.1

hallmark007 Posted at 9-14 07:44
Landing lights are not preventing you from landing, it’s your sensors that cannot operate in low light, it’s a simple matter for you as the operator to insure these sensors are turned off, they won’t and don’t work at night or in low light.
Know your craft and quit blaming it for not working, you are in charge nobody to hold your hand you have all you need to both land safely and securely at nighttime .

Oh man like I am talking to a wall.

Are you reading what I am saying?

Lights are ON, the ground is fully lit up, the surface of the ground is visible. There should not be any problem with low light! That's what it's for isn't it?! So that I as the operator and also the drones sensors could see where it's landing.

So why TF could it land only after I switched off the LED lights? How do you explain that?

That is all I want to know.
2019-9-14
Use props
Memco
lvl.1

Maybe it's too bright and the sensors get confused cause the lights are reflecting hard from the ground?
2019-9-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

Memco Posted at 9-14 12:06
Oh man like I am talking to a wall.

Are you reading what I am saying?

Again your talking about different thing, I think it was AJ who told you to turn off landing protection which works with downward sensors if you turn LP off then downward sensors will automatically turn off when landing, or just turn all off., if you can do this then you won’t have a problem, I think if you read this thread from the beginning you might understand .
Auxiliary lights are designed to work with vision position sensors in low light not for or nothing to do with landing, except you can see better where craft is landing, when landing downward sensors automatically turn off.
2019-9-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules