4910 39 2018-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
o_laparoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 753340 ft
Portugal

Hi Everyone,

Recently I sold my DJI Spark in order to upgrade to a more capable drone. This was 'triggered' after I did a wedding gig this past Summer and the photographer/videographer wanted more FPS in FULL HD which the Spark could not deliver.

Hence I find myself now making a pros/cons list of both the Mavic Air and Mavic 2.

Mavic 2 is the more capable drone of the two for sure, but its' weight (907g) and price (1499€) stear me off its' path.

The Mavic Air is more portable (430g), cheaper (950€) and in terms of videos has pratically the same capability of the Mavic 2 since both film at 100MB/s 4K 24/25/30fps.

Would you like to chip in on this struggle?
2018-12-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi o_laparoto, thank you for bringing this query to us. You may visit this link for more information. Thank you for choosing DJI. Cheers!
2018-12-3
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you compared the specs between the two to see which would be the best fit for your needs? If not, check out this comparison:

DJI Consumer Drone Comparison
2018-12-3
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-3 06:50
Hi o_laparoto, thank you for bringing this query to us. You may visit this link for more information. Thank you for choosing DJI. Cheers!

Thanks Gamora,

I am aware of this comparison chart and have looked into it many times already. Still I'm looking for people's opinions on both drones and not just the specs.
2018-12-3
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

msinger Posted at 12-3 06:52
Have you compared the specs between the two to see which would be the best fit for your needs? If not, check out this comparison:

DJI Consumer Drone Comparison

Thanks for replying msinger, and yes, I compared both drones many times already,  but I'm looking for people's opinions on both drones and not just the specs.
2018-12-3
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-3 06:50

Thanks Gamora,

I am aware of this comparison chart and have looked into it many times already. Still I'm looking for people's opinions on both drones and not just the specs.
2018-12-3
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

I know in the specs both drones film with 100MB/s, but what I'm curious about is:
Is the video quality on the Mavic 2 that much better than the video quality on the Mavic Air? Can you literally see it?
Is it worth the extra money?
Is it worth the extra hassle of having a bigger drone?

2018-12-3
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Both of those drones are able to shoot 4K @ 30fps. So, either will satisfy the only requirement you mentioned above.

Is there anything in particular you have a question about?
2018-12-3
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have both the MA and M2P. If I had to chose between the two, I'd stick with the M2P. It has longer flight times and seems to handle better in the wind.
2018-12-3
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

msinger Posted at 12-3 07:03
Both of those drones are able to shoot 4K @ 30fps. So, either will satisfy the only requirement you mentioned above.

Is there anything in particular you have a question about?

MSINGER: you are right, I did not give a lot of detail on my needs.

They are as follows:
Light, small and the portable drone;
4K capability;
1080 with a lot of fps;
Flight time of 15 min minimum;

I mostly fly by day, so the low light capability of the Mavic 2 is cool, but not for me.
2018-12-3
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

FatherXmas Posted at 12-3 07:19
I have both the MA and M2P. If I had to chose between the two, I'd stick with the M2P. It has longer flight times and seems to handle better in the wind.

FartherXmas, I have to agree with you on the points you raised.

Both the battery time and the flight resistance are superior on the Mavic 2.
2018-12-3
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Are you planning on mainly shooting weddings? If so, wind probably won't be a major factor since you'll likely be flying close and near the ground.
2018-12-3
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

msinger Posted at 12-3 07:36
Are you planning on mainly shooting weddings? If so, wind probably won't be a major factor since you'll likely be flying close and near the ground.

Yes MSINGER, I'm probably going to fly always closer to the ground and for sure not above 150m.

So wind is probably not something I need to worry much about.
2018-12-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Maybe consider the 'Zoom' if you are into videography.
Nothing beats a 50mm equivalent that compresses the footage.
Plus it is a little cheaper than the M2P.
2018-12-3
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

In my opinion zoom is the better drone of the 2 mavic 2
Also consider that Mavic Pros 1 and 2 have ocusync, which is 1000000 times better than WiFi, trust me. Once you try ocusync connection you will really see the difference in connection quality, (specially the boosted 1.5w mode))

Flysafely
Alex
2018-12-3
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

have you considered a P4 advanced, these are cheaper than the MP2 and offer pro level video and photo

If it's between the 2 then your choice is either portability or flight time, if you're shooting weddings then I'd value run time over portability as you're going to be lugging a load of tog gear with you anyway and how long does it take to arrange the wedding party??

Personally I'd go for the P4 (if it's just for weddings).
2018-12-3
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

Montfrooij Posted at 12-3 10:26
Maybe consider the 'Zoom' if you are into videography.
Nothing beats a 50mm equivalent that compresses the footage.
Plus it is a little cheaper than the M2P.

Thanks Montfrooij! I was not taking into consideration the Mavic 2 Zoom because it has the same sensor as the Mavic Pro and Mavic Air, but maybe I'm looking at this wrong.
2018-12-3
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

Alex B. Posted at 12-3 12:12
In my opinion zoom is the better drone of the 2 mavic 2
Also consider that Mavic Pros 1 and 2 have ocusync, which is 1000000 times better than WiFi, trust me. Once you try ocusync connection you will really see the difference in connection quality, (specially the boosted 1.5w mode))

Hi Alex B, you are completely right about occusync. It's not even comparable how the drone handles those different connections!
2018-12-3
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

Ridg Posted at 12-3 12:29
have you considered a P4 advanced, these are cheaper than the MP2 and offer pro level video and photo

If it's between the 2 then your choice is either portability or flight time, if you're shooting weddings then I'd value run time over portability as you're going to be lugging a load of tog gear with you anyway and how long does it take to arrange the wedding party??

Thanks Ridg, the thing is the weddings are not the main thing for me. They are just a side gig I do sometimes to help out a friend and earn some extra cash. I would be glad if I earn enough to pay back the drone.
The main is portability as I travel with the drone quite a bit.
2018-12-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

o_laparoto Posted at 12-3 22:46
Thanks Montfrooij! I was not taking into consideration the Mavic 2 Zoom because it has the same sensor as the Mavic Pro and Mavic Air, but maybe I'm looking at this wrong.

It is a different sensor for sure.
Higher bitrate
2018-12-3
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

Montfrooij Posted at 12-3 23:16
It is a different sensor for sure.
Higher bitrate

The Mavic Zoom and the Mavic Air have the same 1/2.3" CMOS sensor and the same max video bitrate of 100MB/s.
Both drones have a higher bitrate then the original Mavic Pro.
2018-12-3
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

o_laparoto Posted at 12-3 07:01
I know in the specs both drones film with 100MB/s, but what I'm curious about is:
Is the video quality on the Mavic 2 that much better than the video quality on the Mavic Air? Can you literally see it?
Is it worth the extra money?

To answer your questions.
Yes, the MP2 video quality is much better than the MA. Noise is a problem with the Air, especially in lower light conditions. (That said, the Air can give you great quality videos as well, in the right conditions.)

Worth the extra money. Not sure, it would depend on your budget and creativity. Some people can get much better footage out of a Spark, than some people can out of a Mavic 2 Pro. Just do a proper look about on this forum for instance, some Spark, Air images is perfectly exposed, video a high quality, while some MP2 images is way over exposed, no detail in the shadows and highlights......So worth the money, if you know how to use the camera to its fullest capability.

Mavic Air fits perfectly, with all it,s extras in a smaller bag, than the MP2 with a few batteries and remote. Again, up to you. I do find the Air set up fast, and easy. Also, the Air can zip up in much smaller spaces, between heavy trees etc for instance. (Personal opinion)

So in low light, late afternoon, early evening conditions, the Air would not be my personal choice for video, especially a wedding, where you have to deliver good quality.
2018-12-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

o_laparoto Posted at 12-3 23:57
The Mavic Zoom and the Mavic Air have the same 1/2.3" CMOS sensor and the same max video bitrate of 100MB/s.
Both drones have a higher bitrate then the original Mavic Pro.

You are talking Mavic Pro (1) and Mavic Zoom right?
They have different sensors for sure.
2018-12-4
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

Montfrooij Posted at 12-4 00:20
You are talking Mavic Pro (1) and Mavic Zoom right?
They have different sensors for sure.

Hi Montfrooij, check the DJI comparison chart between the two drones. Same sensor is shown.
2018-12-4
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

Charissa Posted at 12-4 00:17
To answer your questions.
Yes, the MP2 video quality is much better than the MA. Noise is a problem with the Air, especially in lower light conditions. (That said, the Air can give you great quality videos as well, in the right conditions.)

Thank you Charissa for your detailed input.

You mention a very valid point, it is worth the money if you know what you are doing with that kind of camera.

In low light it seems there is no competition between the two drones since the MP2 has the 1" CMOS which has a wider range of colors.

2018-12-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

o_laparoto Posted at 12-4 01:16
Hi Montfrooij, check the DJI comparison chart between the two drones. Same sensor is shown.

Same specs, but definitively not the same sensor.
MP1 is over 3 years old.
Sensor tech has evolved a lot since then.
2018-12-4
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

Montfrooij Posted at 12-4 01:31
Same specs, but definitively not the same sensor.
MP1 is over 3 years old.
Sensor tech has evolved a lot since then.

Maybe you are right. Not the same sensor, but only the same specs.
2018-12-4
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

o_laparoto Posted at 12-4 01:24
Thank you Charissa for your detailed input.

You mention a very valid point, it is worth the money if you know what you are doing with that kind of camera.

I would have to agree with Montfrooij. Personally, I think the MP Zoom is a great idea for wedding photography. You get all the new and latest goodies that the Mavic 2 has to offer, and a good camera (definitely a upgrade, even thought  the sensor size is the same, the colour profiles, sensor hardware, definitely got a update.)

2018-12-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

o_laparoto Posted at 12-4 01:34
Maybe you are right. Not the same sensor, but only the same specs.

I have never taken them apart, but I am 99,5% sure DJI added the new Sony sensor in the Zoom and not the one they used 3 years ago.
That would be very strange.
2018-12-4
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

The video quality is much better on mavic 2 zoom than on the Mavic Pro 1.
Personally I would go for the zoom for filming, you need to do some post processing work on m2pro , whereas on the zoom the footage is finished. Also it has zoom!
As it goes for the air, then the ocusync just kicks it out of the park me thinks!

Flysafely
Alex
2018-12-4
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

Montfrooij Posted at 12-4 02:02
I have never taken them apart, but I am 99,5% sure DJI added the new Sony sensor in the Zoom and not the one they used 3 years ago.
That would be very strange.

Yes, you are probably correct and it has been mentioned that the color profiles and such have been upgraded.
2018-12-4
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

Alex B. Posted at 12-4 02:08
The video quality is much better on mavic 2 zoom than on the Mavic Pro 1.
Personally I would go for the zoom for filming, you need to do some post processing work on m2pro , whereas on the zoom the footage is finished. Also it has zoom!
As it goes for the air, then the ocusync just kicks it out of the park me thinks!

You make some good points Alex:
The footage on the Mavic Zoom seems to be ready to go.
The Occusync is one heck of a PLUS point.
2018-12-4
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

o_laparoto Posted at 12-4 02:15
You make some good points Alex:
The footage on the Mavic Zoom seems to be ready to go.
The Occusync is one heck of a PLUS point.

That is the plus point that made me choose the Mavic Pro over the air when I was choosing the upgrade from the spark like you are now
That and the stable gimble when going full speed in sports mode. On the air the image tilts from right to left like on the spark when going in sports mode from side to side.
Which was just ruining my spark footage for me

Flysafely
Alex
2018-12-4
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

Alex B. Posted at 12-4 02:19
That is the plus point that made me choose the Mavic Pro over the air when I was choosing the upgrade from the spark like you are now
That and the stable gimble when going full speed in sports mode. On the air the image tilts from right to left like on the spark when going in sports mode from side to side.
Which was just ruining my spark footage for me

What bugs me more about the sports mode filming is when you can see the propellers in the video.
2018-12-4
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

o_laparoto Posted at 12-4 02:26
What bugs me more about the sports mode filming is when you can see the propellers in the video.

I think that you see much more propellers on the air than on the Mavic Pro 1 and 2,
I mean on the spark when I go sports mode I see them all the time, on the Mavic Pro only sometimes.

Flysafely
Alex
2018-12-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

o_laparoto Posted at 12-4 02:11
Yes, you are probably correct and it has been mentioned that the color profiles and such have been upgraded.

Yes, plus the bitrate is increased.
So my best guess is that this is a different (same size) sensor.
2018-12-4
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

Montfrooij Posted at 12-4 02:53
Yes, plus the bitrate is increased.
So my best guess is that this is a different (same size) sensor.

You are most definitely correct Montfrooij
2018-12-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

o_laparoto Posted at 12-4 03:41
You are most definitely correct Montfrooij

So if I had the budget right now, I would seriously consider the 'Zoom' right now.
Mainly for the video capabilities with the zoom option.
You can get a very nice compressed frame at 50mm equivalent already.
Nothing can beat that (not even cropping your frame)
2018-12-4
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

Montfrooij Posted at 12-4 03:44
So if I had the budget right now, I would seriously consider the 'Zoom' right now.
Mainly for the video capabilities with the zoom option.
You can get a very nice compressed frame at 50mm equivalent already.

Montfrooij, the zooming capability does offer some interesting filming options.
2018-12-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

o_laparoto Posted at 12-11 02:35
Montfrooij, the zooming capability does offer some interesting filming options.

Yes, very much.
That is why it would be my first choice!
2018-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules