Phone Connection: Is Anyone Questioning the Amount of Stress ....
12Next >
1872 40 2018-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

The videos I've watched when the Pocket attaches to a phone using the charging/data port don't seem to have any other support holding the weight.  Whether you hold the devices by the phone or the Osmo, the weight is born solely by the jack.  And, if you're using a phone with a case, 1) there is more weight, and 2) the connector may place the weight even further from the Osmo.  Just seems like a bad design that could result in failure of the phone port....and EXPENSIVE repair.  

Anyone else see this as an issue?  When I compare the heavy duty mounting system of the 'original' Osmo(s), this is whimpy !! :-)  
2018-12-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I somewhat am surprised this hasn’t come up, but in reviews not mention of any problems, so could that mean there will be none.
Until someone filming on the water and plop there goes the Phone or the Osmo, hold on to the most expensive one. Lol
2018-12-3
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-3 08:32
I somewhat am surprised this hasn’t come up, but in reviews not mention of any problems, so could that mean there will be none.
Until someone filming on the water and plop there goes the Phone or the Osmo, hold on to the most expensive one. Lol

Agreed.  I just watched Mauro's video review and noticed the phone was slightly tilted (not parallel) the with side of the Pocket.  And in most shots, the photographer was holding the setup with both hands.   https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D549%26typeid%3D549
At least the iPhone is rated waterproof to 2meters :-) IBID.... LOL
2018-12-3
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Only if you try to hold the setup via the pocket and not holding the phone. The units 110 gram is not going to put much stress on the phone connector. I plan on getting a simple pistol grip phone holder to hold the setup for long use.
2018-12-5
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 12-5 08:56
Only if you try to hold the setup via the pocket and not holding the phone. The units 110 gram is not going to put much stress on the phone connector. I plan on getting a simple pistol grip phone holder to hold the setup for long use.

I'm anticipating... a few months from now, the Posting Headers that pronounce:

"Why is my phone falling off my Osmo Pocket? " or,
"Is this supposed to happen?  My Osmo falls off my iPhone?"  
"Will DJI fix my phone? ... Apples says I'm not using the Lightening connector right."
2018-12-5
Use props
Moni Johnson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

This was a concern of mine too.
2018-12-5
Use props
Moni Johnson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-3 08:32
Until someone filming on the water and plop there goes the Phone or the Osmo, hold on to the most expensive one. Lol

"Hold on to the most expensive one." Haha. Good advice.
2018-12-5
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Actually, go watch the DJI's New York launch event video, you'll see a few of the early tester using something like a dedicated phone cradle that holds the phone and the pocket securely. I'm sure that even if those are custom made cradles for the testers, some 3rd party vendor will catch onto the idea an be making them for specific phones.
2018-12-5
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

After a bit of thinking, I concluded that having a phone attached to the OP kind of defeats its purpose. I guess it's been meant to be small, lightweight, portable.... and once you attach phone to it, I guess you are better of with something like OM2... I mean camera specs are pretty mediocre, so most phones do produce better quality videos.. however where OP absolutely shinnes, is the form factor.
2018-12-6
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 12-6 04:15
After a bit of thinking, I concluded that having a phone attached to the OP kind of defeats its purpose. I guess it's been meant to be small, lightweight, portable.... and once you attach phone to it, I guess you are better of with something like OM2... I mean camera specs are pretty mediocre, so most phones do produce better quality videos.. however where OP absolutely shinnes, is the form factor.

Agreed.  I'm less likely to us something like this (the Pocket) loaded with 'attachments'!  A secure, unobtrusive mounting connector should be sufficient for most needs.

Anyhow, I wasn't thinking along the lines that the phone/monitor was necessary (by any extent), only that when/if used, it seemed poorly designed given the purpose of the connector jack in the first place.  Depending on someone else's engineering is never a good idea .... (unless yours IMPROVES on their design)!

After reading/watching other info bits that covered the optional base attachment I concluded that it DOES have a remote capability.  (probably with the base attached)  At least when it's mounted on the base I can set and monitor the unit with a phone or tablet/ipad,   I'm looking forward to seeing if it's practical to set up a shot remotely, then place my phone in my pocket, or something to that effect.  Until then I'll wait for FilMic Pro to enter the game with their Remote App.
2018-12-6
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

Accessories already popping up on Amazon (UK)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honbobo ... ries/dp/B07L12N4C8/
2018-12-6
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nice catch!  THAT looks like a reasonable/functional accessory.  Nice that DJI can rely on the creativity of others.  [  Sorry, that's my only snark of the day!  ]  

Thanks for the link... I'll keep watching.  (not available via US vendors, apparently and the "profile" of the seller is rely limited.  See: " Y-Honbobo " profile link.  Looks like an Asian drop-ship company)
Detailed Seller Information
  • Business Name:shenzhenshihongbaobaokejiyouxiangongsi
  • Trade Register Number:91440300MA5ETUQM4B
  • Business Address:
    • longhuaqufuchengjiedaoqiankengshequxincheng
    • juweihuiguanlandadao55haoketujiadasha3008shi
    • shenzhen
    • guangdong
    • CN

2018-12-6
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

WebParrot Posted at 12-6 06:41
Nice catch!  THAT looks like a reasonable/functional accessory.  Nice that DJI can rely on the creativity of others.  [  Sorry, that's my only snark of the day!  ]  

Thanks for the link... I'll keep watching.  (not available via US vendors, apparently and the "profile" of the seller is rely limited.  See: " Y-Honbobo " profile link.  Looks like an Asian drop-ship company)

Yeah they certainly don't seem too established but hopefully means accessories are coming
2018-12-6
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cameleon Posted at 12-6 06:47
Yeah they certainly don't seem too established but hopefully means accessories are coming

Some apologies, however.  I 'connected' to their Amazon 'store' and discovered a number of other products, some by them, some by PGYTech.  There is a range of accessories for other devices going back to the GoPro Karma.  Anyhow it seems they have limited UK distribution on a number of products.  I'll still keep watching.
2018-12-6
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

WebParrot Posted at 12-6 05:46
Agreed.  I'm less likely to us something like this (the Pocket) loaded with 'attachments'!  A secure, unobtrusive mounting connector should be sufficient for most needs.

Anyhow, I wasn't thinking along the lines that the phone/monitor was necessary (by any extent), only that when/if used, it seemed poorly designed given the purpose of the connector jack in the first place.  Depending on someone else's engineering is never a good idea .... (unless yours IMPROVES on their design)!

It's definitely poorly designed and somehow I suspect it might be even intentionally to boost sales of WiFi accessory as there is no built-in wifi. From business perspective, this is actually brilliant design.
2018-12-6
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 12-6 04:15
After a bit of thinking, I concluded that having a phone attached to the OP kind of defeats its purpose. I guess it's been meant to be small, lightweight, portable.... and once you attach phone to it, I guess you are better of with something like OM2... I mean camera specs are pretty mediocre, so most phones do produce better quality videos.. however where OP absolutely shinnes, is the form factor.

Only if you routinely carry the OM2 with you and it would take you longer to setup your phone on the OM2 then plugging the OP onto your phone. What I plan on is getting a light weight phone handgrip so I can hold the phone/OP setup in one hand if I'm going to film for a longer period of time. The coplete setup is still going to be more compact and weight less than the OM2 setup.
2018-12-6
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

WebParrot Posted at 12-6 06:41
Nice catch!  THAT looks like a reasonable/functional accessory.  Nice that DJI can rely on the creativity of others.  [  Sorry, that's my only snark of the day!  ]  

Already on Amazon US site:

https://www.amazon.com/Honbobo-H ... d=1544112888&sr=1-2

along with a nice little gimbal protector for when you do not want to carry the case.

https://www.amazon.com/Honbobo-G ... d=1544112888&sr=1-4
2018-12-6
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 12-6 08:17
Already on Amazon US site:

https://www.amazon.com/Honbobo-H ... d=1544112888&sr=1-2

Yep.... thanks... just realized the link from @Cameleon had a UK pointer to the UK Amazon thingie  ;-)

Both products have the PGYTECH embossed logo... wonder if there's a relationship.  We've seen a number of PGYTECH products on the DJI Store, too.

Thanks again.... let the accessorization march begin !!
2018-12-6
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I actually have a OP reserve at the Shenzhen DJI store thru a business contact as I'm leaving the US for Asia on holiday on the 13th.  Once it shows up, he'll courier the unit to me. Since it look like Hanbobo is based there also, I'll have him check and see if the holder is available locally sooner.
2018-12-6
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 12-6 08:32
I actually have a OP reserve at the Shenzhen DJI store thru a business contact as I'm leaving the US for Asia on holiday on the 13th.  Once it shows up, he'll courier the unit to me. Since it look like Hanbobo is based there also, I'll have him check and see if the holder is available locally sooner.

Thumbs UP.  That would be a nice 'first hand' report :-)
2018-12-6
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Looks like PGYTECH is the manufacturer and Hanbob is just a retailer/shipper with a Amazon storefront.  

According to some comments here and on various youtube vids. Any USB-C to Mic adapter should work. With the cold shoe on the holder, it will be easy to mount a Rode VideoMicro. I may give that a try if I can get the OP and holder while on vacation.
2018-12-6
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Wiz33 Posted at 12-6 08:10
Only if you routinely carry the OM2 with you and it would take you longer to setup your phone on the OM2 then plugging the OP onto your phone. What I plan on is getting a light weight phone handgrip so I can hold the phone/OP setup in one hand if I'm going to film for a longer period of time. The coplete setup is still going to be more compact and weight less than the OM2 setup.

I totally agree about the weight and stuff for your setup.
Anyway, sooner or later, we will see if current holder/connector design will pass a test of time.
It's 116 grams of lateral strain on phone connector... really having no idea what those connectors are designed to withstand.
2018-12-6
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 12-6 09:18
I totally agree about the weight and stuff for your setup.
Anyway, sooner or later, we will see if current holder/connector design will pass a test of time.
It's 116 grams of lateral strain on phone connector... really having no idea what those connectors are designed to withstand.

For extended use, I would definitely get the PGYTECH holder or something similar. Looks like it also have a 1/4" mount on the bottom and this would work out great for me as I bought this cheap phone grip

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

It's pretty flimsy but the phone mount is mounted to the grip with 1/4" screw so I can just throw away the phone mount and use the holder with the grip and it also acts as a mini tripod.
2018-12-6
Use props
Cabreo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 63196 ft
Italy

I think you could be right, I saw the same potential problem. It would be nice if someone from DJI could give some sort of reassurance here.
2018-12-7
Use props
KerryG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

We have been testing the OP and find we have no issues with the weight of the OP hanging off our iPhones. There are a few things to note though:

1. You have to have a phone connected to use manual exposure modes
2. You have to have a phone connected to use Story modes
3. Some cases that are too thick will not allow for a solid connection as they push the OP too far away from the bottom of the phone
2018-12-7
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

KerryG Posted at 12-7 12:20
We have been testing the OP and find we have no issues with the weight of the OP hanging off our iPhones. There are a few things to note though:

1. You have to have a phone connected to use manual exposure modes

How extensive has your testing been?  Number of connect/disconnect cycles; bumps, while walking, running? position changes, up and down (raising and lowering putting torque on the connection)?

Not to criticize your reply, but we've only seen this thing in public for a few weeks.  My concern is with the ongoing dependence on the connection time after time for months.  The very active users are the ones who will experience the extensive, expensive repair bill of their $$$$ phones if that connections begins having problems....  I'm sure they'll blame it on either Apple or DJI.  FWIW, I wouldn't advise you customers  not to worry about it... you could be added to the list.

I maintain it's a poor engineering presumption to use another's engineered design to "support" your own. Thanks for your reply, though.
2018-12-7
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Heard back from my contact in Shenzhen that the PGYTECH phone holder, lens protector AND ND filter set! are readily available so I'm having him get all 3 for me.
2018-12-8
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-12-10
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-12-10
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-12-10
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

El Diablo Posted at 12-10 02:49
I disagree on the phones producing better video quality. 1st of all they have electronic stabilization instead of a 3-Axis that is faer superior and they don't shoot at 100 MBit/s.

Also and at least on iOs, you are limited to the internal storage of the device and that can be quite tricky for some.

This depends on how do you define quality.
For me, bigger sensor with less pixels usually produces better looking (still) image than the tiny one with a lot of pixels.... Bitrate just shows what camera is theoretically capable of, does not mean it develops its full potential in real world. Incorrect focus on 100 Mbps looks worse than spot on focus with just 20Mbps.
Correct exposure like 1/60s shutter speed in 30 fps video looks better than 1/500s for same fps....
Stabilization is just another factor and it needs to be good enough... good example are Casey Neistat videos recently done in 1080 without stabilization and still looking superb. I guess for the same reason, to me, image from recent phones cameras looks better than with Osmo Pocket (even sponsored influencers mention issues with focus on face and too significant blur on edges). So yeah, quality is a bit of the subjective category.... that's why we have so huge range of various cameras to choose from. To those that define quality based on stabilization mostly, yes, OP is probably the way to go, if you want good dynamic range you go for something else, when global shutter is a must due to vibrations, you get something third, etc.... For family camera (I guess that's the market OP targets), recent phones with eventual sub 100 USD 3-axis gimbals should be more than enough.... if portability is an issue, than OP shinnes like nothing else on the market.
2018-12-10
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-12-10
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

El Diablo Posted at 12-10 04:35
Sure BUT, the sensor on the majority of the higher tier phones and the Osmo Pocket is practically identical. Bitrate is not only theoretical but factual. Focus can be spot on or not in both devices with the Osmo having currently pre-production issues. Exposure and Shutter Speed are far easier to set manually on the Osmo than on the phone (actually iOs devices cannot be set manually unless using 3d party software). Stabilization at 1080p that you are mentioning is non-relevant as we are discussing 4K up to 60fps here. Full HD will be obsolete soon anyway (who shoots Full HD nodaways?).

Regarding the focus issues I believe it will be addressed through a future fw update (otherwise the Pocket will not sell) and I also believe that the marketing department is putting to much emphasis on the vlogging capabilities while for many of us, vlogging is not a priority and therefore the focus issues at the minimum distance will be no problem at all. To be honest, if it was a 'real' vlogging camera it should have better audio or the jack positioned in a better way. Also a native tripod socket and a cold shoe should be standard.

I am a bit more careful and awaiting real reviews to surface... from reviewers that actually bought their device for full retail price (meaning 0 discount from DJI).
2018-12-10
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-12-10
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

El Diablo Posted at 12-10 02:39
I do. So far, I have 2 options that might be applicable to anyone else:

a. Set the Pro parameters and check focus on the phone (I hope you can lock focus like on the Mavic). then use the device alone.

I'm working on a third option... connecting to the Pocket using an "extension" cord, running the cord from the Pocket to my phone.  With either a Lightening Cable or a Thunderbolt 3 (for the USB-C) connector to the Pocket connector.  I could use a phone or tablet.  Only problem so far is finding a cable with a female connection on one end and a male connector on the other.  I don't want a bunch of adapter's hanging off either connection.  Using a phone I can create the settings and just plop the phone into my pocket.  Only a cable running from the pocket...nothing to balance or hang off the side.
2018-12-10
Use props
IftiBashir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Connection to a smartphone is rather firm. I think its more designed to be used two handed in this configuration, rather than single handed anyways - and to be fair it does feel more 'natural' to hold it with two hands when a smartphone is connected.

I demonstrate the connection in this video, and while it does seem rather solid, I wouldn't want to use it one handed in this way : https://forum.dji.com/thread-174406-1-1.html
2018-12-10
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-12-10
Use props
Troc Loc
lvl.1

Vietnam

My solution! Ordered it and waiting for it to come
2018-12-11
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

IftiBashir Posted at 12-10 12:44
Connection to a smartphone is rather firm. I think its more designed to be used two handed in this configuration, rather than single handed anyways - and to be fair it does feel more 'natural' to hold it with two hands when a smartphone is connected.

I demonstrate the connection in this video, and while it does seem rather solid, I wouldn't want to use it one handed in this way : https://forum.dji.com/thread-174406-1-1.html

Saw your video ( I'm a subscriber, too.)  Nice job, and thanks for the 'testimonial.'  I suspect the two-handed grip will help stabilize the 'duck walk' too.  :-)
2018-12-11
Use props
IftiBashir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WebParrot Posted at 12-11 05:32
Saw your video ( I'm a subscriber, too.)  Nice job, and thanks for the 'testimonial.'  I suspect the two-handed grip will help stabilize the 'duck walk' too.  :-)

Thanks!

Oh how I hate that duck walk!! lol
I try not to do it as much as I can in reviews as I guess most people would want to use it 'normally' so would like to see the performance when used with a standard paced walk
2018-12-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules