Are any of you guys selling your footage?
1983 19 2018-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
o_laparoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 753340 ft
Portugal

Which sites do you guys use to sell your drone footage?

Do you get some 'pocket change' with your sales or are you earning big bucks?

At the moment I'm on Adobe Stock / EyeEm / ShutterStock

2018-12-3
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Try dronestock or Adobe stock for video clips. But photos are where it’s at.
2018-12-3
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

DRONE-flies-YOU! Posted at 12-3 09:30
Try dronestock or Adobe stock for video clips. But photos are where it’s at.

Thank you for your reply DRONE-flies-YOU! for your reply.
2018-12-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I sometimes sell pictures via stock sites, but not that many.
And most certainly not worth the effort if you take the price of the drone plus all the time you put into it.
(so I'm flying drone for fun)
Hard to make real money with your footage if you are drone only photographer I guess.
Plus there are so so so so so many talented drone photographers out there you need something special to stand out.
2018-12-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're hoping that you'll get the best recommendation in regards to your query so that you could possibly sell your work as well. Thank you for the support.
2018-12-3
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Here in Spain, in order to be able to charge money for your drone flying, you have to get the pilot license, which is 800/1000 euros, and then there’s the insurance

Flysafely all
Alex
2018-12-3
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

Montfrooij Posted at 12-3 10:30
I sometimes sell pictures via stock sites, but not that many.
And most certainly not worth the effort if you take the price of the drone plus all the time you put into it.
(so I'm flying drone for fun)

Hey Montfrooij, I'm making about $3-$8/month. Selling photos. Sometimes some video. And I agree with you. Not worth the effort taking the price and time into consideration. There are simply too many talented photographers out there to compete with.
2018-12-3
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

DJI Tony Posted at 12-3 12:50
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're hoping that you'll get the best recommendation in regards to your query so that you could possibly sell your work as well. Thank you for the support.

Thanks DJI Tony! Hope so too!
2018-12-3
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

Alex B. Posted at 12-3 16:57
Here in Spain, in order to be able to charge money for your drone flying, you have to get the pilot license, which is 800/1000 euros, and then there’s the insurance

Flysafely all

Hola Alex B. Pues en Portugal aun no es necessario la licença, pero me parece que será dentro de poco tiempo. Tal como el seguro!
2018-12-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

o_laparoto Posted at 12-3 22:43
Hey Montfrooij, I'm making about $3-$8/month. Selling photos. Sometimes some video. And I agree with you. Not worth the effort taking the price and time into consideration. There are simply too many talented photographers out there to compete with.

Same here.
Sometimes a bit more, but that is usually connected to an assignment.
Most of the time linked to making a website and doing the photography also.
2018-12-3
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

I hear that the most money people make with their drones is usually when filming properties for real eastates and things like weddings.

Flysafely all
Alex
2018-12-4
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

Alex B. Posted at 12-4 02:00
I hear that the most money people make with their drones is usually when filming properties for real eastates and things like weddings.

Flysafely all

That is what I have heard too Alex. I made a couple of bucks on a wedding gig and hopefully I'll be invited again for that kind of stuff.
2018-12-4
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

o_laparoto Posted at 12-4 02:09
That is what I have heard too Alex. I made a couple of bucks on a wedding gig and hopefully I'll be invited again for that kind of stuff.

I hear people charging 600/700 euros for a 10 minute video!

Flysafely
Alex
2018-12-4
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

Alex B. Posted at 12-4 02:16

Flysafely

600/700€? WOW!

That needs to be full edited videos that somebody has spent some hours working on it. Not just filming.

Still, I've been hired to make a video for a yacht company and got no way close to those values.
2018-12-4
Use props
JAgraphics
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It depends what it is video/pictures  of....  News channels may want pictures/video of buildings  before the fire/flood/explosion as well as after.

Stock video/photo is big business for the stock libraries but not so much for the contributors to the libraries. A law of diminishing returns.

However the Good News (sort of) is that legislation coming into most countries will require registration, insurance etc for drone operators not just those who are fully commercial. This will reduce the number of drones some what and  under general supply and demand will mean that prices should creep up a bit.

2018-12-4
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

JAgraphics Posted at 12-4 06:46
It depends what it is video/pictures  of....  News channels may want pictures/video of buildings  before the fire/flood/explosion as well as after.

Stock video/photo is big business for the stock libraries but not so much for the contributors to the libraries. A law of diminishing returns.

I believe you might be right about that JAgraphics, but it seems a bit unfortunate to me. Comparing to everyone who has access to a camera and can sell their pictures without a license...

Of course only skilled photographers make the big bucks.
2018-12-4
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
Second Officer
United States

Alex B. Posted at 12-4 02:16

Flysafely

More like 3 minute video or less in the US. Everyone I’ve talked to about this (it comes up every time I’m flying the drone), pays $700 for a 60-second clip. It’s usually only 3 shots, too (drone wise). Pretty crazy! So yea, real estate is a big option.

You may want to try a golf course. The Country Club I live on was actually super intrigued about me shooting the course/property. I was shocked; I thought they’d be more like “stay the hell away.” They wanted video and photos of every hole like they present on TV (as if the drone is the golfball path).

I think it’d be a niche to put those clips on screens in the golf carts. I mean, since there’s 1000s & 1000s of golf courses... gotta have some sort of niche(s).
2018-12-4
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
Second Officer
United States

JAgraphics Posted at 12-4 06:46

Awesome ideas! And agreed on regulation. In the US, hopefully it is just regulated like aviation versus legislated like guns. We’ll see...

I’ve seen what limited regulation in highly skilled professions looks like.
2018-12-4
Use props
JAgraphics
lvl.4
United Kingdom

o_laparoto Posted at 12-4 06:51
I believe you might be right about that JAgraphics, but it seems a bit unfortunate to me. Comparing to everyone who has access to a camera and can sell their pictures without a license...

Of course only skilled photographers make the big bucks.

The difference is you are attaching a camera to an aircraft....

Those with a business plan will survive.
2018-12-5
Use props
o_laparoto
First Officer
Portugal

DRONE-flies-YOU! Posted at 12-4 08:25
More like 3 minute video or less in the US. Everyone I’ve talked to about this (it comes up every time I’m flying the drone), pays $700 for a 60-second clip. It’s usually only 3 shots, too (drone wise). Pretty crazy! So yea, real estate is a big option.

You may want to try a golf course. The Country Club I live on was actually super intrigued about me shooting the course/property. I was shocked; I thought they’d be more like “stay the hell away.” They wanted video and photos of every hole like they present on TV (as if the drone is the golfball path).

That seems like a great idea!
2018-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules