Tried a Litchi Mission that was impossible to fly manually.
1094 28 2018-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

So heres the mission. I've tried it before manually and everytime I fly behind the water tower I lose signal and initiate RTH. I'll post the mission first and then my video discussing the mission and a split screen of 2 attempts with the Mavic Air and 2 with the MPP. MPP was far more stable and smooth.

2018-12-3
Use props
Sky Carrier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 590102 ft
India

Very nice and indeed the MPP was the better of the two. Thanks for sharing
2018-12-3
Use props
Mavic_Jay
First Officer
Flight distance : 2113419 ft
United Kingdom

very nice
2018-12-3
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Sky Carrier Posted at 12-3 15:24
Very nice and indeed the MPP was the better of the two. Thanks for sharing

Yes, I assumed the MPP would be better in the wind but it was an OBVIOUS choice for more stable footage. And the 1st mission with the MA with the gimbal pointed down was actually really awful. I'm surprised it was that unstable. I'll have to do some comparative tests between the Spark, MA, MPP and possibly the Phantom 3 Standard if I can get mine repaired. Using Litchi to fly the same exact mission is a great way to do this since it takes all pilot errors out of the equation.
2018-12-3
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is a very good comparison.
2018-12-3
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 12-3 19:06
This is a very good comparison.

Thanks Woe. Litchi seems like a great tool to do comparative videos. I hope to do more in the future in various conditions (wind, lighting, camera settings, speed) Thanks for watching and commenting.
2018-12-3
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bing Err Posted at 12-3 19:20
Thanks Woe. Litchi seems like a great tool to do comparative videos. I hope to do more in the future in various conditions (wind, lighting, camera settings, speed) Thanks for watching and commenting.

No problem, love watching your movies.

I don't have litchi, but I'm starting to gain interest in it.
2018-12-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Indeed. This is a good comparison
2018-12-3
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

RE: Tried a Litchi Mission that was impossible to fly manually.

I was intrigued by Litchi after watching this and I asked the o/p why no disconnects on the orbits and he told me that it was a Litchi mission.

It was a 100% Litchi mission with the chase craft loaded with the same data but with an offset for separation.

So basically a totally autonomous flight, glad that it all worked, it's a smooth video Litchi Flight at Night

2018-12-4
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 108805200 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done
2018-12-4
Use props
Keego63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10082 ft
Australia

Wow what is that white stuff(I am in Australia), thanks for sharing.
2018-12-4
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Keego63 Posted at 12-4 01:11
Wow what is that white stuff(I am in Australia), thanks for sharing.

We got 8 inches of snow that night. Not a bad total for Minnesota. I do enjoy flying in the snow because it adds an interesting element to the videos.
2018-12-4
Use props
ShermanFlyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United States

Very informative
2018-12-4
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5035761 ft
United States

with both cameras set the same I am surprised by the difference in warmness / while balance between the two.  which of the two comes closest to the actual lighting at the time.. I assume that the water tower is lit with sodium lamps or some other high voltage industrial flood lights?

second, while I think the PP did better in flight, seems the video motion especially in the faster segments is noticeably smoother especially upper right vs bottom right.. the air even though its should be recording at a higher bitrate.. seems smoother than the PP.. possibly the litchi mission straining the processor of the PP more or perhaps the camera board on the air is just a better all over processing chip than on the PP

also upper right captured more snow blowing around than the PP.. but that could have been jut the environmentals at the time

I think the PP had better overall contrast and or dynamic range.. I can see more details in the shadow portions of the video than on the air

nice comparison..

makes me happy that I picked up a mavic pro for 1/3 the cost of a mavic 2 and a coupe hundred less than an air!!
2018-12-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

MPP In #3 looks the best flight, maybe wind a little strong for MavAir, but video in MPP is very cold or blue with lots of noise, MavAir is a much warmer looking video, you never mentioned settings, I would expect the bigger craft to do better in the wind, MavAir has a tendency to pitch lower in heavy winds to cope, we see this with obstacle sensors being dropped for stable flight.

Although I’m sure you were close, but if you were not then in a RTH into the wind the MavAir will seriously out preform the MPP, many Mavic Pro lost because of slow speed into wind on RTH .

Overall great video thanks for showing.
2018-12-4
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hah!  If I had a big yellow ear of corn in my back-yard I would probably try to fly my drone around that thing to.   Cool shots!  Wonder if it might look just as good doing a Point of Interest (POI) shot from 'above' it (pointing downward), then speed-ramping the footage around it (in post editing).  If you get above the tower it might fix the interference issue as well.  Just a thought...thanks for sharing!  Good stuff...
2018-12-4
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RGMGFitness Posted at 12-4 09:29
Hah!  If I had a big yellow ear of corn in my back-yard I would probably try to fly my drone around that thing to.   Cool shots!  Wonder if it might look just as good doing a Point of Interest (POI) shot from 'above' it (pointing downward), then speed-ramping the footage around it (in post editing).  If you get above the tower it might fix the interference issue as well.  Just a thought...thanks for sharing!  Good stuff...

I will try that. Haven't used the POI in Litchi yet, but I will figure it out. I'll also compare it to active track with the DJI Go 4 app. Good Idea! Thanks
2018-12-4
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-4 07:58
MPP In #3 looks the best flight, maybe wind a little strong for MavAir, but video in MPP is very cold or blue with lots of noise, MavAir is a much warmer looking video, you never mentioned settings, I would expect the bigger craft to do better in the wind, MavAir has a tendency to pitch lower in heavy winds to cope, we see this with obstacle sensors being dropped for stable flight.

Although I’m sure you were close, but if you were not then in a RTH into the wind the MavAir will seriously out preform the MPP, many Mavic Pro lost because of slow speed into wind on RTH .

Good tip on the slow RTH with Mavic Pro. Thanks
2018-12-4
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 12-4 04:52
with both cameras set the same I am surprised by the difference in warmness / while balance between the two.  which of the two comes closest to the actual lighting at the time.. I assume that the water tower is lit with sodium lamps or some other high voltage industrial flood lights?

second, while I think the PP did better in flight, seems the video motion especially in the faster segments is noticeably smoother especially upper right vs bottom right.. the air even though its should be recording at a higher bitrate.. seems smoother than the PP.. possibly the litchi mission straining the processor of the PP more or perhaps the camera board on the air is just a better all over processing chip than on the PP

Yes, I'm very happy I held off of the M2P and got the MPP instead. I'm having a blast with it. Also, I agree there is probably some wind and snow factors that are not quite the same in each video. I could do the same shots on a calm day and maybe throw in the Spark to get a nice comparison in daylight. I still think the MPP outperformed in stability in the wind.
2018-12-4
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Boffin Posted at 12-4 00:09
I was intrigued by Litchi after watching this and I asked the o/p why no disconnects on the orbits and he told me that it was a Litchi mission.

It was a 100% Litchi mission with the chase craft loaded with the same data but with an offset for separation.

That's an EPIC video and one of the reasons I bought Litchi. Also, the reason I bought the app on Android and iOS. Once I get more comfortable with Litchi I want to put 3 drones in the air at once and do some formations. Dirty Bird was the inspiration for all this, but it'll take a while to get to his level.
2018-12-4
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Interesting try. Thanks for sharing.
2018-12-4
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Great flight, nice video
2018-12-5
Use props
BHProductions
First Officer
Flight distance : 43018593 ft
United States

Very informative! Thanks! I may have to get in to using Litchi for some projects I have in mind.
2018-12-5
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

I was wondering if it was rain or snow I have heard of Litchi but not checked it out, maybe a good idea Great footage BTW.
2018-12-7
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

Bing Err Posted at 12-4 03:23
We got 8 inches of snow that night. Not a bad total for Minnesota. I do enjoy flying in the snow because it adds an interesting element to the videos.

Yeah, but isn't the moisture bad for the drone?

2018-12-10
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Bluehook Posted at 12-10 15:47
Yeah, but isn't the moisture bad for the drone?

It gets VERY dry in Minnesota during the winter. So any small amount of moisture picked up during the flight would immediately evaporate when brought inside. I'm sure more moisture damage would be done long-term by just living in a more humid environment like the NW Coast or Southern sates like Florida or Louisiana. Third winter flying in the snow and no damage yet.

THANKS FOR WATCHING!
2018-12-10
Use props
AMZPOW
Second Officer

United States

flying in the snow must be a amazing thing
2018-12-10
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

AMZPOW Posted at 12-10 22:05
flying in the snow must be a amazing thing

Light snowfall looks really good on camera, and catches a lot of light and makes city lights glow. But heavy snow just reduces visibility too much to make it worth it. Here's a 360 pano I shot last winter with the Spark during light snowfall. Notice on the horizon it just fades to white since the visibility is reduced.
snowglobe.jpg
2018-12-10
Use props
AMZPOW
Second Officer

United States

Bing Err Posted at 12-10 23:55
Light snowfall looks really good on camera, and catches a lot of light and makes city lights glow. But heavy snow just reduces visibility too much to make it worth it. Here's a 360 pano I shot last winter with the Spark during light snowfall. Notice on the horizon it just fades to white since the visibility is reduced.

thanks for the useful information . I love the photo you show to me, wonderful!
2018-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules