MAVIC 2 CRASH: took off and hit! Drone problems? What i do now?
12Next >
6590 44 2018-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ZmaroSobrinho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7058809 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

I already read the manual several times, I've watched all the videos and can not find any other explanation except that there was some error in the drone. Here are the photos of how he stayed and I even have a video showing what happened.
Attached to this post I leave the flight log and the like.
Can someone explain to me how to contact dji to review my case?

airdata log: https://app.airdata.com/share/xZcOdI

my youtube channel ishttps://www.youtube.com/zmaro

0acd7690-ba65-4e9b-bd3e-f7d10bd1a8c7.jpg
0dcd6140-c2e2-41d8-8a8e-6afd2c5fb733.jpg

ExportCSV_2018-11-27_[14-48-09].rar

939 Bytes, Down times: 5

log

2018-12-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day ZmaroSobrinho. I am sorry to know that your DJI Mavic 2 Pro crashed. This is not the experience we want you to have with your DJI drone. Since this crash happened the best thing you need to do is to contact DJI support at https://www.dji.com/support to create and open a ticket for your drone. Please sync the flight records as well of your drone for further analysis. Thank you.

2018-12-4
Use props
DrMagical
lvl.4
Flight distance : 959879 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry about your loss. Looks like just a simple crash on a windy day. You were very near a concrete wall and went into it!
2018-12-4
Use props
Ricardo Ghion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1042037 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Pelos dados que são mais precisos que o App, parece que vc o voo com 6 satelites, depois diminuiram para 4, o vento levou o drone para a parede.s
2018-12-4
Use props
S.D. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow it looks like GPS went from 10 to 4? from the data it looks there's little to no GPS sates in 46-47 seconds before it fell from approx.18 ft.
When flying near that house was there a lot of trees or any obstacles overhead? Also did you take off when the MP2 was showing a yellow bar on your device?

Hang tight, I'm sure others on here will also analysis the data.

2018-12-4
Use props
Ricardo Ghion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1042037 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

o que achei estranho que no app, mostra 10 satelites ate o fim do voo, mas os dados nnao mostram isso. pode ser algum erro do app.
2018-12-4
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

sorry for your loss, looks terrible!

At 4.28 drone started to yaw left, gps count and reception seems ok that time, did it loose a blade?  ( i see only 3 damaged ones on the pictures)
After closing in to the building sat count dropped, not really strange that time.

Can you upload your flightlog using this link > http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
( using this link will show more details than the links above)

cheers
JJB
2018-12-4
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Took off in Position mode.....which is VPS?   Then was out of control, or was controlled into the building........Log does show " took off in Manual Mode "

That's a tough crash,  very sorry.

Randy
2018-12-4
Use props
Vendex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16722920 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Very sorry for the situation. How was the wind in the moment of take off?
2018-12-4
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like it took a gust of wind shortly after take off.  Whenever it's that windy I would rather take of in a wide open area not in a limited space like your deck just in case the wind takes it before the drone can control it.  Sorry, but I would have to say pilot error on this one.
2018-12-4
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with JJBSpark, I'd like to see your logs via the PhantomHelp website.  The AirData logs just don't show a lot of the vital information.  As far as I can see, they don't show any stick input at all.  Without seeing that, I think we all would only be guessing at what may have happened.  

Having said that, 9 or 10 satellites is skirting on the edge of a good signal.  Combine that with a very stiff/gusty wind and it presents a challenging scenario when obstacles are close by.

I'd love to see your log:  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

2018-12-4
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

KlooGee Posted at 12-4 12:54
I agree with JJBSpark, I'd like to see your logs via the PhantomHelp website.  The AirData logs just don't show a lot of the vital information.  As far as I can see, they don't show any stick input at all.  Without seeing that, I think we all would only be guessing at what may have happened.  

Having said that, 9 or 10 satellites is skirting on the edge of a good signal.  Combine that with a very stiff/gusty wind and it presents a challenging scenario when obstacles are close by.

Yep, and don`t think its a pilot error. Drone steady at take-off, fwd pitch and drone start to follow, than yawing real fast. Or the OP had to sneeze very hard and accidentally push yaw left...

Flight log will tell more i hope.

cheers
JJB
2018-12-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

From the video it looks like OA on the back of the craft kicked in , and then you just turned craft into the wall. The PH log will show stick movements so should clear that theory up, it looked pretty windy which is just one more obstacle.
2018-12-4
Use props
S.D. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Okay I didn't actually see the video before (had trouble viewing on my PC).

Okay now that I've seen the video, I completely agree with Hallmark.

It's as clear as day that was pilot panic error.

Craft did exactly what it was supposed to do which is that the sensor pick up the wall behind the craft and the pilot (OP) panicked and appears to have turned right into the wall.

The video is all I need to see what happened there.

OP you had that giant patch of grass to fly. Next time fly in a much wider space and not take any chances flying in such close to walls/building.
2018-12-4
Use props
S.D. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

To the OP, once you hear the sensors, let go of the sticks of the RC, don't touch them until you can clearly see where the craft is. Was the MPs within sight? Did you get confused with the sticks movement? that can happen too in a moment of panic.
2018-12-4
Use props
ZmaroSobrinho
lvl.4
  • >>>
Brazil

S.D. Pilot Posted at 12-4 16:24
To the OP, once you hear the sensors, let go of the sticks of the RC, don't touch them until you can clearly see where the craft is. Was the MPs within sight? Did you get confused with the sticks movement? that can happen too in a moment of panic.

please, see this viideo of dji go:
2018-12-4
Use props
ZmaroSobrinho
lvl.4
  • >>>
Brazil

here is the video of the flight application on crash
2018-12-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ZmaroSobrinho Posted at 12-4 16:32
here is the video of the flight application on crash

Is there a building missing only it looks like the crash but it’s hard to see what it hit, I think the warnings at the end gimbal max roll are after it hit some thing, last stick movements showing in video show Yaw left and down .
I think it may show more in phantom help logs, information on how close to the wall would also help only you can know that or did wind shift it slightly ?
2018-12-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

here is the video of the flight application on crash

Ok I see you were close to a concrete pillar, it doesn’t look like a malfunction but who knows your craft stores more information and should be shipped back to dji for their conclusion.
I wish you luck .
2018-12-4
Use props
S.D. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ZmaroSobrinho Posted at 12-4 16:31
please, see this viideo of dji go: https://youtu.be/Ulz7qBN3cpw

Yup video shows that it looks like the drone took off you went forward, slightly went to the right then sensors went off - obstacle behind the drone. Video warnings of obstacles above and the rear of the craft.

Data will provide detail info for sure but from the video, it looks like surrounding environment was too tight.

2018-12-4
Use props
S.D. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Valuable lesson for sure. No sweat, happens to a lot including myself.
So to answer your question, I guess send it back to DJI to see what they say, repair it or take a hit and buy another one.

Experience is the best teacher so keep flying !

2018-12-4
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-12-4
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Sorry for the crash
Just wanted to tell you, that NEVER underestimate the power of the wind!
I lost my first spark and almost lost my Mavic Pro due to very strong winds!
Use uavforecast app, it tells you the exact wind speed of every altitude up to 1500 meters, where you are flying, super useful app.
I hope you are back in the air soon, good luck with DJI.

Flysafely all
Alex
2018-12-4
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

here is the video of the flight application on crash

Hiya,

I read many thoughts about what happend, don`t think that if your drone was taken by the wind it will starts to yaw left....
In panic? maby yes  or mayby not. I cannot tell without seeing this flightlog.

So be so kind to upload your log.

If the back obstacle sensor sense it does not initiate a yaw movement.

Interesting to see, high pitch angles (why if OP slowly picthed fwd? wind shears could be the cause), yawing starts when no obstacles are seen.Btw, little blue line (top compass) indicates yaw move of the gimbal. This is only see when the yaw move is rapid, gimbal yaw moves in the direction of the ac yaw, its heading is turned into AC yaw direction and is little ahead of AC heading. I have seen this phenomen known on this forum as the "Yaw glitch".

So hope that the OP will publish this flightlog.

cheers
JJB
compass1.png
compass2.png
compass3.png
2018-12-4
Use props
Jair Fonseca
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2382 ft
United States

This is unfortunate, probably the Drone lost the GPS signal.
2018-12-5
Use props
bikoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1534987 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

it's better to send email to support@dji.com
2018-12-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Get it shipped back under warranty.
2018-12-5
Use props
DanielVieira
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Like above said better send the drone to DJI and have them to see what happen...
2018-12-5
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-12-5
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

El Diablo Posted at 12-5 02:15
So could he have lost a prop mid flight from "poor" installation?

Hi,

Mayby....but its just a guess. FlightLog will tell more i hope.
And if wind is blowing away a drone the heading will not change dramatically like in this flight!

It is to easy to say Pilot Error without seeing this log, but #16 shows 100% yaw left...so looks like a pilot error.
Still like to see his log.

cheers
JJB
2018-12-5
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-12-5
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Sorry to read the mate
2018-12-5
Use props
S.D. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JJBspark Posted at 12-5 02:41
Hi,

Mayby....but its just a guess. FlightLog will tell more i hope.

"And if wind is blowing away a drone the heading will not change dramatically like in this flight!"

Exactly, I've flown in 20-28 mph wind/gusts of wind and never had the craft behave in such a dramatic way, especially when in S-mode.
2018-12-5
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

JJBspark Posted at 12-4 23:52
Hiya,

I read many thoughts about what happend, don`t think that if your drone was taken by the wind it will starts to yaw left....

JJB, check out the video he posted in post #16.  The yaw came from stick input.  Although, it would be much easier to see by looking at the data in the log.

With what we've seen so far, I think it is a combination of factors combined that caused the crash.
  • Firstly, choosing to fly in high wind significantly increases the risk factor
  • Secondly, choosing to fly close to objects (such as buildings) significantly increases the risk factor
  • Thirdly, there were only 9 or 10 satellites locked in at the time of the event.  This is very close to the minimum and can have a negative impact on location accuracy and margin of error.  Additionally, the aircraft was very close to a taller building and went around a corner blocking line of site to some satellites.  I can imagine this could contribute to location accuracy and margin of error for the GPS system.
  • Combine high wind near buildings and the wind speed can be multiplied due to the funneling effect and can cause unpredictable wind speeds and directions as it swirls around the building
  • On top of that, add the fact that the rear object avoidance sensors kicked in and it probably tried to hit the brakes created another variable to the highly dynamic situation
  • Once the rear OA sensors kicked in, the pilot did not actively try to move away from the object (building) being detected.

I think it is the combination of all of these factors that lead to the crash.  Ultimately it is up to the pilot to choose when and where to fly (or not fly) and it is up to them to be the one to choose to break the chain of events that usually lead up to a crash like this.

I would highly recommend getting in contact with DJI and having them evaluate the data and see if they are willing to cover under warranty or not.  I'm not sure they will be willing to given what I've seen so far, but I could very well be wrong and DJI may interpret things differently.

This isn't the most entertaining video (maybe best watched at 1.5x or 2x speed), but I think the sentiment rings true.

2018-12-5
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

KlooGee Posted at 12-5 08:43
JJB, check out the video he posted in post #16.  The yaw came from stick input.  Although, it would be much easier to see by looking at the data in the log.

With what we've seen so far, I think it is a combination of factors combined that caused the crash.

Hi KG, guess u missed my #30.  

and i agree, it a long video bit worth watching!

cheers
JJB
2018-12-5
Use props
ZmaroSobrinho
lvl.4
  • >>>
Brazil

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-4 07:59
Hello and good day ZmaroSobrinho. I am sorry to know that your DJI Mavic 2 Pro crashed. This is not the experience we want you to have with your DJI drone. Since this crash happened the best thing you need to do is to contact DJI support at https://www.dji.com/support to create and open a ticket for your drone. Please sync the flight records as well of your drone for further analysis. Thank you.

[view_image]

thanks, i will do this. Thank you, I intend to do this. But since I live in Brazil and DJI does not have official assistance here I would like to know if the warranty will cover the repair so I can send the drone to the United States
2018-12-6
Use props
ZmaroSobrinho
lvl.4
  • >>>
Brazil

DrMagical Posted at 12-4 08:04
Sorry about your loss. Looks like just a simple crash on a windy day. You were very near a concrete wall and went into it!

the wind was not too strong no. What apparently happened was that the aircraft lost its balance when I dropped the stick nunto with a blow of wind
2018-12-6
Use props
ZmaroSobrinho
lvl.4
  • >>>
Brazil

Ricardo Ghion Posted at 12-4 08:17
Pelos dados que são mais precisos que o App, parece que vc o voo com 6 satelites, depois diminuiram para 4, o vento levou o drone para a parede.s

os satelites eram 10 ao decolar. O que ocorreu foi que logo que soltei os sticks o drone tomou um vento contrário e o fez perder o equilibrio. Essa foi a impressão que tive e por isto quero ver se a garantia da dji vai me ajudar
2018-12-6
Use props
ZmaroSobrinho
lvl.4
  • >>>
Brazil

S.D. Pilot Posted at 12-4 08:21
Wow it looks like GPS went from 10 to 4? from the data it looks there's little to no GPS sates in 46-47 seconds before it fell from approx.18 ft.
When flying near that house was there a lot of trees or any obstacles overhead? Also did you take off when the MP2 was showing a yellow bar on your device?

thanks for the analysis I had the impression that the drone was tilted when I went forward, and when I released the stick came a wind and the drone lost its balance. I think it's a failure in the equipment because it was not even windy either
2018-12-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

ZmaroSobrinho Posted at 12-6 08:05
thanks, i will do this. Thank you, I intend to do this. But since I live in Brazil and DJI does not have official assistance here I would like to know if the warranty will cover the repair so I can send the drone to the United States

Thank you for the reply. May I know when did you purchase the drone?
2018-12-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules