Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
TB50 c-rating / max power draw
17403 64 2018-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc36ae5b4
lvl.1
United States

Flo the Pirate Posted at 6-25 07:00
Sounds interesting  ... you do know that there is a limo cable (think it´s 12 pin) to physically remove the cradle from the ronin to get weight of the gimbal ? this might be your power in for your new solution ? look for the pin out of the TB50 on the inspirepilots forum so you know what all different pins are used for - my guess is that those 12 pin on the limo represent the 12 pins on the battery

Yup, we've already butchered one of those cables to try and lighten it - 6 feet was way more than we needed to reach where the battery box sits on top of the aircraft. We think we can even remove one of the lemo connectors on the battery end (they're heavy!), but our current Ronin 2 is a rental - so I'm not going to disassemble this battery box to see what's inside. When I get my own, I'll post a picture of the guts.

Burned out my first board from a dead TB50 today by connecting directly to the balance connector of one of our flight batteries - it seems the DJI batteries are wired differently inside, so that each balance lead sees only a single cell (and not the combined voltage of that cell and the ones before it). Now I'm thinking I could trick the BMS by just using a 4v DC regulator and splitting that out to replicate the feed from each individual cell. A second larger buck converter will provide 24v; the combined weight should still be 1/4 that of a new TB50 and I would only need a single 48v connection going into the dummy battery.
2019-6-25
Use props
Flo the Pirate
First Officer
Austria

fansc36ae5b4 Posted at 6-25 14:38
Yup, we've already butchered one of those cables to try and lighten it - 6 feet was way more than we needed to reach where the battery box sits on top of the aircraft. We think we can even remove one of the lemo connectors on the battery end (they're heavy!), but our current Ronin 2 is a rental - so I'm not going to disassemble this battery box to see what's inside. When I get my own, I'll post a picture of the guts.

Burned out my first board from a dead TB50 today by connecting directly to the balance connector of one of our flight batteries - it seems the DJI batteries are wired differently inside, so that each balance lead sees only a single cell (and not the combined voltage of that cell and the ones before it). Now I'm thinking I could trick the BMS by just using a 4v DC regulator and splitting that out to replicate the feed from each individual cell. A second larger buck converter will provide 24v; the combined weight should still be 1/4 that of a new TB50 and I would only need a single 48v connection going into the dummy battery.

... I thought you would want to attache the butchered end to your normal drone batteries and get rid of the TB50s and cradle ?

check out this thread : https://inspirepilots.com/thread ... in-out.17665/page-2 for all info on pin outs of TB50 ... looks like plus is on 4 pins and minus on 3 pins so heat gets better distributed on high power draw ....

what my concern is when using the battery adapter that Matt is suggesting is that it might just be connected to one plus and one minus pin as charging is done with way less power (not sure if this is the right word ;)) .... that at least was my concern when I thought about using those charging cables for my cablecam that has thick cables going from the battery to the motor . I thought about disassembling a charger and taking the connecter from there as you can attache the wires to all pins yourself . Also you can order those connectors from aliexpress if you take 200 pieces ;)

looking forward to see the cradle disassembled if you are still planning to do it !!!!
2019-6-26
Use props
Flo the Pirate
First Officer
Austria

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 6-25 10:26
Here's an fully charged TB50 battery powering 24V halogen bulb on Angel discharger with a help of Inspire 2 Remote Controller Charging CableUSD $12. The discharge process takes about 15 minutes and adapter's wiring is not abused much with 6.25A draw. It should handle 10A easily. Triggering plug can't be disassembled to access internal guts and soldering points because it's embedded in plastic mold. Perhaps cutting off original cable just behind multi-pin plug and soldering 12 AWG wires with XT60 terminal instead will allow for bigger drain, if necessary.

That´s a nice set up ! I was looking into how to better store my batteries ! Please ready my reply/concern in my reply to Fansc36ae5b4 .... what do you think ?

2019-6-26
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Flo the Pirate Posted at 6-26 04:21
That´s a nice set up ! I was looking into how to better store my batteries ! Please ready my reply/concern in my reply to Fansc36ae5b4 .... what do you think ?

Flo, at this moment a have no need nor desire to further investigate the issue of custom applications for TB50 batteries. I have a decent and proven custom solution for field charging and maintaining a variety of my DJI smart batteries, that's it. One of these days I may perform an autopsy on some dead TB50 - just to see what's inside - but for now I can't really contribute much more to your project ...
2019-6-26
Use props
Flo the Pirate
First Officer
Austria

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 6-26 11:00
Flo, at this moment a have no need nor desire to further investigate the issue of custom applications for TB50 batteries. I have a decent and proven custom solution for field charging and maintaining a variety of my DJI smart batteries, that's it. One of these days I may perform an autopsy on some dead TB50 - just to see what's inside - but for now I can't really contribute much more to your project ...

Hi Matt,

thanks for all the input you give ! Feels like you are one of those view who come back here from time to time - not to only complain but share some knowledge ! Thank you man ! Looking forward to read your write up on the TB50 !!
2019-6-26
Use props
fansc36ae5b4
lvl.1
United States

Flo the Pirate Posted at 6-26 04:16
... I thought you would want to attache the butchered end to your normal drone batteries and get rid of the TB50s and cradle ?

check out this thread : https://inspirepilots.com/threads/inspire-2-tb50-pin-out.17665/page-2 for all info on pin outs of TB50 ... looks like plus is on 4 pins and minus on 3 pins so heat gets better distributed on high power draw ....

Thanks for that link! I hadn't been able to find any TB50 teardowns and that answers a few of our questions.

Definitely still planning to get one of the dual battery boxes and disassemble it. It would be great if we could eliminate the box entirely! But I'm worried that it has circuitry or voltage regulators that the Ronin will not turn on without. So the idea would be 6s flight battery -> dummy TB50/board -> board from ronin dual battery mount -> butchered power cable for Ronin 2.

It's gonna be an expensive hack, but might be the best way to pull power from a TB50, and the lightest way to do so for a Ronin 2...
2019-7-10
Use props
Flo the Pirate
First Officer
Austria

fansc36ae5b4 Posted at 7-10 20:07
Thanks for that link! I hadn't been able to find any TB50 teardowns and that answers a few of our questions.

Definitely still planning to get one of the dual battery boxes and disassemble it. It would be great if we could eliminate the box entirely! But I'm worried that it has circuitry or voltage regulators that the Ronin will not turn on without. So the idea would be 6s flight battery -> dummy TB50/board -> board from ronin dual battery mount -> butchered power cable for Ronin 2.

would love to see that tear down in detail - please get some shots and post them here?
2019-7-14
Use props
Flo the Pirate
First Officer
Austria

Definitely still planning to get one of the dual battery boxes and disassemble it. It would be great if we could eliminate the box entirely! But I'm worried that it has circuitry or voltage regulators that the Ronin will not turn on without. So the idea would be 6s flight battery -> dummy TB50/board -> board from ronin dual battery mount -> butchered power cable for Ronin 2.

would love to see that tear down in detail - please get some shots and post them here?
2019-7-14
Use props
Flo the Pirate
First Officer
Austria

Definitely still planning to get one of the dual battery boxes and disassemble it. It would be great if we could eliminate the box entirely! But I'm worried that it has circuitry or voltage regulators that the Ronin will not turn on without. So the idea would be 6s flight battery -> dummy TB50/board -> board from ronin dual battery mount -> butchered power cable for Ronin 2.

also look at that .... as tb50 are hotswappable you might just use 1 and save weight ? this will still last way longer than your drone can fly

https://www.4kshooters.net/wp-co ... -e1559834035757.jpg
2019-7-14
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 6-26 11:00
Flo, at this moment a have no need nor desire to further investigate the issue of custom applications for TB50 batteries. I have a decent and proven custom solution for field charging and maintaining a variety of my DJI smart batteries, that's it. One of these days I may perform an autopsy on some dead TB50 - just to see what's inside - but for now I can't really contribute much more to your project ...

Unless you are a electronics expert, its not worth the trouble  
Rich

IMG_9672.jpg IMG_9673.jpg IMG_9676.jpg IMG_9677.jpg IMG_9681.jpg IMG_9978.jpg IMG_9979.jpg IMG_9980.jpg
2019-7-14
Use props
Flo the Pirate
First Officer
Austria

RichJ53 Posted at 7-14 21:55
Unless you are a electronics expert, its not worth the trouble  
Rich

thanks for showing that !!!!
2019-7-25
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Flo the Pirate Posted at 7-25 06:35
thanks for showing that !!!!

You are welcome. I don't want to appear negative, but the batteries are intended to be thrown away and force you to buy new ones....

I did a video on this teardown and then decided not to post it on youtube because most users would not be able to fix much with this design.

Rich
2019-7-25
Use props
Flo the Pirate
First Officer
Austria

RichJ53 Posted at 7-25 08:01
You are welcome. I don't want to appear negative, but the batteries are intended to be thrown away and force you to buy new ones....

I did a video on this teardown and then decided not to post it on youtube because most users would not be able to fix much with this design.

Hi Rich,

I never intended to fiddel around inside a TB50 but it is still interesting to see the design. I think I read lots of stuff from you over at the inspirepilots before! What I am desperately looking for is a tear down of the ronin 2 dual battery cradle - are you also into gimbals ?
2019-7-26
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Flo the Pirate Posted at 7-26 01:48
Hi Rich,

I never intended to fiddel around inside a TB50 but it is still interesting to see the design. I think I read lots of stuff from you over at the inspirepilots before! What I am desperately looking for is a tear down of the ronin 2 dual battery cradle - are you also into gimbals ?

Sorry to get off your topic.... I do not have any experience with Ronin 2 or larger hand held gimbal systems. I have the original OMSO 4K unit.

Depending what you are trying to accomplish, DJI guards the electronic design close to the vest. If you can find out the battery pin-outs you might be able to substitute other battery configurations.  As you probably are aware in China many designs are copied and resold undercutting the OEMs.

Best of luck with your search and possible reach out to Cloud City Drones. These guys are very helpful and could answer your questions
https://www.cloudcitydrones.com/
Rich
2019-7-26
Use props
Difisi
lvl.1

Romania

Max current is 10 AMP
source: newsshooter(dot)com/2018/02/22/ignite-digi-tb50-battery-to-movi-pro-adapters
2020-4-19
Use props
Difisi
lvl.1

Romania

So C rating is 10/4.28= 2.33C
2020-4-19
Use props
Difisi
lvl.1

Romania

If you love disassembly vid's as I do, check this video tearing down the TB50: youtu(dot)be/Bn2Z3XGM-8E?t=350
2020-4-19
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Difisi Posted at 4-19 14:04
If you love disassembly vid's as I do, check this video tearing down the TB50: youtu(dot)be/Bn2Z3XGM-8E?t=350

I actually made a video back when I took the photos earlier in this thread. I decided not to share the video due to difficulty it is to get the case apart without damage and safety. In my case I repaired the TB50 battery and it could return back to service. These packs have a lot of energy stored inside. DJI glues the case together along with 8 tab hooks  and separating the case halves with special tools could puncture one of the battery cells causing a fire.
In the case of a dead battery no worries, but it would not be a suitable repair.. LiPo cells do not like being at zero voltage.

thanks for sharing
Rich
2020-4-19
Use props
Flo the Pirate
First Officer
Austria

Difisi Posted at 4-19 14:04

thanx for sharing !
2020-4-19
Use props
Flo the Pirate
First Officer
Austria

after lots of research and help from different rc communities my project is finished and works like i dreamed it up

2020-4-19
Use props
Artur73
lvl.1
Flight distance : 135722 ft
Armenia

in is any know how can read date from TB50 and TB55?
2020-6-17
Use props
Artur73
lvl.1
Flight distance : 135722 ft
Armenia

I find some info from internet  https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slua707/slua707.pdf . In this battery us  BQ76925 +MSP430FR5870 + BQ34Z100 + BQ76208
2020-6-19
Use props
bitframe
lvl.1

Austria

Flo the Pirate Posted at 4-19 23:54
after lots of research and help from different rc communities my project is finished  and works like i dreamed it up

[view_image]

can you tell us more details about the project?
2020-10-3
Use props
Jaan Kronberg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 25054951 ft
  • >>>
Estonia

Flo the Pirate Posted at 2020-4-19 23:54
after lots of research and help from different rc communities my project is finished  and works like i dreamed it up

[view_image]

Is the tb50 power activation part of that project or you just re-used some other existing parts?
2023-2-5
Use props
Flo the Pirate
First Officer
Austria

Jaan Kronberg Posted at 2-5 11:54
Is the tb50 power activation part of that project or you just re-used some other existing parts?

I used the tb50 to remote charging cable an tore it down to just the connection pins including some elektronic to start the battery … for my application i needed to connect thicker wire to draw max amps for the cablecam , if u don‘t need that no tear sown needed ….
2023-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules