Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Bricked Mavic Air after drone seemed to got into atti mode
867 18 2018-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flowmotion
lvl.1
Flight distance : 77986 ft
Germany

Hey there,

on last sunday I had a very annoying experience with my june bought mavic air.

I started the drone at around 5:30pm where it was already dark outside - I would have created shot from our christmas market - , no calibration needed (did this as requested on previous flight).
Immediately after starting my flight I recognized that the drone was drifting in a way, I've never experienced before.
This behavior seems to be well known happening in atti mode (https://forum.dji.com/thread-82184-1-1.html).
Unfortunatley I lost control over the direction joysticks, only controlling the elevation was possible.
Also the drone reacted very very slowly to directions joysticks.

And so it happened the way it had to:
Drifting to direction close to a house, I changed the rotation to prevent from crashing with the house and tried to fly it back to starting point.
But on this way without proper control the drone collied with a traffic sign and crashed on the ground.
Result:
Disjointed broken right front motor, gimbal disjointed and unusable. The electronics stll works, but...

Next story from today:
I asked a friend to rent me his air for an indoor flight inside our sportshall to create videos from tactics.
Nearly same story:
After a short period the drone started to drift and rotate uncontrollable until it crashed into the sportshall wall.
Fortunately only one rotor was broken an I was able to changed it.

So summarized nearly two broken mavic airs in three days.

Today I checked the flight logs on my mobile phone.
The app is able to show both flight captures.
Playing this offers me a lot of error messages shortly after the take of (unsafe atti mode flight, weak gps)

But when I open the phones local drive and navigate to the flightlogs folder inside the mavic air app folder, there are no txt logfiles from these flights.
So I'm not able to upload any logs of them.

Any ideas?

Also my main question:
Do you think if there is a chance that DJI replaces my damaged drone with a new one, because of the uncontrolled drifting without any ability to have controll over the drone and then bricking it?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Flo

2018-12-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Flo. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Air and with your friends drone. Since this issue happened the best thing you need to do is to contact DJI Support at https://www.dji.com/support and create a ticket for your DJI Mavic Air. Thank you for your support.

2018-12-4
Use props
HendrikJB
Captain
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

Very bad.

I once tried night flight and the MA just decided to fly away.  I simply pressed "Pause" and it stopped.  After that I managed to control it in small increments.

So I`m always ready to press pause and I ALWAYS start with a full battery.
2018-12-6
Use props
flowmotion
lvl.1
Germany

Hey there,

thanks for your answers.

In the meantime support told me to send in the first drone for further investigation. Probably the will be able to read some flight logs.
I still wonder why they can be seen in the dji go app but do not persist in a text file on the mobile storage as the other ones.
Does anyone have an idea?
I already pushed the synchronize button and it says that 100% sync.
Do you know where I can see synchronized logs?

Thanks HendrikJB for the tip.
This happened for the first time (even at night) at all and it went very fast so I was just focusing on managing the drifts and then it already crashed.It seemd as the drone speeded up itself...

So - im excited to see what the will find out.

Cheers
Flo

2018-12-6
Use props
JJBspark
Captain
Flight distance : 12165479 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

"flightlogs folder inside the mavic air app folder"

On Android flight logs are stored in the //root/dji/djo go app/flightrecords/***.txt

If you find them and if you like upload using > http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

cheers
JJB
2018-12-6
Use props
flowmotion
lvl.1
Germany

Hey JJB,

thanks for your message.
As I already said, I can see the flight inside the app but it currently has no txt file in the flightrecords folder.

Cheers
Flo
2018-12-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

flowmotion Posted at 12-6 12:28
Hey JJB,

thanks for your message.

You just need to hit link provided above and follow instructions, you will find your log is indeed where it should be.
2018-12-6
Use props
JJBspark
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

flowmotion Posted at 12-6 12:28
Hey JJB,

thanks for your message.

ok, as you wrote "mavic air app folder", thought you ment something else
2018-12-6
Use props
flowmotion
lvl.1
Germany

Hey there,

finally got my flight logs after restarting the mobile (whyever...):
If you want to you can have a look here:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/7KYT3D6E2VRI22Q5NSFX/

Cheers
Flo
2018-12-6
Use props
JJBspark
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

flowmotion Posted at 12-6 22:57
Hey there,

finally got my flight logs after restarting the mobile (whyever...):

Hiya,

Its an easy flight to understand....

You started with zero GPS satellites, so after take-off in ATTI mode!
After 3.9 secods a warning about low GPS signal, yeah ZERO is low.
3 warnings about max flying height reached, in OPTI and ATTI mode there is a height limitation.

In ATTI its difficult to fly in daylight, for sure if not impossible when its dark.

Ofcourse no HomePoint is set, because of the zero satellites, HP set is neccesary for a RTH procedure.

Its a hard lesson, hope your drone can be repaired.

Mayby my checklist is usefull for your next flights.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png

MyCanIFlyChecklist_2.2.pdf

304.79 KB, Down times: 6

2018-12-8
Use props
BumblerBee
First Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

A good checklist, JJB. I go through the same in my head before each flight, with one variation. I check the number of sats (preferring it be at least 15) before I start the rotors. that way. That way I don't waste power idling while waiting for enough satellites.
2018-12-8
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i occasionally do night flying with my mavic air and i can't say my experience was poor.  but because the low light the visual system goes offline and your positioning is locked in place only by GPS and IMUs so some drift will happen as will some sloppiness with controls however can't say it was hard to control.  i wouldn't fly it at night between buildings or trees or obstacles in general, unless more experienced and trailing behind it  to visually make sure not going to dirft and clip anything.
2018-12-8
Use props
flowmotion
lvl.1
Germany

Hey there,

thank you all for your answers!
Also thank JJB for the checklist.

As you said: hard lesson.

I sent the drone to DJI - hopefully for being repaired.

Cheers
Flo
2018-12-9
Use props
JJBspark
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

BumblerBee Posted at 12-8 13:28
A good checklist, JJB. I go through the same in my head before each flight, with one variation. I check the number of sats (preferring it be at least 15) before I start the rotors. that way. That way I don't waste power idling while waiting for enough satellites.

Hi Bumblerbee,

Thanks, ofcourse there are many variations to this checklist possible.

For beginners its the basic to go fly safely, i think.

11 sats means you have minimum 6 of the same type, so a good GPS lock is possible.

cheers
JJB
2018-12-9
Use props
JJBspark
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

flowmotion Posted at 12-9 04:28
Hey there,

thank you all for your answers!

thanks Flo,

Hopefully soon back in the air again after this repair.

cheers JJB
2018-12-9
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
First Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

JJBspark Posted at 12-8 11:54
Hiya,

Its an easy flight to understand....

Atti is not that hard in daylight, a little kid can fly a indoor quad with no GPS and no altitude hold just fine, so a grown-ass adult with an altitude hold drone outdoors should have no problem.
2018-12-9
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
First Officer
United States

Here is the manual. You can read it while you and your friend are waiting for the drones to be repaired

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 20Manual%20v1.2.pdf
2018-12-9
Use props
JJBspark
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

OneDoesNotSimply Posted at 12-9 12:31
Atti is not that hard in daylight, a little kid can fly a indoor quad with no GPS and no altitude hold just fine, so a grown-ass adult with an altitude hold drone outdoors should have no problem.

Well, my guess is that for most flyers ATTI is difficult to fly, with some gusting wind around you even harder.
It helps alot if drone flyers are used to fly and practise with a non-stabilized-drone.

And ofcourse what one person find difficult to do the other find that really easy, and vice versa ofcourse.

cheers
JJB
2018-12-9
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
First Officer
United States

JJBspark Posted at 12-9 12:53
Well, my guess is that for most flyers ATTI is difficult to fly, with some gusting wind around you even harder.
It helps alot if drone flyers are used to fly and practise with a non-stabilized-drone.

Good point about the wind, even a gentle breeze can cause it to move and if the drone is not facing directly away from you, it is easy to lose orientation and correct in the wrong direction.
2018-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules