FCC Mode in CE Countries
8223 19 2018-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wannger88
lvl.1

Switzerland

Hi

Im new to drones and just got myself a Mavic Air. I already heard about the limits CE-Mode brings to the table and just wanted to ask, fairly straight up:

If I have the option to switch to FCC mode via FakeGPS, would I lose warranty for the product? I know its not really legal, but all I wanna know, does this affect warranty.

I remember I saw an answer to this (but just couldn't find the post right now) where the answer was 'as long as one is not using 3rd party software it will NOT void warranty'.

However, isn't using fakegps using a 3rd party software? I know, when you fly afterwards you are not using any 3rd party software anymore, so therefore it doesnt affect the aircraft at all.

Im just asking as I've seen the video feed struggle even after 200m, and it struggles so much which makes my buttocks clenching as I got like 600 bucks hovering somewhere in the distance...

So honestly, I'd rather go FCC mode, but if I lose warranty over that, I have to reconsider.

TL;DR: Do I lose warranty if I fly in a CE-country with FCC-Mode when I did so over a fakegps software?

Thanks a lot for all responses.
2018-12-5
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Wannger,

IMO you do not loose warranty, DJI drones are made to fly in FCC and limited by DJI due to confirm to local regulations.
But many others on this forum have a different view on this.

So happy flying in a FCC and/or CE setting.  

If you do a good preflight and after takeoff checks, fly safe, fly in LOS (well, most of the times) you will not have use a warranty claim.And if your MA goes |&!$#|&!^$# , 100% not to the fact that its flying in FCC.

cheers
JJB
2018-12-5
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-12-5
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I only fly in fcc mode on my spark and my Mavic Pro.
I don’t want to risk it losing my birds flying in pity ce mode

Flysafely
Alex
2018-12-5
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's almost academical anyway, if you operate beyond VLOS in UK, whether in CE or FCC mode you risk prosecution as happened to one Last Month

I imagine it would be similar throughout Europe.

The charges were quite specific, which is what makes it worth taking note of :-

"charged with failure to maintain direct, unaided visual contact with a small unmanned aircraft and flying it when not reasonably satisfied that the flight can be safely made"
2018-12-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. There will be a difference between the FCC and CE when in terms of flying in distance. The aircraft will adjust itself automatically according to customers' location. We would recommend abiding by your local policies when in terms of flying your drone and be responsible for using it. We will forward it to our team to for further clarification about the possible warranty avoidance. Thank you for the support.
2018-12-5
Use props
Estelle Lau
Second Officer
Flight distance : 38632 ft
  • >>>

You know it is not really legal? Why do you still ask this question here if you really know it is not legal?
2018-12-5
Use props
Wannger88
lvl.1

Switzerland

Thanks for the reply everyone.

I know that this setting should be safed in the flight logs, so theres no hiding if one switches the modes. Thats why I just wanna ensure myself I don't run into any warranty issues.

Thanks for checking up on that admin, Im awaiting a (hopefully) positive response.

2018-12-6
Use props
djiuser_WJsrQ6lavMIq
New
Turkey

Hello,

Is it possible to use Boosted FCC ( 1.5W ) mode in Mavic Air ?
2018-12-9
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

djiuser_WJsrQ6lavMIq Posted at 12-9 03:56
Hello,

Is it possible to use Boosted FCC ( 1.5W ) mode in Mavic Air ?

Nope, it only works on Mavic Pro.

Fly safely
Alex
2018-12-9
Use props
Wannger88
lvl.1

Switzerland

DJI Tony Posted at 12-5 10:42
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. There will be a difference between the FCC and CE when in terms of flying in distance. The aircraft will adjust itself automatically according to customers' location. We would recommend abiding by your local policies when in terms of flying your drone and be responsible for using it. We will forward it to our team to for further clarification about the possible warranty avoidance. Thank you for the support.

Hello

Any updates?

Thanks in advance.
2018-12-11
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for your notification. We are sorry to say that the warranty of your aircraft will be voided if there will be failure or damage caused by third-party products/software. You may also refer to https://www.dji.com/service/policy. We highly recommend using our official application which is the DJI Go 4 app to fly your drone. Please have a safe flight ahead!
2018-12-12
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

Hi Wannger88. I tried the 'Fake GPS' app app. It appeared to work ok ( I am in Australia) but worried that if I hit the RTH button or lose the connection would my Mavic Pro try to fly to a desert in Arizona (My fake GPS locatiion to enable FCC)
2018-12-12
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Boffin Posted at 12-12 11:49
Hi Wannger88. I tried the 'Fake GPS' app app. It appeared to work ok ( I am in Australia) but worried that if I hit the RTH button or lose the connection would my Mavic Pro try to fly to a desert in Arizona (My fake GPS locatiion to enable FCC)

Hi Boffin,

Fake GPS is only used once, after that close the app and your drone will act as normal.
It does fly RTH perfecly!

cheers
JJB
2018-12-16
Use props
MAIRDA
lvl.2
United States

Pardon my ignorance... but what is the advantage of flying with a fake GPS app?  
My Mavic Air does not calibrate compass when I've taken it abroad, therefore, it doesn't fly (tried three locations and then gave up, have never taken it abroad again).  One back home it calibrates compass and flies normally, no problems. Would it possibly have anything to do with FCC / CE issues?
Thanks!
(btw, my Mavic Pro flies everywhere, no problems, including the very locations where the Mavic Air refuses to calbrate compass)

2018-12-18
Use props
Wannger88
lvl.1

Switzerland

DJI Tony Posted at 12-12 09:22
Hi, thanks for your notification. We are sorry to say that the warranty of your aircraft will be voided if there will be failure or damage caused by third-party products/software. You may also refer to https://www.dji.com/service/policy. We highly recommend using our official application which is the DJI Go 4 app to fly your drone. Please have a safe flight ahead!

Hello again

Im not sure you understand what Im trying to say.

FakeGPS is simply used to set the FCC mode, since I dont know of any other way to do it (if there is, please let me know).

FakeGPS wont be active during flights, it will be the official DJI Go 4 app. It is an app to fake the GPS location to one of a FCC country, so this setting can be changed. After that the app wont be launched ever.
So in the events of a crash, it basicly can't be the fault of the app that was used to change the mode to FCC.
It will be the officla app without any modifications to the app and the builtin FCC mode.

2018-12-19
Use props
Wannger88
lvl.1

Switzerland

MAIRDA Posted at 12-18 10:06
Pardon my ignorance... but what is the advantage of flying with a fake GPS app?  
My Mavic Air does not calibrate compass when I've taken it abroad, therefore, it doesn't fly (tried three locations and then gave up, have never taken it abroad again).  One back home it calibrates compass and flies normally, no problems. Would it possibly have anything to do with FCC / CE issues?
Thanks!

I'll try to explain:

You dont fly with fakegps. FakeGPS is simply used to "trick" your drone into believeing its in a country where FCC mode is allowed, and therefore you are able to switch into FCC mode. After that you never use the app again, so you still fly with the official DJI app.

What concerns me tho:

Why on earth wouldnt your MA lift off abroad? I bought this drone as a "holiday-camera". If it wont lift abroad I would be seriously annoyed.
2018-12-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Boffin Posted at 12-12 11:49

take off point is marked by default to the take off location of the Drone using its GPS.  this is why when you fly and break connection or say controller died or something the drone knows where to fly back to on its own and land..   

2018-12-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wannger88 Posted at 12-19 03:47
I'll try to explain:

You dont fly with fakegps. FakeGPS is simply used to "trick" your drone into believeing its in a country where FCC mode is allowed, and therefore you are able to switch into FCC mode. After that you never use the app again, so you still fly with the official DJI app.

mavic air has an interesting compass issue.   mine has the same or similar issue. mine asks me to calibrate like very other flight :/    and for this user they having issues with the compass in another country.

i think 0.500 update changed how the compass behaves and for some of us, that means for reason kind of unknown, its constantly demanding calibration even if compass bias is in the green and low value like 50-90 and wont stop demanding it even if walk around and find a clear spot..
2018-12-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Wannger88 Posted at 12-19 02:33
Hello again

Im not sure you understand what Im trying to say.

Hi, we perfectly understand your concern. Using the application would not easily void the warranty of your product as long as you could provide the flight records we could be able to determine what happened to your drone and provide an appropriate resolution. Thank you for support.
2018-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules