4726 14 2018-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Marce jury
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6962 ft
Argentina

Hello

I have taken apart my spark controller in order to have the connector replaced. The fact is that I can get a micro usb type B and not type AB... to tell the truth I cant understand if otg will work or not because connectors seem to be phisically identical except for the rectangular shape of AB.

Question is.... can I just put a B type instead? Will charge and have the OTG capability? Is such capability related to the internal chip instead of thw connector added?

Thanks in advance.

Pd. Please dont say "take to dji service" because is the easy answer out of my interest in the solution.
2018-12-5
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Hi,
I don't know if this will help, but the difference between the regular micro USB and OTG micro USB is that on the regular one pin 5 is left open while on the OTG one it is connected to ground.
2018-12-5
Use props
Antipaxi
Second Officer

Romania

Hi, can you take some detailed pictures of the taken apart controller? I can't help you with your problem but I would very much appreciate said pictures. Especially with the micro usb port and its connections to the board.
2018-12-5
Use props
Marce jury
lvl.3
Argentina

Antipaxi Posted at 12-5 09:39
Hi, can you take some detailed pictures of the taken apart controller? I can't help you with your problem but I would very much appreciate said pictures. Especially with the micro usb port and its connections to the board.

Pictures

https://imgur.com/a/fkh6RzE

The screen capture with the connector D shaped
Is the one that i currently have. B type but 4 pin
Might be correctly wired in the circuit board and
Not necesarily in the connector irself?

https://imgur.com/NVr9JRF

2018-12-5
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Excellent pictures, thanks. Good luck with your repairs.
2018-12-6
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

My idea of the Micro A IN the controller is: The original OTG cables, also many of the aftermarket cables, are coming with the micro A and micro B, b/c the direction ist important for the function.
Of course you can change the A to a B, as long you connect it right.
But than it is your thing, to "find" the right direction.
Which isn't a problem, really, b/c in case you use a two piece adapter, the on with the USB A is coming from the RC and anyway, the RC has to charge the (android) phone/device
Just you can't use the 90° cables, which (I think) all are coming with an micro A to micro B.
But in case I would have to change that piece, I would think about to change it to a USB-C !
2018-12-6
Use props
Marce j solano
lvl.3
Argentina

Usb -C has a lot more pins....already soldered a type b ...im about to assemble all again and hope it will charge well
2018-12-6
Use props
Antipaxi
Second Officer

Romania

Thank you.
2018-12-6
Use props
Antipaxi
Second Officer

Romania

S-e-ven Posted at 12-6 07:53
My idea of the Micro A IN the controller is: The original OTG cables, also many of the aftermarket cables, are coming with the micro A and micro B, b/c the direction ist important for the function.

That's what I had in mind, maybe replace it with an USB type C.
2018-12-6
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

micro-AB vs. micro-B should not have any difference except, as you said, physical dimensions.
It's basically designed just to accept both A and B cables, nothing more.
So, in case you work with B cables (most of them are B, BUT not all) you should be all set as long as the current rating of the both are the same. (usually 1A vs 1.8A)
Please note we are only talking peripheral data and charging here.

Once you need OTG functionality. well, things change.... micro B has ID pin floating and micro A has it grounded.
Without AB connector, your remote cannot accept A male and thus cannot act as a host (A), which means no OTG connection with the phone.

Now, there is still a hope, but it's very dangerous idea.... not sure if I should share it here.

And for those who want to learn more:
https://www.cablestogo.com/learning/connector-guides/usb

2018-12-7
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

S-e-ven Posted at 12-6 07:53

Male micro A needs to go to the remote side for OTG to work as it has ID pin grounded and thus signaling the remote it will be the host. And other way around does not work as we read here in forums with cases like "OTG cable does not work". And it does not work cause grounded ID pin connector was plugged into the phone instead of remote.
2018-12-7
Use props
Marce j solano
lvl.3
Argentina

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 12-7 04:42
Male micro A needs to go to the remote side for OTG to work as it has ID pin grounded and thus signaling the remote it will be the host. And other way around does not work as we read here in forums with cases like "OTG cable does not work". And it does not work cause grounded ID pin connector was plugged into the phone instead of remote.

eYeSkYeYe and what happens if i ipen the cable and join pins 4 and 5 ..because already replaced the connector with type B ..the only one i could grab here....(D shaped)
2018-12-7
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Marce j solano Posted at 12-7 08:02
eYeSkYeYe and what happens if i ipen the cable and join pins 4 and 5 ..because already replaced the connector with type B ..the only one i could grab here....(D shaped)

That was the dangerous idea I had. Should work, yes.... just that you could not use this one with any other standard equipment.
2018-12-7
Use props
djiuser_lrI3a5ONlM3r
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi, did you manage to replace the connector in the RC? I have the same issue now and I am planning to disassemble the controller and solder a new connector. I just bought a micro-usb B connector, and I realised how small the connections are, I hope I can manage with the soldering...
2019-7-5
Use props
Spark_Heisenberg
lvl.1
United Kingdom

djiuser_lrI3a5ONlM3r Posted at 7-5 06:56
Hi, did you manage to replace the connector in the RC? I have the same issue now and I am planning to disassemble the controller and solder a new connector. I just bought a micro-usb B connector, and I realised how small the connections are, I hope I can manage with the soldering...

Well, I tried and unfortunately I failed

I disassemble the controller and everything was fine until I had to desolder the micro-usb connector, I was able to do it but then I realised one of the 5 pins (the first one in the left) is missing from the board.

These are the pictures of the before and after: https://imgur.com/a/eRLccjU

According to the usb pinout the first pin is the 5v VCC, so unless someone can tell me how I can find out the destination of that pin in the board, I guess I have a nice and expensive paperweight.
2019-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules