1327 14 2018-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CreativeSky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

On October first of 2018, delivered to my door was the Mavic 2 PRO. I have also had the Inspire 1, Inspire 2 (still have), and the Phatom 4 PRO. The October rain fall in Dallas, Texas that month would be 12.39 inches (31.47cm) which casused a lot of flooding so on October 13th I went off to the nearby lake to shoot some massive amounts of water going over the spillway. Long story short I was going backwards when I hit some trees which caused the drone to fall to the ground. I could see on the screen that it was upside down on the ground and the camera was still functioning. At this point I was not quite sure where it was but if it was where I thought it was this was not going to be good. You see, if it fell anywhere else I could have just walked up to it, brushed it off and been back in business. But that was not the case. The Mavic has crashed on a small island surrounded by rushing water (See image below). There was no way I could get to it and it was in a restricted area. Sooooo, walking away with my tail between my legs, I knoew I had to wait until all the flood waters subsided and I could walk across a small stream to get to the island. As I had mentioned before, the rain in the month of October had never been seen befor in Dallas so the flooding continued and my brand new Mavic Pro was just sitting there in the rain. Painfull thought.

down-location.jpg

Finally after having to get a kayak to get to the island, finding the drone, tipping over in the kayak and falling fully clothed into the very cold water, I manaeged to get her back home to see what the verdict was.  The Mavic has spent 56 days on this island and a lot of those days it rained.

Here is what it looked like after I got her home. Not too bad considering.

Mavic 2-1.jpg Mavic 2-2.jpg Mavic 2-3.jpg Mavic 2-4.jpg Mavic 2-5.jpg

After cleanup and new props.

Mavic 2-6.jpg

Ironically, by the time I got to this point, it was dark outside and starting to rain. LOL. So I could not wait. I had to see see if it would run. Charged up a batter and the darn thing fired up as if the crash never occurred.

DJI gets a lot of bad press from bad service and firmware updates, but the build quality seems to be second to none. I know there are others who have recovered from much grimmer circumstances, but I still remain quite impressed that all I had to do was replace some props after all of this.  

Post crash flight test.

Before the crash

2018-12-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day CreativeSky. Thank you for sharing this story about your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. If you have any issues with your DJI Mavic 2 Pro in the future after this crash please feel free to contact DJI Support at https://www.dji.com/support and create a case for your drone. Thank you.

2018-12-6
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Lucky. Good to see it working.
2018-12-6
Use props
Viper Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 31644 ft
United States

That is totally amazing!!!   DJI should use that story and video for advertising and buy you a new M2P just for the benefit.  Congratulations and glad you didn't drown when you tipped over in the boat!
2018-12-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

Craigslist next week:  for sale.. used mavic 2 pro .. only flown twice... perfect condition... hehe.. nice DIY .. very successful rebuild!!
2018-12-6
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Tough little sucker, great ending and DJI don't get enough praise for quality, they should, DJI drones are exceptional.
2018-12-6
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Glad that it’s working like nothing happened! It’s true, DJI builds their drones like little tanks
Crashed a few times with my spark and as if nothing has happened! And once it fell from the top of a very tall tree straight to the ground.
DJI drones are very very well built!!!

Flysafely and enjoy
Alex
2018-12-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Great job rescuing your drone, but you said you were unlucky it went down where it did, but looking at your picture, I think you may have been lucky it went down there instead of hitting a tree and falling into the drink.
2018-12-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Awesome recovery - now sell it
2018-12-6
Use props
CreativeSky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-6 10:26
Great job rescuing your drone, but you said you were unlucky it went down where it did, but looking at your picture, I think you may have been lucky it went down there instead of hitting a tree and falling into the drink.

That is very true Hallmark and I did think of that as well but once I realized it was NOT in the water, my focus changed to, "How in the heck am I going to get to it now".
2018-12-6
Use props
Sky Carrier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 590102 ft
India

Glad to see you have it back and properly working. Thanks for sharing the story
2018-12-6
Use props
forager3215
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230951 ft
United States

Heck nice story you were very lucky my drone while in tripod mode lost gps lock and drifted into a wall from just 7 feet off the ground and landed in dirt. gravel Which did cause damage to the camera and gimbal resulting in $747 bucks worth of repair but have to give DJI its props they have been very helpful thru out the process.
2018-12-6
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Remarkable recovery.  Glad that everything ended good. Congratulations
2018-12-6
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

A very nice ending, good to see that these drones are strong
2018-12-6
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Great story and great ending.
The M2P gives testimony to  its reliability.
Glad to see there was a good outcome.
2018-12-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules