1563 15 2018-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JJMik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24572349 ft
  • >>>
United States

When you have a compass error the aircraft doesn’t know which way it’s going but the controls still fly it correctly.  Will the gps screen/location still be correct?

Can you fly home using the gps screen with a compass error?

Also   Can you fly home in atti mode  using the gps screen?

I’ve panicked the couple of times I had a compass error. Luckily I was in just in line of site but I didn’t even think about the fact that I still had a picture to fly home by and gps screen.
2018-12-7
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I mean does the gps screen still work?  During compass error....  
2018-12-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

JJMik Posted at 12-7 17:47
I mean does the gps screen still work?  During compass error....

GPS screen?   There is no GPS screen.

Just avoid giving yourself a compass error.
Never launch from steel or reinforced concrete surfaces.

If you do give yourself a compass error, the results are variable.
But usually it will force the Phantom to ignore GPS and you will lose position holding ability.
2018-12-7
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I know how to avoid it but it has happened anyway.    If the compass fails can you use The GPS MAP TO NAVIGATE?     If you are in a mode. Can you still navigate using the gps screen/map?

2018-12-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

JJMik Posted at 12-7 20:15
I know how to avoid it but it has happened anyway.    If the compass fails can you use The GPS MAP TO NAVIGATE?     If you are in a mode. Can you still navigate using the gps screen/map?

The compass is not failing, a compass error means the aircraft has detected a compass anomaly, usually caused by switching the aircraft on while it is sitting on a magnetically 'dirty' surface, for example concrete containing rebar. The aircraft will then switch to ATTI mode, and ignore the GPS values. If that occurs, it cannot provide a GPS location to the Go 4 software, so will not be shown reliably on the map. And RTH will not work either.
2018-12-8
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

So you can’t rely on the map screen to fly during a compass error?

How about while flying in A  mode with no compass error?  Then you can use the map correct?

I have seen the compass error because of metal.  Not thinking I placed drone on a picnic table that had a metal frame.    I have however suddenly got the error after flying for a while from the same place without it.  

So I guess if I’m out of line of site, the only option is to fly home using the video transmission.

2018-12-8
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Czechia

The problem actually is that GPS still works in every GPS equipped unit - whether phone ... TomTom ... DJi or whatever ... the addition of Compass is of no interest to a GPS unit. GPS derives direction travelled by comparison of successive positions.

BUT the DJI setup takes the inter-action of all the parts to a level far greater than most Multi-Rotors. The GPS data + compass data + IMU + 6 axis stabilisation + your command input - all interact to produce the desired result. If any one of them fails or falls outside the programmed limits - you get ATTI mode or in extremis - an AC that is difficult to fly or crashes.

The question here as you are aspiring to - can you fly home if Compass input is wrong or failed ... with most multi-rotors - the answer is yes of course because you are flying VLOS and compass is usually only a data screen item .... but here being an integrated item with DJI .. questionable for very good reason : You can switch out GPS and fly ATTI (it still provides GPS data for RTH actually unless GPS is actually lost) but you cannot switch out Compass.

The Flight Controller should be capable of steady flight direction as you command based on the 6 axis stabilisation / IMU ... with GPS giving you a 'plot' on the map screen, but again, because DJI have gone much further than most with the integration of data - its possible you will have a difficult time of getting it back. I suggest that yes - you can fly it back - as I have had Compass Error during flight and still been able to fly where I commanded. But it is not something I would wish to happen again.  Without Compass - RTH cannot work, it has no reference to calculate the yaw amount to head back.

Interesting question ...

Nigel
2018-12-8
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the info.  I knew not to press RTH  when the drone doesn’t know north from south.

In atti  mode  you can still fly using the map correct? I mean under normal circumstances.  I guess the only reason to do it is that we get more power flying that way and in windy conditions?

Can’t imagine piloting a real aircraft and dealing with emergencies. I panic  with my drone!

When I have had the compass error I had no problem flying home except for the fact that I could barely see the drone. Then the wind took it , I pushed the stick the wrong way because I panicked and lost orientation and the drone almost disappeared  from over the tree line.   I was able to control it fine once I figured out which way it was pointed.   I totally forgot I still had a picture and could fly home that way.
2018-12-8
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Czechia

It is one of the main reasons I advise for practice in ATTI mode. The panic factor can at least be reduced if you are au-fait with ATTI.

It takes strong nerve to fly when you lose input to the Flight Controller for the advanced features of DJI ... I know I've suffered that panic feeling when its happened. But luckily took deep breath ... let go sticks and then guided her back. One time she was hidden by trees and no way I could see her clearly.

Nigel
2018-12-8
Use props
chrisrizos
lvl.1

Greece

I have compass problems too.but at least i can navigate using the gps screen.
Halkidiki
2018-12-10
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hmmm  you can?  That was my question.  But others said no
2018-12-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience. You mean flying your drone with compass error when only the GPS is working? The fail-safe RTH button will not work properly if the compass is not working as well. We would recommend flying your drone in open areas wherein there are no interferences to avoid the incident. Thank you for continued support.
2018-12-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

JJMik Posted at 12-10 09:42
Hmmm  you can?  That was my question.  But others said no

You have to understand that many will answer not based on actual experience - but what they imagine !!

Its the way of forums !!

Nigel
2018-12-11
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I understand..   it actually seemed like my gps was working but I really flew home visually but since I was in line of sight so I wasn’t sure. After what has been posted here I will only rely on my video to get home during a compass error while flying far away.   Of course not press rth  and will ignore the gps screen.

The DJI advice is not helpful because it happened at my home twice where there is a great deal of interference but I have flown many more times with no issues other than limited range.  Then the last compass error was out over the bay and I flew fpv   Until the error went away.   I had flown three flights in same area with no problems or warnings.    So to say just avoid an area doesn’t make sense or help much.

I am well aware of avoiding metal when calibrating compass and activating the drone.
2018-12-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

The GPS screen or radar screen as some like to call it - is still of use to you ... but main thing is to watch the distance numbers - because the GPS still works and will be calculating distance between AC and Home all the time .... short movements to see if distance increases or decreases .. if it decreases - then you are at least heading somewhat toward home ... hopefully after a short distance - you recognise the video screen area ... and as the distance reduces - you get visual.

The main thing is to try not to panic ... and look at each screen you have available to see which can help you best.

Don't be too hard on the DJI mods ... they have a difficult time keeping up with users !!

Nigel
2018-12-11
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ok. Thanks again..   good advice.     
2018-12-31
Use props
Advanced