Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ronin S With Latest Firmware Will Not Save Settings
1841 3 2018-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stanley James
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

My DJI Ronin S will not save all of the Smooth Track and motor control settings after a reboot no matter what I do. I am running the latest firmware (v1.7.0.60) and the latest app on my Iphone 6s 1.1.6(115), but the Ronin loses its settings as soon as I power it off.

Once in the middle of a shoot even without powering it off it suddenly went back to factory defaults and I had to sit it down and reset all of the parameters using my phone. Do I need to send it back? There is nothing I can do to get it to keep it's settings. It would be nice if there was a save settings button or some way of knowing that the settings are saved in the Ronin.

After updating the firmware I disconnected rebooted the Ronin and reconnected it to the computer just to make sure it had the latest firmware, the DJI Pro assistant states it has the 11/29/2018 V1.7.0.60 firmware.

I am not sure though that I am updating it properly. The instructions to update it are confusing to say the least. Some places say to leave the Ronin OFF during the upgrade and other places state it must be turned ON. I tried it with it off then the app said it could not upgrade it without it being ON, so I turned it on and the upgrade succeeded; so which is it?

2018-12-7
Use props
Stanley James
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

OK, I figured out what was wrong. There is either a bug in the firmware, this is just not documented, or I didn't find the place in the documentation; it looks like the settings are not saved in the Ronin S until the power at the handle is turned off. If you change some settings then turn off the power using the power button on the battery, the settings are not saved. I have been turning it off using the battery every time since it didn't make sense to me to power down the handle and then still have to power down the battery.

DJI should make it so that the settings are actually saved immediately, or maybe give you a save settings button in the app.  I still do not know why it suddenly lost the settings while using it, maybe it briefly lost power between the battery and the handle after I had set the settings.

This is very easy to repro and I have tested it multiple times:

1) Power on the Ronin at both the battery and the handle
2) Set some Smooth Track settings or motor control settings
3) Power off the Ronin using the power button located on the battery part of the handle.
4) Power back on the Ronin S
5) Any settings you set will be gone even with the latest firmware and app

To get the settings to save you have to do the following:

1) Power on the Ronin at both the battery and the handle
2) Set some Smooth Track settings or motor control settings
3) Power off the Ronin using the power button up by the joystick
4) Power off the battery using the power button on the battery
5) After you power everything back up, the settings will still be there
6) Every subsequent time you can power it off using just the battery. But if you make some settings changes you need to power it off using the joystick power button first

Now that I know, from now on if I change the settings, I will just use the joystick power button to power cycle the Ronin prior to using the new settings, that way I will be sure they are saved. But it would still be better if DJI just added a save settings icon in the app, or had the Ronin always save the settings right away vs. waiting for the power down from the joystick power button. I would imagine in a scenario where you set some settings and the battery died before ever powering down that you would lose your settings that way too.
2018-12-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Stanley, glad to know the issue has been figured out and thanks for your sharing and suggestion, we will forward it to our engineers for consideration, please power off the Ronin-S according to our user manual in order.
2018-12-8
Use props
Fly Gary
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3700285 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-12-8 02:33
Hi Stanley, glad to know the issue has been figured out and thanks for your sharing and suggestion, we will forward it to our engineers for consideration, please power off the Ronin-S according to our user manual in order.

Consideration ?!?!?!?
It's a bug, not an enhancement.
2019-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules