Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RoninS - Wobbly roll on perfectly balanced setup
12Next >
16275 44 2018-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Michael Perfect
lvl.1
Philippines

Hi,

Please check the raw footage bellow.

The balance test indicate Excellent on all axis.
I did calibration and auto-tune.
Motor values are within +/- 5.
Camera GH4 + 7.5mm Laowa lens (very light payload).

I am being super careful when walking, already trying to be as stable as possible.
It seems that the Ronin-S is having a hard time keeping the frame stable, especially on the roll axis, even at the beginning and the end of the shot, when I am not walking.
Can you notice how the vertical lines of the buildings are slightly but constantly tilting from left to right (like rotating on an axis at the middle of the frame) ?

Is this a normal behavior, is this is footage the Ronin S is supposed to produce ? If not, what is happening ?

Thank you.
2018-12-7
Use props
Michael Perfect
lvl.1
Philippines

Anyone ? Opinions please ?
2018-12-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Michael ,sorry for the troubles with Ronin-S, please follow the following steps to make a troubleshooting first, may I verify if all the knobs have been tightened and did you mount the camera mounting plate and the lens support?
Could you please share us the screenshot of the Parameter Settings in the APP when the gimbal is centered? Please press 'More' and show us the whole settings and the Smooth Track settings as well, thank you.
2018-12-10
Use props
fansf776b1e0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 217680 ft
Germany

I am experiencing the same problem on my Ronin S using the A6300 with the 18-105 f/4 and the SmallRig Cage. I tried the system calibration but it didn't help. I have all the knobs all the way tightend and I can't imagine what it causes.

How did you solve the problem?
2019-2-17
Use props
byronjackson
Flight distance : 245066 ft
United Kingdom

I have the same issue everything is tight - all settings excellent. However my footage looks like my camera has been tied on a string to a stick carried by someone who is worse the wear for drink!  Did you ever fix it?
2019-2-19
Use props
wiesehahn
New
  • >>>
United States

I am having similar issues. I tried increasing the roll motor strength and that hasn't solved it. Everything is balanced and all locks are tight.
2019-2-24
Use props
Tin Borovčak
New

Croatia

I also have this problem.
I am not a newbie because I work full time as a camera operator and own Crane Plus, DJI Ronin and Ronin M.

That is disappointing from DJI because nothing works to solve this wobbly pan axis. I have also taken it back to the store to find a solution of a problem and they didn't find anything.

Solve this, give me another unit that is functional or gives me back my money.

Frankly, I love DJI but this is too much.
Hope you will answer and find a solution because this is not a toy and you are not some funny, childish company.

Thanks,
Tin
2019-2-27
Use props
Nohchilife
lvl.3
Belgium

Same here..
2019-2-28
Use props
badvideo.pl
New

Poland

Yeah, and another one.
GH5s in 2051 cage with various lenses from 7artisans 7.5mm (very light then) to sigma C-series 16mm 1.4 (still not actually heavy). Readings are spot on, knobs are tight, operator frustration is through the roof.
Having some background with dual-grip gimbals I am catually getting used to the thought that single-grips are only that good as a kind - this is because one hand grip with center of gravity above your hands is just so unnatural that makes impossible to compensate the micro-movements you generate not even being conscious about it, especially at stealth pace. Did you guys notice the faster you move the better stabilization you get? I did, and Re-watching tons of reviews of "S" only convinces me more about it.

good for me I bought my "S" quite cheap, too bad I have already built up quite a system on a product which turns out to be less reliable than expected. bummer.
2019-3-27
Use props
fans589cba4b
First Officer
Flight distance : 12780633 ft
  • >>>
United States

Has anyone found the solution for this yet? I also bought the crane 3 and webill lab and all have the same results. I think it’s just the design where the camera is only supported by one sided motor. All the drones and ronin m have the cameras supported on both sides making for true cinematic footage that needs no stabilization in post. Make the ronin s v2 and fix this issue.
2019-4-14
Use props
OleRJ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 223645 ft
Japan

Same problem
2019-5-11
Use props
joanagra
lvl.1
Spain

Same problem
2019-5-15
Use props
Tima_007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1110312 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

I have try everything, all settings, balansing, walking like ninja but i have the same issue, ronin s is unusable for cameras with no OIS or IBIS
Dont buy this
2019-5-27
Use props
GiuFed 68
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7110 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Same problem with Lumix S1 24 105.
2019-6-22
Use props
djiuser_aLCCQMRJcLNF
lvl.1
Iran

I have the same problem & DJI have to solve it
2019-6-24
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sadly our ronin s after updates has become nothing short of useless. Perfectly balanced etc etc etc and could do better hand held using a pogo stick.  
2019-7-1
Use props
djiuser_0MB3e7daupPs
lvl.1

Hungary

Nálam is ez van...
2019-7-3
Use props
fansf8d5d8b1
New
United Kingdom

Me too, more noticeable on a 50mm lens but the Crane 2 has no wobble issue on any lens. I paid twice as nice for the ronin s as my friends did for the Zhiyun Crane 2 and frankly the Crane 2 is better than my Ronin S. I’ve been a gimbal operator since the beginning. I have the first version of the Ronin and I have tried absolutely everything in the settings to stop the wobble but no avail. How do I get my money back. It’s embarrassing trying to explain to clients why their footage isn’t as good as it is from cheaper gimbals. It’s costing me money
2019-7-29
Use props
Leon_
lvl.1

Hey Michael, did you tried to turn of SmoothTrack on Roll axe ?
2019-9-25
Use props
fans8b803c8d
Second Officer
Flight distance : 55305 ft
  • >>>

I also experienced this Ronin S roll instability on a shoot this week, simple walk along a beach, walking in 'stealth' mode very smoothly. All axis balance settings tested as Excellent. All other settings to default.

Panasonic GH5S with a 12-35mm and the lens OIS off. Quite disappointing.

The Mavic 2 Pro and Inspire 2 drones, buffeted by the wind, are subject to more instability in the air than walking movement and yet the aerial footage is quite stable. Why not the same with the Ronin S, if not better, on the ground and with bigger and more powerful gimbal motors? Something is not right here.

I see there is a much anticipated firmware update for the Ronin S just released...
2019-9-26
Use props
markbeltran
lvl.1

Same with me - the last two real estate jobs I have done were so unstable that I had to reshoot both of them on a separate day, and use the simplest of moves to avoid the roll shake. If I'd have known how bad this was going to be I'd have bought a Crane-
I am really hoping there is a firmware update to deal with this issue!! This is becoming embarrassing having to go back a 2nd time to reshoot. Clients don't understand that your tools down't work.
2019-9-26
Use props
juandavid
United States

Same here! Roll axxis always wobbles why paning horzontaly like when doing paralax. DJI you suck
2019-12-7
Use props
fans87ddc409
New

Poland

No ..., is this for real?? No solution? I have the same issue
2020-2-15
Use props
hemlockmedia
lvl.1
United States

I have the same issue, what kind of product is this, it won't do what it is designed to do.
2020-2-25
Use props
djiuser_c3VWmUu5UBd8
New
United Kingdom

Crazy. In an attempt to improve my gimbal footage, I’ve reset my S to default settings & then tweaked deadband, sensitivity etc to try on a shoot. The resulting footage is rubbish with such a wobble on all movements- some of it totally unusable as stabilise in DaVinci Resolve seriously warps it. So disappointed.... no, annoyed!
2020-3-4
Use props
fans0e8035d8
New

Sweden

I bought the Ronin S after using Crane v1. I film travel films for travel companys. Unfortunatly the Ronin s has big problems. Ive updated to the latest firmware but something is really wrong. My 5 year old gimbal gives me more smooth shots. Total useless footage. Whats happening DJI?
2020-4-2
Use props
fans9104ac7a
lvl.1

United States

Same.  My editor thought I wasn’t using a gimbal . . .
2020-4-6
Use props
fans3257018b
lvl.4
United States

Which firmware version are you guys on? I'm still on 1.8 and not having issues, but am about to update - or, maybe not.
2020-4-7
Use props
Lattikas
lvl.1

Estonia

Same here. Bought my Ronin-S couple of months ago and have used it twice now. Footage is totally unusable. Whole day of capturing the video is wasted. 1.5 years and DJI hasn't addressed that problem? What is going on?
2020-4-11
Use props
Eric Bartolo
Captain
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

Any updates on this I've been facing the same issues on mine. Tried so many different lenses and camera combination and settings/parameters nothing seems to work :s
2020-4-13
Use props
Zoltan666
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2913 ft
Ireland

The same problem Latest firmware (Jan 2020). Sony A6400 + 18-105 lens + DJI raiser plate + Manfrotto 323 quick release plate.
2020-4-14
Use props
info
lvl.1
Italy

The same problem  Latest firmware (Jan 2020). Sony A7S + Sony 10-18 lens + DJI + Dji raiser plate
2020-4-15
Use props
Blind_yoda
lvl.1
Malta

Had the same issue, ruined two shootings because of that. What seems to help is calibration.

Latest firmware 2.2.1.10 (jan 2020) ; Ronin S App v1.2.8(2169) ; IMU 0.5 ; GCU 1.0 ; Tilt ESC 1.0 ; Roll ESC 1.0

First I did System calibration in Ronin S app>status>settings>system calibration.
Then just in case I did advanced calibration app>status>settings>advanced calibration, the gimbal shaked for a few moments and now the wobbling is gone.

Not sure how often you should do that, but I think it should be done once in a while just to reset the motors positions.
2020-4-17
Use props
sky_makai
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3397539 ft
  • >>>
United States

Years later this is still an issue!
2020-6-5
Use props
Zoltan666
lvl.1
Ireland

Updated to the latest firmware 2.3.1.20 (June 2020) and problem still not solved. Wasted €550.
2020-6-21
Use props
Zoltan666
lvl.1
Ireland

Blind_yoda Posted at 4-17 11:43
Had the same issue, ruined two shootings because of that. What seems to help is calibration.

Latest firmware 2.2.1.10 (jan 2020) ; Ronin S App v1.2.8(2169) ; IMU 0.5 ; GCU 1.0 ; Tilt ESC 1.0 ; Roll ESC 1.0

I did advanced calibration many times and absolutetely no improvement.  Camara balanced perfectly - stays in any postion with power off.
2020-6-21
Use props
mickspawn
lvl.3
Australia

DJI YOU SUCK!  I demand a refund or a pro rata toward the new Ronin.  I have this same issue.
2020-8-31
Use props
PhilippN
lvl.1

Czechia

I have got similar problems w my Ronin M
2020-9-6
Use props
John12345
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2579206 ft
Finland

I have the same roll axis problem and I think I found some solutions. At least following things seems to reduced the wobbliness for me.
1. I'm still using my old beaten up GH4 and Olumpus M.Zuiko 7-14mm. Idk if I have beaten this setup to much but this lenses mount is a bit wobbly compared to my Panasonic Lumix 25mm lense.
I attached the lens support to the Ronin and really tightened it so that the 7-14mm lens does not move. This seemed to reduce the wobble a bit.
2. I did the the Motor Parameters Auto Tune and got following Stiffness settings: Tilt 35, Roll 41, Pan 42. The wobble is clearly from the back motor aka Roll axis so I manually bumped Roll Stiffness to 60. This seemed to help. So I filmed some test shots with extreme settings. One take whit Roll Stiffness on 20 and one take on 70. The low stiffens was clearly wobbling while the high stiffness was not.

So the problem seems to be that the Ronin-S is kind of overestimating its own capabilities while Auto Tuning. This seems to be something that could be fixed with firmware updates by DJI?
I'm still not 100% certain these things fixed the problem. I need to do some testing to be sure.
2020-9-17
Use props
PhilippN
lvl.1

Czechia

John12345 Posted at 9-17 02:35
I have the same roll axis problem and I think I found some solutions. At least following things seems to reduced the wobbliness for me.
1. I'm still using my old beaten up GH4 and Olumpus M.Zuiko 7-14mm. Idk if I have beaten this setup to much but this lenses mount is a bit wobbly compared to my Panasonic Lumix 25mm lense.
I attached the lens support to the Ronin and really tightened it so that the 7-14mm lens does not move. This seemed to reduce the wobble a bit.

I have the same feeling about the stiffness. The higher settings clearly helps, but I dont think the wobble disappears completely (and too high stiffness makes the motors shaking and unusable). And I get the worst results exactly with 25mm 1.7 lumix lens (on GH5S body).
And what I can not understand at all - the auto-tune stability function is completely unusable shaky mess.
2020-9-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules