The next step in automation...
1096 11 2018-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ff22
Second Officer
United States

It most certainly could be me but getting the left/right movements down when the drone is flying back toward me is still tricky.

What DJI needs to do is to automatically change the control sticks action when the drone is coming back.  So when returning, pressing the left stick to the left turns the drone to the left.  Pressing to the right, turns it right.  

Similarly, the right stick would move the drone sidewards to the left, the way the stick is pressed when it is coming toward you.  And right, when pressed to the right.

I will allow others to figure out when the drone is now moving an exact 90 degrees!!!

2018-12-9
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's called headless operation. Some drones, mostly inexpensive toy types, are capable of that. Once you get used to flying, it will just come naturally and you won't need that capability.

http://www.dronesglobe.com/guide/headless-mode/
2018-12-9
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Damn.  Someone already violated my patent! (g)

Interesting.  Maybe it's the weather or the fact that I have to drive 20 miles to fly but I'm not getting in enough practice.  That "opposite" orientation still catches me off balance.  
2018-12-9
Use props
Bart B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 878852 ft
United States

Practice figure 8's it will help a ton
2018-12-9
Use props
Nazar78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

Bart B Posted at 12-9 16:24
Practice figure 8's it will help a ton

Agree with the above. Keep on practicing as it will help you in an emergency situation i.e. a sudden switch to ATTI mode. There's also a few free drone flight simulator apps you can try. Although not as realistic, it will help with your orientations.
2018-12-10
Use props
tjalex
Second Officer
Flight distance : 422375 ft
  • >>>
Chile

Thanks for the information..
2018-12-15
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Apart from my spark and my mavic pro, i also own a Yuneec q500, and that one does have headless mode.
I think it’s for beginners really
I already proponed to DJI to add headless mode to their drones, they said that they will take it into consideration.

Flysafely
Alex
2018-12-15
Use props
iFlylikeafridge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2355823 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Headless mode is useless when you learn how to fly it properly. More on that, if the controls get automatically reversed when rotating the quadcopter, you will not be able to execute complex flight maneuvers.

Cheers,
2018-12-15
Use props
Mavic2steve
lvl.2
Flight distance : 602667 ft

United States

I remember when first learning how to fly rc heli’s and how expensive it was to learn how to do figure 8’s lol!  Hell...it was expensive to learn how to hover let alone for those unexpected “oh ...” moments aka a gust of wind or a brain fart moment.  You need to learn how to fly properly first because if you get an “oh ...” moment with a ~$1500 drone you’ll be buying another one!  Reversing the controls would surely cause a lot more crashes than it would save.  My recommendation is to buy a small cheap drone and practice in your living room or backyard.  When I fly rc’s without fpv gear I pretend I’m sitting in the cockpit and let my hands follow what my eyes should be seeing...if that makes any sense.  Good luck!
2018-12-16
Use props
Mavic2steve
lvl.2
Flight distance : 602667 ft

United States

Double post
2018-12-16
Use props
tjalex
Second Officer
Flight distance : 422375 ft