storage
1697 14 2018-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AirXact
lvl.3
Flight distance : 629800 ft
United States

HI FolksIM from Texas and occasionally it gets cold here.   I have P3s and P4s.    I know under 32 degrees F is too cold to fly...but what about to store.   Im wondering if storing my birds in a cold garage will be a problem?   Any thougths??
2018-12-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

You can fly in below freezing weather provided your battery is warm before you start.  I've done it 100 times.  No problems.  

I would not keep my precious Phantoms in a garage.  Some may have different opinions.  But the main thing is your batteries.  You must not keep your batteries in the garage.  It's out of the question.

Good luck

2018-12-10
Use props
Caspers driver
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4540515 ft
United States

Hi AirXact, I live out on the high plains of NM, and I agree with Mark and the battery storage and flying.  You can fly in cold enough WX that your hands will be in more danger than your drone. Haha
I fly all my drones all winter. Just make sure you start with full charged and warm battery. And keep checking on app the voltage and temperature.

Lots of fun and beautiful flying in winter. Just be safe (like we are supposed to be all the time)
2018-12-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

In Texas ? Blimey ... garage is absolutely fine !!

The main point is not below freezing + make sure battery is warmed up before use - there is absolutely no problem at all to store at low temps and in fact it can be better as the chemical / physical action inside the cells is slowed.

Store at 30 - 50% charge level and stop worrying.

Many RC LiPo users actually store LiPo's in the fridge, avoiding high temps of summer etc.

Nigel

2018-12-11
Use props
AirXact
lvl.3
United States

thanks everyone!
2018-12-11
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The recommended storage temperature for the aircraft would be between 22° and 28° C. You could visit our website to know more about the safety guidelines when in terms of storing your drones and batteries. You may refer to the link below. Thank you for continued support.

https://www.dji.com/phantom-4/info#downloads
2018-12-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Please don’t store your precious investment, do get out and enjoy her... wear gloves if you need to.
As suggested, keep your flight batteries warm before flight. RC too for that matter.
I think my iApple iPad Air2 Cellular, would give out from severe cold weather, before my Phantom 3 Pro, drone or rc will.

But yeah, Heck, I rYde my SpYder RS-S mostly all year, here in Edmonton Alberta.

+32*F??  It’s going up to -2*C here today, a gorgeous warm fall afternoon.  Practically tee shirt weather for us...

RedHotPoker
2018-12-11
Use props
AirXact
lvl.3
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 12-11 11:12
Please don’t store your precious investment, do get out and enjoy her... wear gloves if you need to.
As suggested, keep your flight batteries warm before flight. RC too for that matter.
I think my iApple iPad Air2 Cellular, would give out from severe cold weather, before my Phantom 3 Pro, drone or rc will.

duly noted and thanks.   For the Record though...I have two P3s and two P4's.   I cant fly them all every day ;-)    My wife is just tired of seeing them laying around inside the house.     
2018-12-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

AirXact Posted at 12-11 11:15
duly noted and thanks.   For the Record though...I have two P3s and two P4's.   I cant fly them all every day ;-)    My wife is just tired of seeing them laying around inside the house.

Get hooks and suspend them from the ceiling, or build a nice shelf and create an awesome fleet/hangar.

But don’t let them get dusty, yes, take them all out and fly them on a very regular basis.

Or eBay is your new bff... ha

Do you need both the P3s?

RedHotPoker
2018-12-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Just to go back to my post ... I only answered with regard to the LiPo's after reading anothers post.

As regard the actual model ? Many of my models have to endure storage in the guest accoms down by the river which is unheated in winter ... can get down to -20C easily at times. My P3P though stays indoors ... but there's no reason it couldn't stay with the others ... its not steady cold thats a problem ... its if you keep going warm to cold to warm etc... that can lead to condensation internally. But we do it !!

Nigel
2018-12-11
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just keep them at room temp and around a 50 % charge and they will be fine.
2018-12-11
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 12-10 17:41
You can fly in below freezing weather provided your battery is warm before you start.  I've done it 100 times.  No problems.  

I would not keep my precious Phantoms in a garage.  Some may have different opinions.  But the main thing is your batteries.  You must not keep your batteries in the garage.  It's out of the question.

He is not asking about flying, he is asking about storage. Please read the Post before replying.
2018-12-11
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 12-11 17:19
He is not asking about flying, he is asking about storage. Please read the Post before replying.

Please learn how to read before replying.

I know under 32 degrees F is too cold to fly...

2018-12-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

C'mon guys ... we all have made comments about BOTH aspects ... Storage and flying ... its all relevant.

Nigel
2018-12-12
Use props
BagoDJIoperator84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

I stored my batteries in a closet for 9 months, room temp and no issues, I havent taken out my drone in cold but you shouldnt have any issues at all just keep the batteries around 25-50% charge you be fine.
2018-12-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules