Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

See the video below.
Ugh, I really wanted this to work perfectly since I have been unable to use the full functionality of my Ronin-s with the GH5s since purchase (about 3 months + ago).

I updated the Ronin-s firmware to v1.7.0.60 today.  Although I don't see the myriad of problems I had previously (as well documented in a variety of other threads), I quickly saw one of the problems after just a few minutes... so it is probably safe to assume that other problems (which were always intermittent) might return as well.

The problem I am seeing:
After a few minutes of running the Ronin-s while tethered (via USB) to my GH5s, the focus wheel light starts flashing red and I lose the ability to focus with the wheel, as well as lose the ability to use the start/stop button on the Ronin (Start/Stop button quits working for setting focus or controlling the camera).  Everything else seems to be working on the Ronin, but losing the focus and start/stop abilities is really frustrating, especially after all these months of your engineers trying to fix the problem.

Steps to fix:
Shut down the Ronin and reboot it.  Then the focus works for a duration of a minute to several minutes before the problem re-occurs.  100% repeatable after much testing.

Steps to repeat:
Mount GH5s and connect to Ronin-s via USB cable
Power up external monitor
Power up Ronin-s
Power up GH5s
Set GH5s to PC Tether
Operate normally until problem occurs.

Specifics about the scenario:
GH5s (with the latest firmware)Panasonic 12-35 lens (approved by DJI)
Ronin-S with v1.7.0.60 firmware (the latest as of this date)
Camera and Ronin-s connected via included USB cable.
GH5s connected via HDMI to 5" external monitor.

2018-12-11
Use props
bob_angie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321519 ft
United States

I wish I didn't have to reply to this, but it's true. I can confirm this is accurate with an external monitor + app. I can also confirm this is happening with the command unit. This even happened with GH5s + Ronin-s + Command unit with NO external monitor. The only positive to this new glitch is that the Ronin-S motors stay completely functional and your camera continues to record so at least the take isn't ruined like before. However, losing the ability to focus and control your camera without a restart is kind of the problem I was hoping would be fixed. I plan to make a post in the facebook group about this. Hopefully, DJI catches wind and this can be addressed in a new firmware.

Damn shame, we ALMOST had perfect functionality. I'm beginning to think the GH5+GH5s just doesn't have the bandwidth to support tether(pc) command inputs while recording. That's a lot of data streaming through USB-C. Not to mention the Ronin-S is receiving a video signal, even if it's not displayed anywhere.

I hope this gets fixed, until then I'm switching back to the cable that start/stops through the remote port on my GH5s.
2018-12-11
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I've added a video showing the problem.

After further research (and as shown in the video), the joystick dies sometimes too. So although with the newest firmware update, the motors no longer lose power or go crazy when the problem occurs, the joystick quits working along with the Start/Stop button and the focus wheel... about 50% of the time.
2018-12-11
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Anyone else seeing this problem?
2018-12-14
Use props
fansa605563a
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11778 ft
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 12-14 12:38

Same problem on GH5. I hope they fix this soon. On second unit and the same issues so it has to do with the firmware not hardware.
2018-12-15
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Well, I just had a very difficult shoot for a client with this problem.  I REALLY needed to be able to use the Ronin-S to its full potential since I was in a run and gun event shoot, in a dark environment, and I needed to shoot wide open (due to the darkness) and ride the focus.

DJI, any indication if your engineers are still working on finally being able to meet the advertising of the compatibility with the GH5 series?  Really, I am starting to thing DJI should be ashamed.  False advertising is starting to feel like the reality to me.
2018-12-19
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI; Any feedback on this?
2018-12-27
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy?  Anyone?  DJI?  
2018-12-30
Use props
Wisdom Tooth
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535308 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 12-30 15:31
DJI Mindy?  Anyone?  DJI?

Ridiculous that they won't reply.
2018-12-31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi all, I'm so sorry for the late response because the thread was missed, if I didn't reply in time, please reply to me directly in other threads then I will receive the notification and reply as soon as possible.
This issue has been escalated to our engineers for attention and further tests, I will keep you updated of the test result and the further resolution, please wait a moment, thank you.
2019-1-3
Use props
djiuser_0OwCEIxPvczY
New
Germany

Mabou2 Posted at 2018-12-14 12:38

I have this problem as well. In addition i cannot turn off the camera when this problem arises and the only way to interrupt the recording is to remove the battery of the GH5s!!
2019-1-4
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sigh... still waiting.
2019-1-18
Use props
John Phelan
lvl.1
Ireland

I use the flat Rhino cable (4k 50p) and the focus works, although it's a little stiff and once your careful with your movements it doesn't cause any problems. The  Atomos Flexi cable doesn't work, so maybe it's a cable thing and not a software issue.
2019-1-19
Use props
John Phelan
lvl.1
Ireland

OK I know I said it worked with the Rhino flat cables, but it doesn't, although it does take it longer for the focus fault to happen. So yes it is a firmware bug as people have posted that id did not happen with the previous firmware. Every time DJI fix something inevitably something else goes wrong, but this has got to be a big issue as being able to use the focus wheel with your GH5 GH5s is the reason most of us bought the Ronin S. Please DJI fix this ASAP.
2019-1-20
Use props
djiuser_Q7rNcrDtzng5
New
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-3 22:51
Hi all, I'm so sorry for the late response because the thread was missed, if I didn't reply in time, please reply to me directly in other threads then I will receive the notification and reply as soon as possible.
This issue has been escalated to our engineers for attention and further tests, I will keep you updated of the test result and the further resolution, please wait a moment, thank you.

Hello, Using my GH5, I am able to connect to the Image App on my ipad via wifi and bluetooth from the camera.  However when i tether the camera to my Ronin s via the USB-C cable, WiFi and Bluetooth become greyed out functions in the camera and are disabled.  When i unplug the cable, the functions are enabled.  Is this a known bug?  All latest versions.  Please get back asap, i have client shoots the next two days and they wish to view on this wireless set up, and i wish to have follow focus.  Thx
2019-1-25
Use props
russkn87
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430039 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am still having the issue on GH5 & GH5S. It makes shooting with the Ronin-S unusable.

Did anyone find a fix for this?
2019-2-25
Use props
russkn87
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi, I’m having the same issue as other people in this thread with both the GH5 and GH5S (I have both).

This issue is making my Ronin-S unreliable and I’m looking to return it and use a different gimbal if it can’t be fixed. It’s been a long time that this has been happening and sometimes the only way to gain control of the setup is to remove the GH5 battery.

This really is not good enough.
2019-2-25
Use props
Moshe.mmm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1320098 ft
  • >>>
Israel

HI Mindy,
Please take a look at my  post

https://forum.dji.com/thread-179243-1-1.html

Thank you.
2019-2-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Moshe.mmm Posted at 2-26 09:58
HI Mindy,
Please take a look at my  post

Hi Moshe.mmm, sorry for the late response because of the Chinese New Year, I have replied your thread, please check and keep us updated there, thank you.
2019-2-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_Q7rNcrDtzng5 Posted at 1-25 23:14
Hello, Using my GH5, I am able to connect to the Image App on my ipad via wifi and bluetooth from the camera.  However when i tether the camera to my Ronin s via the USB-C cable, WiFi and Bluetooth become greyed out functions in the camera and are disabled.  When i unplug the cable, the functions are enabled.  Is this a known bug?  All latest versions.  Please get back asap, i have client shoots the next two days and they wish to view on this wireless set up, and i wish to have follow focus.  Thx

Hi there, sorry for the late response because of Chinese New Year, when connecting to Ronin-S, you just need to adjust the settings via the Ronin APP. May we verify if the Ronin APP works normally?
2019-2-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

russkn87 Posted at 2-25 21:24
Hi, I’m having the same issue as other people in this thread with both the GH5 and GH5S (I have both).

This issue is making my Ronin-S unreliable and I’m looking to return it and use a different gimbal if it can’t be fixed. It’s been a long time that this has been happening and sometimes the only way to gain control of the setup is to remove the GH5 battery.

Hi russkn87, I understand your concern, this issue is always our priority and we had optimized via the firmware once but it seems the issue persists according to other users' feedback. Our engineers are still working on it, for further analysis, any chance to provide us the model of your external monitor and a short video clip? Thank you in advance.
2019-2-27
Use props
russkn87
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Mindy,

Thanks for your reply! I have made a short video replicating the clip on YouTube (it's unpublished on YouTube so hidden from public view).

The HDMI monitor is just a normal monitor, AndyCine A6 with normal HDMI cable (it occurs with any HDMI cable).

I have both GH5 and GH5S with this problem, the GH5S is brand new that I bought last week from Panasonic - fresh out the box it happened.

Feel free to ask me any questions that might help get this fixed, I know I am not the only one with this issue

Russell
2019-3-1
Use props
Kuns10
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Same issue here - only difference now my focus doesn't even blink red anymore and it doesn't work at all in any situation.

I can see this has been going on for months now...I obviously was lucky enough to not incur in this issue as often as you.

Any chance anyone knows why my Focus ring doesn't even blink red?
2019-3-1
Use props
jdude
New

Australia

Just made an account after getting my Ronin S a couple days ago and had my first shoot last night. Issue still there with all updates on camera and Gimbal.

Lost half of my shots from the camera stopping the recording when the focus wheel lost connection and half my shots left over are unusable because they are out of focus as the wheel stopped responding mid shot.

Is there any update on this at all Mindy?
2019-3-22
Use props
fansf9363869
lvl.2
United States

jdude Posted at 3-22 14:31
Just made an account after getting my Ronin S a couple days ago and had my first shoot last night. Issue still there with all updates on camera and Gimbal.

Lost half of my shots from the camera stopping the recording when the focus wheel lost connection and half my shots left over are unusable because they are out of focus as the wheel stopped responding mid shot.

Update your firmware to the latest version. These problems are fixed, but new ones are introduced. Check out the March firmware thread for a litany of issues.
2019-3-22
Use props
jdude
New

Australia

fansf9363869 Posted at 3-22 22:16
Update your firmware to the latest version. These problems are fixed, but new ones are introduced. Check out the March firmware thread for a litany of issues.

idk if you read the literaly second sentence. everything is updated. like as of thursday.  Update didnt do ....
2019-3-23
Use props
jdude
New

Australia

Update your firmware to the latest version. These problems are fixed, but new ones are introduced. Check out the March firmware thread for a litany of issues.

idk if you read the literaly second sentence. everything is updated. like as of thursday.  Update didnt do anything.
2019-3-23
Use props
jdude
New

Australia

Not sure if you read my actual reply but "issue still there with all updates"
2019-3-23
Use props
fansf9363869
lvl.2
United States

What firmware version are you using?
2019-3-23
Use props
russkn87
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm using the latest (March 2019) firmware and it actually made my issue worse. In the end I had to purchase the DJI Focus Motor and a GH4 cable (2.5mm) just so I can use my GH5S/GH5 without interruption - it's not idea and cost me more money but at least now I have a reliable rig. The USB-C and HDMI connections at the same time simply DO NOT WORK, or if they do, for like 10 minutes before either the gimbal and/or camera become unresponsive. It's simply not good enough, but I'm stuck with this now.
2019-3-24
Use props
russkn87
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hello, just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone else is having this issue, and if there was any update on DJI's side.
2019-4-4
Use props
Chris M25
New

Estonia

Hello, can someone confirm, has the dji fixed the issue?
2019-7-18
Use props
russkn87
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Chris M25 Posted at 7-18 02:12
Hello, can someone confirm, has the dji fixed the issue?

No, they didn't - I ended up switching to a different manufacturer and sold my Ronin-S.
2019-7-22
Use props
fegato
lvl.2
Flight distance : 251886 ft
  • >>>
Italy

what a nightmare, please fix it!
2020-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now