How do you like to learn to fly your Spark?
1789 14 2018-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

There are lots of resources on the Internet that help people fly DJI Sparks. Some of the most common resources include:

Thinking about all of the drone resources you’ve come across, which are your favorite? Which do you feel offer the most value when you’re in search of tips for learning how to fly your DJI Spark?

2018-12-11
Use props
SAADHERO
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2269905 ft
Kuwait

bought the Hubsan Nano and Crashed million times then a hubsan elite crashed once due to compass and engine stopped working at 250m+
i have destroyed alot of cheap drones but i got experience from them
so i bought the spark =)
2018-12-12
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Built my first quadcopter from parts from HK as back in the time I learned to fly quads, there was no real budget toys to practice.

My son learned with el cheapo toys even without ATTI, then switching to highly assisted DJI drones was a joke and EZPZ thing to do.

Currently, we built some sub 100USD acro for him to learn proper flying, something not achievable with any of DJI drones... heck, even ATTI mode switch is a hassle.
It's pretty much like ink jet philosophy... ink jet is cheap but you pay for ink... so same with the acro, it is cheap but a lots of props needed.
2018-12-12
Use props
Laz22
lvl.3
Flight distance : 63307 ft
United States

Flying toy grade drones for years without many features found on the Spark.  Reading a ton on this forum about how the Spark behaves and what to expect before I pulled the trigger.  And of course YouTube videos.
2018-12-12
Use props
FerdiKC
lvl.1
United States

I would really love to but currently in a no fly zone (cannot fly) but I'm in the middle of nowhere and geo map isn't helping either.

My_Home

My_Home
2018-12-12
Use props
FerdiKC
lvl.1
United States

FerdiKC Posted at 12-12 06:07
I would really love to but currently in a no fly zone (cannot fly) but I'm in the middle of nowhere and geo map isn't helping either.

I've figured it out through the unlocking license setting.
The previous owner had it set to his/her location to fly.
So, when I deselected the unlocking license for that entry - I now can fly around my location or anywhere less for that matter.
2018-12-12
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Flying is not as a big deal as photography or videography. For safty flying you just need to read carefully and thoughtfully DJI User guide. If anyway you stay with questions, just ask them here.
2018-12-29
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Learned to fly R/C in like 1975. Bought a toy quadcopter for $40 in 2014...
2018-12-29
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Lysak2003 Posted at 12-29 03:05
Flying is not as big deal as photography or videography. For safty flying you just need to read carefully thoughtfully DJI User guide. If anyway you stay with questions, just ask them there.

In many ways, I think this is why people lose their drone when it goes into ATTI mode.  Flying in a nation's airspace is a big deal.   Bigger deal than taking a picture.

People need to train to be able to pilot radio control aircraft.  The drone autopilot will not always be there to fly the drone for the photographer.  There needs to be a pilot available when the autopilot loses GPS lock or has compass issues and goes into ATTI mode.  The pilot needs the skills to be able to recover the drone safely to home base in ATTI mode without needing RTH.

Buy a toy drone without stabilization and learn to fly it in all orientations (facing away, facing towards you, far away, close in, etc.).  Crashes will happen while people learn to pilot so cheap toy drones are recommended.  But if you can afford to lose a few Spark drones, it too can be a great trainer.

Spark return 5.gif
2018-12-29
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Gunship9 Posted at 12-29 08:26
In many ways, I think this is why people lose their drone when it goes into ATTI mode.  Flying in a nation's airspace is a big deal.   Bigger deal than taking a picture.

People need to train to be able to pilot radio control aircraft.  The drone autopilot will not always be there to fly the drone for the photographer.  There needs to be a pilot available when the autopilot loses GPS lock or has compass issues and goes into ATTI mode.  The pilot needs the skills to be able to recover the drone safely to home base in ATTI mode without needing RTH.
[Image]
Have you ever flown in ATTI mode? Can you share with us what exactly did you experience in that situations?
2018-12-29
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Yes, I have flown in ATTI mode and/or RATE mode all my RC models.  I had the inverted helicopter continue to close on me as I did a fast pass by myself.  I started to run away to avoid the blades before I realized I was imputing wrong commands for the orientation of an inverted helicopter facing me.  I finally managed to get the helicopter to veer away when it was within 5 feet of me.    I have occasionally lost orientation and a feel for the aircraft with my airplanes.  Usually because it is too far away and has become a vague silhouette.  But, I am very fast at reversing my controls when my input is making things worse.

Videos and data logs of lost Sparks show the photographers holding wrong input for the orientation of the Spark or not giving any input at all,... as the Spark flies away.  Low or no pilot skills.

I am a pilot of the Spark first.  Photography skills is secondary to safe flight and keeping the Spark in my possession.  This thread could easily become combative but it is not my intention.  I just don't want people to lose their Spark drones.  Training and practice will keep the Spark in their possession.

AOrientation3.jpg
2018-12-29
Use props
djiuser_oVqw71jXp29D
lvl.2

United States

I bought a Tello a few days before my Spark arrived and learned to fly with it.
I spent 2 or 3 weeks flying it before I even activated the Spark, and felt confident with the Spark from day 1.
2018-12-29
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

Gunship9 Posted at 12-29 12:17
Yes, I have flown in ATTI mode and/or RATE mode all my RC models.  I had the inverted helicopter continue to close on me as I did a fast pass by myself.  I started to run away to avoid the blades before I realized I was imputing wrong commands for the orientation of an inverted helicopter facing me.  I finally managed to get the helicopter to veer away when it was within 5 feet of me.    I have occasionally lost orientation and a feel for the aircraft with my airplanes.  Usually because it is too far away and has become a vague silhouette.  But, I am very fast at reversing my controls when my input is making things worse.

Videos and data logs of lost Sparks show the photographers holding wrong input for the orientation of the Spark or not giving any input at all,... as the Spark flies away.  Low or no pilot skills.

It does not help at all that it's not possible to switch ATTI mode when we could be prepared for it and ready to learn to fly it in ATTI mode. When it does switch to ATTI mode, then you can pray the heck that it is not disconnected from the remote because the only thing that could control it is that darn remote. I think most lose their spark because it disconnect and switch to ATTI then you have no control at all.

Without the option to experience ATTI mode and learn before it's too late, the ATTI mode popping unexpectedly is a real plague. DJI needs to able the Spark to switch to ATTI, that's a MUST.
2018-12-29
Use props
darkfull1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

Daniella3d Posted at 12-29 12:53
It does not help at all that it's not possible to switch ATTI mode when we could be prepared for it and ready to learn to fly it in ATTI mode. When it does switch to ATTI mode, then you can pray the heck that it is not disconnected from the remote because the only thing that could control it is that darn remote. I think most lose their spark because it disconnect and switch to ATTI then you have no control at all.

Without the option to experience ATTI mode and learn before it's too late, the ATTI mode popping unexpectedly is a real plague. DJI needs to able the Spark to switch to ATTI, that's a MUST.

I agree I would like to practice in ATTI mode too. I have the chance to have a racing drone which is a lot harder to fly than the spark so hopefully I can manage in ATTI mode if needed. But they really don't react the same.
2018-12-30
Use props
ajmckay
lvl.2
Flight distance : 64682 ft
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 12-29 12:17
Yes, I have flown in ATTI mode and/or RATE mode all my RC models.  I had the inverted helicopter continue to close on me as I did a fast pass by myself.  I started to run away to avoid the blades before I realized I was imputing wrong commands for the orientation of an inverted helicopter facing me.  I finally managed to get the helicopter to veer away when it was within 5 feet of me.    I have occasionally lost orientation and a feel for the aircraft with my airplanes.  Usually because it is too far away and has become a vague silhouette.  But, I am very fast at reversing my controls when my input is making things worse.

[Image]

I think that knowing how to pilot the drone is very important, but I also think that comes with some experience.  Also being a good pilot lends itself naturally to taking good videos and photos. I also have a small hubsan x4 which has nearly zero pilot assist.  I'm not good at flying it but I can manage.

For me, when the spark goes into atti mode i don't really know what to do because it's usually just temporary and I take precautions to only fly in areas where it's safe and there is good gps signal.

What I'm trying to figure out now is how to keep from losing a drone. Is the only real solution to fly it close enough so that you can manually pilot it? Realistically it's so small I can only see it up to maybe 75m or so if I lose video signal.  Appreciate the comments though, as I'm learning.

2018-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules