Laser rangefinder on P4P ?
3432 7 2018-12-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Strannik Wolkov
lvl.2
Russia

For photogrammetry purposes (whale size measurements) we'd like to install a lightweight laser ragefinder - type  LightWare SF11/C  (Lightware Optoelectronics, weight: 35 g) on a Phantom 4 Pro. Has anyone got experience with installing-connecting laser rangefinders on their craft? Are there other lrf models that could be recommended besides the LightWare-types? I know this has been done with DJI Inspire-1 UAVs, but we are looking for a more compact and less costly alternative.

DJI_0040_16072017_6_small.jpg
2018-12-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Strannik Wolkov. Thank you for sharing this information with us. Just a friendly reminder that we do not recommend using 3rd party devices for DJI Drone. 3rd party devices might affect the drone or its component and can also affect the performance of the drone when in use. Thank you for your support.
2018-12-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Certainly, there are numerous devices , light enough for the task at hand.
Less than a couple hundred dollars buys a decent quality unit
https://www.robotshop.com/en/single-beam.html

Or, For a mere. $30, on the lower scale.
https://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/30-laser-rangefinder

RedHotPoker

2018-12-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Did you ever hook up your measuring device, to your drone...?

Interested in learning what you used, and how well it works for you.

RedHotPoker
2019-6-29
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excuse the lack of knowledge but would/could such a device send it's readings to the controller and viewer etc. to give the pilot "live" info? If so, how?
Most of my 'serious' flying so far has been from above the drone i.e. from cliff tops and judging how close the drone is to, in my case, sea level is, when low enough to need to be careful, rather difficult and if feasible this might be useful.
I hold my hands up and admit I haven't looked to see if the P3 adv's visual height sensing system is registering over water and I will try to try that later today but I think I would be worrying if within 3m of the normal seas around here.
2019-7-2
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Stunning capture
2019-7-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

But those barnacles are nearly Gnarly... ha

RedHotPoker
2019-7-2
Use props
Jonson Smith
lvl.2

Bangladesh

In my opinion, I will recommend Nikon Forestry Pro II Laser Rangefinder. Also you can read this information to find the best Rangefinders for you.
2021-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules