Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
import clips to iOS
12Next >
14519 43 2018-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Satureyes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524908 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Osmo Pocket connected to iPad Pro 2018 with USB-C is recognised. Hurray.

- but will not import certain variants of the 4k video.

Other video and stills - yes - but not everything.

Does not import with USB-C card reader either.

Here's what I have imported..

4k 30p

4k 25p Superfine

4k 24p Superfine

Why only these?

2018-12-13
Use props
TimK1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71975 ft
United Kingdom

Is that using the MIMO app - or just a direct import into Photos app?  If the latter then it's an Apple Photos problem so not really a DJI thing.  Photos probably doesn't support different 4k types.  Just my two pennies.
2018-12-13
Use props
TimK1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71975 ft
United Kingdom

Looks like Photos doesn't support anything other than 30fps on 4k. there's a load of Apple Qs on their support site.
2018-12-13
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TimK1 Posted at 12-13 03:15
Is that using the MIMO app - or just a direct import into Photos app?  If the latter then it's an Apple Photos problem so not really a DJI thing.  Photos probably doesn't support different 4k types.  Just my two pennies.

Seems like the Mimo App doesn't support all the 4k imports either.
2018-12-13
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

You'd need to get it on a laptop/desktop and inspect the video codec/wrapper and see what it is. I've seen it before on Mavic Air that the DNG metadata was incomplete and thus Photos would not open the DNG files. Some handy chap on here had a command to run that corrected it and then meant they could be imported. I think DJI eventually updated the DNG to include the metadata so that it would work. Wouldn't surprise me if something similar is happening here.

You'd probably need to hit up the Apple forums with the details of the video file and they will be able to say why it wont work.
2018-12-13
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cameleon Posted at 12-13 03:21
You'd need to get it on a laptop/desktop and inspect the video codec/wrapper and see what it is. I've seen it before on Mavic Air that the DNG metadata was incomplete and thus Photos would not open the DNG files. Some handy chap on here had a command to run that corrected it and then meant they could be imported. I think DJI eventually updated the DNG to include the metadata so that it would work. Wouldn't surprise me if something similar is happening here.

You'd probably need to hit up the Apple forums with the details of the video file and they will be able to say why it wont work.

I've had a quick scan of the web - I've seen people editing 4k 60 footage on their iPads. I have the very latest iPad Pro so it's not a processor thing.

I also tried mp4 and mov to see if that makes a difference.

I dont understand why 30p would import and 60p wont.
2018-12-13
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Current DJI MIMO is unable to import 4k video.

We are working on this.
2018-12-13
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-ytao Posted at 12-13 03:54

Thanks for the update.

How can I get the footage into my iPad? I have the card reader etc. Why would 4k30p work and not 4k60p?

Other people use the iPad to edit 4k60p (Panasonic cameras etc) so what is the issue with DJI?
2018-12-13
Use props
Chuan Woi Ng
lvl.1
Singapore

It will be great if have the update ASAP
2018-12-13
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Satureyes Posted at 12-13 03:52
I've had a quick scan of the web - I've seen people editing 4k 60 footage on their iPads. I have the very latest iPad Pro so it's not a processor thing.

Yes it is fully possible, but that assumes DJI packages the file with the correct information that the iPad knows what it is. Maybe for the 4k60p is packaged a different way to the 4k30p and that is what is stopping it. You could probably convert it on a PC in a way that the iPad will work with it fine. Hence the need to get it onto a PC/mac where you can see the metadata about the file and see the difference.

If you can put a couple of clips on dropbox or something - unedited from the SD card-  of 4k30p and 4k60p then we might be able to investigate it.
2018-12-13
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cameleon Posted at 12-13 04:42
Yes it is fully possible, but that assumes DJI packages the file with the correct information that the iPad knows what it is. Maybe for the 4k60p is packaged a different way to the 4k30p and that is what is stopping it. You could probably convert it on a PC in a way that the iPad will work with it fine. Hence the need to get it onto a PC/mac where you can see the metadata about the file and see the difference.

If you can put a couple of clips on dropbox or something - unedited from the SD card-  of 4k30p and 4k60p then we might be able to investigate it.

I'm about to head off travelling and was hoping to pull the clips from my various cameras etc straight into the new iPad - edit on the go etc. I hope it's a simple fix!

I have uploaded the 2 short clips to WeTransfer.
I did notice that in the media information is showing the frame rates at 29.97 and 59.94 - not sure if this is an indicator?

test files
2018-12-13
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

OK, so took a quick look with MediaInfo on the two videos.

30p:
Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L5.1

60p
Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L5.2

Maybe iPad doesn't support the format profile High@L5.2?
2018-12-13
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Officially iPad Pro (2018) only supports (playback) upto 4k30p @ 4.2

(https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad-pro/specs/)
"Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 4K, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.2 "

Maybe the video editing software you've seen reads them via File Browser and does its own decode/encoding? LumaFusion seems to be the most popular and seems to do it this way, rather than via Photos/Camera roll.
2018-12-13
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Satureyes Posted at 12-13 04:03
Thanks for the update.

How can I get the footage into my iPad? I have the card reader etc. Why would 4k30p work and not 4k60p?

The thing is that our 4k60 video has a bitrate of 100Mbps.

apple device feels the bitrate is too large for its gallery.

If you want to edit, u need to transcode the 4k60 to lower bitrates.

There exists some sd card reading app( it has a sd card reader and transfer via its app), which does this things.
2018-12-13
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cameleon Posted at 12-13 06:09
Officially iPad Pro (2018) only supports (playback) upto 4k30p @ 4.2

(https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad-pro/specs/)

I dont want to use the camera roll but not sure how to get the footage into Lumafusion without it?
2018-12-13
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Satureyes Posted at 12-13 08:02
I dont want to use the camera roll but not sure how to get the footage into Lumafusion without it?

No idea I'm afraid, I don't use it. I only know about it as I've been looking into the iPad pro to use as a video editor myself, but I haven't actually used it.

DJI appear to confirm above. Looks like you'll need LumaFusion with some other way to access the files. I think LF supports the SD card readers, so you'd need a USB-C card reader and copy it to the iPad that way? It *might* even detect the OP itself connected via USB-C direct, but I really dont know.
2018-12-13
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cameleon Posted at 12-13 08:08
No idea I'm afraid, I don't use it. I only know about it as I've been looking into the iPad pro to use as a video editor myself, but I haven't actually used it.

DJI appear to confirm above. Looks like you'll need LumaFusion with some other way to access the files. I think LF supports the SD card readers, so you'd need a USB-C card reader and copy it to the iPad that way? It *might* even detect the OP itself connected via USB-C direct, but I really dont know.

I have lumafusion. Also the SD reader and also  WD MyPassport Wireless Pro.
If I put the files from the OP to the WD drive I can import to Luma. However Luma plays the files fine- but with a warning they are not compatible with iOS.
Plugging the card directly to the iPad only allows the files to be seen in the photos app- and then we can’t import the 4k60 files anyway.

Limafusion does not allow browsing to the SD card directly. Only via third party access to cloud services and also the WD drive.

On the WD drive there is a SD card reader and a USB 2.0 socket. If the OP is connected via USB then Lumafusion sees the card (because it’s via the WD drive)

For now it seems the simplest solution is 4k30 which obviously is a shame and not making the most from the Osmo.

What I don’t understand is that some people have used Luma to import GH5 movies at 4k60 via the photos app method.

2018-12-13
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What’s also odd is that if I import the 4k60 file to my Mac desktop and then let it upload to my photos - it takes a LONG time to upload one small file but then I can import it no problem on my iPad. It’s very odd. I’m assuming it does something on upload to the cloud to the file header and this enables it to be played. Whether it’s compressing or changing it in some way who knows.
2018-12-13
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Satureyes Posted at 12-13 14:01
What’s also odd is that if I import the 4k60 file to my Mac desktop and then let it upload to my photos - it takes a LONG time to upload one small file but then I can import it no problem on my iPad. It’s very odd. I’m assuming it does something on upload to the cloud to the file header and this enables it to be played. Whether it’s compressing or changing it in some way who knows.

My understanding is that iCloud will convert the file formats to make it compatible. Not sure what that would actually do to the file, make it 30p or downgrade the bitrate? No idea, maybe Apple support can help with that. I know they do something in the background though.
Are you able to connect the OP to the iPad via USB-C directly? That would show the OP as a drive to iOS and should allow LumaFusion to read it?

Would be good if you work it out as I'm looking at the iPad Pro in the future
2018-12-14
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cameleon Posted at 12-14 00:56
My understanding is that iCloud will convert the file formats to make it compatible. Not sure what that would actually do to the file, make it 30p or downgrade the bitrate? No idea, maybe Apple support can help with that. I know they do something in the background though.
Are you able to connect the OP to the iPad via USB-C directly? That would show the OP as a drive to iOS and should allow LumaFusion to read it?

I can connect the pocket to the iPad- via usb C but it doesn’t show as a drive. It asked me on the Pocket if I want to connect- and the photos app opens for import but of course won’t pull in the 4k60. Just gives me errors and ignores them for the footage it can import.

Doesn’t appear to be a way of directly importing to Lumafusion either. Only via a third party cloud or hard drive cloud service.
2018-12-14
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
  • >>>
China

Satureyes Posted at 12-14 01:45
I can connect the pocket to the iPad- via usb C but it doesn’t show as a drive. It asked me on the Pocket if I want to connect- and the photos app opens for import but of course won’t pull in the 4k60. Just gives me errors and ignores them for the footage it can import.

Doesn’t appear to be a way of directly importing to Lumafusion either. Only via a third party cloud or hard drive cloud service.

Here is my personal suggestions:

If you want to  connect osmopocket as a massive storage device.

U need this: https://www.apple.com/shop/produ ... -usb-camera-adapter this thing connected with  type-c cable (the charging table).

I am not sure whether it can import 4k60 into device. I shall do some tests and post a video if succeed.
2018-12-14
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-ytao Posted at 12-14 09:14
Here is my personal suggestions:

If you want to  connect osmopocket as a massive storage device.

I have the new iPad Pro with usb-c. Plugging the Osmo into the iPad with a cable does appear as a device in photos but will not import 4k60p at all.

It will not show in LumaFusion either unless I’m missing something in the LumaFusion import settings.
2018-12-14
Use props
fansd8cc4f88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 166289 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI-ytao Posted at 12-13 07:59
The thing is that our 4k60 video has a bitrate of 100Mbps.

apple device feels the bitrate is too large for its gallery.
That’s not the case as the Osmo Pocket is shooting 4K 30 at a bitrate of 100Mbit as well (same for mavic aur at 4k 30). Furthermore gopro Hero 7 is shooting 4K60 at 100mbit without issues as they use H.265... Would love to see an update as a lot of users will be editing on ios devices.
2018-12-14
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI claims it's a limitation of APPLE to import 4K60 however you can import other cameras with this format so I don't think it's Apple.
2018-12-15
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BrianKushner Posted at 12-15 13:12
DJI claims it's a limitation of APPLE to import 4K60 however you can import other cameras with this format so I don't think it's Apple.

Shall we run a book on if this will EVER get sorted?
2018-12-16
Use props
Vermifuge
lvl.3
United States

Satureyes Posted at 12-16 14:25
Shall we run a book on if this will EVER get sorted?

The iPhone/iPad supports 4k60 with the HEVC.  The Osmo pocket does not encode its videos with HEVC.  
2018-12-16
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Vermifuge Posted at 12-16 15:06
The iPhone/iPad supports 4k60 with the HEVC.  The Osmo pocket does not encode its videos with HEVC.

Ok.
So does the Panasonic GH5 also use this codec? What about the Sony A7r?

2018-12-16
Use props
Vermifuge
lvl.3
United States

Satureyes Posted at 12-16 16:11
Ok.
So does the Panasonic GH5 also use this codec? What about the Sony A7r?

The  Panasonic GH5 does HEVC H.265, I'm not are about the Sony.
2018-12-16
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Vermifuge Posted at 12-16 16:38
The  Panasonic GH5 does HEVC H.265, I'm not are about the Sony.

At 4K 60p? Thought I’ve seen people importing to Lumafusion at higher frame and bit rates and different codec wrappers.
2018-12-16
Use props
Vermifuge
lvl.3
United States

Satureyes Posted at 12-16 17:02
At 4K 60p? Thought I’ve seen people importing to Lumafusion at higher frame and bit rates and different codec wrappers.

Are you using Lumafusion to import from the Osmo?
2018-12-16
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Vermifuge Posted at 12-16 17:10
Are you using Lumafusion to import from the Osmo?

I’d love to be but the iPad doesn’t see the Osmo at all unless I go via the photos app.

I can import the 4k60p clips from the Osmo if I go via a MyPassport wireless pro hard drive. However the clip gives me a ‘warning’ it might not play properly because of the format etc.
2018-12-16
Use props
jamesba
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1736188 ft
Australia

DJI-ytao Posted at 12-13 03:54

Work harder.

This is the biggest balls up of the year.
2018-12-17
Use props
fansc884d740
lvl.1

Switzerland

jamesba Posted at 12-17 02:36
Work harder.

This is the biggest balls up of the year.

So what is the purpose of filming at this quality and framerate if the target market and devices cannot support it... this freaking sucks, I just filmed some family reunion and wanted to share it, oh surprise this crap cannot import it!! At least put a freaking warning before allowing to film....
2018-12-24
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansc884d740 Posted at 12-24 12:04
So what is the purpose of filming at this quality and framerate if the target market and devices cannot support it... this freaking sucks, I just filmed some family reunion and wanted to share it, oh surprise this crap cannot import it!! At least put a freaking warning before allowing to film....

Just happened to me did a shoot for a spin class. Spent 2 hours putting it together. Went to download and said it does not support. This was in the Mimo app. So what is the point in having 4K.I now have to reshoot. Would have done better using my iPhone.Very upset.Fell I wasted my money buying the Osmo Pocket.
2018-12-24
Use props
Scott.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 294006 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This needs to be sorted in the next firmware release! A device which is marketed to be used with a mobile device and unable to use the footage is crazy!
2018-12-25
Use props
rlphoto
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Satureyes Posted at 12-13 03:52
I've had a quick scan of the web - I've seen people editing 4k 60 footage on their iPads. I have the very latest iPad Pro so it's not a processor thing.

Having exact same issues as you. If you find a fix, sure would appreciate you sharing. Have a fairly new IPad Pro.
2018-12-25
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rlphoto Posted at 12-25 04:59
Having exact same issues as you. If you find a fix, sure would appreciate you sharing. Have a fairly new IPad Pro.

The only fix - which isn't a fix - is to import the footage to an external drive that can connect to LumaFusion - or upload them somewhere like google drive (that can be seen by Luma) then import them from there via Luma.
I have a WD my passport wireless pro and it can import the OP at 4k60 into the hard drive via the USB or SD card reader - then connect the drive to the iPad and Luma can see the files.

It will import them - BUT it will warn you that they might not playback properly.

2018-12-25
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rlphoto Posted at 12-25 04:59

The only fix - which isn't a fix - is to import the footage to an external drive that can connect to LumaFusion - or upload them somewhere like google drive (that can be seen by Luma) then import them from there via Luma.
I have a WD my passport wireless pro and it can import the OP at 4k60 into the hard drive via the USB or SD card reader - then connect the drive to the iPad and Luma can see the files.

It will import them - BUT it will warn you that they might not playback properly.
2018-12-25
Use props
rlphoto
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Satureyes Posted at 12-25 05:35
The only fix - which isn't a fix - is to import the footage to an external drive that can connect to LumaFusion - or upload them somewhere like google drive (that can be seen by Luma) then import them from there via Luma.

Thankyou for your help
2018-12-25
Use props
Webcruise
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

So, the only solution is that the Osmo Pocket suports H265 HEVC.

2018-12-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules