Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone laws in Spain/Portugal?
4278 13 2018-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rikk08
Captain
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

Has anyone been flying in Spain and/or Portugal lately? I will be visiting 2 major cities next year for 2 weeks each (Porto and Madrid mainly) and I'm wondering what it is like flying in the cities and if need to obtain a permit or not?

Of course I will abide by all the laws (120m max flight, line of sight and no flying over crowds) but I want to know more.

Thanks.
2018-12-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi rikk08, thank you for bringing this query to us. I understand that you will be visiting Spain and or Portugal in the future. For more detailed information kindly visit this link . After selecting the country you wish to search, scroll to the part and that says Local Regulations, it will open up a new tab and you will see some information with regards with local policies you may need to know. Please see attached photo for your reference. Hope this helps. Fly safely! Cheers!

2018-12-13
Use props
Alex B.
Captain
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Download icarusRPA app, it tells you all the no fly zones in Spain and Portugal, super useful!
I think that Madrid is a no fly zone

Flysafely
Alex
2018-12-13
Use props
Alex B.
Captain

Spain

I just checked, yes the whole of Madrid is a nofly zone.
But Porto on the other hand is ok to fly according to IcarusRPA

Flysafely
Alex
2018-12-13
Use props
rikk08
Captain
  • >>>
Malta

Alex B. Posted at 12-13 09:29
I just checked, yes the whole of Madrid is a nofly zone.
But Porto on the other hand is ok to fly according to IcarusRPA

Thank you for checking, appreciate it

Was hoping to hear from someone who lives there or has been there recently but I might apply for a permit to be on the safe side!

Thank you
2018-12-14
Use props
Alex B.
Captain

Spain

You are welcome.
Well, I live in Barcelona
Have fun here in Spain and Portugal!

Flysafely
Alex
2018-12-14
Use props
rikk08
Captain
  • >>>
Malta

Alex B. Posted at 12-14 09:47
You are welcome.
Well, I live in Barcelona
Have fun here in Spain and Portugal!

That's a beautiful city I've been there several years ago!

Thank you, maybe not in Spain but in Portugal for sure
2018-12-14
Use props
alexsavin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 373661 ft
United Kingdom

Anyone had any luck registering with Portugal AAN? From Portugal drone code:

"Do not take aerial photography and filming without first contacting the National Aeronautical Authority - Air Force"

You can fly your drone in Portugal by obeying the local drone code, but you are not allowed to take any pictures without an authorization from AAN. Anyone had success in getting this authorization recently? They've introduced a new online portal for that, however I'm having troubles registering my DJI Mavic on that portal
2019-3-3
Use props
mazevedo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3100 ft
Portugal

Two close countries but big changes in rules.
2019-5-28
Use props
MagicRide
First Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

I maybe going to Spain and visit Toledo this summer, I wonder if I can fly around a bit, of course away from the crowds and buildings and get and outside view of the city with my zoom.
2019-5-28
Use props
awestruckwander
New
United States

I just got back from Portugal and had a great time flying my Mavic Air. It was difficult to find information online regarding regulations and necessary applications, so after a lot of my own research I wrote a blog here: Comprehensive Guide to Drone Regulations in Portugal (https://www.awestruckwander.com/blog/comprehensive-guide-to-drone-regulations-in-portugal). It was actually a pretty straight-forward process once I knew what to do. Hope it helps, and let me know if you have questions that I can help answer! Flying in the Algarve was amazing!
2019-6-2
Use props
USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702)
First Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

rikk08 Posted at 2018-12-14 04:07
Thank you for checking, appreciate it

Was hoping to hear from someone who lives there or has been there recently but I might apply for a permit to be on the safe side!

Hi. Was just there a couple months ago.  Technically Porto is within a heliport zone but their regulation says you can fly (without contacting ATC) so long as you fly within 75m of your drone (and no greater than 120m AGL.  The main bridge is a huge potential issue with signal interference though so beware.  Also no video or pic are technically allowed.  ALSO....(    ) a tourist heli flies right down the river several times each day...and is well below 400'. So safely I'd say Porto is a no unless you stay very low.  Lots of space in rest of Portugal to drone though.   
2019-6-2
Use props
USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702)
First Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Rikk088.  Was planning on going to Malta in a few weeks.  Malta's interesting...it's the only place in the world I believe where they do allow drone flights AND it is ALL controlled airspace.  
2019-6-2
Use props
CyberCrime
lvl.1

Bulgaria

If you want to flying in malta you can see Malta drone laws here : https://earthofdrones.com/latest-drone-regulations-in-malta/
2020-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules