10306 16 2018-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skumkaninen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 90837 ft
Denmark

Hi all,

Just got my Osmo pocket and it works fine - one problem though is that my computer is unable to playback the MOV files it creates 4k/60 - without stuttering. My pc is able to handle footage from Sony A7 III in 4k and Mavic Air 4k with no problems. It seems as if the codec is very demaing for some reason. I have tried with VLC and the build in windows 10 video player, same problem.

I run all files from NVME storage - Ryzen 2700 - 32gb ram - GTX780ti

Anybody else sees this problem with the mov files?
2018-12-13
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

A7 and Mavic Air only do 4K@30. Did you try some 4K@30 Footage from the OP and have you tried switching to recording in MP4 (seems to work better on older system),
2018-12-13
Use props
skumkaninen
lvl.1
Denmark

Wiz33 Posted at 12-13 11:39
A7 and Mavic Air only do 4K@30. Did you try some 4K@30 Footage from the OP and have you tried switching to recording in MP4 (seems to work better on older system),

:-) the framerate should not make it harder to process, that is the bitrate witch is 100Mbit on all of them. And the system is not older - ok the GPU is not brand new, but the rest is :-)

4k/60 or 4k/30 same problem - and as i mentioned DJI mov file 4k/30 from mavic air, no problems. So something is new with this Pocket codec.
2018-12-13
Use props
skumkaninen
lvl.1
Denmark

skumkaninen Posted at 12-13 11:46
:-) the framerate should not make it harder to process, that is the bitrate witch is 100Mbit on all of them. And the system is not older - ok the GPU is not brand new, but the rest is :-)

4k/60 or 4k/30 same problem - and as i mentioned DJI mov file 4k/30 from mavic air, no problems. So something is new with this Pocket codec.

Here are both codec's - I dont know enough to say why this causes problems. If anybody else have a Osmo Pocket?  One codec is Mavic air, the other Osmo Pocket (the one with audio stream)
2018-12-13
Use props
Ian Abasolo
lvl.2
United States

skumkaninen Posted at 12-13 12:35
[view_image][view_image]

Here are both codec's - I dont know enough to say why this causes problems. If anybody else have a Osmo Pocket?  One codec is Mavic air, the other Osmo Pocket (the one with audio stream)

I was having the same problem, 4K playback from Osmo Pocket was jittery and lots of tearing. My computer can playback 4k60p from my iPhoneX and 4K video from Canon 5D4 Just fine.

During playback of the Osmo Pocket 4K footage, GPU utilization gets pegged a lot. My system is running GTX 680, i7-3939k, 32GB Ram.

Fixed: if I disable hardware acceleration in VLC under Input/Codecs, the Osmo Pocket 4K playback is smooth and GPU doesn’t get pegged.  However, other 4K video from iPhoneX and Canon 5D4 are totally unplayable.  I suspect the codec used by Osmo Pocket isn’t compatible with Nvidia’s hardware acceleration. My system needs HW acceleration to play my other 4K files.

I hope DJI makes adjustments to the codec. Otherwise, I will be forced to return the Osmo Pocket

2018-12-20
Use props
Holga
lvl.2

United States

I also have this issue. I am recording in MP4.  I have no issue with Lumix 4K videos. With the help of this thread , I'm using MPC-HC  player as solution at the moment. They talk about tearing/lag/stutter issue here as well.
2018-12-20
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

The difference between the 4k30p and 4k60p appears to be the profile used for AVC - High@5.1 for 30p and High@5.2 for 60p. This was covered in another thread where i found the same using MediaInfo to inspect them. I wonder if DJI have not optimised the settings for their 5.2 profile outputs and this is causing undue stress when trying to decode it?
2018-12-21
Use props
NoëI
lvl.4

Netherlands

I had the same problem. I'm now using .wav and all is working fine.
2018-12-21
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

NoëI Posted at 12-21 00:56
I had the same problem. I'm now using .wav and all is working fine.

Did you reencode it to WAV? I saw someone mention they re-encoded the DJI H264 into another H264 and it worked on their iPad, but I didn't get the details of if they changed the bitrate or anything significant or if they just put it out into H264 just with more compatible options.

I might try tonight and see what my Mac and iPhone can handle and re-encode it with Handbrake and see if that fixes it. If we can see the difference between the profile options we might be able to get DJI to change their default encoding to something more globally acceptable.
2018-12-21
Use props
NoëI
lvl.4

Netherlands

Did you reencode it to WAV? I saw someone mention they re-encoded the DJI H264 into another H264 and it worked on their iPad, but I didn't get the details of if they changed the bitrate or anything significant or if they just put it out into H264 just with more compatible options.

My error. .wav should have been .mov in my previous post :-/
So the post above shoud have read

I had the same problem. I'm now using .mov and all is working fine.

I've set this in the memo app.
2018-12-21
Use props
skumkaninen
lvl.1
Denmark

NoëI Posted at 12-21 07:18
My error. .wav should have been .mov in my previous post :-/
So the post above shoud have read

I am wondering if it can be a SD card problem for me instead, as no computer/mac is able to play the 4k movies my osmo records. Its a U3 Samsung 128GB EVO card.
2018-12-22
Use props
Ian Abasolo
lvl.2
United States

skumkaninen Posted at 12-22 10:57
I am wondering if it can be a SD card problem for me instead, as no computer/mac is able to play the 4k movies my osmo records. Its a U3 Samsung 128GB EVO card.

Do you happen to use NVIDIA GTX graphics card? Try disable hardware acceleration on the video player you're using.  It's the only way for me to play any 4k footage from OP on my computer.  It's probably something in the 4k codec isn't playing well with my GPU.
2018-12-22
Use props
DanielVieira
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

I have the same problem with Osmo Pocket, only in Premiere i can playback the file without any problem...

Also i have a Mavic 2 Pro and i have no problems with h265 codec playback.
2018-12-22
Use props
skumkaninen
lvl.1
Denmark

Ian Abasolo Posted at 12-22 13:26
Do you happen to use NVIDIA GTX graphics card? Try disable hardware acceleration on the video player you're using.  It's the only way for me to play any 4k footage from OP on my computer.  It's probably something in the 4k codec isn't playing well with my GPU.

You are absolutely correct - Nvidia GTX card - disabled hardware accl in VLC and not everything is smooth.. Driver problem?
2018-12-25
Use props
Serdar Gorumlu
New

United States

I figured it out. this is what you are gonna do with vlc player.

open the file. don't run it. click  Tools > Preferences. Click input / codecs tab. check Fast seek.

Then it is working
2019-6-10
Use props
Osman Dilber
New

Turkey

Serdar Gorumlu Posted at 6-10 13:34
I figured it out. this is what you are gonna do with vlc player.

open the file. don't run it. click  Tools > Preferences. Click input / codecs tab. check Fast seek.

Serdar bey sorunu tam olarak nasıl çözdünüz? Encoder yapmadan yada ara render almadan videoyu oynatamıyoruz .deli gibi kasıyor
2019-8-2
Use props
djiuser_6Wap2PNkGBkx
New

United States

Has anyone found a solution for this without having to disable hardware playback?  I just got my DJI Osmo Action today and it has the same issue playing back 60fps or higher footage on my i7 Haswell with Nvidia GTX 770, but no issues playing back on my Surface laptop.  
2021-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules