GoPro on Ronin S
11703 11 2018-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
yellow
lvl.1

Germany

Hi guys,

I almost feel a bit strange to ask this - what about using a GoPro on the Ronin S? I do use a DSLR for some tasks, but honestly its just to heavy and tedious to set up for many things. Might use it a bit more if I'd get the Ronin S though - definitely if there is an update / workaround to use it with a 8mm fisheye for automatic, bracketed spherical 360x180 panoramas. But that is another thing.

I'm using a GoPro 6 Black for some tasks, action takes and quick takes, did use the Karma Grip some time ago too.

Why there is not a single Google search result dealing with this topic? At least couldnt find any, thats why Im posting here now.

1. Is it too light? Well, could add some weight to it then..

2. Is it just stupid? Then it might be me

Is there any other reason why??

(Then refer to 2. please)

Any insight will be appreciated!

Y

2018-12-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We do understand that you've wanted to use the GoPro camera to our Ronin - S, however, I'm afraid that our team hasn't been able to test if this could be possibly used. Having said that, the GoPro cameras are not yet compatible with our Ronin -S as of the moment. Please pay attention to our website for further updates. Thank you for understanding.
2018-12-13
Use props
yellow
lvl.1

Germany

DJI Tony Posted at 12-13 15:14
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We do understand that you've wanted to use the GoPro camera to our Ronin - S, however, I'm afraid that our team hasn't been able to test if this could be possibly used. Having said that, the GoPro cameras are not yet compatible with our Ronin -S as of the moment. Please pay attention to our website for further updates. Thank you for understanding.

Hi Tony,

thanks for your quick response. I did ckeck the compatibility list along with the other specifications. My Nikon can be triggered at least start/stop and depending on the lens maybe focus. Good. I dont know yet if the Ronin app can extend those functions over manual triggering at the grip, eg.interval triggering for timelapse.

But for the GoPro I could still start record commonly at the GoPro itself (or voice control / GoPro app control) and use the gimbal funcionality?

Mainly axis stabilization, timelapse movement, tilting and fancy stuff like roll?

That would totally be sufficient - if there was some GoPro direct control through app coming, even greater.

So, anyways, GoPro COULD be used on the Ronin S?

Thanks again,
Y
2018-12-13
Use props
FlySD
lvl.4
United States

You could probably get a used GoPro gimbal for very cheap and it would do everything you wanted.  Ronin S with a GoPro is definitely over kill.
2018-12-14
Use props
yellow
lvl.1

Germany

FlySD Posted at 12-14 08:20
You could probably get a used GoPro gimbal for very cheap and it would do everything you wanted.  Ronin S with a GoPro is definitely over kill.

Absolutely - but I'm not only looking for image stabilization (would get a Karma Grip then) but for additional features of the Ronin App.

And I do own a DSLR with couple of lenses which would be nice to use for filming too, like fixed lenght lenses with low aperture - or the use of a 8mm fisheye for spherical panorama.

So there is a use for the DSLR, but if I can use it properly for the GoPro too I'd be happy. ;)

Still dont know IF I can use it or not
2018-12-14
Use props
FlySD
lvl.4
United States

I would say I wouldn't hold my breath for any GoPro collab as there isn't much love between the two companies.  With that said, I am sure you can get it balanced, with a GoPro mount that adds a bit of weight to it.

If you want similar features, I might look more at the Osmo and GoPro, there are lots of articles on mounting GoPro to Osmo.
2018-12-14
Use props
yellow
lvl.1

Germany

FlySD Posted at 12-14 12:12
I would say I wouldn't hold my breath for any GoPro collab as there isn't much love between the two companies.  With that said, I am sure you can get it balanced, with a GoPro mount that adds a bit of weight to it.

If you want similar features, I might look more at the Osmo and GoPro, there are lots of articles on mounting GoPro to Osmo.

Yes, thanks for your opinion.

Im guessing the same, probably not much  connectivity to expect from that combo. As long as I can start record at the Gopro itself and do some fancy stuff, beside having a good stabillized video, Im happy.

Guess I would / will still go with the Ronin S as the multifunctionality with DSLRs will be better. Osmo would be limited. And for sure I wont be starting filming with a mobile

As there is this special offer until new years I guess I go for it.

And as I see in your specs, going for the Mavic 2 soon as well. Its time.

Thanks again
Niko
2018-12-14
Use props
FlySD
lvl.4
United States

yellow Posted at 12-14 13:23
Yes, thanks for your opinion.

Im guessing the same, probably not much  connectivity to expect from that combo. As long as I can start record at the Gopro itself and do some fancy stuff, beside having a good stabillized video, Im happy.

I didn't mean an Osmo with a phone, I meant something more like this:

2018-12-19
Use props
wideopen
lvl.1
United States

Why don' you try to  mount a GoPro to it and find out if it works? I suspect the trickiest part may be balancing it since the arms are all setup for a camera with more weight. They may not move far enough in a direction to get it balanced...
2018-12-19
Use props
yellow
lvl.1

Germany

@FlySD:  Yes, that was a bit misunderstandable joke of mine. I still would like to be able to use the gimbal for DSLR purpose too.

@wideopen: Thats exactly the point. Controlling the GoPro (start / stop) would be nice but could be solved otherwise, but weight might be a problem. Still could 3D print some suitable weight holders.

Yes, I guess Ill go and order one and see if I can use it properly.

Ill post the results here after ;)
2018-12-27
Use props
Drekko
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62365 ft
Australia

I found this thread because I was after the same info. Id buy a Ronin if I could also use it with an actio camera (just the motor stablisation is enough) this way I can carry just one stablisation gimbal around with me instead of 2
Maybe we. Need to ask if it supports the osmo action now that they've made that
2019-6-6
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The ronin s fitted with just a go pro is overkill, that said I fit my gopro to my cameras flash hotshoe  for added stabilization. Works great.
2019-6-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules