A little confused about DJI response to my damaged P4P v2
2536 17 2018-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anthony8858
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9711 ft
United States

Last week I started a thread about my drone that suddenly took off on its own.
I opened a ticket and sent the drone in for evaluation.

The flight log clearly showed an IMU issue, yet DJI absolutely ignored the flight log and tried to tell me I accelerated the drone and caused the mishap.
No mention of the obvious IMU issue>Flight log:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/1OPBYHXWWZJ1X6HNIW6F/

They sent me a bill for 162.00, and thats that.

This is Ken from Technical Support team, and I will be assisting you on this case from now on for related inquiries about data analysis.

Here's the result of the data analysis on your case number: CAS-XXXXXx

1. Unit was in P-GPS mode and was responsive to RC input.   
2. At t=237s, relative height=-2.9m (unit began flight from an elevated position), user commanded full throttle up and yaw left.
3. At t=238s unit recorded impact in air.
Incident date: 2018-12-06
Incident GPS location: 40.5141121 -74.2052227

According to the analysis, the the incident was not caused by any product malfunction.

We can still proceed with the repair, however, you will cover the repair charges.

Your understanding and and cooperation will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Ken

2018-12-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just reply with a counter stating what you know re flight log, explain why you think the ac is at fault that lead to the crash in the 1st place, now,  is there any point, not sure, it can take many many exchanges to get what your want from what ive heard on here, it would take a lot longer to get it back, either way, it will prob be a refurbed unit so, if you can wait then fire back, if not, cough up the doh re me, its not that bad to be honest, luckily it wasnt the camera
2018-12-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It might be easier to comment if you post the flight data from the incident.
The flight log you've posted does not match the incident described.
It only lasts 32 seconds (DJI refer to an impact at 237 seconds), you hardly touched the joysticks in that time and there's no hint of a problem with the IMU.
2018-12-13
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Unfortunately I'd just pay the repair bill and enjoy flying your new refurbed drone well away from home in an open space. Call it DJI Care After.

See what happened to this poor chap , he gets a similar bill and a new drone...

2018-12-13
Use props
Anthony8858
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-13 22:53
It only lasts 32 seconds (DJI refer to an impact at 237 seconds), you hardly touched the joysticks in that time and there's no hint of a problem with the IMU.

That was the only flight data from that day..
My concern is no mention of the IMU reading from this flight, when it's obvious something wasn't right

FWIW, I just paid the lousy 162.00 and I'm hoping for the best..
I've read a few horror stories about replacements and / or repair.

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 6.52.21 AM.png
2018-12-14
Use props
Michael Kemper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1709583 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anthony8858 Posted at 12-14 03:08
That was the only flight data from that day..
My concern is no mention of the IMU reading from this flight, when it's obvious something wasn't right

I've sent 2 or 3 drones in for repair. Every time they've just ended up sending a new one. Hopefully the same for you.
2018-12-14
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-13 22:53
It only lasts 32 seconds (DJI refer to an impact at 237 seconds), you hardly touched the joysticks in that time and there's no hint of a problem with the IMU.

Good catch,  Labroides.
2018-12-14
Use props
Jclark5101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 189843 ft
United States

Aerial-Image Posted at 12-13 22:56
Unfortunately I'd just pay the repair bill and enjoy flying your new refurbed drone well away from home in an open space. Call it DJI Care After.

2018-12-14
Use props
Anthony8858
lvl.4
United States

Michael Kemper Posted at 12-14 04:16
I've sent 2 or 3 drones in for repair. Every time they've just ended up sending a new one. Hopefully the same for you.

Just received a email stating the repair was completed...

I decided to place a phone call and follow up..

The rep tells me that the AC is being replaced and will ship next couple days..
So here's my question:
Why the heck did I pay for an itemized list of repairs and service charges, when they just simply replaced the AC?
Should I call this a 162 dollar exchange fee?
2018-12-14
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Anthony8858 Posted at 12-14 10:48
Just received a email stating the repair was completed...

I decided to place a phone call and follow up..

The repairs still have to be made ... and you are getting basically a refurb machine - which means EVERYTHING should be good.
DJI will have your old on shelf ... so do they pay the repairs while you enjoy a refurb ?

The only time I can agree with your stand of not paying - is if its a warranty replacement. Sorry to be blunt ... but its not a warranty job as far as they are concerned.

Nigel
2018-12-14
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Aerial-Image Posted at 12-13 22:56

Suggest you check the later posts on that ... he hit wires above the cars ... it was not as first suspected - a drone failure.

Nigel
Note - this post refers to Post #4 above where the guy highlights a P4 falling out of the sky.
2018-12-14
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

The flight log clearly showed an IMU issue, yet DJI absolutely ignored the flight log and tried to tell me I accelerated the drone and caused the mishap.....

Where did you see the IMU issue ... warning ? DJI interrogate the internal SD card memory which carries more data than the log you have on your phone / removable card ... so how would they miss any IMU fault ? The Internal card would clearly tell them if there was one.

Nigel
2018-12-14
Use props
Anthony8858
lvl.4
United States

solentlife Posted at 12-14 11:01
Suggest you check the later posts on that ... he hit wires above the cars ... it was not as first suspected - a drone failure.

Nigel

You have me terribly mistaken for another case...
There are no wires, and I have no idea what you're referring to.
2018-12-14
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Anthony8858 Posted at 12-14 11:06
You have me terribly mistaken for another case...
There are no wires, and I have no idea what you're referring to.

I was referring to the other guy (post #4) who posted the videos after your post ... where the guy had his new P4 fall out of the sky ...

If you had read the quote - you would see it was not directed at you.

Nigel
2018-12-14
Use props
Anthony8858
lvl.4
United States

solentlife Posted at 12-14 11:27
I was referring to the other guy (post #4) who posted the videos after your post ... where the guy had his new P4 fall out of the sky ...

If you had read the quote - you would see it was not directed at you.

My apology..
I watched the first video , but didn't see the second video until now.

DJI practice of evaluating the damage, charging the service fee and repair cost and simply replacing the drone with a refurb is their somewhat standard practice.
Not too bad
2018-12-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Anthony8858 Posted at 12-14 11:46
My apology..
I watched the first video , but didn't see the second video until now.

Hi Anthony, sorry for the crash accident, I managed to get your case number, the data analysis shows the drone impacted in the air after user commanded full throttle up and yaw left.
The quotation is about the damaged parts, but components presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished goods of the same type rather than being repaired, the service fee includes the whole process instead just the repair cost, appreciate your understanding.
The aircraft and gimbal have been replaced and it will be shipped out soon, please note the email notification, hope you will receive it soon.
2018-12-15
Use props
Anthony8858
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-15 00:41
Hi Anthony, sorry for the crash accident, I managed to get your case number, the data analysis shows the drone impacted in the air after user commanded full throttle up and yaw left.
The quotation is about the damaged parts, but components presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished goods of the same type rather than being repaired, the service fee includes the whole process instead just the repair cost, appreciate your understanding.
The aircraft and gimbal have been replaced and it will be shipped out soon, please note the email notification, hope you will receive it soon.

Thank you for the update. I truly appreciate it.
I'm happy that this is resolved and I have a better understanding.

2018-12-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Anthony8858 Posted at 12-15 07:24
Thank you for the update. I truly appreciate it.
I'm happy that this is resolved and I have a better understanding.

You are welcome. If there is anything else we can help, feel free to contact us. Wish you receive the package soon.
2018-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules