2977 28 2018-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CineView Media
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

First of all, i love the design and formfactor, tiny pocket sized thing that you can bring with you everywhere, but once the picture quality and performance ruins the experience, i feel it loses its purpose.

Some of the things im disappointed with is, AF, most of the shots are out of focus, or the focal point is out of bounce, but i doubt it, since it hits the spot now and then.
The holding performance in roll axis is almost useless. When driving the car in 50-70 kph even at almost straight roads, it tends to wanna roll out of the horizon until gimbal reaches its limits (yes its been calibrated)
The picture quality on the old Osmo is allot better, and considering its almost the same price, its disapointing.
The charge port should not have been placed at the bottom, cause then you cant charge or power it during TL/ML.
Not to mention there isnt currently one single accessory available for it.

At the moment, i feel the Osmo Mobile would be a better solution, cause youll have a better camera available, considering you have decent smartphone.
This time i think the size compromised the picture quality.
Maybe its something wrong with my unit, but i doubt it.

Im seriously considering keeping my old Osmo.

Would love to hear from others that had the chance to test it like ive done so far

Some examples:
Poor focus
Horizon drifts off on a straight road, even after trying to recenter the gimbal
AF strugles

2018-12-14
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Just have to add, yes it doesnt cost a fortune, but with todays available tech, i expected more...
2018-12-14
Use props
Rogue0ne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30322 ft
United Kingdom

I think you have a faulty unit. Tried mine in the car yesterday and it was perfect. Also, the firmware update addressed the focus issue.
2018-12-14
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Rogue0ne Posted at 12-14 04:37
I think you have a faulty unit. Tried mine in the car yesterday and it was perfect. Also, the firmware update addressed the focus issue.

Well, the fw update didnt fix mine...
2018-12-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

CineView Media Posted at 12-14 04:22
Just have to add, yes it doesnt cost a fortune, but with todays available tech, i expected more...

I know I paid €700 for my Osmo with accessories €1000, so price comparison not right.
With orignal Osmo using with car accessorie at 70kph also a problem.

Don’t know if you have tried manual mode, be interesting to know how it’s working, since new FW update I have seen some very good reviews , so could you have a bad unit, unlikely but you never know.
2018-12-14
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

hallmark007 Posted at 12-14 05:08
I know I paid €700 for my Osmo with accessories €1000, so price comparison not right.
With orignal Osmo using with car accessorie at 70kph also a problem.

Yea, cost a little more, but still.
Tried all the modes now.
The issues are not easily detected, unless youre aware of them, or are a perfectionist like myself trough my daily work.
With this wide angle lens, the focus should be fixed instead of an inaccurate chasing AF
2018-12-14
Use props
Adam9997
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2608901 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for your opinion. I haven't tested long enough to notice the focus issues, but agree that the power port placement is pretty bad. I'm going to 3D print a base extender for long timelapses.
2018-12-14
Use props
Adam9997
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Adam9997 Posted at 12-14 06:22
Thanks for your opinion. I haven't tested long enough to notice the focus issues, but agree that the power port placement is pretty bad. I'm going to 3D print a base extender for long timelapses.

Looks like someone beat me to it....
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3251751

2018-12-14
Use props
DanielVieira
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Adam9997 Posted at 12-14 07:22
[view_image]
Looks like someone beat me to it....
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3251751

Nice finding! THanks
2018-12-14
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

I thought the AF is great, shot this video through a plane's window during taxi and takeoff at night. I have more video to upload but this is the only one I mange to upload during transit and I'm currently 27000' up in the air.

2018-12-14
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Wiz33 Posted at 12-14 09:15
I thought the AF is great, shot this video through a plane's window during taxi and takeoff at night. I have more video to upload but this is the only one I mange to upload during transit and I'm currently 27000' up in the air.

Did you ever watch this on a large monitor? Its not very sharp if you look a bit closer... and once youre in air, everything is out of focus ;)
2018-12-14
Use props
Tautvilas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145709 ft
Lithuania

CineView Media Posted at 12-14 09:28
Did you ever watch this on a large monitor? Its not very sharp if you look a bit closer... and once youre in air, everything is out of focus ;)

and whats that jello effect?
2018-12-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Curious how others experience this.
2018-12-14
Use props
Adam9997
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You're welcome. Turned out well. Good fit, will do just fine

2018-12-14
Use props
NorthTexasAerials
lvl.2
United States

I'm going to wait a bit and see how this develops. There are definitely flaws, but I also think this thing has a lot of potential.

Look on YouTube for "DJI Pocket Osmo Aerial Photography Tests - Sunset over Wichita Falls, Texas" and I'll be posting some more videos from in-flight use over the next week.
2018-12-14
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Yea, but considering that it full night and through 2 layers of reflective glass in the window. I thought it was doing a pretty good job. I have an in cabin clip and the LAX lounge clip up now and you can take a look at those.
2018-12-14
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

NorthTexasAerials Posted at 12-14 23:03
I'm going to wait a bit and see how this develops. There are definitely flaws, but I also think this thing has a lot of potential.

Look on YouTube for "DJI Pocket Osmo Aerial Photography Tests - Sunset over Wichita Falls, Texas" and I'll be posting some more videos from in-flight use over the next week.

Everything has its place. This time i think they sacrificied too much quality for the size.
Even 10-20% larger would have made it small enough.
I feel it comes to a point where the argument «but its so cheap» is not valid anymore, maybe 2 years ago, but not in 2018.
They managed to squeeze out allot of great performance in the Mavic 2. Therefore i expected performance close to that, even without propellers.
The bar of expectations is getting pretty high now with all the new technology, even with the cheapest stuff.
Ill stick to my old Ronin-S and Ronin 2, plus GP6 with the Karma grip for tight and lightweigt action scenes
2018-12-15
Use props
Webcruise
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

CineView Media Posted at 12-14 09:28
Did you ever watch this on a large monitor? Its not very sharp if you look a bit closer... and once youre in air, everything is out of focus ;)

I think that in this situation every camera would have had issues. For having a window filming through, filming at night, having the window frame in the composition and in movement is the most difficult task a camera can have.

The result is not really bad in that case. There are many more cases with perfect conditions were auto focus is strugeling getting objects in focus.
2018-12-15
Use props
jamesba
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1736188 ft
Australia

I thought the AF is great, shot this video through a plane's window during taxi and takeoff at night. I have more video to upload but this is the only one I mange to upload during transit and I'm currently 27000' up in the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qbPdZ19Qkk&t=32s

I think you need your eyes checked.   Most of that video you posted is indeed out of focus.
2018-12-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

jamesba Posted at 12-15 03:58
I think you need your eyes checked.   Most of that video you posted is indeed out of focus.

A lot depends on quality of video we are seeing here, first there is a very low res both here and YT you might think youruploading in 1080 p but YT and here on this site res is a lot lower than you think.

Somebody mentioned jello effect, it’s not jello effect it’s the quality of what your watching. I find it strange that so many you tubers are giving good reviews and those choosing to put up footage seem to get really good results. I think sometimes around here if footage or photos don’t look good it’s always the fault of the Camera. Cameras make files photographers make films and photography.
2018-12-15
Use props
NorthTexasAerials
lvl.2
United States

CineView Media Posted at 12-15 03:01
Everything has its place. This time i think they sacrificied too much quality for the size.
Even 10-20% larger would have made it small enough.
I feel it comes to a point where the argument «but its so cheap» is not valid anymore, maybe 2 years ago, but not in 2018.

Maybe. I do think it's possible that future firmware updates will solve most if not all of the problems.  For me the #1 issue right now is the roll drift with no way to correct it while filming.  It seems to me this is going to need a gimbal roll adjustment option like my Phantom has, OR some mode where it auto corrects to keep the horizon straight.
2018-12-15
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

NorthTexasAerials Posted at 12-15 05:54
Maybe. I do think it's possible that future firmware updates will solve most if not all of the problems.  For me the #1 issue right now is the roll drift with no way to correct it while filming.  It seems to me this is going to need a gimbal roll adjustment option like my Phantom has, OR some mode where it auto corrects to keep the horizon straight.

Yes, the roll drift is almost impossible to avoid when filming from a vehicle. Havent tried skiing, but would love to see an extended shot running down a slope with that, ive only seen some few seconds clip, even then the AF issue seemed to appear...
2018-12-15
Use props
NorthTexasAerials
lvl.2
United States

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChq7lB3whFz7k3YNyyrXhrw

Not sure if I can post this yet...

Looks like I can. The pitch axis is VERY smooth, very good, they just need to get the roll that way, too.
2018-12-15
Use props
Bj0rn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 166289 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

After firmware upgrade still issues with autofocus. Specially with active track it seems to bounce between focus and out of focus evere few seconds.
2018-12-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bj0rn Posted at 12-15 08:48
After firmware upgrade still issues with autofocus. Specially with active track it seems to bounce between focus and out of focus evere few seconds.

Do you mean jump from what you are focusing on to focusing on something else in frame, spent 2500 grand on a gh5 exactly the same thing, I’m sure that can be sorted .
2018-12-15
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

NorthTexasAerials Posted at 12-15 06:21
Aerial Video

Not sure if I can post this yet...

Roll axis will always be a problem with gimbals due to drifting in the gyros, or the pendlum effect, but i didnt expect it to be as bad as this one...
2018-12-15
Use props
supersigh
lvl.1
Canada

I thought the AF is great, shot this video through a plane's window during taxi and takeoff at night. I have more video to upload but this is the only one I mange to upload during transit and I'm currently 27000' up in the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qbPdZ19Qkk&t=32s

I came to the forum to post a video of my dozen or so hot pixels, and I can see atleast 3 in your video too, so I guess it's a common issue.  They're way too distracting and I'm returning my Pocket tomorrow.
2018-12-15
Use props
DanielVieira
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Adam9997 Posted at 12-14 19:25
You're welcome. Turned out well. Good fit, will do just fine
[view_image][view_image]

great stuff!! very nice!!
2018-12-16
Use props
FabioP
lvl.1
Flight distance : 145312 ft
Portugal

CineView Media, what about low light? Do you think it's the same or better than the original Osmo?
2018-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules