Another muppet ?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dale 68
Second Officer
Flight distance : 338468 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Another muppet here in the UK out to spoil it for others?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-46540592?fbclid=IwAR06WKIcPIisMD818aSDTyCimoHjyl9kdQYYlFTGIvuEY5ng3olZB2ABYu4

2018-12-15
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

The 'drone 'drone' was last seen at 10000 ft., and being a 'dark' object must have been an Obsidian musn't it. I must say I found this report somewhat lacking in details.
2018-12-15
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
Flight distance : 338468 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Here's the report
FB_IMG_1544889076954.jpg
2018-12-15
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

That is pretty high, are they not sure it wasn't just a black bin bag!
Some new planes have forward recording camera's?
2018-12-15
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

At 10,000ft ... just consider the speed of the 737 ... and that of the object ....

At best there would be a split second only visual, particularly of something so small and the viewer would have to be looking in correct direction to catch sight.

We have had reports of 'Drone near misses' not only in UK that later have been shown to be NOT Drones ...

The infamous bin bag caught in a thermal upcurrent ...

The reflected image as light caused an image on the glass ... this has also created some of the 'best' UFO claims !!

My question is : Why would anyone be flying a Multi-rotor model at 10,000ft in an area such as Stanstead ? What Multi-rotor model can get that high ? Would need a lot of battery to do it. Plus its not exactly the most beautiful of areas !!  And actually at 10,000ft ... the 737 is still quite a way out from Stanstead approaches ...

I have my doubts ...

Maybe it was Ryanair throwing out an unpaid bag from one of its flights !!   Guess who does not like Ryanair !

Nigel
2018-12-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The muppets are the airprox board members that never have any doubt that a reported drone was anything else but a drone.

There's never any consideration for the extremely low probability of a drone being encountered that high.
If they were still reporting UFOs they would all be flying saucers piloted by aliens from a galaxy far away to the airprox board.
2018-12-15
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Show me the dash cam footage!  Oop's, wrong vehicle.
2018-12-15
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487034 ft
United States

I read a message from the P4 owner that had the limits removed. He said at 6,200 ft. was all he cared to risk with the life of the P4's battery.  
2018-12-15
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

At 10,000ft - the apparent air density and lift coefficient of the props ? The amount of power needed to climb increases dramatically as height increases due to those two factors.

It would be interesting to see the follow-up report ... which I am sure will never be publicised or at least media will ignore as it has no sensational factor.

My Father who before he retired and passed away, was Chief Ops CAA in UK and was involved in formalising the AAIB (Air Accident Investigation Board) always remarked that most incidents reported are subsequently found to be ******* ....
Initial reports as he remarked are just that ...

Nigel
2018-12-16
Use props
Spacer2711
lvl.4
Flight distance : 821821 ft
Netherlands

I have seen a video from a Russian 'drone pilot' who has rescheduled the limitation to 2,500 meters. It was a P3SE. However, the battery determined the limit. It isn't possible with the available 25 minutes to reach such a high altitude and land safely.

2018-12-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Think about it .... the DJI Phantom series are relatively efficient in battery time compared to many other similar machines. Now take the horizontal distance you can fly before necessary to RTH to be able to land still with battery power ...
The WATTS required for that horizontal flight is less than needed for a vertical climb. Take also into account that as you ascend - the lift coefficient vs air density means the props must turn faster the higher she climbs ...

For a Drone to ascend to 10,000ft from what is only a bit above sea level in Essex - would take a lot of battery power to do it ... in fact a very large amount of !!  
I am not saying a DJI drone is the reported machine ... just using its performance as an example to illustrate the unlikelyhood of a drone at 10,000ft in Essex ..

Nigek
2018-12-16
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Youtube Mavic Pro at 3000m no data but video is certainly convincing enough''       ''   Mavic Pro 4654m with data
''       ''   Mavic Pro 4080m with data,  descent at 10m/s with 14% battery remaining
"       "   Phantom 2 at 3400m again, no data but video is convincing
"       "   Phantom 4 only at 1428m but had 8:30 mintues on battery left  
"       "   Phantom 4 pro 2417m with data but no battery time showing so i would say about  8-10mins when landed, he stopped at that height as he'd just broke through the clouds, i think that was his goal to get above the clouds, he also stayed at the height sight seeing for a short while which would have drained it some

What i am saying is, its not impossible for this to have been an Obsidian, 3000m is not out of the realms of a DJI, nor is it condoned hence ive not linked to the videos, just search phantom or dji or mavic and max or record altitude. Many have been removed from YT now. i cant find the one where the guy shut down the motors on his mavic pro so that he would have enough power to get back, think that was Russia.

EDIT
Found it, just search yt for DJI Mavic 5km Altitude to freefall world record
2018-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules