Osmo pocket USB-C to microphone adapter test!?
12Next >
12688 42 2018-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NoëI
lvl.4

Netherlands

Anyone here who's been abel to get an USB-C adapter to work with the Osmo pocket and an external mic?

I've got several USB-C microphone connector, but till now none worked (they work fine with my Android phone)
I guess more is needed than just an USB-C <> microphone to make it work :-(
Maybe a GoPro adapter will work? I've got none so I can not test it.
2018-12-15
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Havent got anything to work either
2018-12-15
Use props
lummox
lvl.4
United States

I'm also interested in this. I've even tried a Zoom H2N in Audio I/F mode, and a Steinberg UR22mkII audio interface, with no joy.
2018-12-15
Use props
lummox
lvl.4
United States

I bet a firmware update will unlock this feature, when it is readyand when they release their 3.5mm dongle.
2018-12-15
Use props
fans9f7a4420
lvl.1
Canada

No luck for me either using a third party USB-C Mic and Headphone adapter and dedicated USB mic with a USB to USB-C cable Hope an update makes this possible...
2018-12-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Sorry that we don't have yet an official external microphone that is compatible with our Osmo Pocket. Please pay attention to our website for further updates. Thank you for understanding.
2018-12-18
Use props
djiuser_bFCCfXWrOBXk
lvl.2
United States

Okay, according to this video the USB-C adapter from GoPro seems to support external mics. Not totally convinced though. Lol, can anyone else confirm before I waste $50 on the GoPro adapter?

2018-12-22
Use props
Vermifuge
lvl.3
United States

I'm curious if this is even working at all.  The Rode in this video sounds worse than the OP's internal microphone.  
2018-12-22
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 12-18 13:54
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Sorry that we don't have yet an official external microphone that is compatible with our Osmo Pocket. Please pay attention to our website for further updates. Thank you for understanding.

So we won't be able to use our existing mics?
2018-12-22
Use props
Vermifuge
lvl.3
United States

BrianKushner Posted at 12-22 12:43

I don't think they said that...  The firmware necessary probably won't be available until they have their own hardware.
2018-12-22
Use props
CruiseHabit
lvl.3
Flight distance : 93225 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is a bummer.  I'm about to order a Pocket and have an upcoming trip on a new ship (I have a site about cruising).  Am looking forward to showing it off, but without the ability to connect an external mic I'm very worried any audio on deck will be nothing but wind noise.  Not a great way to showcase the device :-/  Excited none the less.
2018-12-22
Use props
Vermifuge
lvl.3
United States

CruiseHabit Posted at 12-22 13:50
This is a bummer.  I'm about to order a Pocket and have an upcoming trip on a new ship (I have a site about cruising).  Am looking forward to showing it off, but without the ability to connect an external mic I'm very worried any audio on deck will be nothing but wind noise.  Not a great way to showcase the device :-/  Excited none the less.

Use a portable digital recorder like a Tascam.  If you need something really small get 1or 2 Instamics.
2018-12-22
Use props
C.Films
lvl.2
Canada

Hopefully the audio adapter releases soon. Though what I’d really want is for Rode to make a VideoMic Me for USB-C. That way you just connect the mic under the camera, and keep the setup small.
2018-12-22
Use props
CruiseHabit
lvl.3
Flight distance : 93225 ft
  • >>>
United States

Vermifuge Posted at 12-22 15:13
Use a portable digital recorder like a Tascam.  If you need something really small get 1or 2 Instamics.

I realize this is an option, but when constantly traveling and doing many short clips to later stitch together, the extra gear and added post-prod time becomes a bit much.  
2018-12-23
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

BrianKushner Posted at 12-22 12:43

Hi, thanks for your notification. I was able to get the information about this query and found out that you can achieve this with the DJI Osmo Pocket 3.5mm Adapter. Thank you for the support.
2018-12-24
Use props
David Harry
New

United Kingdom

djiuser_bFCCfXWrOBXk Posted at 12-22 10:20
Okay, according to this video the USB-C adapter from GoPro seems to support external mics. Not totally convinced though. Lol, can anyone else confirm before I waste $50 on the GoPro adapter?

https://youtu.be/aiHOSnUSGXw

This appears fake. If you listen on headphones you can hear that the audio is stereo. This is impossible as the microphone that's supposedly used is a mono microphone.

Plus. The GoPro interface has active electronic components that process audio and also supplies electret/plugin power for ECM based mics. This means that it's wiring and functionality is bespoke to GoPro devices. You also can't simply plug any other USB to audio cable/device into a GoPro.

Also others have tried this and it doesn't work.

I doubt very much that DJI will be conforming to standard wiring for USB to audio cables, as a smartphone would,  just like GoPro don't. Although and unlike the GoPro adaptor, it looks like the DJI adaptor, at least from what can be seen in the pictures, is a passive device. I'd guess that it simply uses a bespoke wiring path specific to the Pocket, or at best a simple IC for identification, similar to Apple products etc.

It's also possible that the Pocket may need a firmware/software update anyway for the mic adaptor, regardless of if it's passive, active or bespoke.

It'd be very helpful if DJI just let everyone know when the mic adaptor will be released.

I for one will not buy a Pocket until this function and adaptor are available.

It's a pity that DJI didn't have all this sorted for the release. As the Pocket will be perfect for many types of vlogging applications and also high quality video acquisition where dialogue is probably more important than picture, such as ENG etc.

There is a very good chance that the Pocket with an external mic will be the absolute killer combination for a high quality video/dialogue micro camera system.

All things being equal, a very simple tiny ECM microphone connected to the Pocket via its adaptor, could allow for great quality dialogue in a form factor that compliments the Pocket's size.

Cheers,
Dave.
2018-12-24
Use props
djiuser_bFCCfXWrOBXk
lvl.2
United States

David Harry Posted at 12-24 22:31
This appears fake. If you listen on headphones you can hear that the audio is stereo. This is impossible as the microphone that's supposedly used is a mono microphone.

Plus. The GoPro interface has active electronic components that process audio and also supplies electret/plugin power for ECM based mics. This means that it's wiring and functionality is bespoke to GoPro devices. You also can't simply plug any other USB to audio cable/device into a GoPro.

At this point, I'm definitely leaning towards the idea that a future firmware release is going to provide external mic support. I thought the GoPro video looked/sounded suspicious and wasn't fully convinced. I've also tried a passive USB-C to 3.5mm adapter with and without a TRS to TRRS adapter and still no luck. Guess it's just a wait and see game right now with DJI especially considering the 3.5mm adapter isn't even listed on their website at the moment alongside with the other official "unreleased" accessories.

External mic support and accessories aside, I've been really happy with my Osmo Pocket so far and looking forward to seeing what DJI has in store for it down the road.
2018-12-25
Use props
Skyjacker1
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Anyone find a solution to this yet? The great video capture capability of this rig is juxtaposed by the horrendous audio and lack of any onboard alternative. A simple usb-c to 3.5mm would allow at least some latitude.
2019-1-5
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_bFCCfXWrOBXk Posted at 2018-12-25 13:17
At this point, I'm definitely leaning towards the idea that a future firmware release is going to provide external mic support. I thought the GoPro video looked/sounded suspicious and wasn't fully convinced. I've also tried a passive USB-C to 3.5mm adapter with and without a TRS to TRRS adapter and still no luck. Guess it's just a wait and see game right now with DJI especially considering the 3.5mm adapter isn't even listed on their website at the moment alongside with the other official "unreleased" accessories.

External mic support and accessories aside, I've been really happy with my Osmo Pocket so far and looking forward to seeing what DJI has in store for it down the road.

You will need their adapter to use any mic...more $$$$ for DJI!
2019-1-5
Use props
djiuser_CnWGhbUQSdiU
New

United States

The GoPro 3.5mm trs mic adapter does not give sound through the Osmo pocket, at least not with the rode video micro. I posted a video on YouTube a few days ago.

Just tried again with the new update, still no go.
2019-1-10
Use props
Carlmcg
New
United Kingdom

Thanks for post this, I'm sat here waiting for this adapter, googling every day. We do on the go interviews, currently there's a massive audio problem that hopefully this will completely resolve!
2019-1-21
Use props
fansf48d1cdf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 208589 ft
United States

CruiseHabit Posted at 2018-12-23 08:16
I realize this is an option, but when constantly traveling and doing many short clips to later stitch together, the extra gear and added post-prod time becomes a bit much.

Yeah! And the whole point of the Osmo pocket is to have a portable quick vlog setup in your hand, if you need to carry audio gear too, it defeats the purpose. Very bad release not to have an official external mic accessory for so long, and I don't like that they don't support 3rd party ones. DJI is losing points in my head.
2019-2-7
Use props
Skyjacker1
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I’m doubting dji is going to release a usb-c to 3.5mm Jack at all anymore, I can’t find it in the store as forth coming. It’s utter bull... as I want to plug a simple lavaleer mic into it so I can record USABLE narration, the internal mic absolutely sucks and  it renders this thing useless to me without having the adapter. Not happy at all, I will be selling this thing in short and re-thinking long, hard and hesitant before any future purchases from dji
2019-2-10
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

I hear and see hundreds of crying and whining for better sound - why do you not take a
voice recorder, smaller than the pocket - and cheaper than a future DJI adapter.
For prices from 10 - 20 € you get great sound, mp3 or wav with 1536 kbs.
One battery charge lasts for > 500 hours

2019-2-10
Use props
zoom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 97402 ft
  • >>>
Australia

BeterBan Posted at 2-10 17:26
I hear and see hundreds of crying and whining for better sound - why do you not take a
voice recorder, smaller than the pocket - and cheaper than a future DJI adapter.
For prices from 10 - 20 € you get great sound, mp3 or wav with 1536 kbs.

Do you have links to any of these - would help
2019-2-11
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

search aliexpress.com for "voice recorder" ... or amazon
https://de.aliexpress.com/wholes ... Text=voice+recorder
2019-2-11
Use props
NoëI
lvl.4

Netherlands

I've always been using recorders to get better audio (zoom f1), but as you know it is a lot of extra work to sync the audio to the video.
The reason I got the OP was because of the option to add an external mic to it.
2019-2-11
Use props
Ttrilles
lvl.4
Germany

With Lumafusion it is very easy to sync an external audio track.

T.
2019-2-11
Use props
NoëI
lvl.4

Netherlands

Not if you record small clips during a day.
You will need to sync every video / audio clip. LOTS of extra work!!

2019-2-11
Use props
djiuser_JQOEuxQZfsFK
New
Australia

Ok,  I have been patiently waiting for a OSMO Audio converter..  Like most, I tried ebay and the units saying will work but do not..

I am getting very annoyed that this silly little item is not yet available.  I will be at CinemaCon and NAB in the next month..  Hell I cannot believe I cannot get a converter.

Yes I have external MICs and typically post sync.  But that means in phone editing and posting IS NOT POSSIBLE. and I will have to go through premiere or similar to bring it all together before I can utilise the recorded content.

A MAIN REASON I got this was so I could be in a position to do good trade show floor videos and post them without going through the extra editing/post workflows.
If I could get good quality audio into the OSMO pocket straight of the bat.   Save huge amount of time and effort.

We have seen it working fine with some beta testers.  WHY HAS THIS NOT BEEN MADE AVAILABLE?

All I can imagine is that if you enable it, these cheap units will likely also work..  And DJI are trying to lock it down to make sure they can turn even more $$$ for what I feel is highly priced item for what it is.

Hell the wireless attachment should have been in the unit for the price.  Should have been built in.   The only reason to seperate it was to pry more $$ from consumers.  not impressed.

DJI, your generating some negative attitude towards your brand with this poor behaviour.

James
2019-2-26
Use props
MennoH
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75118 ft
Netherlands

djiuser_bFCCfXWrOBXk Posted at 2018-12-22 10:20
Okay, according to this video the USB-C adapter from GoPro seems to support external mics. Not totally convinced though. Lol, can anyone else confirm before I waste $50 on the GoPro adapter?

https://youtu.be/aiHOSnUSGXw

This completely ruins the "pocket" concept...
2019-3-11
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

MennoH Posted at 3-11 09:43
This completely ruins the "pocket" concept...

I agree MennoH.  We are fast getting away from the pocket concept.   I bought my OP for what it can do and not what I want it to do.  There are so many 'add ons' becoming available that it very soon won't qualify for the Pocket name.  
More like the Osmo Unwieldy Contraption.  
2019-3-11
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

Not always small is beautiful :-)  I am very happy and content with OP, will never buy
this overpriced adapter. And nooooooo GoPro - other mothers also have pretty daughters

If someone not willing to pay high prices for OP or Gopro, you get (a bit larger but better):

! ! ! ! !

Lapse time 1sec, 2sec, 5sec .... 30min

2019-3-11
Use props
NoëI
lvl.4

Netherlands

Funny. I've got that setup already here.

And as you can read: "Eingebautes Mikrofon"

I've modded one of my SJ's  to take an external mic :-)
2019-3-11
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

External mic ---> ready to connect ... SJcam is NOT DJI with the one million $ mic adapter

2019-3-11
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

John Walker Posted at 3-11 10:02
I agree MennoH.  We are fast getting away from the pocket concept.   I bought my OP for what it can do and not what I want it to do.  There are so many 'add ons' becoming available that it very soon won't qualify for the Pocket name.  
More like the Osmo Unwieldy Contraption.

Same with me.  I even pre-ordered the Exo Cage and by the end of the day, my OP rig will be bigger than a RED cam.  I feel guilty spending money but that's what video enthusiasts do, Lol.
2019-3-11
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

You must think this "pocket concept" is not created for
professional use, so nobody must cry if he has no "professional" sound.
With a little car you also cannot win Formula I races.
2019-3-11
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

No one in this thread, including Better Ban who knows this has stated the adapter is now shipping. Yes, it’s not cheap. By the time you pay for shipping, it will set you back between $50-$60. I don’t have a problem with the price. The mic I could choose to use would be greater than the OP in some situations. If I add a wireless like a Seinnheiser, it’s an $750 mic.

With correct shooting techniques and editing, this camera is possible of producing top quality video and now audio.
2019-3-11
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

Hmmm, looking hundreds of youtube OP videos ... there are 89.99% "for the cat" ... and it is NOT failure
of mic or OP ... IT'S THE USER! Man BEHIND camera ... or in selfie front   
2019-3-11
Use props
oaklandsunshine
New

United States

I ordered the 3.5mm adapter and the wireless module but now i want to know if they will work together let you know soon as I get mine in the mail
2019-3-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules