Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Why can’t 4K video recorded on micro SD be transferred to my iP...
2221 19 2018-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AngularIan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I did my first bit of trial recording with the Osmo Pocket at a party last night in low lighting. I am totally blown away by the picture and audio quality, at least as viewed on my phone, for a device that is no bigger than my index finger.

But the inability to offload the video onto my phone so I can post it online is REALLY lame. It’s poor that the device can’t be used for live streaming, but to be told you can view your footage but not actually transfer it is really pathetic. Does anybody know if this crazy limitation is going to be removed in a future firmware release? It severely limits the usefulness of the camera for vlogging.
2018-12-16
Use props
Vermifuge
lvl.4
United States

All 4K or just anything above 4K 30?
2018-12-16
Use props
AngularIan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Vermifuge Posted at 12-16 02:32
All 4K or just anything above 4K 30?

Not tried other resolutions. I shoot in 4k/50p, not Superfine mode.
2018-12-16
Use props
Vermifuge
lvl.4
United States

AngularIan Posted at 12-16 02:34

Try 4k 30.  I have a feeling it's an Apple problem and not a DJI problem because iPhone requires HEVC (for anything over 4k 30)  and i don't think the Osmo Pocket can support HEVC.
2018-12-16
Use props
ESMP
lvl.1
United States

Vermifuge Posted at 12-16 02:40
Try 4k 30.  I have a feeling it's an Apple problem and not a DJI problem because iPhone requires HEVC (for anything over 4k 30)  and i don't think the Osmo Pocket can support HEVC.

nope..still not working. I don't think it's the apple problem because 4k 30 works fine.  It's just the 4k60.
Plus it has nothing to do with iPhone's camera anyway.... but what the heck I changed the setting on my iPhone X's camera setting just to see if it makes any difference...  NOPE!
2018-12-16
Use props
ESMP
lvl.1
United States

Came to conclusion: Till the another firmware update, I'm gonna just shoot at 4k/30 with relatively slow hand movement which seems to offset the auto focus issue, not eliminate it but minimize it. The small form factor and convenient win over these short coming issues, which soon will be improved by newer firmware or so I hope.!
2018-12-16
Use props
djiuser_DzxfoDrAhMtl
lvl.1
Netherlands

AngularIan Posted at 12-16 02:34

Same problem here, any recordings above 1080p 30 fps do not download to my iPhone 6S, 7 or iPad 2017. Compleatly useles like this.
2018-12-16
Use props
Vermifuge
lvl.4
United States

ESMP Posted at 12-16 04:15
nope..still not working. I don't think it's the apple problem because 4k 30 works fine.  It's just the 4k60.
Plus it has nothing to do with iPhone's camera anyway.... but what the heck I changed the setting on my iPhone X's camera setting just to see if it makes any difference...  NOPE!

Your post is contradicting itself.  "Still not working" But "4k 30 works fine" only supports my theory ...

iPhone requires HEVC for anything ABOVE 4K 30...  so 4K 50/60 would require HEVC H.265 but plain old H.264 is fine for 4K30.  
2018-12-16
Use props
IftiBashir
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I can transfer 4k/30 to my iPhone fine.
Will try 4k/60 and report back....
2018-12-16
Use props
fansf6079819
New
Flight distance : 6188 ft
Italy

I have some problem with my iPhone 7 and Osmo Pocket 4K 60 videos
2018-12-16
Use props
Vermifuge
lvl.4
United States

IftiBashir Posted at 12-16 14:55
I can transfer 4k/30 to my iPhone fine.
Will try 4k/60 and report back....

i think it should be he same for 48/50/60 the should all be denied.  

24/25/30 should be ok.

It probably has to do with HEVC or maybe the bitrate of the files at those higher frame rates.
2018-12-16
Use props
PAYBACK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 683885 ft
United States

Can confirm that 4K/60 does not work on new iPad Pro 11 inch either. Most frustrating.  
2018-12-16
Use props
ESMP
lvl.1
United States

Vermifuge Posted at 12-16 11:04
Your post is contradicting itself.  "Still not working" But "4k 30 works fine" only supports my theory ...

iPhone requires HEVC for anything ABOVE 4K 30...  so 4K 50/60 would require HEVC H.265 but plain old H.264 is fine for 4K30.
4K30fps works fine. 4k60fps is not working--What's there to contradict?
2018-12-17
Use props
Vermifuge
lvl.4
United States

ESMP Posted at 12-17 01:40
4K30fps works fine. 4k60fps is not working--What's there to contradict?

You said

"nope..still not working. I don't think it's the apple problem because 4k 30 works fine.  It's just the 4k60"

So 24/25/30 work and 30/50/60 don't.  

I still believe this is an HEVC problem and that would be a limitation of iOS. Maybe the bitrate is too high, but really we need someone from DJI to confirm.
2018-12-17
Use props
Daveb500
lvl.4
Flight distance : 191742 ft
United Kingdom

The problem is more to do with the phone tech no the osmo. 4k video files are too big for the phones processor to handle. phone video at 720p and 1080p, if yo uwant to stream using the phone then reduce to 1080p. I tried 4k on my wileyfox android, and it takes it but struggles, at 1080p it works fine.
Why is it ppl jump on dji as the problem, when the reality is the other tech they are using.

I used my pocket this weekend during power boat training, in high winds, and rough seas, whilst the boat was bucking around the horizon was perfectly smooth and level. What a great device, would have been impossible with anything else.
2018-12-17
Use props
AngularIan
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Daveb500 Posted at 12-17 02:25
The problem is more to do with the phone tech no the osmo. 4k video files are too big for the phones processor to handle. phone video at 720p and 1080p, if yo uwant to stream using the phone then reduce to 1080p. I tried 4k on my wileyfox android, and it takes it but struggles, at 1080p it works fine.
Why is it ppl jump on dji as the problem, when the reality is the other tech they are using.

I’m sorry but your answer makes absolutely no sense to me and sounds like that of a DJI shill

I don’t want to stream video. I simply want to copy a file from the SD card on the Osmo to my phone memory. There is no limitation on the phone size and it should be perfectly possible to (a) copy the file and (b) downsize the higher quality video for uploadimg to YouTube or Vimeo or even getting a reasonable view of the video as I would get if I used the phone as a monitor while shooting.
2018-12-17
Use props
El Diablo
First Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-12-17
Use props
txtechnonerd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 175075 ft
  • >>>
United States

Daveb500 Posted at 12-17 02:25

Yep, I think you're seriously misinformed and confused here. The iPad Pro (and for that matter the X, XS, and XS Max...) handle 4K @ 60FPS just fine (I mean, you do realize that they are fully capable of natively shooting in 4k @ 60FPS - albeit in HEVC, right?)...in fact, I'd venture to say that they "handle" them much better than most of the computers sitting on something way north of 98%> of all consumers' desks. The only thing "too big" for those devices is that they'll only be able to display 2k-ish resolution, but handling the files and the processing of them is not an issue. What "might" be an issue is the way that CoreImage and CoreMedia deal with those assets in iOS...but in almost no way is it a "processor" issue.
2018-12-17
Use props
Daveb500
lvl.4
Flight distance : 191742 ft
United Kingdom

txtechnonerd Posted at 12-17 05:48
Yep, I think you're seriously misinformed and confused here. The iPad Pro (and for that matter the X, XS, and XS Max...) handle 4K @ 60FPS just fine (I mean, you do realize that they are fully capable of natively shooting in 4k @ 60FPS - albeit in HEVC, right?)...in fact, I'd venture to say that they "handle" them much better than most of the computers sitting on something way north of 98%> of all consumers' desks. The only thing "too big" for those devices is that they'll only be able to display 2k-ish resolution, but handling the files and the processing of them is not an issue. What "might" be an issue is the way that CoreImage and CoreMedia deal with those assets in iOS...but in almost no way is it a "processor" issue.

If you rad my statement correctly you will see I said I managed to download from the sd card on the pocket to my ANDROID phone with no issue, and play back at 4k 30fps.
2018-12-17
Use props
txtechnonerd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 175075 ft
  • >>>
United States

Daveb500 Posted at 12-17 06:01
If you rad my statement correctly you will see I said I managed to download from the sd card on the pocket to my ANDROID phone with no issue, and play back at 4k 30fps.

Please, educate me about my misreading of: "4k video files are too big for the phones processor to handle." I'm all ears...
2018-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules