DJI Mino asking for access to location, however no GPS coordinate...
8715 25 2018-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cisse
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8754354 ft
Belgium

So after installing the DJI Mimo app on an iPhone (ios), you get this message to allow of not (see screenshot):

Allow "DJI Mino" to access your location while you are using the app?
DJI Mimo requesting GPS permission to mark locations on your work.

However, even when using the OP with your iPhone and app, no GPS coordinates are saved with the pictures.

Am I missing something, or is this not available at the moment and is foreseen in an upcoming upgrade?

Thanks for any feedback on this.

Cisse

gps.PNG
2018-12-16
Use props
corey_mcl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16476 ft
United States

Following responses
2018-12-16
Use props
Cisse
lvl.3
Belgium

Any feedback from Dji on this?
2018-12-17
Use props
Chuan Woi Ng
lvl.1
Singapore

Cisse Posted at 12-17 12:50
Any feedback from Dji on this?

follow on this
2018-12-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, May we have the specific model of your mobile device that you're using? We will coordinate this query to our team for further clarification. Please let hit "Reply" for updates.
2018-12-18
Use props
NorthTexasAerials
lvl.2
United States

Also interested...
2018-12-18
Use props
Cisse
lvl.3
Belgium

DJI Tony Posted at 12-18 10:17
Hi, May we have the specific model of your mobile device that you're using? We will coordinate this query to our team for further clarification. Please let hit "Reply" for updates.

My phone model is an iPhone S 6 Plus.
2018-12-18
Use props
NoëI
lvl.4

Netherlands

Same with any of my Android phones. Luckily I can set permission to not use the GPS.
2018-12-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Cisse Posted at 12-18 11:22
My phone model is an iPhone S 6 Plus.

Hi, thanks for your prompt reply. The DJI Osmo Pocket doesn't have the GPS module that could possibly produce an accurate GPS coordinate. The notification that you've encountered is normal like the other applications when you installed, however, you could still refuse to that notification as part of your option. Thank you for understanding.
2018-12-19
Use props
Adam9997
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2608901 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 12-19 09:22
Hi, thanks for your prompt reply. The DJI Osmo Pocket doesn't have the GPS module that could possibly produce an accurate GPS coordinate. The notification that you've encountered is normal like the other applications when you installed, however, you could still refuse to that notification as part of your option. Thank you for understanding.

Once refused the app will not function (on Android)
2018-12-19
Use props
NoëI
lvl.4

Netherlands

Adam9997 Posted at 12-19 09:29
Once refused the app will not function (on Android)

For me it does work fine!
2018-12-19
Use props
Adam9997
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

NoëI Posted at 12-19 09:36
For me it does work fine!

Interesting, Is it on Android? I'll try re-installing
2018-12-19
Use props
NoëI
lvl.4

Netherlands

Adam9997 Posted at 12-19 10:17
Interesting, Is it on Android? I'll try re-installing

Yes, It's Android 8.0.0 (rooted).
Only thing allowed on my phone for the app is access to the storage.
I do get a "permission Denied warning" saying "Permission rejected. Please authorize the permission to use the function normally", but after this it continues and works fine.
2018-12-19
Use props
Cisse
lvl.3
Belgium

DJI Tony Posted at 12-19 09:22
Sometimes I wonder about the relation and communication stream between the developers and the support team. In this case are we getting the full information?

The GPS message coming from Dji Mimo is very specific if you read it. Even more did you see this setting in the privacy settings page within the Dji Mimo app itself? (Screen)

I understand that the OP does not have a GPS module, but we are talking about when the OP is connected to the phone which does has it.
7E4DF831-17B9-4E06-9DFA-CA152BD00D91.jpeg
2018-12-19
Use props
Adam9997
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

NoëI Posted at 12-19 11:15
Yes, It's Android 8.0.0 (rooted).
Only thing allowed on my phone for the app is access to the storage.
I do get a "permission Denied warning" saying "ermission rejected. Please authorize the permission to use the function normally", but after this it continues and works fine.

Yeah I get the same message, but it won't let me past this screen. Thanks for the info. Good news is the product tutorial is running in the background....
2018-12-19
Use props
ollebrandt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 137510 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Interesting,

I don't get any GPS information at all (or separate GPS data files on the SD card), neither from the Osmo Pocket nor from the Osmo Action, even though I have done the filming/picture shooting through the OSMO Mimo app, and downloaded it to my pictures through the app. My phone is an iPhone 7, NN9C2ZD/A, with IOS 13.3, my Osmo Pocket has FW 01.10.00.30, Camera FW 00.00.00.01, 01.18.39.35, my Osmo Action is a DF2C29, with FW 01.07.00.20(7099), The Mimo app is version V1.2.13(54841), all settings for the Mimo app allowing everything asked for...
2019-12-29
Use props
Interceptor_Alpha
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-12-19 09:22

This does not work. The app does not let you proceed if you decline. Maybe fix it? This post was from 2018 and it is 2020 now.
2020-1-22
Use props
djiuser_Iuvs2KfoG8Ca
New
United Kingdom

Hi. Just received my Osmo mobile 3 for my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I’ve taken a load of pictures and videos using the Mimo app. No GPS data appears to have been saved. I have GPS enabled in Privacy in the app and phone. Why is no GPS data there?
2020-2-2
Use props
lx404
lvl.1
Flight distance : 219751 ft
Hong Kong

djiuser_Iuvs2KfoG8Ca Posted at 2-2 06:23
Hi. Just received my Osmo mobile 3 for my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I’ve taken a load of pictures and videos using the Mimo app. No GPS data appears to have been saved. I have GPS enabled in Privacy in the app and phone. Why is no GPS data there?

Same here. I have been using the Mimo app exclusively on my trip to Iceland but to my utter disappointment AFTER the whole trip, NOT A SINGLE GPS location is recorded. As I was part of a tour, not driving ourselves, there is no way to find out what are the places we have been to. This is absolutely terrible and I wanted to dump my Osmo Mobile 3 into the rubbish bin since it is so trash.
2020-4-17
Use props
lx404
lvl.1
Hong Kong

testing testing testing
2020-4-17
Use props
lx404
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Same here. I was using the Mimo app exclusively to take pictures and videos for my December trip to Iceland only to find out that NOT A SINGLE GPS coordinate has been recorded. Since we were not driving ourselves, but following a local tour, there is absolutely no way to find out what are the places we have been to. I feel so terrible about the fact that I do not know where the photos have been taken that I absolutely wanted to throw the Osmo Mobile 3 into the trash bin.
2020-4-17
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 363661 ft
United States

If the app doesn't save GPS coords, why is it asking for location info? I just got the osmo today and just installed the app. I wanted to deny location permission (android 10 samsung note 10plus), but if i deny it, it just keeps asking me for location permission over and over and i can't do anything else.  Even if the app does record gps coords in pics/video, i should be able to turn this 'feature' off. There's no reason why this app MUST have location permission in order to keep working.
2020-8-13
Use props
Cisse
lvl.3
Belgium

In my opinion this request to allow access to location is utterly misused for marketing related data mining. The Mimo app insists to allow access. DJI just wants to track and trace where the Mimo app is being used in the world sending you targeted advertisements.

Another explanation is that for the other products, like drones GPS coordinates are needed to now where your bird is at.

The general conditions stipulate:
“You consent to the collection and use of your personal data and information about your location in accordance with the DJI Privacy Policy. Access to certain features of the Service may require access to information about the location of your device, such as GPS coordinates”

And the Privacy Notice:
“We may use your location information to operate and provide features of the DJI Products and Services, to provide services and information that you request.“

I wonder if this is in compliance with GDPR? Being a company located in China you draw your own conclusions.
2020-8-14
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

I don't know about iOS, but I do a bit of development on Android...

On Android, you need to alloow the location permission in order to use Bluetooth on a device. The Mimo app uses/can use Bluetooth to establish initial communications between a phone and a DJI device.

Android does not ask you to allow the app to use Bluetooth, though. It asks you to allow location use - which is confusing!

The reason for this is that Bluetooth can be used to determine your location!

Consider this, a database of Bluetooth devices tied to locations - bluetooth beacons (used for advertising) in particular, but also bluetooth speakers and other bluetooth devices that don't generally move about - can build a set of triangulation points that can be used to determine a users location. These Bluetooth beacons are a particular problem here as their proliferation is scary these days (install a beacon scanner and go for a walk aroudn a town centre, you'll be amazed).

If Android just asked for permission to use Bluetooth you'd probably be pretty hapy with that. BUT what is the app using Bluetooth for? Android has no way of knowing if you are using the infromation about which Bluetooth devices are close to you. It /may/ be legitimate use to connecto a device or it may be used to determine your location.

For that information it was decided that Android shoudl ask for permission to access location information in order to use BlueTooth connections.

While it is confusing, it is erring on the cautious side in these dyas of data slurping everywhere.

While allowing the location permission DOES allow an app to access your GPS location as well, which you may consider a privacy issue, it shoud be noted that allowing access to Bluetooth on your device can also reveal your location, so even if there was a seperate permission just for Bluetooth you could be giving away your location.

Beyond that, remeber that even having a cell connection, for your phone to work as a phone, can be used to determine your location! Triangulation between cell-towers can be pretty accurate!
2020-8-17
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 363661 ft
United States

No Original Thought Posted at 8-17 04:53
I don't know about iOS, but I do a bit of development on Android...

On Android, you need to alloow the location permission in order to use Bluetooth on a device. The Mimo app uses/can use Bluetooth to establish initial communications between a phone and a DJI device.

It's it pretty sad that a user comes up with what sounds like a reasonable explanation, while no one from dji could explain this at all.
2020-8-29
Use props
djiuser_lfsRdpAbXSe5
New
Austria

2024 checking in, problem is persisting. DJI OSMO Mobile 6 with iPhone 15 Pro.

Edit: it needs to be enabled in Settings->Privacy (not the shooting settings)
2-20 15:30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules