Signal 5.8GH or 2.4?
1132 11 2018-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Filip Kyzek
lvl.3
Czechia

Hello! So today I flew my Phantom 4 Pro around 2,5 KM away and on the first flight I lost signal and It went into failsafe RTH and on the second flight at the start I had only 3 lines on 5.8 GH so I switched to 2.4 GH and I went 2,6 KM and still full signal! So I have one question, Is 2.4GH stronger or what are the differences?
2018-12-16
Use props
Cradoka
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2530794 ft
Australia

2.4 GH is what auto selects. In my district it is good for 4.5km at 60m. I have tried 5.8 as a fiddle. in my district that is pretty much a disaster under any conditions. Having said that, I do not usually have any interference on the 2.4 band at all. As a result there has been no need to have a play. Why is it needed to go off auto?
2018-12-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It depends on the interference in your flying area.
If there's too much interference on 2.4, 5.8 is likely to be better and vice versa.
2018-12-16
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Auto for me ..........  !
2018-12-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Filip Kyzek. The difference between 2.4Ghz and 5.8GHz, I would say it is about the interference. Many WiFi and Bluetooth devices use 2.4GHz channels, so the interference on 2.4GHz would be great, 5.8GHz has cleaner channels. Thank you.
2018-12-17
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-16 18:25
It depends on the interference in your flying area.
If there's too much interference on 2.4, 5.8 is likely to be better and vice versa.

Just as a "for instance"

I fly alot of Real Estate jobs, and they are quite often in high density residential areas.....EVERYONE has WiFi these days......since I am flying usually within 700ft of my home point in these areas, I'll use 5.8 and I get NO interference.

I don't "usually" get interference on 2.4 but why poke the bear??  Risk Management....Always play it safe.

Randy
2018-12-17
Use props
Filip Kyzek
lvl.3
Czechia

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-17 10:11
Hello and good day Filip Kyzek. The difference between 2.4Ghz and 5.8GHz, I would say it is about the interference. Many WiFi and Bluetooth devices use 2.4GHz channels, so the interference on 2.4GHz would be great, 5.8GHz has cleaner channels. Thank you.

Okay! Thank you!
2018-12-29
Use props
Filip Kyzek
lvl.3
Czechia

rwynant V1 Posted at 12-17 10:47
Just as a "for instance"

I fly alot of Real Estate jobs, and they are quite often in high density residential areas.....EVERYONE has WiFi these days......since I am flying usually within 700ft of my home point in these areas, I'll use 5.8 and I get NO interference.

Thank you! Here that's weird I have stronger signal on 2.4. But I understand
2018-12-29
Use props
Filip Kyzek
lvl.3
Czechia

Manxmann Posted at 12-17 00:23
Auto for me ..........  !

Well that's solution too!
2018-12-29
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Filip Kyzek Posted at 12-29 07:41
Well that's solution too!

It seems to work OK,  no problems so far.
2018-12-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

You are very much welcome Filip Kyzek. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-1-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I think 2.4 ghz signals are more apt to be absorbed by nature (trees, grass, bushes, etc.) whereas 5.8 ghz is more apt to bounce off streets, buildings, roofs - tiny water droplets in the air - even clouds - which may or may not be advantageous - depending.  I think a 5.8 signal has certain favorable attributes depending on the environment - even with no signal crowding interference.  But my understanding is that, all things being equal, and in a perfect and clean open environment, 2.4 ghz has somewhat of an advantage over 5.8 ghz in regards to range.  I think that's why DJI chose 2.4 ghz for control of their first Phantom.  I think that's why 2.4 ghz is the default freq for home routers in the USA.  I think that's why DJI chose 5.8 ghz for control in the FC40, AND their P2 Vision series drones AND their P3 wifi drones - to leave 2.4 ghz available for the significantly more complex video & telemetry wifi signal.  I think that's why 2.4 ghz is the frequency used for the P3 Lightbridge series and other DJI models.  I think if you're using a directional antenna, it would be easier to aim a 2.4 ghz signal.  I think the 2.4 ghz band is crowded in urban America and other countries which may be a good reason to go to 5.8 if you're in the city or dense suburbs.  But it could be advantageous to use 5.8 in rural areas too, depending on the specific situation and/or environment.  In summary, in most cases I'd start with 2.4, and go to 5.8 if I had a good reason.  MHO
2019-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules