Found DJI Phantom Drone in Gatlinburg, TN
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
satalac
lvl.1

United States

I've found a DJI Phantom Drone outside of a cabin we were renting in Gatlinburg, TN. I was able to pull the card and get some video. There's no owner info on the drone, but if you can tell me what cabin you were at, when you stayed there (based off the timestamp of the crash video), then it's yours. I'd love to fix it myself and fly it, but can't do it in good conscience without trying to find the owner. I know these things are expensive. If I don't have any luck here, does anyone else know what to do? I'm trying to find the rental property's info so I can see if they can contact who stayed there at the date on the video. Any forums or websites that could help locate the owner? Thanks.

2018-12-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

So Much respect for you. Well done... wow.

Good luck finding the rightful owner. ;-)

Please also post something over at http://phantompilots.com too...

Thanks for being an upstanding citizen. Hope you enjoyed your stay.

RedHotPoker
2018-12-16
Use props
satalac
lvl.1

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 12-16 13:25
So Much respect for you. Well done... wow.

Good luck finding the rightful owner. ;-)

Thanks, I've posted over there in the lost and found section as you advised. Hopefully someone will see this so they can get their Phantom back.
2018-12-16
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Your honesty is admirable.  I hope the owner is found,  if not,  you did your part.
2018-12-16
Use props
satalac
lvl.1

United States

Looking at more video, I believe I have found the owner's home address based on landmarks and finding it on Google Earth. Fingers crossed I can get this back to them. I still may contact DJI just to see if they can contact the owner as well. Thanks for the help.
2018-12-16
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1297612 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try DJI forums on facebook also.
2018-12-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

satalac Posted at 12-16 14:59
Looking at more video, I believe I have found the owner's home address based on landmarks and finding it on Google Earth. Fingers crossed I can get this back to them. I still may contact DJI just to see if they can contact the owner as well. Thanks for the help.

Forget even attempting to acquire any help from the big corporation.

Lost and found doesn’t interest them. Not enough intrigue.

They will not devulge an iota of thee unfortunates info...

RedHotPoker
2018-12-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

satalac Posted at 12-16 13:52
Thanks, I've posted over there in the lost and found section as you advised. Hopefully someone will see this so they can get their Phantom back.

Aside from posting a found poster on trees in the vicinity you have done your due diligence.

Thanks again, for being an honest and care-full, individual!! That’s very respectful, kind fellow.

Good luck Too, to you.

RedHotPoker

2018-12-16
Use props
satalac
lvl.1

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 12-16 15:08
Forget even attempting to acquire any help from the big corporation.

Lost and found doesn’t interest them. Not enough intrigue.

Yeah, it feels like a long shot, but I told them that if they could just put who they have on file in contact with me (I provided my email address, and the address I believe this person is at, along with a possible last name), I would get it back to them. We'll see what happens.
2018-12-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

satalac Posted at 12-16 15:12
Yeah, it feels like a long shot, but I told them that if they could just put who they have on file in contact with me (I provided my email address, and the address I believe this person is at, along with a possible last name), I would get it back to them. We'll see what happens.

Sorry, but they don’t play thee  honesty game...

No time, for lost and found drones.

If you buy it, it becomes your soul, & personal responsibility, except flying in, out of bounds territory, then they step, on your toes. Grin

No, you have done your honourable duty. Your parents raised you right, congrats to them.

Proud of you, we all are...

RedHotPoker
2018-12-16
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

If he/she registered the drone with the FAA it is ok to mark the registration # on the drone where the battery goes in such as I have done if it’s there you can find the owner via the FAA’s registration data base. Most people put the registration # outside but you do have the option to put the # inside the battery compartment.
2018-12-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Turn it into the police, with thee sd card... hehe

Sure post on Phantom 3 owners Facebook...

RedHotPoker
2018-12-16
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

You are a really nice person bro! RESPECT! How you can find the owner soon
2018-12-17
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

BTW welcome to the foum satalac!
2018-12-17
Use props
satalac
lvl.1

United States

Thanks I appreciate it. I was really impressed with the video one the one I found, I'm thinking of buying one myself, probably a Mavic.
2018-12-17
Use props
satalac
lvl.1

United States

So it looks like DJI is going to help out on this. I'll see if I get an email.
Screenshot_20181217-094915_Gmail.jpg
2018-12-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day satalac. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum and for the information you have shared with us today. We do appreciate taking time bringing this query to us. We strongly recommend contacting your local police to report this. I believe your local police will contact FAA and from there they would be able to contact the owner. Thank you for your honesty and support.
2018-12-17
Use props
satalac
lvl.1

United States

In contact with the owner, getting shipping info together. So in the future if anyone finds a DJI drone, contract them with the serial number and they'll put the owner in contact with you. At least they did in this case. I appreciate all the help from the board.
2018-12-17
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

satalac good work !! Respect for you !

2018-12-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

satalac Posted at 12-17 07:51
So it looks like DJI is going to help out on this. I'll see if I get an email.

This surprised me, as they never followed up like this, in past recent history.

Not To my knowledge.

RedHotPoker
2018-12-17
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 12-17 13:29
This surprised me, as they never followed up like this, in past recent history.

Not To my knowledge.

It has to be a first.  
2018-12-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

ALABAMA Posted at 12-17 13:40
It has to be a first.

Not that we know their business, but from the lack of info, it doesn’t surprise me, too much.

DJI are an upstanding company, and having them contact the rightful owner, if the finder is obviously honestly trying his very best to do the right thing.

Now he see the possibilities, from the video on-board and may become an avid eager rc pilot himself.
I think this has been a pretty awesome story. Glad it worked it.

Now I’m wondering if the pilot who lost the drone, is a member here, or perhaps over on PhantomPilots?

The future of more wonderous possibles. Haha

RedHotPoker
2018-12-17
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
Flight distance : 338468 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice to read something with a possible nice ending, Well done satalac for what you did and to DJI for doing there bit, It wouldn't work here in the UK no registration as yet.
2018-12-19
Use props
satalac
lvl.1

United States

Shipped it out to the owner yesterday. Definitely impressed with the customer service that DJI provided.
2018-12-19
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

I hope the owner compensates you.  Most people would have just kept it.  Bless you for your honesty.
2018-12-19
Use props
satalac
lvl.1

United States

ALABAMA Posted at 12-19 09:11
I hope the owner compensates you.  Most people would have just kept it.  Bless you for your honesty.

Thanks. I'm not expecting compensation, and am completely ok with it. I know if I had been the owner, I would want someone to do the same. I had him print the shipping label and email it to me, that way no money had to be exchanged. Keep it simple.
2018-12-19
Use props
NM_Quad
lvl.4
United States

satalac Posted at 12-19 09:30
Thanks. I'm not expecting compensation, and am completely ok with it. I know if I had been the owner, I would want someone to do the same. I had him print the shipping label and email it to me, that way no money had to be exchanged. Keep it simple.

Yes, you did the right thing, and as you said, we can only hope someone would do the same for us should we loose our drone.  Stresses the importance of having some ID on the drone, name, phone and/or email.  Makes things easier.  A missing drone would likely be found by someone with little knowledge on the craft or to contact DJI.  This fella was  very lucky you found it!
2018-12-19
Use props
Joszhe Tosa
Second Officer

United States

satalac Posted at 12-19 09:30

@DJI should give you a drone of your choice for being honest and doing the right thing which nowadays is hard to come by in most people it seems.
2018-12-22
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

satalac Posted at 12-17 06:04
Thanks I appreciate it. I was really impressed with the video one the one I found, I'm thinking of buying one myself, probably a Mavic.

If you are thinking about buying, you may want to consider a "DJI Refurbished"
2018-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules