Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Unreliable connection to Mimo
5015 34 2018-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
theprisoner6666
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Anyone else finding the connection to their Pocket is unreliable? Around 50% of the time I connect the device to my LG G6+ Android phone, the app opens then it just doesn't connect to the device. I can't seem to find any pattern either why it does this. Sometimes it works after restarting the device, other times it works after removing the USB C adapter for a few seconds. It's also the same on a friend's LG V20. Do you think this is a software or hardware issue? Anyone else having an issue connecting to Mimo Android?

Thanks...
2018-12-16
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just a thought... check to see if your phone is trying to sign in to you home WiFi.  This was happening to me with a different DJI device and I changed the WiFi settings to that it no longer would default to my home wifi if the App signal was lost.   Just an idea.
2018-12-17
Use props
Rogue0ne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 30322 ft
United Kingdom

Is your phone in a case? I've noticed the case on my iPhone XS causes problems. If I take it out, it's 100% working as it should.
2018-12-17
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Thanks for your replies. I think the issue lies with how the phone is seeing the device. The system notification flashes on and off notifying me that it's charging. When the charging notification stays on and doesn't flash, this is when the device connects ok. I've tried different USB configurations in developer settings, but nothing is stable.

Yes, the case does make a difference. It never connects with the case on, and about 25% of the time with it off. It's strange how it does this on a friend's LG phone too, and I've also read it does it for another member on this forum with an LG phone. Hopefully they can fix it in an update!

Oh well, I can use my wife's iPhone X until then
2018-12-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day theprisoner6666. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the connection of your DJI Osmo Pocket to your mobile device ( LG G6+ ). There could be an issue with compatibility that is why you are experiencing this issue today. We would suggest using a device that is listed on the recommended mobile device list for your DJI Osmo Pocket for compatibility and reliability of both the DJI Osmo Pocket and the DJI Mimo. For reference I will post the list of recommended mobile device for the DJI Osmo Pocket. Thank you.

2018-12-17
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.4
Hong Kong

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-17 09:02
Hello and good day theprisoner6666. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the connection of your DJI Osmo Pocket to your mobile device ( LG G6+ ). There could be an issue with compatibility that is why you are experiencing this issue today. We would suggest using a device that is listed on the recommended mobile device list for your DJI Osmo Pocket for compatibility and reliability of both the DJI Osmo Pocket and the DJI Mimo. For reference I will post the list of recommended mobile device for the DJI Osmo Pocket. Thank you.

[view_image]

Will there be an update to make LG phones compatible in the future?

Thanks...
2018-12-17
Use props
rjwPhoto
lvl.3
United States

I am using an iPhone 6+ and experience this occasionally. It's not often, but there are occasions when I'm in MIMO...after having no issue getting connected when initially attaching the OP to the phone...that I'll be setting up a shot and all of a sudden get a 'Device Not Connected' msg on screen. Happened this afternoon *just* as I was reaching to trip the shutter for a photo.

There doesn't seem to be a definitive resolution to the issue that I've discovered. Once or twice, just disconnecting/reconnecting the OP from the phone has re-established the connection. But more often it seems I have to, in addition to disconnecting the OP, I must also close MIMO on the phone, then attach the OP again and things come back to life. But there was one time I had to close MIMO *and* turn the OP off and then back on to enable a connection to be made again.
2018-12-17
Use props
Nerys
New
United States

I am having a similar issue but my success rate is virtually 0% I have had ONE successful connection (just long enough to activate something I am VERY not please with DJI. I don't like being required to ask permission to use my own property and that is what activation is. asking permission to use my own property) anyway. I had to hold the device twisted and at an angle to get a good connection if I wiggled so much as a hair it lost the connection. in fact part way through the firmware update I lost the connection and COULD NEVER GET IT BACK thankfully it had finished uploading the firmware update and the pocket was able to finish on its own and it did not require reactivation.

this is with an LG V20 running OS 8.0. I have 4 of these. same results on all 4. bad physical connection. Notification "flashes" for a second and then it gone (connection seen and then lost) the osmo vibrates each time over and over trying to connect.

I suspect the little usb c Dongle is simply bad. Can I connect USB C to USB C via the charge port? (I have a male male usb c cord but do not have a male female usb c cord)

would love to hear some suggestions. I don't have any other USB C computers and don't have any icrap either so I don't have any other way to test besides these 4 devices.
2018-12-17
Use props
Nerys
New
United States

ok tried a male-male usb c cable to the connection on the bottom of the osmo pocket

first I think that might actually work if someone with a working combo wants to try but I get the exact same behaviour. it SEES the pocket and loads mimo but then disconnects and vibrates connect/disconnect/connect/disconnect

I think this might be an android/mimo apps issue with the USB C OTG connection and not the little adapter. I have no idea why it worked that one time when I jiggled it around a little but it won't work again after firmware update (something changed in the firmware ???)
2018-12-17
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Nerys Posted at 12-17 17:35
I am having a similar issue but my success rate is virtually 0% I have had ONE successful connection (just long enough to activate something I am VERY not please with DJI. I don't like being required to ask permission to use my own property and that is what activation is. asking permission to use my own property) anyway. I had to hold the device twisted and at an angle to get a good connection if I wiggled so much as a hair it lost the connection. in fact part way through the firmware update I lost the connection and COULD NEVER GET IT BACK thankfully it had finished uploading the firmware update and the pocket was able to finish on its own and it did not require reactivation.

this is with an LG V20 running OS 8.0. I have 4 of these. same results on all 4. bad physical connection. Notification "flashes" for a second and then it gone (connection seen and then lost) the osmo vibrates each time over and over trying to connect.

You're experiencing EXACTLY what I get on my LG G6+. Vibrates, notification flashes, then the app opens, then no connection. Definitely try it without a case if the connection is dodgy.

It seems to be an issue with LG phones I think.
2018-12-17
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.4
Hong Kong

rjwPhoto Posted at 12-17 16:48
I am using an iPhone 6+ and experience this occasionally. It's not often, but there are occasions when I'm in MIMO...after having no issue getting connected when initially attaching the OP to the phone...that I'll be setting up a shot and all of a sudden get a 'Device Not Connected' msg on screen. Happened this afternoon *just* as I was reaching to trip the shutter for a photo.

There doesn't seem to be a definitive resolution to the issue that I've discovered. Once or twice, just disconnecting/reconnecting the OP from the phone has re-established the connection. But more often it seems I have to, in addition to disconnecting the OP, I must also close MIMO on the phone, then attach the OP again and things come back to life. But there was one time I had to close MIMO *and* turn the OP off and then back on to enable a connection to be made again.

This definitely sounds like an issue with the case. Have you tried it without a case on?
2018-12-17
Use props
Nerys
New
United States

Mine won't work with ANY case even a thin case. in all cases to even get the connect/disconnect/connect/disconnect I have to remove the case. rendering it useless even if it did work (the phoen is worth twice what the osmo pocket is worth. dropping a naked phone is a guaranteed way to destroy it :-( it looks like a tether works fine. so IF this gets working I will tether it to the bottom female usb connection on the osmo pocket and design and print a mount to mate the two devices together. simply "sticking" the device onto the end of the phone via the virtually priceless single charging connection on the device is just a really bad idea :-)

I think I could solve this with the bluetooth connection (why in gods name is a wireless connection not built into the osmo pocket? a BT circuit is so tiny it can fit in literally anything. sadly I can't do that because is $109 for that little widget and "NO ONE" has them in stock.
2018-12-17
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Nerys Posted at 12-17 18:53
Mine won't work with ANY case even a thin case. in all cases to even get the connect/disconnect/connect/disconnect I have to remove the case. rendering it useless even if it did work (the phoen is worth twice what the osmo pocket is worth. dropping a naked phone is a guaranteed way to destroy it :-( it looks like a tether works fine. so IF this gets working I will tether it to the bottom female usb connection on the osmo pocket and design and print a mount to mate the two devices together. simply "sticking" the device onto the end of the phone via the virtually priceless single charging connection on the device is just a really bad idea :-)

I think I could solve this with the bluetooth connection (why in gods name is a wireless connection not built into the osmo pocket? a BT circuit is so tiny it can fit in literally anything. sadly I can't do that because is $109 for that little widget and "NO ONE" has them in stock.

Tbh, I wouldn't trust a wireless connection from DJI. Every device I've ever owned by DJI is useless over wireless. The Mavic Pro is probably the best one, but even that doesn't live up to its hype in even the most remote areas. The Osmo+ was just painful to connect to a phone. It took forever to find a wifi signal, then the quality was terrible anyway. I have a CrystalSky screen, and this works much better, but still takes ages to connect. I would be really skeptical about buying a wireless adapter for the Pocket, or at least try one out first in a store.

Btw, you're the only other Nerys I've heard of! My Welsh friend is called Nerys too. Are you Welsh?
2018-12-17
Use props
deepnpisgah
lvl.1

United States

Nerys Posted at 12-17 17:35
I am having a similar issue but my success rate is virtually 0% I have had ONE successful connection (just long enough to activate something I am VERY not please with DJI. I don't like being required to ask permission to use my own property and that is what activation is. asking permission to use my own property) anyway. I had to hold the device twisted and at an angle to get a good connection if I wiggled so much as a hair it lost the connection. in fact part way through the firmware update I lost the connection and COULD NEVER GET IT BACK thankfully it had finished uploading the firmware update and the pocket was able to finish on its own and it did not require reactivation.

this is with an LG V20 running OS 8.0. I have 4 of these. same results on all 4. bad physical connection. Notification "flashes" for a second and then it gone (connection seen and then lost) the osmo vibrates each time over and over trying to connect.

LGV20, managed to get one connection to work long enough to activate, but also it disconnected during firmware but it had uploaded to the osmo so it did succeed. I can use the osmo itself, but it will not connect to the V20 again and VERY ANNOYINGLY the activation video plays every time I try to connect.

This is my first experience with DJI and was looking seriously at a Mavic Pro but if this is the quality of the product and the software then I would be crazy to invest more money into products which are rushed out the door with woefully inadequate quality assurance.
2018-12-17
Use props
LouisP
Captain
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

I have had a few issues.. not as often as the OP .. but several times I have had the connection make , Mimo Open, and then it says device not connected.  Usually unplugging it and plugging it back in fixes the issue.  Once, on my iPad, I had it start to charge the iPad battery  and it did not show up in Mimo... again .. unplugging it and plugging it back in fixed it.   I really don't like the connection between the osmo pocket and the phone.. it just seems too loose.  Can't wait for the wireless module to become available.
2018-12-17
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.4
Hong Kong

LouisP Posted at 12-17 19:21
I have had a few issues.. not as often as the OP .. but several times I have had the connection make , Mimo Open, and then it says device not connected.  Usually unplugging it and plugging it back in fixes the issue.  Once, on my iPad, I had it start to charge the iPad battery  and it did not show up in Mimo... again .. unplugging it and plugging it back in fixed it.   I really don't like the connection between the osmo pocket and the phone.. it just seems too loose.  Can't wait for the wireless module to become available.

I wouldn't be too hopeful about the bluetooth module. I can see this being another cause of mass hair loss!
The module will also make it impossible to put in the nice case. I will say one thing about DJI, they can certainly design some nice looking hardware. I just wish their stuff had better connectivity. This is why I was so excited about the Pocket, because it was a physical connection, not wireless, yet even this isn't reliable for many people. Terrible.
2018-12-17
Use props
rjwPhoto
lvl.3
United States

theprisoner6666 Posted at 12-17 17:56
This definitely sounds like an issue with the case. Have you tried it without a case on?

Not sure why you think it's a case issue. If the case was the issue, why would the device *ever* connect.

I could test it w/o the case, but that is not a practical solution for every day use. The case is only there to provide add'l protection for the phone. Taking it off to make a single device work shouldn't be necessary.....absent some obnoxiously thick case. Mine is not. In the area of the connection, it's actually a bit on the thin side, IMO.
2018-12-18
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.4
Hong Kong

rjwPhoto Posted at 12-18 03:58
Not sure why you think it's a case issue. If the case was the issue, why would the device *ever* connect.

I could test it w/o the case, but that is not a practical solution for every day use. The case is only there to provide add'l protection for the phone. Taking it off to make a single device work shouldn't be necessary.....absent some obnoxiously thick case. Mine is not. In the area of the connection, it's actually a bit on the thin side, IMO.

I guessed it was your case because your device manages to connect but then loses connection, so this sounds more like a port connection issue rather than a software issue. The reason it connects in the first place is that it makes enough contact to connect, but because the contact is so minimal, the slightest nudge will make it lose contact.

Yes, it's impractical to not use a case, but you can at least try it to see if this is your problem as this will save you time searching for other solutions. Myself and others members on this forum have all had similar issues with cases, so I was just suggesting it.
2018-12-18
Use props
rjwPhoto
lvl.3
United States

theprisoner6666 Posted at 12-18 04:25
I guessed it was your case because your device manages to connect but then loses connection, so this sounds more like a port connection issue rather than a software issue. The reason it connects in the first place is that it makes enough contact to connect, but because the contact is so minimal, the slightest nudge will make it lose contact.

Yes, it's impractical to not use a case, but you can at least try it to see if this is your problem as this will save you time searching for other solutions. Myself and others members on this forum have all had similar issues with cases, so I was just suggesting it.

I do appreciate the suggestion. Just hadn't fully thought through what all might be happening.

I have played around with it a bit since reading your original msg and I can see where it's possible the case *might* be the issue for the reasons you mention.

W/o the case on, there is an audible 'snap' heard when plugging the OP into the charging port that is not heard with the case on. 'But'....it sorta feels like the connection is being completed with the case on, but the rubberized nature of the case itself is damping the audible snap.

IF the case is my problem, I'm thinking it's the width of the opening to the charging port that is at issue, and I should probably be able to sand/file the opening enough to provide sufficient clearance for the OP to slide in and make a more reliable connection.

Thanks for the input!
2018-12-18
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.4
Hong Kong

rjwPhoto Posted at 12-18 04:56
I do appreciate the suggestion. Just hadn't fully thought through what all might be happening.

I have played around with it a bit since reading your original msg and I can see where it's possible the case *might* be the issue for the reasons you mention.
Widening of the case port is a good idea. If DJI manage to sort out the software issues then I'll also do the same as you because mine definitely doesn't work with a case on. Ironically, the connection feels more stable with a case on because the rubber acts as a cushion against the adapter!

Good luck anyway
2018-12-18
Use props
deepnpisgah
lvl.1

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-17 09:02
Hello and good day theprisoner6666. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the connection of your DJI Osmo Pocket to your mobile device ( LG G6+ ). There could be an issue with compatibility that is why you are experiencing this issue today. We would suggest using a device that is listed on the recommended mobile device list for your DJI Osmo Pocket for compatibility and reliability of both the DJI Osmo Pocket and the DJI Mimo. For reference I will post the list of recommended mobile device for the DJI Osmo Pocket. Thank you.

[view_image]

That's a nice compatibility chart. Too bad you don't publish it in the marketing materials or the manual or the quick-start guide but only here on the forum after so many people (seems like almost everyone really) are unable to connect the device reliably (or even at all) to their phones. I'm honestly stumped at how you can manage such a feat as Android is quite generic among different phones and other devices work easily across different phones. USB-C, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi are core standards.
2018-12-18
Use props
fans8eea1404
lvl.1
Flight distance : 112310 ft
Austria

I have the same issue on my iPhone X but in my case it does not connect in 80% of the time  - also no pattern found. Flight modus did not improve anything
2018-12-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

theprisoner6666 Posted at 12-17 16:26
Will there be an update to make LG phones compatible in the future?

Thanks...

You are much welcome. As of the moment we don't have the information when will be the additional device be added to the recommended mobile device list. For the latest news and updates for the DJI Osmo Pocket. Please visit our website at www.dji.com for more details. Thank you for your support.
2018-12-18
Use props
fans60ebd9a4
lvl.4
France

Galaxy s8+ same problem but it worked for few days
2018-12-21
Use props
k9kids
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4951 ft
United States

On my iPhone 8+, if I go into settings and turn off cellular data, my connection issues go away completely.

With it turned on, connection issues every time. Go figure.
2018-12-21
Use props
arthurbikemad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49954 ft
United Kingdom

My s8 has started doing this randomly, very annoying!!
2018-12-21
Use props
fans60ebd9a4
lvl.4
Poland

arthurbikemad Posted at 12-21 06:45
My s8 has started doing this randomly, very annoying!!

maybe it is not problem of dji device but it is a problem of dji's idea itself. osmo hang on usb c and in case of some devices coild even destroy a port. I returned from media markt where i boight horribly expensive usb c yo usb c cable , and i tried with the boytom usb conection and everuting works fine. I don't know if this is not a seriois issue with osmo. especially if no one from dji didn't mention that holding even for a while osmo with hanging heavywighted phone could cause serious damage to usb c pprt which is delicate part.
2018-12-21
Use props
arthurbikemad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49954 ft
United Kingdom

I agree, I know DJI will prob pass blame onto Android port drivers and or OS by Samsung or third party device driver or conflict of other installed apps and so on, end of the day the device keeps disconnecting from my phone, main issue here is in my case it's needed to enable Pro modes that I require and can not be set without the App. For this reason I have decided to send my Osmo back for a refund. Lucky that my dealer has a great returns policy and I am a valued customer, not that it matters to them.
For me as a first year DJI customer with Mavic Pro 2 Zoom, Ronin S and the Osmo Pocket I have grown to loose some faith in DJI, it's only as my dealer refunded the sudden discount on the Ronin S I am keeping it, the Mavic is great that's a fact but even that has minor bugs on the firmware, the Ronin issues have not been fully resolved and well, now this, for the money and yeah I know on the scale of things it's cheap but not that cheap I expect it to work. What more can I say.
2018-12-21
Use props
fans60ebd9a4
lvl.4
Poland

fans60ebd9a4 Posted at 12-21 08:03
maybe it is not problem of dji device but it is a problem of dji's idea itself. osmo hang on usb c and in case of some devices coild even destroy a port. I returned from media markt where i boight horribly expensive usb c yo usb c cable , and i tried with the boytom usb conection and everuting works fine. I don't know if this is not a seriois issue with osmo. especially if no one from dji didn't mention that holding even for a while osmo with hanging heavywighted phone could cause serious damage to usb c pprt which is delicate part.

Sorry for a lot of typing errors but i typed very quickly using my s8
2018-12-21
Use props
fans60ebd9a4
lvl.4
Poland

fans60ebd9a4 Posted at 12-21 10:34
Sorry for a lot of typing errors but i typed very quickly using my s8

form my perspective dji should investigate this problem as soon as possible. Using in normal situation mimo app changing settings focusing etc etc is absolutely impossible without holding both devices using only osmo. I read carefully FAQ and manual and there is no word about way which should be used osmo together with smartphone. Please bear in mind that some users use not only heavywight smartphones but also heavy cases together with smartphone. I will deliver after holiday season my s8 to service in order to obtain reliable information about condition of my usb-c port. If it will turn out that is damaged I will claim this to dji. Right now it works with external cable attached to bottom usb-c port  but i have to admitt that I bought cable which extremaly tight enters usb-c slot in my s8 probably thats why cobnnection is ok . if I change  to detachable osmo port after few seconds connection drops.
From my perspective it is only hardware issue.
DJI please make some quick comments
2018-12-21
Use props
Mirek6
First Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

I have LG G5, Android newest version.

DJI Mimo worked for several hours. It randomly stopped working. When I connect my phone to Osmo Pocket, connection screen flashes on and off and phone vibrates rhythmically. Mimo application starts but shows only tutorial page - does not establish connection with the camera. Same with LG phone my wife has. My son's Samsung miraculously works, who knows for how long.
DJI list of Android compatible devices is really a shame. Huawei, Google Pixel and few others nobody heard of? Really? No flagship models from Samsung and LG? Incredible.

Mirek
2019-1-6
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Mirek6 Posted at 1-6 17:41
I have LG G5, Android newest version.

DJI Mimo worked for several hours. It randomly stopped working. When I connect my phone to Osmo Pocket, connection screen flashes on and off and phone vibrates rhythmically. Mimo application starts but shows only tutorial page - does not establish connection with the camera. Same with LG phone my wife has. My son's Samsung miraculously works, who knows for how long.

I had exactly the same issue, but the new firmware update seems to have fixed it on my LG 6+.
2019-1-7
Use props
Harald_C
lvl.1
Flight distance : 112310 ft
Austria

fans8eea1404 Posted at 2018-12-18 07:29
I have the same issue on my iPhone X but in my case it does not connect in 80% of the time  - also no pattern found. Flight modus did not improve anything

Solution for my case: replacement lightning connector sent from DJI support solved the issue
2019-1-14
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.4
United States

Use the wireless module and wifi....game changer
2019-1-15
Use props
djiuser_k463SJaaesrx
New

United States

k9kids Posted at 2018-12-21 06:39
On my iPhone 8+, if I go into settings and turn off cellular data, my connection issues go away completely.

With it turned on, connection issues every time. Go figure.[view_image]

On my Essential Phone, turning off  the mobile network worked. Otherwise it won't connect.
2019-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules