Flying indoors for the first time
867 6 2018-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Marleyman
lvl.2
United States

I've been hired to fly indoors for the very first time, and was wondering if anyone had a good resource for the optimal set up for this type of job, with my Mavic Pro Platinum?
It's an indoor holiday display with running train sets and lit up christmas trees. It will just be me and my VO.
Any indoor flying tips would be appreciated or maybe someone knows of a good post or video on the subject?

Many thanks and Happy Holidays!

2018-12-17
Use props
skyhighmedia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Change "Signal Loss: Return to Home" to "Hover" or "Landing". Turn of obstacle avoidance sensors and make sure you have sufficient lighting for the VPS-system to work properly. Happy flying!
2018-12-17
Use props
Marleyman
lvl.2
United States

skyhighmedia Posted at 12-17 04:35
Change "Signal Loss: Return to Home" to "Hover" or "Landing". Turn of obstacle avoidance sensors and make sure you have sufficient lighting for the VPS-system to work properly. Happy flying!

Can you be more specific about "significan't lighting", because they need the Christmas Tree lights to "pop" so we can't turn on the overhead lights in the banquet hall.
2018-12-17
Use props
skyhighmedia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Marleyman Posted at 12-17 04:39
Can you be more specific about "significan't lighting", because they need the Christmas Tree lights to "pop" so we can't turn on the overhead lights in the banquet hall.

When you're flying indoors the Mavic has no GPS data. To maintain a stabile flight the Mavic relies on the VPS-system (Visual Positioning Sensors). On the Mavic Pro Platinum this consist of two small cameras on the aircrafts underside. These cameras are not very light-sensitive. If the room you're flying in is too dark, the aircraft will send out an error message "Ambient light too week". Which means the lighting in the room is not sufficient for the VPS system to work properly. This might result in your drone drifting and not being as stabile as it would outdoors.

I would be careful flying indoors if you are planning on turning the lights down to make the Christmas lights "pop".
2018-12-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Marleyman. Thank you for the inquiry. We do not  recommend using the DJI Mavic Pro Platinum Indoors due to its size and specifications. We suggest to choose an outdoor open area where the GPS is good, no magnetic interference, to fly the drone and check if all the functions are normal. If in case you really need to use the drone indoors please use a propeller guards for additional safety feature. Please take good care of your drone and enjoy the flying. Thank you for your support.
2018-12-17
Use props
GhostWolf010
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
Netherlands

Really, use prop guards...
I would suggest to cover your drone with some kind of alu foil...
There are bad experience with flying indoors. If the drone is flying without GPS, and suddenly gets a bit of reception, there is a (big) chance that the drone will fly away uncontrollably.  It happened a couple of times be for, and will happen again
2018-12-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-17 07:44
Hello and good day Marleyman. Thank you for the inquiry. We do not  recommend using the DJI Mavic Pro Platinum Indoors due to its size and specifications. We suggest to choose an outdoor open area where the GPS is good, no magnetic interference, to fly the drone and check if all the functions are normal. If in case you really need to use the drone indoors please use a propeller guards for additional safety feature. Please take good care of your drone and enjoy the flying. Thank you for your support.

"We do not  recommend using the DJI Mavic Pro Platinum Indoors due to its size and specifications."

You might not, but DJI recommend it.

Its specification means it is very capable of flying indoors with proper planning.

In fact it is sold with indoor flight as one of its highlights as demonstrated and endorsed in the keynote speech:-

See 10:00-13:20 for a demonstration of how good the Mavic Pro is indoors with sufficient lighting.

https://www.dji.com/mavic/video

2018-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules