Can't control gimbal from go 4 app
1584 6 2018-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ken22_Mavic_Pro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1821 ft
United States

My wife and I both love our little Mavic Pro, and we usually fly it as a team.  She controls the camera on our Samsung Tab A 10 inch tablet running GO 4.  We use a 10 foot USB cable so we can move somewhat independently.

The problem is when she tries to tilt the gimbal to better frame a picture.  The theory (from the manual) is that we can touch and hold the screen and then slide up or down to tilt the gimbal.  We have seen this work in the past, but it absolutely will not work now, using the same tablet as always.

When she touches the screen to hold it and then tilt the gimbal, the focus instantly kicks in, paints the green box around her finger, and then.... focuses.  That's a good thing, don't misunderstand, but when you hold the touch, you are supposed to be able to control the gimbal.  That never happens now.  We were on software version 4.3.2, and I upgraded a couple days ago to 4.3.8.  The issue is the same on both versions.

On a different forum, I connected with a guy who also uses the Samsung tablet and he reports it works fine for him on GO 4 4.3.8.  I have looked everywhere i can think of for a setting that maybe gives preference to gimbal control over focus on a touch and hold, but I cannot find anything helpful at all.  We have tried every combination of tap, then tap and hold, hold only, hold for a long time, tap a bit longer, etc.  It just doesn't work.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be one of those "Oh you need a $350 iPad" situations.  My wife really enjoys using this thing with me, but she would really like to have full control over the camera.  I want that as well because I'm a firm believer in VLOS flight and I lost sight of the aircraft Saturday while looking down at the tablet to frame the shot.  (Yes, the gimbal control wheel on the RC works perfectly.)

The AC is a Mavic Pro, all firmware is fully up to date (.500), and, as previously mentioned, the software version is now 4.3.8.

Any thoughts?  Maybe a missed setting or something?
2018-12-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Ken22_Mavic_Pro. I am sorry to know that you are having and issue with your DJI Mavic Pro connected to your mobile device ( Samsung Tab A 10 inch tablet ). I am sorry to say that we might have a compatibility issue that is why you are having this issue today. We recommend using a mobile device that is listed on the recommended mobile device list for compatibility and reliability of both the DJI Mavic Pro and with the DJI Go 4 application. For reference I will be posting the list of recommended mobile device for the DJI Mavic Pro. Thank you.

2018-12-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think you need another RC , you can use a second controller with Mavic pro
2018-12-17
Use props
Ken22_Mavic_Pro
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-17 11:44
Hello and good day Ken22_Mavic_Pro. I am sorry to know that you are having and issue with your DJI Mavic Pro connected to your mobile device ( Samsung Tab A 10 inch tablet ). I am sorry to say that we might have a compatibility issue that is why you are having this issue today. We recommend using a mobile device that is listed on the recommended mobile device list for compatibility and reliability of both the DJI Mavic Pro and with the DJI Go 4 application. For reference I will be posting the list of recommended mobile device for the DJI Mavic Pro. Thank you.

[view_image]

My wife has an iPhone 6S+.  We will test with that and see what happens.
2018-12-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Ken22_Mavic_Pro Posted at 12-17 13:17
My wife has an iPhone 6S+.  We will test with that and see what happens.

Thank you for the quick reply. Please keep us posted on the situation on hand.
2018-12-17
Use props
Ken22_Mavic_Pro
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-17 12:48
I think you need another RC , you can use a second controller with Mavic pro

we have talked about an second controller.  Unfortunately, that is a very expensive solution, and it would leave her trying to juggle both a controller and the tablet.  However, we have considered it because it would certainly give her some serious control of the process.  Thanks for the help....
2018-12-17
Use props
Ken22_Mavic_Pro
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-12-17 13:19
Thank you for the quick reply. Please keep us posted on the situation on hand.

I realize this is now an old thread, but I wanted to post that we fixed this problem on the Samsung Tab A with gimbal control.  I was testing with different devices including my Motorola Android phone and my wife's iPhone, and everything worked except this tablet.

Just on a general hunch, I went into settings, apps, and selected the GO4 app.  I selected "CLEAR CACHE", which it did.  The problem was instantly resolved!  I would not have thought that, but we flew through most of 2 batteries and it worked fine.

HOWEVER, IMPORTANT NOTE:  If you decide to do this, you should know that clearing cache will remove the cached GO4 user ID and password.  You will have to login again, and you cannot do this without an internet connection.

BOTTOM LINE:  when you clear the cache, be sure and do so at home or somewhere where you have an internet connection.  Don't go to the field and decide to do this just before taking off.  Fortunately, I was on my back deck when I did this, so no problem.
2019-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules