Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Pocket Feature Requests
12Next >
7359 53 2018-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chris1a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 801 ft
Sweden

I have a few things that I'd love to see on the Osmo Pocket. So without further ado, here's my feature request list (it's short, but feel free to add stuff to the list below).

1. Manual Focus.

You know that slider on the touch screen that lets you tilt the camera? How about an option to have it control the focus. Tapping to focus has been around since the dawn of time, but it isn't perfect and has never been. Anyone that shoots with their phone knows the struggle is...real. However it's easily solved by using a camera app that gives you full control over the focus, via an on-screen slider. Osmo Pocket needs this, on the actual device, not only as an option when connected to a cellphone. Focus can be hard to see on a 1" screen, so use focus peaking (I believe it's called) to give the user a graphic cue on where the focus point is at.

2. All frame rates and resolutions should be available on the device

3. Manual ISO and shutter speed should be available on the device (can't keep hooking up phones for this)

I know you want to keep the device as simple as possible, but perhaps adding a "pro" button/switch in the settings menu on the Pocket that'll show all the extra "pro" options throughout the interface on the Pocket when enabled?

Oh before I forget;
4. Manual Focus. :-)
2018-12-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Chris1a. Thank you for sharing this feature requests/information with us regarding the DJI Osmo Pocket. Rest assured I will forward this thread to our DJI R&D Team for further development of the DJI Osmo Pocket. Thank you for your support.
2018-12-17
Use props
rjwPhoto
lvl.3
United States

I'll add another...that may be more applicable to the MIMO app than the OP itself....

I went for a hike on a local trail yesterday and had the OP connected to the iPhone. Any time the view had any light colored areas in it, the onscreen controls became all but impossible to see with that white color. It would be nice to have an option to change the color of those controls to......say, neon green, or maybe some very bright red. Or perhaps several options would be better yet. I'm not overly concerned with the actual color...just as long as it makes all the controls visible on the phone's screen.
2018-12-17
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

All good ideas.

Items 2 & 3 could also be resolved if presets were available.  Preset on the phone and have them selectable on the device.

I've made a "Request Poll" posting here  (please vote and it will support your request):  https://forum.dji.com/thread-174702-1-1.html

2018-12-17
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Definitely 'Yes' to points 2 and 3. Especially when (IF!!!) the ND filters come out.
2018-12-17
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.4
Hong Kong

WebParrot Posted at 12-17 18:50
All good ideas.

Items 2 & 3 could also be resolved if presets were available.  Preset on the phone and have them selectable on the device.

I guess presets would work with shutter speed/frame rate combinations (180 degree rule), but ISO would pretty much always need to be auto, especially when using ND filters. Unless you had VERY controlled lighting.

I think it would be better if we could choose the frame rate options that are displayed in the device's menu if space is tight on such a small screen.

All good ideas though...
2018-12-17
Use props
DanielVieira
First Officer
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Manual Focus or Infinity Focus would be great....

Points 2 and 3 have my support!
2018-12-18
Use props
PG73
Second Officer
United Kingdom

+1 for Infinity Focus. For a device with such a small screen, this option is a necessity. I just want to be able to turn on the device and start filming without having to worry if what I'm capturing is blurred or not.
2018-12-18
Use props
deepnpisgah
lvl.1

United States

1) Reliable Phone Connection - but is that really a feature?
2) see #1
3) put pro mode settings on the Osmo not in the App. I don't want to have my phone out burning battery all the time but I want to shoot photos in DNG
4) OMG - kill the stupid autoplay tutorials in the app
5) see #1
2018-12-18
Use props
Cameleon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

rjwPhoto Posted at 12-17 16:38
I'll add another...that may be more applicable to the MIMO app than the OP itself....

I went for a hike on a local trail yesterday and had the OP connected to the iPhone. Any time the view had any light colored areas in it, the onscreen controls became all but impossible to see with that white color. It would be nice to have an option to change the color of those controls to......say, neon green, or maybe some very bright red. Or perhaps several options would be better yet. I'm not overly concerned with the actual color...just as long as it makes all the controls visible on the phone's screen.

Typically UI designers would use a contrasting colour to border the fill colour. In this case having a black/dark border would solve the issue (assuming enough pixels). That would be dark with light fill in which case you could see the shape of the slider in any lighting
2018-12-18
Use props
rjwPhoto
lvl.3
United States

Cameleon Posted at 12-18 06:47
Typically UI designers would use a contrasting colour to border the fill colour. In this case having a black/dark border would solve the issue (assuming enough pixels). That would be dark with light fill in which case you could see the shape of the slider in any lighting

Whatever is most efficient for them to implement and make some of the onscreen controls remain more easily visible on bright backgrounds works for me. I just tossed out the various color options as it was the first possibility that came to mind.

Thanks!
2018-12-18
Use props
mareklew
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4026 ft
United States

> 2. All frame rates and resolutions should be available on the device

second that, or, at least allow for a preset PAL/NTSC (so either 25/50fps or 30/60fps)

> 4) OMG - kill the stupid autoplay tutorials in the app

please do...
2018-12-18
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DanielVieira Posted at 12-18 01:11

I agree.  And most of these can be accomplished with soft/firmware updates.  Looking forward to future improvements after some of the bugs and idiosyncrasies are worked out :-)
2018-12-18
Use props
DanielVieira
First Officer
  • >>>
Portugal

Well if high end phones can do AFC without any problem (focus hunting)...lets hope DJI could do the same with the Pocket....
2018-12-18
Use props
Cameleon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

DanielVieira Posted at 12-18 08:06
Well if high end phones can do AFC without any problem (focus hunting)...lets hope DJI could do the same with the Pocket....

You'd be surprised how sophisticated processors and software in modern phones are. I'm guessing they are an order of magnitude over what DJI have done in the osmo, hence why people generally see better results from modern phones vs the osmo. iPhone X for example is more powerful than PCs from not too long ago. However, not sure how long an iPhone X battery would last on 4k recording ;)
2018-12-19
Use props
DanielVieira
First Officer
  • >>>
Portugal

Cameleon Posted at 12-19 06:28
You'd be surprised how sophisticated processors and software in modern phones are. I'm guessing they are an order of magnitude over what DJI have done in the osmo, hence why people generally see better results from modern phones vs the osmo. iPhone X for example is more powerful than PCs from not too long ago. However, not sure how long an iPhone X battery would last on 4k recording ;)

Thats true but Osmo Pocket is just a camera...only have to deal with that "problem" so...i think that DJI can handle it...if not :|
2018-12-19
Use props
michalnnnnn
lvl.1
Czechia

Please add AF-C/AF-S settings and EV correction (or full manual) direct into the device, not only in MIMO app.

Thank You very much.
2018-12-19
Use props
Chris1a
lvl.4
Sweden

+1 on the infinity focus if that's possible (on the device, as an option).

Some camera apps have a dedicated macro focus "button" where it'll basically reel in that focus as much as is possible and keep it there, until you tap on it again or refocus, so you can shoot those close ups without having the focus wandering of. A manual focus mode by using a up/down slider on the screen (like the tilt slider) would still be preferable, in my opinion. But then again, I've never used one on a 1" screen in full daylight, so a macro button or something similar might be more popular.

Is the 2x screen crop when doing 120fps a feature or a temporary thing? I would love to be able to punch in and out of the slow-mo while filming.

2018-12-19
Use props
Curt1591
Captain
Thailand

I really liked doing hyperlapses with my Osmo Mobile. I hope this will be available in an update

2018-12-19
Use props
hashiko
lvl.3
United States

Please please please make the beeping on start recording and end recording defeatable. Using the product in a quiet setting is impossible and defeats the descrete nature of such a promising product. The beeps draw too much attention, ruin candid moments and scares off animals, etc.
2018-12-19
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Curt1591 Posted at 12-19 20:11
I really liked doing hyperlapses with my Osmo Mobile. I hope this will be available in an update
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKYx1xEf9bk

You may want to repost this on the Osmo Mobile tab.  This thread is for the Pocket.
2018-12-20
Use props
Curt1591
Captain
Thailand

WebParrot Posted at 12-20 06:38
You may want to repost this on the Osmo Mobile tab.  This thread is for the Pocket.

I reposted it on one of the "future update" threads.

I already do hyperlapses on my Osmo Mobile. I would like to see this capability on the Pocket.
2018-12-20
Use props
BigtreeGuu
lvl.1
Taiwan

I just wish the cover which comes with osmo pocket could design better, has more function, not just a cover, a case. It should be a cover with stand function, or very short extension rod, or a samll tripod.
2018-12-21
Use props
tripleburst
Second Officer
United States

Please add
2.7K resolution
24 and 48fps

2018-12-21
Use props
Tossy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1525712 ft
Japan

Hello.

Please add below Features.

1) 4K timelapse,

2) Memory several PRO MODE settings so I can use Osmo pocket alone.
2018-12-21
Use props
JohnnyCashRules
New
United States

Faster intervals on timelapse mode please! Like 1 second or even 1/2 second
2018-12-21
Use props
C.Films
lvl.1
Canada

What I want is to control pro settings without my phone. Also, really wish I can change the joy stick to the left hand side of the screen and not the right.
2018-12-22
Use props
C.Films
lvl.1
Canada

Also, would love duel camera recording when plugged into a phone. Record on both the Pocket’s camera AND the Smartphone camera at the same time. Both displayed in slip screen on the phone display.

That way, if something goes wrong on one, you got the other as backup. Or use you pocket to record you, while the phone records what’s in front of you.
2018-12-22
Use props
Rogue0ne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 30322 ft
United Kingdom

I’d just like the features that were used in the promotional videos.

Story Mode
Cine-D colour profiles

DJI need to get those sorted before they look at anything else.
2018-12-23
Use props
fansa10d16a7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 222244 ft
  • >>>
United States

My $0.02....

1.  Add complete Pro mode to the device.  Hate having to use the camera.  
2.  If possible, please use HEVC for 2160/60 and 2160/48 so that you can transfer to the iPhone.  I understand that now you’re only using H.264 for all the resolutions/frame rates and that iPhone will not accept anything above 2160/30 unless it’s HEVC
3.  Please improve autofocus.  I’m really tired of seeing all the hunting/breathing.  Ruins shots
4.  Allow either dual record or the choice of recording to the phone or Osmo when the phone is connected
5.  Hyperlapse
6.  If you just won’t implement Pro mode on the device itself, at least stop making us turn pro mode off when you try to adjust the slightest thing when the Osmo is left in pro mode after being hooked up to a phone
2018-12-23
Use props
C.Films
lvl.1
Canada

Another feature I’d want is to have part of the screen on the phone turn pure white, to create a light when shooting self. A Pocket 2 should probably have a light on it for this reason, but in the meantime, if part of the screen was pure white, it might help create enough light for your face at night. Currently I gotta turn on the flashlight on my phone, and use it backwards to light my face.
2018-12-23
Use props
Chris1a
lvl.4
Sweden

When connected to a phone, it would be neat to have the flash on the phone and Osmo sync up with each other when taking a pic in low/medium light.

Speaking of...

I used the Osmo this Christmas to take pics, and I think I counted to 3 decent shots out of quite a few. First issue is obviously the focus, in typical indoor lighting here in the darkness of wintery Sweden, the camera really struggles and it's hard to know if you're focus is right, most likely it's not. Talking pictures here, not filming. Another thing I took a bunch of shots of a dog and a cat, and even the slightest of movement ended up fussy, like I'm doing a long exposure shot. I didn't bother to check all the values, just noticed when I got back home that I probably should've. Also major focus pumping outside with streetlights, decorations, buildings and snow illuminating the town, to the point where it made the footage shaky, Saving Private Ryan shaky:-). Everything was on auto the whole evening. Many feature requests (not just here) will likely help alleviate some of the issues.

A UI on the small screen giving you a heads up where the focus is currently at (like focus peeking, or similar). I really believe that can be done, without the UI turning into a mess.

Right now my main feature request is making the Osmo Pocket a more reliable camera, when it is operating in auto mode across the board. I want my 81 year old father to be able to bust out a Osmo Pocket and fire of a bunch of shots, and not get trash pictures. Basically, it needs to get smarter.

2018-12-24
Use props
Ryujin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 127543 ft
Russia

Add tracking mode to 4k resolution.
2018-12-26
Use props
The Rev
Captain
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
Germany

The second button on the Scroll wheel to set infinity focus as it doesn’t do much else
2019-1-12
Use props
Game Start
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Horizontal scrolling slider
Quick access to ISO/shutter speed
Mute the beeping sound

For the app they need to move the joystick to the left... how is anyone able to reach it from the right side...

2019-1-12
Use props
MagicRide
First Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

DanielVieira Posted at 2018-12-18 01:11

I think infinity focus just like the Mavic air would be the best option.
2019-1-12
Use props
engin ersoz
New
Turkey

I changed photo format as 3:2 but after turn off, turn on Osmo turned to 4:3 as default. Can I use 3:2 photo format as default.
2019-1-13
Use props
DanielVieira
First Officer
  • >>>
Portugal

MagicRide Posted at 1-12 21:10
I think infinity focus just like the Mavic air would be the best option.

Indeed!!!
2019-1-13
Use props
Chris1a
lvl.4
Sweden

Both options would be super sweet though. I don't know what is required from a cam to have infinity focus, but if possible, just add it. But only having that option means losing out on depth of field, macro shots, etc. This camera is next to impossible to focus properly in photo mode under less then ideal lightning, you keep tapping on the screen(s) but it just can't focus. My old iPhone 6S is light years beyond, yet that cam isn't perfect either obviously. Enter manual focus, usually done with a slider or wheel UI on a touch screen. How about being able to turn that wheel accessory into a focus wheel?

2019-1-13
Use props
nspusmc
lvl.1

United States

Surprised, I don't think I saw anyone mention automated pan yet.

Just like for "Motionlapse", I really wish I could set two (or more) points and have it automatically pan across.

I was actually really surprised this doesn't have that capability already. Or maybe it does and I'm missing it somewhere?
2019-2-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules