Ronin-S wobbly | jerky footage
2689 3 2018-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MuppetDesign
lvl.1

Netherlands

Hi guys,

After watching numerous video's about the Ronin-S, I decided to buy one. I've been a Glidecam HD 4000 user for over 5 years and I thought it would be time for something new.

There is a problem however. The footage that comes out of the camera when using the Ronin-S is far from what I expected. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? The camera shows excellent balance. I'm using a Panasonic GH4 with a Metabones Speedbooster and a Canon L 24-70 f/2.8 USMII (also tried with Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, after 5 years of Glidecam experience I know how to walk smoothly so that can't be the problem. I've searched the whole forum and internet for people with the same problem and I've tried the following:

- Tighten the knobs. (They just can't be more tight than this)
- Increased the pan strength to 20, 40, decreased to 10.
- Used various stiffness settings. Can't find the right one.
- Recalibrated
- Balance tested
- Autotuned on low, medium and high settings
- Decreased smoothtrack speed, increase deadband

Yes, the camera mounting plate and lens support are being used.

Please help me. If this problem persists I'm going back to my Glidecam. Because the Ronin-S is currently unusable.

Thanks!

Test footage

The motor parameters can be found with the attached images.

IMG_4768.jpg
IMG_4769.jpg
IMG_4770.jpg
IMG_4767.PNG
2018-12-17
Use props
Tin Borovčak
New

Croatia

Hi, I jave the same issue...
Have you find how to fix it?

Thanks
2019-2-28
Use props
Alfri951
New

Italy

Hi guys!
Three full days I've been trying to solve micro jittery footage of my Ronin S and it seems I found the solution. My Sony A7III was set to 4k/25fps (I am in Italy) - always jittery, I tried 1080 (my camera was actually set to S&Q slow motion, but ended up giving me somehow regular speed footage) and I got "yuppiii" smooth footage. Will try it hundred more times, just to be sure that this is the cause of the shakiness. Will try different fps, to find out what is a limit. At least finally step forward from frustrating experience of hundreds of RS users including me!
2021-11-8
Use props
djiuser_iPzNZDjQ3Rdm
New

Romania

Alfri951 Posted at 2021-11-8 06:04
Hi guys!
Three full days I've been trying to solve micro jittery footage of my Ronin S and it seems I found the solution. My Sony A7III was set to 4k/25fps (I am in Italy) - always jittery, I tried 1080 (my camera was actually set to S&Q slow motion, but ended up giving me somehow regular speed footage) and I got "yuppiii" smooth footage. Will try it hundred more times, just to be sure that this is the cause of the shakiness. Will try different fps, to find out what is a limit. At least finally step forward from frustrating experience of hundreds of RS users including me!
Tried 1080, same.. are u sure that was the fix?
2022-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules