Time lapse gets interrupted by auto power off
4898 13 2018-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jellycow
lvl.1
United States

When I try to do timelapse using a stand-alone Osmo Pocket, it gets interrupted by Pocket's Auto Power Off feature.  Since the maximum auto power off timeout is set at 15 minutes, that's the max I can record...  This seems like a bug to me.

• Is there a way to turn off auto power off?  Minimum I see is 1 minute and max is 15 minutes.
  • Shouldn't Pocket's firmware be aware of the fact that motion timelapse is running, so it should maybe turn the LCD off to save power but not turn the unit off?

I'm running the latest firmware.  I have the Pocket standing on a make-shift USB-C stand with power so it won't run out of battery.  I'm trying to do a motion time lapse.  In the future, I might look into a stand like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C4G2M67 But eventually I might just spring for the wireless dock.

(Also, apologies for posting a reply into another thread...I finally figured out how to become Level 1 so I can start a new thread)

2018-12-18
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

Mine does not power off during timelapes.. I have done several 1/2 hour long ones.
2018-12-18
Use props
Xathros
lvl.3
Flight distance : 745935 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have completed several 1 hour motion lapses so far with no issue.  Just wish the charge port wasn't on the bottom so I could plug it in for really long duration lapses.  Without being plugged in, I'm sure it will shutdown around the 2 hour mark when the battery is depleted.

-Xathros
2018-12-18
Use props
jellycow
lvl.1
United States

Strange.  I tried it few times and it keeps on shutting down at 15 minutes.  Only difference is mine was stand-alone AND plugged into the power (on a USB-C stand).  I'll try it now without it plugged in and see what happens.  Then I'll try it again with it plugged in to see if it makes a difference.
2018-12-18
Use props
jellycow
lvl.1
United States

Xathros Posted at 12-18 12:21
I have completed several 1 hour motion lapses so far with no issue.  Just wish the charge port wasn't on the bottom so I could plug it in for really long duration lapses.  Without being plugged in, I'm sure it will shutdown around the 2 hour mark when the battery is depleted.

-Xathros

Are you doing time lapse using the Mimo app or just with the Pocket stand-alone.  I just did two more tries with Pocket stand-alone. Batteries fully charged.  Not plugged into a USB-C charging stand.  Both for 30 minutes motion lapse.  One stopped at 10.5 minutes.  Next one stopped at 24.4 minutes.  I can count the frames of images recorded so it's easy to tell when it turned off.  This is with latest firmware.  So I'm not having any luck so far.  I'm going to try it with it connected to the Mimo app now and see if it helps.
2018-12-18
Use props
Xathros
lvl.3
Flight distance : 745935 ft
  • >>>
United States

All of mine were completed standalone.  Both Timelapse and Motionlapse.  All on fully charged battery and not plugged in.  Not in Pro Mode.
-Xathros

2018-12-18
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

jellycow Posted at 12-18 12:28
Strange.  I tried it few times and it keeps on shutting down at 15 minutes.  Only difference is mine was stand-alone AND plugged into the power (on a USB-C stand).  I'll try it now without it plugged in and see what happens.  Then I'll try it again with it plugged in to see if it makes a difference.

I have not tried it with the pocket plugged in because I don't have a stand or clamp to mount it on.
2018-12-18
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

I've done two 2hr timelapse/motion lapse and they both went til the battery was dead. DIdnt power off. Waiting on a stand so that I can power it for longer ones, and I'll report back how it behaves with it being powered. But on battery it goes until the battery dies if you leave it.
2018-12-18
Use props
jellycow
lvl.1
United States

Cameleon Posted at 12-18 14:11
I've done two 2hr timelapse/motion lapse and they both went til the battery was dead. DIdnt power off. Waiting on a stand so that I can power it for longer ones, and I'll report back how it behaves with it being powered. But on battery it goes until the battery dies if you leave it.

Maybe mine is a dud then.  I wonder if it's possible my unit is overheating?  My attempts at Timelapse stops at random times -- but overall, they stop earlier when the unit is in a USB-C dock charging and operating (stops 10-15minutes) instead of running on battery (22 - 28 minutes).  I haven't been able to get full 30 minutes off of it even once.

I finally tried it with the Mimo app and it was a disaster.  3-4 trials all ended at the camera disconnecting and resetting itself within 30-40 seconds.  I uploaded a video of this here:  https://www.amazon.com/clouddriv ... NUN7nrQCi2j7T9eioO7  At about the 40th second...it just disconnects itself and resets...then beeps.   At least it doesn't turn off...but I'm not sure how this is any better.

Only thing left for me to try is a new memory card.  I'm currently using a SanDisk Ultra 64GB (C10, U-I) card.  Hopefully I'll get my Samsung Evo (U-III) card today and see if that helps.

If not, my guess is I have a dud unit that's overheating or something and I need to get mine replaced...

2018-12-18
Use props
fans1171f551
lvl.1

United States

Mine stops randomly as well... first time I used the time-lapse and it worked perfect second time its stops and continues to stop all the time now...

Totally strange... not sure why this is happening.
2018-12-18
Use props
jellycow
lvl.1
United States

Just got my Samsung U-3 card.  We'll see if it helps.  Running a 1 hour test and the unit itself is sufficiently cool enough (if it's the heat).  It's also sitting on a USB-C dock charging while it's doing the time lapse.

Now that I know this isn't related to the auto power off, I wish I can update the thread header...
2018-12-18
Use props
jellycow
lvl.1
United States

fans1171f551 Posted at 12-18 15:21
Mine stops randomly as well... first time I used the time-lapse and it worked perfect second time its stops and continues to stop all the time now...

Totally strange... not sure why this is happening.

IT WAS THE CARD!  I just did a motion lapse of 1 hour while the unit was plugged into power and charging (more heat) using the new Samsung U-3 card and it ran without a problem.  I'll try few more but so far, it's looking like Osmo Pocket didn't like the Sandisk Ultra U-1 card...even though spec wise it shouldn't have been a problem.  

I was doing motion lapses at 4k, every 4 seconds...so even an average card should've been able to write it fast enough so it's weird (4k jpg = ~4MB each; image every 4 seconds needed 8Mb/s to write, which isn't all that intensive)

BTW, I know Osmo time/motion lapses are 1080/30p and it will not do it in 4k, but at least it saves all the original images in 4k if I ever wanted to assemble it myself.
2018-12-18
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Xathros Posted at 12-18 12:21
I have completed several 1 hour motion lapses so far with no issue.  Just wish the charge port wasn't on the bottom so I could plug it in for really long duration lapses.  Without being plugged in, I'm sure it will shutdown around the 2 hour mark when the battery is depleted.

-Xathros

Exactly. no thought put into the design of this. Everything uses one port and no replaceable battery so didn't it occur that the port will have power hooked up?
2018-12-18
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

jellycow Posted at 12-18 16:48
IT WAS THE CARD!  I just did a motion lapse of 1 hour while the unit was plugged into power and charging (more heat) using the new Samsung U-3 card and it ran without a problem.  I'll try few more but so far, it's looking like Osmo Pocket didn't like the Sandisk Ultra U-1 card...even though spec wise it shouldn't have been a problem.  

I was doing motion lapses at 4k, every 4 seconds...so even an average card should've been able to write it fast enough so it's weird (4k jpg = ~4MB each; image every 4 seconds needed 8Mb/s to write, which isn't all that intensive)

I was just thinking maybe it was the card. As you say, its a pretty pitiful speed it needs to hit but C10/U1 is not fast these days and if the card is no good for burst speeds then maybe the images are stacking up and running out of buffer on the OP.

I'd report this to DJI support and ask how you can tell if the buffer is full as it should give you an error so you know to use a better card! Watching your vid it clearly gives no error and just resets itself.
2018-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules