Is now a good time to buy a Mavic Pro 2?
2435 26 2018-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Guys, for those that already made th investment, has it been a good purchase?

Is it much better than the original Pro?

Have all th initial teething problems been fixed?

Have some of the missing features been implemented?

Is it now a good time to buy one? Love my Air and Pro (1) and I’ll be selling my Pro if the feedback is positive. Please advise dudes. Much appreciated.
2018-12-18
Use props
salmonshark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 206352 ft
United States

I am interested in this too...  I have been on the fence about upgrading or adding a M2P to my collection....  The adjustable aperture is very appealing...

SalmonShark
2018-12-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day ShadyDealer. Thank you for choosing DJI. The DJI Mavic 2 Pro is one of the best done that DJI has to offer. I will be providing you a link where you can compare the following drones to see there differences and advantage for each other. I hope this can help you. Thank you for your support and happy holidays.

2018-12-18
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks Stephen, yeah kind of get the differences in spec but just want some feedback from real time users. I know some of the features from he original Pro were missing on the 2 initially, precision landed etc.
Thanks though, it’s a good comparison
2018-12-18
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

I also own the original pro. In my opinion the camera quality leaves nothing to really compare. I can capture photos and videos from the same locations and conditions of the original mavic that I used from its launch date and the difference is “daylight and dark”!  Seriously!  

As for the other features that are slowly being added. Well, although most of those features are coming to the platform, I really don’t use much of them anyway.  Frankly speaking,  I am able to get the shots in nearly all lighting conditions now, when I was not with the original mavic.
2018-12-18
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

The original mavic blew me away with its image quality and stability but believe it or not dji managed to make the mavic 2 even more stable and in my opinion the camera quality is almost professional, especially the color accuracy. The images and videos look fantastic, as far as issues? I never had any. There are a few things missing but litchi app does a nice job of picking up DJI’s slack, I really miss digital filter but I bought a set of polar pro Nd filters so all good now. I compare the old mavic and the new mavic 2 to the old iPhone 5 to the new iPhone X.( By the way I bought the mavic 2 with the hasslehoff camera) what sucks is you buy the mavic 2 then the mavic 3 comes out and so on......
2018-12-18
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

M Stuart K Posted at 12-18 10:50
I also own the original pro. In my opinion the camera quality leaves nothing to really compare. I can capture photos and videos from the same locations and conditions of the original mavic that I used from its launch date and the difference is “daylight and dark”!  Seriously!  

As for the other features that are slowly being added. Well, although most of those features are coming to the platform, I really don’t use much of them anyway.  Frankly speaking,  I am able to get the shots in nearly all lighting conditions now, when I was not with the original mavic.

Thanks fella, that’s he sort stuff I need. Sounds positive. The camera is obviously the main reason why I’d buy one so appreciate your thoughts. Have an opportunity to collect one tomorrow brand new with fly more pack so don’t want to regret it.
2018-12-18
Use props
flightlogicRV9
lvl.3
United States

salmonshark Posted at 12-18 10:28
I am interested in this too...  I have been on the fence about upgrading or adding a M2P to my collection....  The adjustable aperture is very appealing...

SalmonShark

The improvements on this airframe sold me. I don't need the zoom and wanted the best camera available. I find the flights as stable as can be.  The sensors give me a bit more confidence that I won't hit an obstacle. That is always my biggest fear. I never go out of sight.... as I just can't watch my money fly over the hill out of view.  Just me.  Anyway, the build quality is excellent.  I can still pack it on an airline trip and get the job done though it is a bit bigger.  I suggest you find your best price, sell the earlier ones during the holiday while prices are still solid.  Go for it !!!   Life is short
2018-12-18
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

https://forum.dji.com/thread-175132-1-1.html
2018-12-18
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I own the platinum which is a wonderfull drone, i flew with it now for 1 year. Sinds 1 month i also have the mp2 ( not the zoom) . The camera and stability of this drone is super.i will keep the mpp as backup. The only thing i dont like of the mp2 that according to dji you will have to calibrate the vision sensors after around 100 take offs, you will get a messsge in the go app. But yes its time for you to get mp2. Its a good time.
2018-12-18
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

The Pro2 is very good but its certainly not withouth faults.

If you are not prepared to spend considerable time in post processing to get acceptable results and have the necessary computing power to handle an h265 workflow you may prefer the zoom.

Both fantastic products but really aimed at different users.
2018-12-18
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

I'm very much like you but I think we are in an interesting period just now. Rumours are rife the Phantom 5 is coming out. I'm really after as close to DSLR quality as I can get. Has been lots of reports of edge softness on the MP2 and tricky files but from what I have seen you can get around that to some extent using special postprocessing (try running a minimally processed MP2 image through AI Gigapixel and you will see what I mean)

So I'm at the point now that I can wait maybe another 6 months and when (if) the Phantom 5 comes out with rumoured interchangeable lens and presumably superior optics I can then compare the two and make a call.

The way I see it portability isn't a big factor for me. You can't take these things into National Parks in New Zealand so most of images will be on car trips and short walks.

Cheers
2018-12-18
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

My guess is a new Phantom, whenever it will come out, will be twice the cost of the Zoom.

Personally I hope it will have the form factor of a foldable mavic, just bigger, rather than the odd look of the current Phantom 4, a one inch sensor with improved optics, processor and zoom combined. - If so I will consider it.

This would make a clear distinction between it and the next level Inspire which offers interchangeable lens options and better sensor yet.

This would also mean DJI could perhaps issue a firmware update for the current Pro2 to increase video quality without it interfering productwise with the next level Phantom.

2018-12-18
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’m specifically looking at the Mav Pro 2 not the Zoom edition. Calibration seems a bit of a pain but long as It’s do’able without additional equipment.

As,for exceptanle results with regards to video etc, it’s my u derstanding that the MP2 produces phenomal quality images and video straight out the box without heavy and extensive time/equipment.

2018-12-18
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dronie1965 Posted at 12-18 11:53
I own the platinum which is a wonderfull drone, i flew with it now for 1 year. Sinds 1 month i also have the mp2 ( not the zoom) . The camera and stability of this drone is super.i will keep the mpp as backup. The only thing i dont like of the mp2 that according to dji you will have to calibrate the vision sensors after around 100 take offs, you will get a messsge in the go app. But yes its time for you to get mp2. Its a good time.

Is that both the Zoom and MP2? Calibration? What equipment is needed to do this?
2018-12-18
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

flightlogicRV9 Posted at 12-18 11:02
The improvements on this airframe sold me. I don't need the zoom and wanted the best camera available. I find the flights as stable as can be.  The sensors give me a bit more confidence that I won't hit an obstacle. That is always my biggest fear. I never go out of sight.... as I just can't watch my money fly over the hill out of view.  Just me.  Anyway, the build quality is excellent.  I can still pack it on an airline trip and get the job done though it is a bit bigger.  I suggest you find your best price, sell the earlier ones during the holiday while prices are still solid.  Go for it !!!   Life is short

Thanks dude. That’s what I’m thinking. Why not sort of thing! Should get £600 for mine at least. It’s mint and has loads of extras and fly more combo etc.

Have you had to mess about with calibration or lengthy post production tasks?
2018-12-18
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

ShadyDealer Posted at 12-18 15:35
I’m specifically looking at the Mav Pro 2 not the Zoom edition. Calibration seems a bit of a pain but long as It’s do’able without additional equipment.

As,for exceptanle results with regards to video etc, it’s my u derstanding that the MP2 produces phenomal quality images and video straight out the box without heavy and extensive time/equipment.

Depends where you are coming from. If it is a Phantom 4 then you could be dissappointed with the Pro2's Video rendering but you will like the portability.

Its all about compromises (and a little DJI goodwill to update improvements to the Pro2)

A superb drone in every other aspect.
2018-12-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Go for it!
2018-12-19
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

ShadyDealer Posted at 12-18 15:36
Is that both the Zoom and MP2? Calibration? What equipment is needed to do this?

I am not sure if this also applies to the zoom. But i guess it will. You need assistent latest version for mp2 on a pc , laptop or mac(book)
It will be ackward if you are out in the fields or on vacation and you do not have a pc or macbook with you.. You use to be able to to a quick vision calibration via de go app, but thats not possible anymore( in spite of it still mentionned in the manual. I guess you still can fly with vision sensors switched of and fo the calibration when you are home again
2018-12-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

mavic 2 pro is masterful... now is a good time as any to get it if you have the money to afford it.   mavic 2 zoom is a kit im also interested in because i like the ability to zoom optically and would be very useful for me..

im personally going to wait out mavic 2 pro a bit longer i really do want it i was considering buying myself one sooner but i cant..  im surprised, been fewer issues with the mavic 2  than normal for dji just a few minor issues, DJi did a really really good job with it.   but unless i make a solid career out of it, my limit is around $1000 mark currently.  so ill either wait out till dji reduces the pricing a bit, or wait out till refurbished models happen or i get some general discounts...sometimes i forget i have points at some store and i find out with my points i can get decent chunk of percentage off..
2018-12-19
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

ShadyDealer Posted at 12-18 15:35

No. To make full use of the Dlog and H265 you will need CONSIDERABLE computer power.

Multi Core i9 or at least i7 processor, separate graphics card, 16gb Ram minimum for efficient processing.

You can do it with less but you will be WAITING and look at choppy footage.

Many laptops will just fall over and 'die'.

Of course, you can use H264 8bit but you negate some of the benefits of the Pro2.

Its not DJI's 'fault' just a result of the complex rendering of the more advanced codec.
2018-12-19
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

From day one was the best time to buy the M2pro.   You’ve been missing out
2018-12-19
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1 Posted at 12-19 02:58
No. To make full use of the Dlog and H265 you will need CONSIDERABLE computer power.

Multi Core i9 or at least i7 processor, separate graphics card, 16gb Ram minimum for efficient processing.

I found this out the hard way, but it’s all good now either keep using the wife’s computer or buy a newer and better computer.  
2018-12-19
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

ShadyDealer Posted at 12-18 15:38
Thanks dude. That’s what I’m thinking. Why not sort of thing! Should get £600 for mine at least. It’s mint and has loads of extras and fly more combo etc.

Have you had to mess about with calibration or lengthy post production tasks?

ShadyDealer: I have flown my M2P since launch date and I have not received any messages about calibrating anything.  Additionally; I cannot speak for the true pixal peakers (professionals) but I find just the opposite: meaning-for most of my footage I don't have to do anything at all to it as it shoots great pictures and video straight from the card, even on auto mode.  You do have to know how to frame your shots in terms of lighting but other than that I really don't conduct much post work at all.  
2018-12-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1 Posted at 12-19 02:58

depends how you are handling rendering on your computer and which apps.

i know AMD hardware natively supports HEVC/H.265 encoding and decoding on their GPUs since RX 400 series. so pretty much RX-460 - RX-580, Vega 56, Vega 64, Vega FE as well as Vega 3, Vega 6, Vega 8, Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 16, Vega 20 integrated graphics. and hybrid decoding and encoding of H.265/HEVC support all the way back HD 7000 series.. however the sour bit of info is many video editing apps apps only support AMD via OpenCL or CPU... means vastly slower than it could be :/  i wish AMD would come out with a API that could just drop in replace Open CL for these applications because OpenCL on AMD isnt the best...  maybe AMD will hopefully make a vulkan based replacement to take full advantage of the onboard capabilities like video engines, and sync compute capabilities and insane FP compute potential .

Nvidia support H.265/HEVC decoding on natively on GTX 1000 series and UP + MX150. and native encoding only added into 1080, 1080Ti, and RTX series GPUs (thus far). with hybrid decoding supported back on maxwell (GTX-900 series + GTX-750Ti ) and hybrid encoding not supported at all..have to use FP compute (CUDA on Nvidia) if no solid solution.....  

intel's iGPUs only support native decoding on the HD 600 series and up.. with encoding still kinda mystery officially, however i believe encoding is hybrid function of HD 600+ combines FP computer with video render engines..
2018-12-19
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Some great pointers. I’ve got a decent MacBook Pro that should be able to handle th short video clips in H265, I don’t shoot feature length movies so imagine ot would be alright.

Will be collecting it tomorrow now, just need to hide it from the wife
2018-12-19
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So I’ve picked a Mav Pro 2 and fly mor combo kit but haven’t opened it yet through fear of reprisals regarding the moronic behaviour from users near Gatwick airport! Absolutely is a major concern that UKlegislation will now ramp up and effectively spoil it for genuinely sensible users. I should be pleased about my purchase
2018-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules