1528 41 2018-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1297612 ft
  • >>>
United States

So lately I've been having issues with my video on my computer which was making editing in DaVinci Resolve almost impossible. This afternoon I decided to try Adobe Premier and threw a short video together. I will say that AP is a bit less complicated than DR. Anyway, I guess I can learn to like it.
Here it is...

2018-12-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice to see.
I have to say I loved Davinci on paper, but in real life it was too much for me.
Part of it was just on me (not willing to invest enough time).
The rendering was amazingly fast btw.
Hope the next version will be better.
2018-12-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great looking vid.
2018-12-19
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

I use premier elements (not premier pro) and recently upgraded to 2019 from 2018. Adobe claim they have simplified the latest interface. I would urge newcomers to avoid the 2019 version.
There seems to be the belief that people new to video editing need everything done for them, like letting the software make all edits itself. All the user does is click a button. It does not work. Seriously, you will have no control and end up with a frightful video.
The simplified interface in quick mode is so alien that I can't figure it out. You won't get help worth having from a manual of forum. For example, only the first and last frame of a clip are shown. How can you find where to cut. Using the scrubber is hopeless because the frame under it might take several seconds to show.
The 2018 version works very well and adequately fast.
2018-12-19
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 12-18 23:15
Nice to see.
I have to say I loved Davinci on paper, but in real life it was too much for me.
Part of it was just on me (not willing to invest enough time).

I like DR a lot. It took a lot of time to learn it and I still have a long way to go with it. My hardware just doesn't want to cooperate lately. I can get used to PP.
2018-12-19
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 12-19 00:37
Great looking vid.

Thanks Andy.
2018-12-19
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 12-19 00:53
I use premier elements (not premier pro) and recently upgraded to 2019 from 2018. Adobe claim they have simplified the latest interface. I would urge newcomers to avoid the 2019 version.
There seems to be the belief that people new to video editing need everything done for them, like letting the software make all edits itself. All the user does is click a button. It does not work. Seriously, you will have no control and end up with a frightful video.
The simplified interface in quick mode is so alien that I can't figure it out. You won't get help worth having from a manual of forum. For example, only the first and last frame of a clip are shown. How can you find where to cut. Using the scrubber is hopeless because the frame under it might take several seconds to show.

Thanks for your insight. PP worked great for me and as I stated earlier that I use DR a lot. I was quite surprised when I started PP as to how easy it was to put together a 1 minute video.
2018-12-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kevin Halle Posted at 12-19 02:39
I like DR a lot. It took a lot of time to learn it and I still have a long way to go with it. My hardware just doesn't want to cooperate lately. I can get used to PP.

I think some 'things' are just not optimal for me in DR.
For example: in Sony Vegas Pro, you can just move a clip over a previous one and it will automatically assume you will want to add a transition.
I use this a lot, but in DR I have to (to my best knowledge) add transitions manually.
Also a lot of options require different menu's and sub menu's in DR. (they are rather hidden).
Now I could get used to it probably, but that will take me a lot of time.
And I found out some of the more advanced features are not available in the 'free' version.
Mainly in the color grading if I remember correctly.
Next I also got some bugs on the rendering part (although it was really fast on DR).
So I'm not sure what my edit software will be.
For now Sony Vegas Pro is the one for me. Even though rendering takes way too long.
2018-12-19
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 12-19 02:45
I think some 'things' are just not optimal for me in DR.
For example: in Sony Vegas Pro, you can just move a clip over a previous one and it will automatically assume you will want to add a transition.
I use this a lot, but in DR I have to (to my best knowledge) add transitions manually.

There is nothing automatic in DR that I'm aware of. Everything I've done in it is manual. Color grading is available in DR15. It is a lot more intergrated than previous versions. You can do a lot with the free version.
From what I've done so far and what I've seen in PP, I'm liking it.

I've never tried SVP.
2018-12-19
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Germany

Hi, coming from APP and going to DR 15

I think APP my be a little bit more intuitive like you say, but the Grading part in DR is as easy as APP I would say.
In DR 15.X.X it have been some problems and errors with Hardware, yes.
I think most of them are solved now in 15.2.2? (The version that was released some days ago 13:th of december) .

It is a ladder to climb on agree with you monty, APP is more popular and spread so there is more tutorials I think but for my needs I stick with DR since its less expensive.
2018-12-19
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Flybee Posted at 12-19 03:08
Hi, coming from APP and going to DR 15

I think APP my be a little bit more intuitive like you say, but the Grading part in DR is as easy as APP I would say.

I might have to download the latest version then. Yes, color grading is easy in DR and that is one of the things I like about V15.
2018-12-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kevin Halle Posted at 12-19 02:49
There is nothing automatic in DR that I'm aware of. Everything I've done in it is manual. Color grading is available in DR15. It is a lot more intergrated than previous versions. You can do a lot with the free version.

SVP offers very fast editing and suits my needs so far.
DR is way better in the color grading and that stuff, but the free version has some major limitations (also 15).
I don't remember which ones, but I ran into it when trying to make a motion tracker for titles and also on color grading in a certain way.
There is a 'comparison' sheet online somewhere.
2018-12-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, Sony Vegas Pro is really fast when it comes to basic editing.
2018-12-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

https://flavioggarcia.com/2018/0 ... ersion-limitations/
And there are more limitations that I don't remember right now.

Who knows what v16 will bring
2018-12-19
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 12-19 03:24
https://flavioggarcia.com/2018/04/24/davinci-resolve-free-version-limitations/
And there are more limitations that I don't remember right now.

We'll just have to wait and see. Thanks for the info Monty.
2018-12-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kevin Halle Posted at 12-19 03:27
We'll just have to wait and see. Thanks for the info Monty.

Yes indeed.
Still amazing what you can do with a 'free' product!
And I will definitely give it another try someday.
2018-12-19
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 12-19 03:31
Yes indeed.
Still amazing what you can do with a 'free' product!
And I will definitely give it another try someday.

That's what I like about it and for what you get once you learn it, it's pretty impressive. I like DR and I sure hope the issues I have with it get resolved. I don't mind paying for PP but I like free better too.
2018-12-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kevin Halle Posted at 12-19 03:36
That's what I like about it and for what you get once you learn it, it's pretty impressive. I like DR and I sure hope the issues I have with it get resolved. I don't mind paying for PP but I like free better too.

Yes, I am willing to pay for software, but APP is way too expensive for my usage.
Still waiting for an affordable alternative.
2018-12-19
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 12-19 03:46
Yes, I am willing to pay for software, but APP is way too expensive for my usage.
Still waiting for an affordable alternative.

I understand that.
2018-12-19
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Sweden

what is your hardware problem? Or what is the effect that you are suffering from now? when you say it don't work as expected?
2018-12-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Plus I don't like subscription based software.
(I understand why they move to that, but I don't like it at all)

A good example for me is Affinity Photo.
It is almost as good (at least for me) as Photoshop (I have been using Photoshop since 2001, long lasting trial versions ) but  costs € 50,- or so (one time only).
So as soon as I see a good paid alternative  for SVP I will check that out.
2018-12-19
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Flybee Posted at 12-19 03:56
what is your hardware problem? Or what is the effect that you are suffering from now? when you say it don't work as expected?

My video is wayyyyy to choppy editing timlines. Trying to use the scrubber is impossible. It started when my laptop did it's last windows update several weeks ago. I've tried messing with video settings and nothing seems to fix the issue.
2018-12-19
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 12-19 03:56
Plus I don't like subscription based software.
(I understand why they move to that, but I don't like it at all)

I can understand that.
2018-12-19
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Germany

Kevin Halle Posted at 12-19 04:01
My video is wayyyyy to choppy editing timlines. Trying to use the scrubber is impossible. It started when my laptop did it's last windows update several weeks ago. I've tried messing with video settings and nothing seems to fix the issue.

OK, do you create proxys?

If not, pls start, set the proxys to Shq or something like that, ie low quality. It will work anyways.
I assume you are on a windows machine

then set the play back mode to quarter or half,

Set the "pre rendering" on smart.

As an example
2018-12-19
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice vid.
2018-12-19
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Flybee Posted at 12-19 05:55

If not, pls start, set the proxys to Shq or something like that, ie low quality. It will work anyways.

I did all that. Still didn't help. I got too frustrated with it. I'm not giving up on it though. I'll try these suggestions again. I might have missed something.
2018-12-19
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Flybee Posted at 12-19 05:55

I did all that. Still didn't help. I got too frustrated with it. I'm not giving up on it though. I'll try these suggestions again. I might have missed something.
2018-12-19
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thank you Woe.
2018-12-19
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Germany

Kevin Halle Posted at 12-19 06:20
I did all that. Still didn't help. I got too frustrated with it. I'm not giving up on it though. I'll try these suggestions again. I might have missed something.

you have to check every time you open a project that the settings are there, cause it's not "sticky". I had the same issues but now it works OK I would say. I don't know what kind of hardware you are running on.
2018-12-19
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Flybee Posted at 12-19 06:43
you have to check every time you open a project that the settings are there, cause it's not "sticky". I had the same issues but now it works OK I would say. I don't know what kind of hardware you are running on.

I'm running a laptop with Win10, AMD Radeon R7 4g, 16GB Ram with a 7th Gen Intel I7 Processor. I didn't change the settings for every project. Probably the step I missed. I'll have to give it a shot tonight.
2018-12-19
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Germany

Kevin Halle Posted at 12-19 07:08
I'm running a laptop with Win10, AMD Radeon R7 4g, 16GB Ram with a 7th Gen Intel I7 Processor. I didn't change the settings for every project. Probably the step I missed. I'll have to give it a shot tonight.

You have better hardware then I do, so you should be succesful.

Yes that is annoying when you have to fix this every time you open your project.

good luck and hope it works out for you.
2018-12-19
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Flybee Posted at 12-19 07:18

Yes that is annoying when you have to fix this every time you open your project.

Thank you and I appreciate the assistance. I will try this tonight and see what happens.
2018-12-19
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're welcome
2018-12-19
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Flybee Posted at 12-19 07:18

I have success. I've attached a test video with DaVinci. Smoother now in editing than it ever was.  Thank you for your help.

2018-12-19
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Great video, nice work
2018-12-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're welcome Kevin
2018-12-20
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jacksonnai Posted at 12-19 23:30
Great video, nice work

Thank you.
2018-12-20
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Sweden

Kevin Halle Posted at 12-19 13:19
I have success. I've attached a test video with DaVinci. Smoother now in editing than it ever was.  Thank you for your help.

https://youtu.be/36Fd49q8H54

so good to hear, this is what this forum is about, helping each other.

Can't watch this for some reason,

happy and safe flying.
2018-12-20
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Flybee Posted at 12-20 03:43
so good to hear, this is what this forum is about, helping each other.

Can't watch this for some reason,

Here is a direct link. Hopefully it works for you.

2018-12-20
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

You're welcome
2018-12-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules