Almost gone
1165 9 2018-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ercoupedriver
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1075778 ft
United States

I was flying the other day and lost control of my phantom that I have flown now for over 2 years.  It was airborne for about 5 min. when it start fling very erratic.  Lost gimbal control and the video feed went to crap.  I was able to turn it around and headed back to my location.  RTH wound not work.  As it got closer it made a couple of tight circles and I thought that was it but regained some control.  It was all over the sky.  I did manage to get it down on the ground but it kept wanting to take off again.  It tilted over and stopped, NO DAMAGE.  The next day I started to try and figure out what happened.  Now you know its Christmas and I had received an early gift from my wife.  It was a watch, A SMARTWATCH.  I am always careful to turn on airplane mode on my phone but forgot about the watch.  Your right, it connects to the phone using Bluetooth.  I tested it today and the watch does cause strong interference.  I have flown it again with no problems.  Just wanted to let you folks know about this and to remember to kill the Bluetooth connection on your new smart watch that I am sure some of you are going to get for Christmas.  
2018-12-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Ercoupedriver. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We will learn a lot from this information you have shared with us today. Thank you for your support and happy holidays.
2018-12-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I always insist, that people fly in airplane mode, but not only for interference situations.

Glad you were capable enough to bring her down safe. Obviously an unforeseen situation.

Thanks for sharing it here.

RedHotPoker

2018-12-19
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Nice save and thanks for the heads up.
2018-12-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It is extremely unlikely that your watch had any effect at all on your flight.
Interference does not cause erratic flying.
Your recorded flight data would probably point to the actual cause of the issue.
2018-12-19
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1297612 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is good to know information. Thanks for sharing your story.
2018-12-19
Use props
Joszhe Tosa
Second Officer

United States

Looks like those watches are not so smart after all huh?

iPods can cause interference issues with pacemakers and these are small compared to other electronic devices so it is plausible.
2018-12-22
Use props
Al S. Alice's Handler
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50259 ft
United States

Kevin I agree with Labroides on this. Might be a good idea to look at the logs or post them. I don't fully disagree with your assessment, but it would be nice to know exactly what happened and what was affected.  The logs should show all.
2018-12-22
Use props
Gillega
lvl.2
United States

Thanks - Great to have individuals share their experiences even if it's just for awareness of possible cause and effects
2018-12-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I suspect your issue, because of the symptoms and actions you describe, was suffering from a compromised compass issue, not a radio interference issue. You could confirm that if you uploaded the flight data to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

2018-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules