Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark Over Water?
1747 10 2018-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheGemster18
lvl.3
Flight distance : 359413 ft
United States

Happy holidays all my fellow drone Pilots! I have a quick question: I have been hearing a lot of people talking about not flying their Spark overwater because of the downward VPS sensor not picking up the water and causing the spark to drop out of the sky and crash into the water. Is there any truth to this? And if so, is there a way 2 shut down the downward sensor so that you can fly safely over water? Thank you in advance. Jolly
2018-12-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day  TheGemster18. Thank you for the inquiry. For you to avoid accident on your aircraft and battery performance are subject to environmental factors such as air density and temperature. Please do not fly closely above reflective surfaces such as water or snow, as these terrains may affect the performance of the vision system. Thanks for understanding.

2018-12-19
Use props
Hddeuce
Second Officer
Flight distance : 128261 ft
United States

I have flown over water often and have never had any issues.  If you want to do so and feel comfortable, stay at a relatively high altitude...around 20+ feet or so and you'll be fine.  I have however, flown a couple feet over water without any issues.
2018-12-19
Use props
TheGemster18
lvl.3
United States

Ok, thank you.   For your quick response.   I do have one more question if I may,  is there any truth to the rumor that if you fly your Spark for a period of time in Sport mode..that it will confuse the IMU, and switch the Spark into Atti Mode?  Should I be worried about flying in Sport mode?  Tks. Again.  Joey.
2018-12-19
Use props
TheGemster18
lvl.3
United States

Hddeuce Posted at 12-19 11:04
I have flown over water often and have never had any issues.  If you want to do so and feel comfortable, stay at a relatively high altitude...around 20+ feet or so and you'll be fine.  I have however, flown a couple feet over water without any issues.

Is there a way to disable the VPS? to avoid it detecting the reflective water surface?
2018-12-19
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

"I have been hearing a lot of people talking about not flying their Spark overwater because of the downward VPS sensor not picking up the water and causing the spark to drop out of the sky and crash into the water. Is there any truth to this?"

A lot of people are saying they've had that experience? I've never heard of such a thing. The Spark might make small adjustments to its altitude while flying, but it won't drop out of the sky if it detects water below.

"is there a way 2 shut down the downward sensor so that you can fly safely over water?"

You cannot disable the downward sensors. Do this instead:

1) When flying over water, keep the Spark at a safe altitude (like 20+ feet away from the surface of the water).

2) Don't hold the throttle in the full down position when flying over water. If the downward sensors incorrectly detect the ground is near (possibly due to reflections from the water), that could cause the Spark to switch to Forced Landing mode and auto land.

3) Flying within several feet of the surface of water is dangerous and could easily lead to a crash. Don't do this unless you know what you're doing.

2018-12-19
Use props
Alex B.
Captain
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I have no problem flying over water, I just don’t go lower than 50 meters

Flysafely
Alex
2018-12-19
Use props
Hddeuce
Second Officer
Flight distance : 128261 ft
United States

TheGemster18 Posted at 12-19 11:09
Ok, thank you.   For your quick response.   I do have one more question if I may,  is there any truth to the rumor that if you fly your Spark for a period of time in Sport mode..that it will confuse the IMU, and switch the Spark into Atti Mode?  Should I be worried about flying in Sport mode?  Tks. Again.  Joey.

No, there is no issue flying in Sport Mode for the entire battery...I have done that many times without issue.  Again, good luck!
2018-12-20
Use props
Alex B.
Captain

Spain

TheGemster18 Posted at 12-19 11:09
Ok, thank you.   For your quick response.   I do have one more question if I may,  is there any truth to the rumor that if you fly your Spark for a period of time in Sport mode..that it will confuse the IMU, and switch the Spark into Atti Mode?  Should I be worried about flying in Sport mode?  Tks. Again.  Joey.

Like Hddeuce said don’t worry about it. I only fly in sports mode on the spark just because it flies like a turtle in normal mode, 12/15kph! Too slow

Fly safely
Alex
2018-12-20
Use props
TheGemster18
lvl.3
United States

Hddeuce Posted at 12-20 12:05
No, there is no issue flying in Sport Mode for the entire battery...I have done that many times without issue.  Again, good luck!

Tks. Guys... what about the other question that I had regarding the fuzzy images when moving the gimbal quickly from straight down...to level and vice versa?  It seems like it takes a second or two for the image to be clearer?
2018-12-20
Use props
Alex B.
Captain

Spain

TheGemster18 Posted at 12-20 15:44
Tks. Guys... what about the other question that I had regarding the fuzzy images when moving the gimbal quickly from straight down...to level and vice versa?  It seems like it takes a second or two for the image to be clearer?

That’s completely normal on the spark.
I don’t experience this on my Mavic Pro.
But on the spark yes, it’s the quality of the WiFi connection, mavic pro has ocusync.

Fly safely and enjoy
Alex
2018-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules