Inspire 1 logs...
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
John Bennett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 289770 ft

United States

To whom it may concern...

I have a question about the flight logs of the Inspire 1 UAV.

After downloading the on-board *.dat files, I discovered that I needed to run the file(s) through a convertor
to change the file in question into a readable *.csv file.  Once that task was completed, I opened the file in
Microsoft Excel to look at the data.  I do understand (for the most part) what I am looking at.  The csv file
sets up the way I expected it would.  Data such as Latitude, Longitude, GPS Altitude, etc. comes in cleanly
with the data points I would expect.  I  received 27 data fields with approximately 100,000 "records" for a
flight approximately 10 minutes in length.

In reviewing the 27 data fields, I "discovered" some of the fields that I would expect to be included not to be
present.  Fields such as operational flight time (i.e. total seconds), battery discharge voltage
(rates /  duration / voltage / amperage draw), compass heading (0 to 360 degrees), etc.

Most of the data I received I understand.  However, I do not know what "N Velocity",  "E Velocity", and
"D Velocity" represents; "QuaternionX", "QuaternionY", "QuaternionZ" represents; and “Sequence 135 Hz”
(something at 135 hertz frequency?) represents.

Would someone be kind and explain the above data sets to me and explain where I can retrieve the other
data that I am expecting to be present?  Was my "missing data” not recorded?  Was it lost in the file
conversion?  Are there more fields that are missing?  Is it retrievable from my tablet (Crystal Sky) / account?

I am trying to understand and to set up the data for passing it through DashWare (or its equivalent).
I would like to display telemetry such as altitude, direction, voltage, location, etc. on the videos for
in-house training purposes.

Thank you for your time…  I appreciate it…
==========================================
JOHN TRACEY BENNETT
PSO UAV Administrator
Certified Pilot – sUAS (active)
Chief Engineering Draftsman
CAD Systems / Archive Systems Coordinator

PLANT & SERVICE OPERATIONS
MAIL CODE 6727
SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
210 PHYSICAL PLANT DR
CARBONDALE, ILLINOIS 62901

P:  618/453-6766
F:  618/453-6784
WWW.PSO.SIU.EDU

2018-12-19
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

You might find it easier to use CsvView/DatCon. It's free and can be obtained from
http://datfile.net/
The fields that DatCon knows about are documented here
http://datfile.net/DatCon/fields.html

Good luck

2018-12-23
Use props
John Bennett
Second Officer

United States

Mr Walker (?)

Thank you for your suggestion...  Unfortunately, it is not as straight forward as I wish, but I will be trying your suggestion soon.  If you are curious I have included the fields that I receive when I "translate" the Inspire 1 *.dat files over to *.csv using "Maps Made Easy" website....

Latitude (Deg) / Longitude (Deg) / GPS Altitude (m) / N Velocity(m/s) / E Velocity(m/s) / D Velocity(m/s) / Velocity(m/s) / Ground Speed(m/s) / AccelerometerX(g) / AccelerometerY(g) / AccelerometerZ(g) GyroX(rad/s) / GyroY(rad/s) / GyroZ(rad/s) / Barometric Alt(m) / QuaternionX / QuaternionY / QuaternionZ / QuaternionW / Roll(deg) / Pitch(deg) / Yaw(deg) / MagneticX / MagneticY / MagneticZ / Satellites / Sequence(135 Hz)

It was my hope to link this data to a software application called DashWare -- However, the "simple data" (batteries, run time, compass heading, distance from the transmitter / home) are either not logged or was lost in the data translation.  I an trying to determine which it is...

2018-12-24
Use props
John Bennett
Second Officer

United States

Additional...

I am beginning to believe there is a lot more data on the Go App (before p4) than what I had originally
thought (As my day would say: know you know, do'nt think you know -- how true).  Thank you very
much leading me to this web site.  Hopefully, it will be very helpful.

Thanks again
Merry Christmas
John T
2018-12-24
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

John Bennett Posted at 12-24 13:49
Mr Walker (?)

Thank you for your suggestion...  Unfortunately, it is not as straight forward as I wish, but I will be trying your suggestion soon.  If you are curious I have included the fields that I receive when I "translate" the Inspire 1 *.dat files over to *.csv using "Maps Made Easy" website....

The .csv columns created by DatCon can be seen here
P3 and Inspire 1 .CSV column descriptions

If you're interested in using Dashware with the .txt file produced by the DJI Go App take a look at
https://phantompilots.com/threads/tool-win-offline-txt-flightrecord-to-csv-converter.70428/page-11#post-881041
You'll need to use the TXTlogToCSVtool  converter that can be obtained by looking here
https://phantompilots.com/threads/tool-win-offline-txt-flightrecord-to-csv-converter.70428/

My name is Rowland. Bud is my cat. We go for walks. That makes me a BudWalker.
2018-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules