Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

EdisonW1979 Posted at 12-21 11:39
In Canada, the Global National news broadcast did a “hit piece” on drones last night, in which they made drones sound like not just a nuisance, but a public menace:

https://globalnews.ca/video/4783819/global-national-dec-20-6

This is not happening on this side of the water, in fact opposite , UK transport minster and government taking the biggest hit.
All the tech experts say that necessary equipment is there and has been there to take drones down for quite awhile but nothing done about it.
While the general public may be up in arms , officialdom have not issued any derogatory statements against the drone community, in fact the case being made for drone community using NFZ has and will continue to be a big plus for drone community, nobody including general public has demonized thedrone community, so it’s completely unfair for anyone to say this.

I’m sure there will be repercussions for the drone community but only in policing the laws that are already there, registration and test may be brought forward fo the UK, which won’t do any harm particularly to those prepared to fly drones under the code for their country.
2018-12-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-21 11:36
i really hope that you are just disagreeing with everything certain members of this community are saying and arent seriously failing to comprehend how the media is negatively portraying the drone community as a whole because of this.  because if its the other way around and your genuinely missing it, maybe bigger issues you need to deal with

I think your getting your rubbish from the tabloid press but having read most of them this morning Not one demonized drone users, many pointing to the fact that that a large amount of drones are equipped with NFZ and GEO, it’s the transport minister and other government bodies that are taking the bulk of the flack.
2018-12-21
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-21 12:02
I think your getting your rubbish from the tabloid press but having read most of them this morning Not one demonized drone users, many pointing to the fact that that a large amount of drones are equipped with NFZ and GEO, it’s the transport minister and other government bodies that are taking the bulk of the flack.

already seen a few snippets of news pieces here where the media calling us (the drone community) out.  :/  they play to their agenda and both sides of the spectrum seem to dislike drones  from CNN to FOX
2018-12-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-21 12:11
already seen a few snippets of news pieces here where the media calling us (the drone community) out.  :/  they play to their agenda and both sides of the spectrum seem to dislike drones  from CNN to FOX

I think you will find CNN AND FOX are predominately American media, over this side of the water, the blame is clearly being laid at authorities door, and this is correct, yes the general public will see drones in a worse light because of this, but that’s understandable and drone users may come in for some stick because of this, but the reality is the drone communities had taken action to stop this from happening, and the vast majority of drone users IMO are both respectful of the general community the code of rules and other persons property.
2018-12-21
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-21 12:19
I think you will find CNN AND FOX are predominately American media, over this side of the water, the blame is clearly being laid at authorities door, and this is correct, yes the general public will see drones in a worse light because of this, but that’s understandable and drone users may come in for some stick because of this, but the reality is the drone communities had taken action to stop this from happening, and the vast majority of drone users IMO are both respectful of the general community the code of rules and other persons property.

yes these media outlets are primarily american, but its still bad.  and i agree the drone community has a wide range of people, most everyone is respectful of laws and rules and eachother.  
2018-12-21
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Indeed, the tech to mostly avoid this exists. Government Officials need to pay with their jobs, now.

Police patrolling Gatwick have now been given permission to shoot the allegedly seen drone down (there only seems to be one shaky clip of something resembling a drone as far as I am aware and that could have been filmed anywhere, anytime).

The police have not arrested anyone and everybody seems pretty clueless about what's going on.

Pretty much like current British politics. Nothing new then.
2018-12-21
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

Equipment valued at 32.6 deployed to restore flights at Gatwick Gatwick Drone Defence
2018-12-21
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Do they know and tell which drone was it?
There is a picture of it, but I couldn’t make out which drone it is, only that it’s not DJI.

Fly safely
Alex
2018-12-21
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Looks lime I have to eat some of my words. They have arrested a man and woman.

Let's hope they got the right ones, then throw the keys away for years.
2018-12-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Arrests have been made Five years behind bars unless deemed terror related then make that 20 years! Result!
2018-12-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EdisonW1979 Posted at 12-21 11:39
In Canada, the Global National news broadcast did a “hit piece” on drones last night, in which they made drones sound like not just a nuisance, but a public menace:

https://globalnews.ca/video/4783819/global-national-dec-20-6

That is odd as there has been nothing like that here. The blame rests with the ill prepared airports, the police and ultimately the government. There was a poll to ban drones in the UK as an immediate knee jerk reaction but it was laughed off screen with there are 'good un's and bad un's' in life - no need to punish the good un's. The focus seems to be steered away from the drones and onto catching the pilots and understanding how to prevent this from happening again. The consensus is that banning drones will not solve a damn thing!   
2018-12-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Two people arrested, hopefully they are dealt with accordingly. But not in time for all those kids who missed their trip to see Santa in Lapland, not in time for all those who’s holidays were cut short, for the damage it has done to all drone pilots who have no problem flying within their drone code,  by what seems like a mindless attack.
2018-12-22
Use props
JAgraphics
lvl.4
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-21 10:07
realistically, making your own drone and own gun are i would say both very trivial for their selective groups/enthusiasts..more hardcore or familar your are with what your dealing with the easier it is..    genuinely i would find building a drone of that size that would fly that stable, and fast far more challenging than me milling out a block of aluminium and steel into a functioning lower and upper receiver for example

Have to disagree...

Making a drone requires a laptop, an internet connection and a credit card  (and a table to build it on).  I would hazard a guess that 100% of both drone users and gun users have that.

How many drone users and gun users have access to a machine shop?  I was a gun owner for may years but no access to the kit to make my own.

Many teenagers can build racing drones from kits. Any tech person can download and adjust the Open Pilot Drone SW on a lap top in a coffee shop using their wifi.

Much easier than making a working useable firearm.  Which is not trivial.

I am talking a person making a drone with similar capabilities to a DJI drone. To match that you would need to make a magazine fed firearm like a semi auto pistol or assault rifle. Not a single shot zip gun.

More to the point is these home made drones can be set up to avoid most or all forms of counter measures.  BTW Phalanx and AA guns are NOT a solution on the vast majority of civil airports.  In any case the size speed of a drone would be outside the target parameters of  most AA systems and to small to target anyway.

2018-12-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1 Posted at 12-22 00:24
Looks lime I have to eat some of my words. They have arrested a man and woman.

Let's hope they got the right ones, then throw the keys away for years.

There are many more around here who need to eat there words, I wonder will it have any effect on those who think it is their god given right to fly when and where they choose, to continue to whinge about NFZs that are there to keep us all safe and in compliance with the laws we fly by, and those who come on here advertising hacks for drones so they are open to flying in NFZs.

Incidentally they are showing this as a Phantom drone, not sure if it’s confirmed, but all the headlines are showing a close up of a Phantom.
2018-12-22
Use props
JAgraphics
lvl.4
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-21 12:11

Fox is calling out the Drone Community!?!?! Why no one died.
It's not like one to the weekly mass shootings where people are killed.
Are Fox etc going to be equally strident on gun control?
2018-12-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JAgraphics Posted at 12-22 02:35
Fox is calling out the Drone Community!?!?! Why no one died.
It's not like one to the weekly mass shootings where people are killed.
Are Fox etc going to be equally strident on gun control?

Strange you mention guns, someone from US on here yesterday claimed that taking guns out of the hands of Americans  , wouldn’t stop the shootings and killings from guns.

I didn’t have the heart to tell him that it would be impossible to shoot anyone if they had no guns (;+).., if this is the mentality then I don’t see that changing much in the future.
2018-12-22
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-22 02:44
Strange you mention guns, someone from US on here yesterday claimed that taking guns out of the hands of Americans  , wouldn’t stop the shootings and killings from guns.

I didn’t have the heart to tell him that it would be impossible to shoot anyone if they had no guns (;+).., if this is the mentality then I don’t see that changing much in the future.
But In most states not required to register long guns (rifles), as well estimated 10s of millions of unregistered rifles and at least 5-7 million unaccounted for class 2 (almost any modern semi auto firearm) guns.

Add to not hard at all to make your own gun if you know what your doing.. admittingly  it’s tedious but I have laminated print outs been passed down how to make various semi auto rifles.   

I terms of what you need, a block of aluminum, milling machine of some variant like CNC or Routing style, various milling bits (I use ceramic coated tool steel and/or titanium carbide, some people use titanium diamond), a block of steel, tooling oil to reduce wear on bits while milling (I use Mineral oil), some measuring calipers or a stencil you cut out before to save time, springs time and patience and for barrel all need is some hardened steel tube of proper size and to add rifling you use a tungsten carbide bit (not sure what the name of it is) but has two offset point of the side.
2018-12-22
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JAgraphics Posted at 12-22 02:30
Have to disagree...

Making a drone requires a laptop, an internet connection and a credit card  (and a table to build it on).  I would hazard a guess that 100% of both drone users and gun users have that.
If your buying premade, here in the US you can also buy 80% completed lowers which by law required Same checks buying a gun but, its an option, you can also buy 20% lowers without any checks or make it front strict yourself.  and takes far less time.

rest of the stuff is openly acceccible to buy without even producing ID or doing checks, legally you can buy upper receivers, bolts, pins, springs, firing pins, barrels, buffer tubes, sticks, rails, extraction slides, forwarding hammer, dust cover for the ejection port and even ammo... all of which can order online have shipped to your door.. legally and without an eye being batted infact I sometimes order parts and ammo online because of really good sales and even ordered one of my Guns online and had it shipped to my local gun shop.

You and many people are are likely more familiar with drones and building drones, so the task of doing such seems trivial, were as me, more of a gun enthusiast it’s the other way around.
2018-12-22
Use props
JAgraphics
lvl.4
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-22 04:02
If your buying premade, here in the US you can also buy 80% completed lowers which by law required Same checks buying a gun but, its an option, you can also buy 20% lowers without any checks or make it front strict yourself.  and takes far less time.

rest of the stuff is openly acceccible to buy without even producing ID or doing checks, legally you can buy upper receivers, bolts, pins, springs, firing pins, barrels, buffer tubes, sticks, rails, extraction slides, forwarding hammer, dust cover for the ejection port and even ammo... all of which can order online have shipped to your door.. legally and without an eye being batted infact I sometimes order parts and ammo online because of really good sales and even ordered one of my Guns online and had it shipped to my local gun shop.

Actually I am as familiar with firearms as drones.  
However what you say about buying firearm components without a license does indicate the US needs far better gun control laws than it has
2018-12-22
Use props
JAgraphics
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 12-22 02:34
There are many more around here who need to eat there words, I wonder will it have any effect on those who think it is their god given right to fly when and where they choose, to continue to whinge about NFZs that are there to keep us all safe and in compliance with the laws we fly by, and those who come on here advertising hacks for drones so they are open to flying in NFZs.

Incidentally they are showing this as a Phantom drone, not sure if it’s confirmed, but all the headlines are showing a close up of a Phantom.

Of course I have the right to fly anywhere I like... it's the second amendment :-)
2018-12-22
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JAgraphics Posted at 12-22 04:54
Actually I am as familiar with firearms as drones.  
However what you say about buying firearm components without a license does indicate the US needs far better gun control laws than it has
No the rules are actually pretty tight already, background checks are in place, required to register handguns (mass majority of gun crime gets committed with) rifles are rarely used in gun crimes, just sensationalized the few times it has happened.    And statistically speaking, no one that makes their own guns or buys guns parts online and goes out and kills people almost all gun related crime is Gang Vs gang with stolen weapons, followed by suicide, police related, then Statistics fall off a cliff and into tiny slivers.  

As for where most gun related crime occurs, ironically in the stricter cities and states mostly.  Chicago, Detroit, California, New York.... these areas have the strictest imposed laws against gun ownership and possesion. I’m not against gun control, but I am against non sense gun control.

I always said this, people hate each other and if they crazy enough to kill other people, taking away their guns won’t take away their ability to kill each other nor motivation
2018-12-22
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-22 05:10
No the rules are actually pretty tight already, background checks are in place, required to register handguns (mass majority of gun crime gets committed with) rifles are rarely used in gun crimes, just sensationalized the few times it has happened.    And statistically speaking, no one that makes their own guns or buys guns parts online and goes out and kills people almost all gun related crime is Gang Vs gang with stolen weapons, followed by suicide, police related, then Statistics fall off a cliff and into tiny slivers.  

As for where most gun related crime occurs, ironically in the stricter cities and states mostly.  Chicago, Detroit, California, New York.... these areas have the strictest imposed laws against gun ownership and possesion. I’m not against gun control, but I am against non sense gun control.

rules, regulations and training only work on those that ONLY FOLLOW THE LAW

so more laws won't prevent more incidents ....

what they need is better ENFORCEMENT of laws and JAIL time for offenders

or course when you look at the fact that this looks malicious and heathrow was under cyber attack as well.. this has nothing to do with drones ...

we are arguing the wrong social issue of our day...

2018-12-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JAgraphics Posted at 12-22 04:55
Of course I have the right to fly anywhere I like... it's the second amendment :-)

I know second amendment , The Right To Bare Drones, he he.
2018-12-22
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 12-22 05:20
rules, regulations and training only work on those that ONLY FOLLOW THE LAW

so more laws won't prevent more incidents ....
That’s exactly it, making more laws is the lazy way out that won’t fix anything and just turn more people into criminals who would otherwise be perfectly legal.  

As you said, better and smarter enforcement of standing laws goes the longest way... the enforcement thing is huge, making more laws that over reach is lazy way out.
2018-12-22
Use props
DrMagical
lvl.4
Flight distance : 959879 ft
United Kingdom

What is most sad about this incident is there has to be a knee jerk reaction from the government to appease the public - there always is! I'm just waiting to see how us law abiding hobbyists are going to be the sacrificial lambs. They don't need new laws, they just need to be able to uphold the laws that already exist!
2018-12-22
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I ageee.  Enforcement needs to improve.  They can can make as many laws and regulations as they want, but if they don’t find a way to enforce them; they’re all moot.
2018-12-22
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

DrMagical Posted at 12-22 06:05
What is most sad about this incident is there has to be a knee jerk reaction from the government to appease the public - there always is! I'm just waiting to see how us law abiding hobbyists are going to be the sacrificial lambs. They don't need new laws, they just need to be able to uphold the laws that already exist!

lynch both of them from one of the monuments in london would put a crimp on it .. but hey .. that would be holding guilty people accountable ..

better to punish the law abiding innocents that don't complain ...

2018-12-22
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

DrMagical Posted at 12-22 06:05

bring back the good ole days in england where high criminals were drawn and quartered.. with their heads on a pike at tower bridge and a piece sent to the 4 corners of the country as a warning to others..

2018-12-22
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

2018-12-22
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-22 03:55
But In most states not required to register long guns (rifles), as well estimated 10s of millions of unregistered rifles and at least 5-7 million unaccounted for class 2 (almost any modern semi auto firearm) guns.

Add to not hard at all to make your own gun if you know what your doing.. admittingly  it’s tedious but I have laminated print outs been passed down how to make various semi auto rifles.   

Always get a laugh out of those who claim if you outlaw ''something,'' then nobody can get a hold of ''something''.   Prohibition worked oh so well.  And Illegal drugs vanished too!

If any criminal wants a gun, they will get one.   Heck, Obama's AG Eric Holder setup Fast & Furious which sold guns to criminals and drug cartels!  Step right up, get your very own .50 BMG.  No background check, no forms to fill out, no ID required.  Sorry, cash only.  

2018-12-22
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

Although this is way off the original topic a person that I know got busted for something like this Pen Gun
It's not rocket science.

Back on topic, it appears that the two suspects have now been released. It is sad that their names and details were published by the tabloid press as they have a great defamation case if they were not the perpetrators of this stupid act. Which leads to the next question, will the real culprits ever be caught?
2018-12-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-22 23:29
There are millions of guns in the world.  They are extremely durable & long lasting.  They won't just vanish even if they were made illegal.  What would disappear is the ability to effectively defend one's self from violent attack.  You have noticed your leaders are protected by scores of people armed with guns?   Oddly none of these guns ever jumps up & spontaneously shoots someone.  Perhaps that's because guns are simply inanimate objects?   When a serious crime is underway police show up with guns to put an end to the situation.  Your leaders understand fully well that guns are the most effective form of defense against violence, & they enjoy that protection at YOUR expense!  Is the life of you & your loved ones worth less?

The only lesson here is it seems the more guns the more people die.
2018-12-23
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-23 01:43
The only lesson here is it seems the more guns the more people die.

You obvious don’t even remotely understand.  If you somehow removed all guns people will still mass murder each other, history has proven this with serial murders strangling people, bombings, using hatchets, vehicles, you can turn almost anything into a weapon including their drones they could tie pipe bombs to them and remotely detonate them..., and with motivation and personal incentive people have done these things all of them including drone bombings.  Get your head out of your ass..
2018-12-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s amazing no reports of anyone been arrested in the wrong, no reports of anyone been released. But because one of those arrested , boss says he couldn’t do it then that means he’s in the clear LMAO, who needs a legal when the word of your boss will convince everyone your innocent. Crazy Stuff......
2018-12-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-23 02:07
You obvious don’t even remotely understand.  If you somehow removed all guns people will still mass murder each other, history has proven this with serial murders strangling people, bombings, using hatchets, vehicles, you can turn almost anything into a weapon including their drones they could tie pipe bombs to them and remotely detonate them..., and with motivation and personal incentive people have done these things all of them including drone bombings.  Get your head out of your ass..

The highest gun crime rate among first world countries bares the facts, i Really am not interested in Americans shooting each other , let them at it.
2018-12-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-23 02:32
Nor do you appear interested in any rational discussion on the issue.  All about your feelings & facts be damned.

Uh oh!  Looks like we need to ban knives...

I’ve tried the rational, but it seems that when some are fixed in there ways then they are not for changing.
So best to agree to disagree .
2018-12-23
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-23 02:22
The highest gun crime rate among first world countries bares the facts, i Really am not interested in Americans shooting each other , let them at it.
I never mentioned nor referenced America, sure America is one of many examples but that’s far beyond the point.  Infact most of my points are just generic complication from around  the world that can happen anywhere.   

You calling it an American problem is you being blind to the real issue, also dirty bird makes a good point, London is more dangerous than NYC statistically speaking, and very few incedences include guns over in the UK and yet it’s more dangerious...like I been saying motivation and personal incentives..
2018-12-23
Use props
Steeevo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264882 ft
United Kingdom

Stop going on about gun laws and america. This is the uk and we are talking about drones?  
2018-12-23
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-22 23:33
A good thing you aren't in charge as you would have lynched two innocent people.  They've been released.

I didn't say lynch them.. I said lynch the guilty..

still have to have due process.. but far too many get off with little to no penalty.. hence laws are in-effective if there is no penalty for being caught..

but thanks for putting words in my mouth..

not trying to pick a fight with you.. so don't try and pick a fight with me like you have been picking fights with everyone lately....

chill.. its christmas
2018-12-23
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I am amazed at the Gouvernments, Police, Military and Airport Authorities frigid, unsuccessful handling of this whole fiasco.

Britain, the world's laughing stock. Even more so now than just a few days ago. I know, hard to believe.

Heads MUST roll over this. My suggestion is to start with the Transport Secretary, swiftly progressing to Baroness Sugg, then without further delay to Top Gatwick Airport Management and as dessert, Police chiefs in charge of the operation.

Merry Xmas
2018-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules