Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Pocket - Is AF an Issue?
2379 14 2018-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Puzio20
lvl.1
United States

DJI Fam,

Been considering buying the Osmo Pocket for a few weeks now, but before I made the pruchase I had a few questions that I was hoping those who already have the camera could answer. After doing research this looks like a fantastic gadget (especially for the price), but I did notice a common trend of users mentioning the autofocus tends to be a bit glitchy. Is this true? Sometimes it's hard to take these reveiws seriously since most users simply keep the camera on "auto settings" which could be causing the choppiness due to shutter speed, or other variables which makes the camera under perform. In some reviews the picture looks perfect (post editting?), in others you can see where the auto focus struggles. Love the features of the pocket such as timelapse, 4k 60fps, pro mode etc, but if my video is choppy and the subject I'm trying to shoot is consistently out of focus this would be a deal breaker for me.

Some important details to mention, I will be using the Osmo Pocket mostly for travel and vacation videos. I have a trip planned for Switzlerland and Italy in April and plan to use this camera or Hero 7 to scenes of the cities, landscape and other details of the areas.

Thank you in advance for your help!

P.S - I understand DJI sent out a firmware update to correct the AF issue, but in some reviews they mention the issue is still present.
2018-12-20
Use props
DanielVieira
First Officer
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Focus in AFS its fine and works ok! But AFC is slow and jerky...focus hunt out of nowhere...
2018-12-20
Use props
dronybaloney
Captain
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Check the other many posts regarding focus issue
2018-12-20
Use props
Blellow
Captain
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, the osmo pocket can't focus on clouds and small objects nearby.  However, it does focus on faces very well as long as...

Wait for it...

The person is not wearing a hat or glasses.

This all is generally speaking.  Sometimes, it does focus on the above mentioned. Most of the time it does not.
2018-12-20
Use props
dronie1965
Captain
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

In afs its ok , you only have to tap the screen to focus . Chance then is that you forget and see later thst footage is out of focus, so you have to keep remembering to tap
2018-12-20
Use props
fans1f690efe
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Well if it's anything like the Osmo + for AF issues  then it will be a total disaster.   
2018-12-20
Use props
fans1f690efe
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Well if it's anything like the Osmo + for AF issues  then it will be a total disaster.   
2018-12-20
Use props
Puzio20
lvl.1
United States

Thank you everyone for your feedback! Based on the responses I've received I will wait until I see there has been a new firmware released that solves the autofocus issue before purchasing.
Been reading Gopro Hero 7 has some serious panning issues when Hypersmooth is activated. Seems both of these cameras have their issues.
2018-12-22
Use props
Ajay Bajaj
lvl.1
Canada

Are you a professional videographer? Will you be making videos for clients? What will you be doing with these videos?

Really if it is just for your own consumption and even for posting to Youtube, the videos are good enough. Yes, there is some focus hunting, and hopefully it gets fixed soon. But, I have seen the same issues in much bigger and more expensive cameras, including the GH5.

There is no other solution that matches it's size and convenience. Even with the Gopro you have to walk around with it on a selfie stick. So, if the absolute best video footage is a priority, then sure wait for something else. But, if convenience and being unobtrusive is important, then buy it.
2018-12-22
Use props
DanielVieira
First Officer
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

I really hope DJI give us Infinity Focus because at night OP struggles a lot to have subject in Focus...
2018-12-22
Use props
Tide
Captain
South Korea

In my experience, AFC was fine in good lighting condition. I have so far shoot about 60hr video with Osmo pocket and more than 70% of shots was usable. Which is about par with my more expensive camera and lense shooting. So for me the focus is not exellent but usable.

However, others do point out the focus problem for a reason. I do also experience focus hunting in difficult light condition like the picture I attached. To me it is usable but there are definatly room for improvement with update.

Check my video if you like to see focus hunt.
https://youtu.be/9koPlvNVDkU
In this mixed light conditions, I only experienced focus hunting in a couple of scenes.

Hope it helps.
3ACE7328-5AC3-438F-A93D-A01F9F835FF6.png
2018-12-23
Use props
Ckentx01
New

United States

So far, even with AFS and me tapping the screen, I am out of focus a lot. I use this mainly for vlogging and when it focuses its GREAT, but it misses so much. Not sure what else to try.
2019-3-10
Use props
zu1
lvl.4

Japan

Blellow Posted at 2018-12-20 08:08
Yes, the osmo pocket can't focus on clouds and small objects nearby.  However, it does focus on faces very well as long as...

Wait for it...

The cases you have listed are well foused in most time. If you found unfocus case, maybe you can report to us.  
2019-3-10
Use props
zu1
lvl.4

Japan

Tide Posted at 2018-12-23 01:26
In my experience, AFC was fine in good lighting condition. I have so far shoot about 60hr video with Osmo pocket and more than 70% of shots was usable. Which is about par with my more expensive camera and lense shooting. So for me the focus is not exellent but usable.

However, others do point out the focus problem for a reason. I do also experience focus hunting in difficult light condition like the picture I attached. To me it is usable but there are definatly room for improvement with update.

The pump of focus will be reduced. The moving object (driving car etc) will rarely cause AF to unstable, so for this scene the AF-s is recommended.
2019-3-10
Use props
lvK0bgqCXaWs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 361 ft
Netherlands

I also notice a lot of osmo pockets are offered here in the netherlands on the second hand market. That's really not a good sign!
It proves that this action camera has a serious problem. And out of focus is a problem.
That's exactly  the reason why you buy this stuff: just point, shoot and follow. And not like my GH5, all manual.
2019-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules