Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone's Disrupts Maijour Airport's UK ??
1933 30 2018-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheKJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 344085 ft
United Kingdom

Hello DJI so this from what i have seen. Is 2 DJI Drones flying over an airport.

Who the hell would purposoley purchase 2 drones just to disrupt airlines ???.

This looked out to be a planned attack. As DJI seem to block all airports. Even you can't fly into them.

What is DJI Doing about this. As it just puts a worse name for DJI.

Thank you let me know your thoughts

LINKS

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2018/dec/20/gatwick-airport-drone-travel-chaos-disruption-live-updates

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46640033

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-sussex-46564814
2018-12-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, while DJI has no independent confirmation of what has occurred or what type of drone may be involved, DJI is prepared to offer technical assistance and comply with appropriate requests from law enforcement and aviation regulation officials.
Safety is the top priority for DJI, for the drone industry in general and for the aviation authorities around the world who are developing rules and standards for drone operations. While the overwhelming majority of drone pilots fly safely and responsibly, DJI deplores any attempt to deliberately use drones to cause harm. The reported incident at Gatwick underscores the need for systems to help enforce the laws against deliberate misuse of drones.

More details about this, please visit: https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... ident-investigators
2018-12-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Just more drone hysteria. Where is there any convincing evidence that there was a drone or two? You can't fight ignorant hysteria like this. And why put this on DJI? The total lack of evidence extends to not even knowing what make of drone it was, so you just assume it was a DJI product?
2018-12-20
Use props
rwynant V1
Captain
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

This from your 2nd link:

"We haven't yet identified the specific make and model of the drone. That will influence our tactical options."

So,  May I suggest you EDIT your Headline?  Please.....it's unfounded BS

Randy
2018-12-20
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Agree with Geebax......... unfounded hysteria.
2018-12-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not so sure anything is "unfounded", just because there are no images in the media and just because the ac has not been identified does not mean its not real, you dont go round closing down airports over the busiest period for nothing and same goes for calling in the Military for assistance on ways to remove the drone, dont get me wrong, i would very much love to see it not being a drone but its unlikely to be anything else at this stage, 1st thing i thought when seeign the news at 3am yesterday was possible terrorist finding new ways to hurt us, seems a little unlikely as theres no bloodshed for them but its what i thought, also, how hard would it be for them to bring a country to halt regarding flights, not hard at all, had this been a coordinated effort, the UK would be up poo stream atm
2018-12-20
Use props
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

Looks like the jihadists have found a leverageable tool to bring about economic terrorism.
2018-12-20
Use props
Manxmann
Captain
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 12-20 15:31
Hi there, while DJI has no independent confirmation of what has occurred or what type of drone may be involved, DJI is prepared to offer technical assistance and comply with appropriate requests from law enforcement and aviation regulation officials.
Safety is the top priority for DJI, for the drone industry in general and for the aviation authorities around the world who are developing rules and standards for drone operations. While the overwhelming majority of drone pilots fly safely and responsibly, DJI deplores any attempt to deliberately use drones to cause harm. The reported incident at Gatwick underscores the need for systems to help enforce the laws against deliberate misuse of drones.

Spot on IMO.  Well said DJI.
2018-12-21
Use props
Manxmann
Captain
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

In this day & age & with the Military using drones as they do,  I am amazed that they are unable to locate & track the offending UAV.  Let's face it,  the offenders most likely only have 20/25 max flight time & have to have battery changes frequently - they just have to land.
I'll just bet there are plenty of smart brains working on the problem.  Let's face it,  locating the drones & shooting them down will not answer the underlying problem.
2018-12-21
Use props
gyrex
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Er... Why is it DJI's responsibility to do something about this? Do you write to BMW when you see a maniac on the roads demanding that they do something to mitigate customer stupidity? What is wrong with people these days? Save your ire for the clowns who were engaging in this idiotic behaviour!
2018-12-21
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Azerbaijan

News already posted :

https://forum.dji.com/thread-175362-1-1.html

Nigel
2018-12-21
Use props
Aerial-Image
Captain
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They are suggesting its a Matrice 600 - ! - A pricy beast with 6 batteries and a 38min flight time... But until we see any photographic proof ??! - But a bad day for sensible/qualified drone fliers i'm just waiting the abuse I'll get when out on the next job from passing dog walkers :O
2018-12-21
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
United States

Pitiful security there when a drone can shut down a major airport for two days.
2018-12-21
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Azerbaijan

ALABAMA Posted at 12-21 08:25
Pitiful security there when a drone can shut down a major airport for two days.

??

So how would you guard against drone use then ... Gatwick Airport is a large sprawling complex with a motorway that passes through dividing the two terminals etc.
How can security cover every possibility of a perimeter that runs to tens of miles ? AND in the case of what is believed to be an Industrial modified drone for endurance ... how far out from that perimeter ?

If you read the reports - you will see that the length of shut down was based on authorities safeguarding passengers lives and was far longer than the actual sighting incidents. A not unreasonable attitude to take when peoples lives are at risk.

It is believed that the operator was possibly an Environmental Activist acting after Gatwick had reported expected record passenger figures for this holiday period.

Nigel
2018-12-21
Use props
1Eagle
First Officer
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

solentlife Posted at 12-21 10:08
??

So how would you guard against drone use then ... Gatwick Airport is a large sprawling complex with a motorway that passes through dividing the two terminals etc.

As you have stated, guarding against this type of invasive, irresponsible, disruptive behavior, whether intentional or not is very difficult if not logistically impossible.

However, seeing the monetary disruption alone seems to make it necessary to develop reactionary tactics to eliminate the threat. The investment would be well worth the savings.

The anti-drone technology that we have seen being developed can and should be utilized by the authorities to let everyone know that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated.
Disruptive guns, net carrying drones, etc.

At the very least, video equipped authorized drones patrolling the perimeter would help. This would allow for a safe enough environment to resume airline flight. It could also provide video identifying footage of the offending drone.

This looks like a tactic that can and will be repeated. It's time for the authorities to up their game so that citizens feel like they are protected, not vulnerable to something as simple as a drone flight causing so much chaos.

Just my two cents.....
2018-12-21
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Azerbaijan

Time to deploy these systems :

http://www.blighter.com/products ... defence-system.html

Its been proven on trials .. so why is it not in use generally ?

Nigel
2018-12-21
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
United States

https://news.sussex.police.uk/ne ... t-to-re-open-342896            Help has arrived!    ( She could be on my team any time.)
2018-12-21
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Azerbaijan

Reports of TWO people arrested .............. lets see what happens now.

Nigel
2018-12-21
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Captain
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

ALABAMA Posted at 12-20 15:30
Agree with Geebax......... unfounded hysteria.

yep it would  now  appear  that the authorities as of yet have not seen said drone flying over Gatwick , but were reacting to public and airport  staff sightings ........ hey ho Merry Christmas everyone .
2018-12-23
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

DEUCEDOG Posted at 12-23 09:51
yep it would  now  appear  that the authorities as of yet have not seen said drone flying over Gatwick , but were reacting to public and airport  staff sightings ........ hey ho Merry Christmas everyone .

There is actually a video online of one of the drones ..... looks like a smartphone vid.

But my question is : Why is UK buying in Israeli tech for this when the AUDS Blighter system built / tested and proven by UK is available ??

Nigel
2018-12-23
Use props
Aerial-Image
Captain
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Police even said there might not have been a drone! OMG! They were just  going off what other people thought they MIGHT have seen oh FFS!
2018-12-23
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Aerial-Image Posted at 12-23 11:21
Police even said there might not have been a drone! OMG! They were just  going off what other people thought they MIGHT have seen oh FFS!

Trouble is the video online is without any surrounding features to identify where recorded !

Nigel
2018-12-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

solentlife Posted at 12-21 20:35
Reports of TWO people arrested .............. lets see what happens now.

Nigel

I saw the BBC report of that arrest over here in Australia. There was no suggestion that when arresting the couple that they found a drone (or two). All that was offered was a single shot of an RC helicopter, an MD500 I think, and the statement that the arrested guy was an RC aircraft enthusiast. Into the bargain, his employer said that he could not have been flying the suspect drone because he was working on a job elsewhere. Yet another complete Police stuff-up?
2018-12-23
Use props
sky wombat
Captain
Flight distance : 1444049 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Ok according to the 'news'
. the couple have been released
. There may not even have been a drone
. A damaged drone has been found near the airport (which may, or may not relate to the current case)

So I’ve gone from confused to totally confused.
2018-12-23
Use props
TheKJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 344085 ft
United Kingdom

People People.

As soon as this happen British Airways Stocks and the other airlines that were effected went down.

You would spend 20K On drones Meh.

Put stocks down bet that the stock prices are going down.

Make a couple of million

Inside Job Win win for everyone !!!!

2018-12-23
Use props
rwynant V1
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Even this am,  it is repeated that "there may not even have been a drone/s in the area."

What a cluster!!

Randy
2018-12-24
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Geebax Posted at 12-23 14:25
I saw the BBC report of that arrest over here in Australia. There was no suggestion that when arresting the couple that they found a drone (or two). All that was offered was a single shot of an RC helicopter, an MD500 I think, and the statement that the arrested guy was an RC aircraft enthusiast. Into the bargain, his employer said that he could not have been flying the suspect drone because he was working on a job elsewhere. Yet another complete Police stuff-up?

There's a report in a rag that a 'neighbour' called in about the guy as he was asking for parts for his 600 Heli ...

It gets worse each day !

Nigel
2018-12-24
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rwynant V1 Posted at 12-24 09:01
Even this am,  it is repeated that "there may not even have been a drone/s in the area."

What a cluster!!

That was a mis-quote....
There were drone(s) with numerous sightings from the public, airport staff and officers
2018-12-24
Use props
rwynant V1
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 12-24 20:06
That was a mis-quote....
There were drone(s) with numerous sightings from the public, airport staff and officers

That was reported by CBS Morning News

Not that they can't be incorrect.......It will be interesting to see how fast this falls completely from the news and never heard about again......

Randy
2018-12-24
Use props
IM35461
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2235417 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The manufacturers of the "anti drone" hardware have done well out of this and many millions of pounds has now been spent trying to protect airports from something that may never even have happened.

Everyone else I guess has to suffer, not forgetting the poor couple living down the road from the airport. Could not the cops kept them under surveillance to try and gather 'evidence' of any wrong doing before they took them into custody? Then perhaps their lives would not have been ruined.
2018-12-25
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

With the media hysteria - I suspect it was a matter of being seen to be doing something.

Police - one of those no-win professions. If they arrest and quiz - they are heavy handed, if they step back and watch - they are reported as doing nothing.

20 - 30yrs ago - I would not be against being a Policeman - Today ? No way thank you.

Nigel
2018-12-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules