Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OSMO Pocket gets hot
13691 20 2018-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PBG2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 114787 ft
United States

I've had my OP for a couple of days and I'm noticing how uncomfortably hot it get.  Actually makes it difficult to hold for any length of time.  I'm shooting at 4K 30fps.  Is this normal or do I need to return it?
2018-12-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi PBG2, the Osmo Pocket is capable of recording 4K60 video at 100Mbps, the actual file size of a one minute clip could reach 700MB. Such a huge amount of data is processed by Osmo Pocket in real time hence heat is an inevitable issue. This is also true for other electronic products. To ensure system stability, we designed a T-shape heat dissipation system to continuously carry the heat generated to the part where the gimbal connects to the Osmo Pocket. According to our tests, the surface temperature will maintain in a proper temperature range.

Please check more FAQs of Osmo Pocket here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-175216-1-1.html
2018-12-21
Use props
DanielVieira
First Officer
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-21 00:59
Hi PBG2, the Osmo Pocket is capable of recording 4K60 video at 100Mbps, the actual file size of a one minute clip could reach 700MB. Such a huge amount of data is processed by Osmo Pocket in real time hence heat is an inevitable issue. This is also true for other electronic products. To ensure system stability, we designed a T-shape heat dissipation system to continuously carry the heat generated to the part where the gimbal connects to the Osmo Pocket. According to our tests, the surface temperature will maintain in a proper temperature range.

Please check more FAQs of Osmo Pocket here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-175216-1-1.html

thanks for such information
2018-12-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
Captain
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting as I thought mine was getting hot as well and I was only at 1080
2018-12-21
Use props
PBG2
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-21 00:59
Hi PBG2, the Osmo Pocket is capable of recording 4K60 video at 100Mbps, the actual file size of a one minute clip could reach 700MB. Such a huge amount of data is processed by Osmo Pocket in real time hence heat is an inevitable issue. This is also true for other electronic products. To ensure system stability, we designed a T-shape heat dissipation system to continuously carry the heat generated to the part where the gimbal connects to the Osmo Pocket. According to our tests, the surface temperature will maintain in a proper temperature range.

I realize that it could get hot shooting at the absolute highest resolution and bitrate, and it even warns you of that.  But I'm just shooting 4K30 and you can't comfortably hold it for more than a few minutes.  What do you consider a proper temperature range?

I just want to make sure because I'll return it for a new one if necessary. I'll need to do that before my return period expires.
2018-12-21
Use props
JmaFly
New
United States

PBG2 Posted at 12-21 08:42
I realize that it could get hot shooting at the absolute highest resolution and bitrate, and it even warns you of that.  But I'm just shooting 4K30 and you can't comfortably hold it for more than a few minutes.  What do you consider a proper temperature range?

I just want to make sure because I'll return it for a new one if necessary. I'll need to do that before my return period expires.

I like to know as well.
2018-12-21
Use props
videonoob
lvl.1

Netherlands

can you measure the temp ? is it so hot that you can't hold it ?
2018-12-21
Use props
PBG2
lvl.1
United States

videonoob Posted at 12-21 08:52
can you measure the temp ? is it so hot that you can't hold it ?

I'm not sure how to get an actual temperature reading, but I can say that after a few minutes when it heats up, it's not comfortable to hold, and it makes me want to put it down for a while.  And this is not outside in the sun, this is inside my house.  I can only imagine that using it outside in the summer would be really bad.
2018-12-21
Use props
ajnegron5
New
United States

So today at my company party I noticed after I did a 20min motion lapse with 3sec intervals that it didn't fit back into its case easily.   It was very warm and that has seemed normal, But I also noticed the back plate of the osmo pocket had popped out at the bottom.  It popped back into its original position but I wonder if this will be an issue due to the heat in the future.
2018-12-21
Use props
willyw
lvl.1
Netherlands

In our climate it's a great feature. You need to take off your glove to handle that tiny touch-screen, but that's no problem with the integrated hand-heater
2018-12-21
Use props
fansceb02beb
New
Taiwan

Got my Osmo Pocket today. It got very warm within 10 minutes out of the box, just browsing through the menus without shooting any photos or video. Was wondering if this was normal.
2018-12-22
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansceb02beb Posted at 12-22 01:10
Got my Osmo Pocket today. It got very warm within 10 minutes out of the box, just browsing through the menus without shooting any photos or video. Was wondering if this was normal.

Mine too, but with the low temps here it's nice to know that the Pocket has the added feature of a "pocket" warmer :-)
2018-12-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

DanielVieira Posted at 12-21 01:10
thanks for such information

You are welcome, please let us know if you have any further concern.
2018-12-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

PBG2 Posted at 12-21 08:42

I just want to make sure because I'll return it for a new one if necessary. I'll need to do that before my return period expires.

Hi PBG2, I will verify with our engineers to see if we have this spec can be provided, I will come back to you soon, please wait patiently, thank you.
2018-12-24
Use props
Gisela
lvl.1
Flight distance : 287936 ft
  • >>>
Germany

My pocket get's also really hot. And it doesn't charge completely. Now, since more than 4hours, it just says 79% but it is so hot. don't know what to do. Anyone here with the same problem?
2019-3-27
Use props
Gisela
lvl.1
Flight distance : 287936 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Still 79% Nothing changes Osmo doesn't charge!!!! Need help, please!
2019-3-27
Use props
marctronixx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

the camera will still get hot even if its not recording. its still capturing images and displaying them on the screen. power is being used to power the product so yes expect it to get warm even whilst at idle...
2019-3-27
Use props
G MAN2
lvl.1

United Kingdom

ASMO POCKET Hot topic. Or should I say overheating topic. Overall it is working fine no problems.When I plugged it into IPhone 6. By the time I registeredAnd firmware updatedIt was too hot.So are disconnected from the phone Turned it off to cool down. It seemed to heat up quicker when connected to the phone.In use I would have liked to have been able to use it connected to the phone for monitoring purposes. My first real-world test was a pub gig. Prog Rock songs can go on for ten minutes or moor..So I done every other song.I also found it didn't heat up so muchIf you held it With your fingertips rather than you're fist. Also had other fixed position cams but for roamingThe ASMO pocket footage was stable and awesome. Is it trying to charge when it connected to the phone?
2019-8-5
Use props
G MAN2
lvl.1

United Kingdom

ASMO POCKET
Hot topic.
Or should I say overheating topic. Overall it is working fine no problems.When I plugged it into IPhone 6. By the time I registeredAnd firmware updatedIt was too hot.So are disconnected from the phone
Turned it off to cool down. It seemed to heat up quicker when connected to the phone.In use I would have liked to have been able to use it connected to the phone for monitoring purposes.
My first real-world test was a pub gig. Prog Rock songs can go on for ten minutes or moor..So I done every other song.I also found it didn't heat up so muchIf you held it With your fingertips rather than you're fist. Also had other fixed position cams but for roamingThe ASMO pocket footage was stable and awesome. Is it trying to charge when it connected to the phone?

2019-8-5
Use props
djiuser_1RsM1oJiLNk0
New
Singapore

My OP heats up in a short while shooting 1080/30, attached to mobile. Had it once or twice, turns off itself. Any suggestions as it still has warranty?
2019-11-22
Use props
djiuser_v6WbsEs6A1ex
New

Philippines

Has this issue been resolved? I just got my osmo pocket 2 and it does over heat!! Has anyone found an explanation from DJI?
2020-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules