Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
UHD, but not true 4K
1209 14 2018-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kaiserboy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 60302 ft
United States

Funny how everyone's ready to call everything 4K.  But 4K is a projection standard agreed upon by professionals.  UHD is commercial.

Our Osmo P is not 4K -- it is 2180p and does not have 4000+ pixels horizontally.   UHD 2160p.
2018-12-21
Use props
killertomate
lvl.1
Germany

Dangerous half knowledge ...
2018-12-21
Use props
Kaiserboy
lvl.2
United States

killertomate Posted at 12-21 17:37
Dangerous half knowledge ...

Then an education from you would privilege us all.

Send me $1.43 by Apple Pay to appropriate my setting you up for the slam dunk, sage man.

Dangerous half-response bullcrap.
2018-12-21
Use props
mareklew
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4026 ft
Germany

Yep, 4k is a misnomer and technically is misleading.
Unfortunately this naming issue is not restricted to osmo or dji, most tv brands will happily sell you uhd tv as 4k as well...
2018-12-22
Use props
Jeffuk
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I see nothing wrong with rounding up and calling 3840 = 4000.  There is already enough stuff to confuse us all without being pedantic about a few pixels and I do not believe a single person could tell the difference on a consumer TV if they were placed side by side..
2018-12-22
Use props
mareklew
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4026 ft
Germany

The thing is, there are two different standards on the market, closely related, but not the same. One is UHD (3840X2160) which is quad-hd, 16:9 broadcast standard, and the other one is 4k, 4096*???, cinema distribution standard, 4096 wide, with vertical resolution depending on the film aspect ratio. While the resolutions are close, the encoding format, the stream containers etc are different. The osmo shoots video in uhd resolution, it doesn't encode it or package it in any broadcast/cinema standard format.
2018-12-22
Use props
killertomate
lvl.1
Germany

Kaiserboy Posted at 12-21 17:48
Then an education from you would privilege us all.

Send me $1.43 by Apple Pay to appropriate my setting you up for the slam dunk, sage man.

All about 4K . Read it careful.
2018-12-22
Use props
Kaiserboy
lvl.2
United States

killertomate Posted at 12-22 06:59
All about 4K . Read it careful.

Someone's WIKI description.  Already knew that, as did most posters here, wisdom mug.

My point was that being non-specific leaves DJI customers opening Premiere Pro and having decisions to make.

You seem bitter and authoritarian.
2018-12-22
Use props
David Harry
New

United Kingdom

If you're gonna Troll, get it right.
2018-12-25
Use props
David Harry
New

United Kingdom

If you're gonna try and be what you obviously think is smart, you really should know what you're talking about. 4096 and 3840 both use the same vertical resolution. Simply saying 4000+ doesn't mean a thing as far as aspect ratio is concerned. 1.85:1 is still 4K but doesn't have a horizontal resolution that exceeds 4000 either.

Also, CinemaScope has less vertical resolution than UHD, are you saying that's not 4K?

Seriously. If you're gonna criticise, then knowing all the facts, or having practical experience in such things, is really going to help.

UHD is part of a number of resolutions that's globally known as 4K and it's a standard.

Also. UHD is the most common form of 4K. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see DJI saying that the Pocket records DCI.

Any misunderstanding of 4K is obviously on your part. Think a little harder next time, before you post something that shows you obviously don't work in video or film.

Honestly, saying 4000+ just proves a whole bunch of things.
2018-12-25
Use props
JSWeiss
New

United States

David Harry Posted at 12-25 11:14
If you're gonna try and be what you obviously think is smart, you really should know what you're talking about. 4096 and 3840 both use the same vertical resolution. Simply saying 4000+ doesn't mean a thing as far as aspect ratio is concerned. 1.85:1 is still 4K but doesn't have a horizontal resolution that exceeds 4000 either.

Also, CinemaScope has less vertical resolution than UHD, are you saying that's not 4K?

Hmmm, you seem to have a bit of an agenda here to sound smart yourself.  Well, either way, I see what the OP is saying quite clearly.  It can be confusing, but in general it's pretty obvious that the term is used quite generally.  I think the OP knows enough to have made his point.

Your wording is inconclusive and vague, to have been coming on as if it is indeed "correct" or making things clear.

What do we call the video that is taken by the Pocket?
2018-12-25
Use props
Jeffuk
lvl.2

United Kingdom

At danger of inflaming the exchange further, isn’t 4k more misleading not so  much for the reasons so far given but because  it would be more accurate and less misleading  to call it 2k when comparing it to 1080?
2018-12-25
Use props
Kaiserboy
lvl.2
United States

Jeffuk Posted at 12-25 15:47
At danger of inflaming the exchange further, isn’t 4k more misleading not so  much for the reasons so far given but because  it would be more accurate and less misleading  to call it 2k when comparing it to 1080?

Indeed, a good point.  My point rests on the idea that if you use the "4K" designation, you are left with several possibilities if the vendor is not clear on things.  If the nomenclature followed the typical tact of using the vertical res and the interlace/progressive tail, we'd then be left with the true aspect ratio statement having to be made clear.
2018-12-25
Use props
Vermifuge
lvl.3
United States

let the buyer beware and don't complain when you don't do your homework before making a purchase.  That said, it's a consumer device and one should just assume its "2160p" and not DCI’s actual 4K standard.
2018-12-25
Use props
PiteousPlayer
lvl.2
Hong Kong

I always find it fun watching the insiders and pros fighting over their knowledges. It is like watching books debating each other inside a library in a Disney movie. You guys are amazing! Keep going!~
2018-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules