Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Baked batteries?
730 10 2018-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
warubikku
Captain
Flight distance : 1592264 ft
Philippines

I have been using one of those neoprene foam cut out insert type zippered cases for my spark for just over a year...as far as i know...this is the first time this has happened.

So, hadn't flown in about 2 days, spark and batteries where in the case (charged after last flights) , got it down and layed it (closed) on the sofa whie i got ready to go out.

Rested my arm on the case to sit down real quick to throw shoes on, and i could feel heat on my forarm, from the case, in a true wtf moment i unzipped the case and picked up each component, and 2 of the batteries were hot, like they had just been flown a full run hot.

I hit the button on each and they both were flashing 3 lights, i know they were fully charged before i put them in there the 2 days before, but iv'e never lost a light from just 2 days of sitting, and sure as hell never had a battery bake on it's own, and i mean the heat level was just like you unclicked it from the spark after flying.

SO......Has anyone ever had anything close to this or this happen?

AND....a huge AND here, who knows if this has happened before and i just happen to not know?... What is the crap i have to worry about with these batteries now?

I number each bettery i have, so i know when they came into rotation and one was an original i got with the spark in september 2017 and the other i got in december 2017, so small difference in date but not much, and both have similar flight numbers on them.

1st and common question answered 1st, "no the case doesnt bind or hit the power button".

2018-12-23
Use props
ssylca44
Captain
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Hi,
It would seems  that the batteries  went into self discharge. With the foam being a good heat insulation, it is only normal  for the batteries  to get hot. I use a similar  case but don,t put batteries with more than 2.5 blinking lights
2018-12-23
Use props
Wolferl
Captain
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

Sparkys batteries go into self-discharge only after 10 days of non-usage, IIRC.

I'd put the battery in a well ventilated area and check if it cools down or is still hot.
If you feel safe to put the battery into your Spark you can turn it on, wait a minute or so, then check the cell voltages if they are different.
Difference of more than 0,1 Volt = battery cell dead, maybe slightly shorted, so it heated up.

Cheers & merry christmas to everyone,
Wolferl
2018-12-24
Use props
Daniella3d
Second Officer
Canada

Wolferl Posted at 12-24 00:56
Sparkys batteries go into self-discharge only after 10 days of non-usage, IIRC.

I'd put the battery in a well ventilated area and check if it cools down or is still hot.

The 2 batteries that came with my new spark have a difference of more than .1 and they work fine, at least for now.
2018-12-24
Use props
Wolferl
Captain
Austria

Daniella3d Posted at 12-24 04:26
The 2 batteries that came with my new spark have a difference of more than .1 and they work fine, at least for now.

Hi Daniella,

A failing battery is not like "falling off a cliff", it fails slowly. Like yours, you've just not noticed yet.
If I were you, I'd dispose of that battery.

Cheers & merry christmas to all,
Wolferl
2018-12-24
Use props
Daniella3d
Second Officer
Canada

Wolferl Posted at 12-24 05:50
Hi Daniella,

A failing battery is not like "falling off a cliff", it fails slowly. Like yours, you've just not noticed yet.

Dispose of them? They are brand new so I will contact DJI for a replacement then.
2018-12-24
Use props
Wolferl
Captain
Austria

Daniella3d Posted at 12-24 08:31
Dispose of them? They are brand new so I will contact DJI for a replacement then.

Hi Daniella,

Oh ok, usually LiPo multicell batteries show that sort of behaviour after lots of cycles or heavy abuse (deep discharge, extreme temperatures etc.). A new battery showing this needs to be replaced.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2018-12-25
Use props
Strobing_NYC
First Officer
Flight distance : 3866470 ft
United States

if it's hot out and your really pushing it on the drone watch for battery puff! had it on a few mavic pro batteries and 1 spark so far in 2 years.
2018-12-25
Use props
Alex B.
Captain
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Maybe you switched on the batteries by accident or maybe you didn’t turn them off.
Have you considered that option?

Flysafely
Alex
2018-12-25
Use props
Tentoes
Captain
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

The batteries record lots of information about themselves. I'd contact DJI and see if they have a suggestion.
2018-12-25
Use props
warubikku
Captain
Flight distance : 1592264 ft
Philippines

Alex B. Posted at 12-25 13:33
Maybe you switched on the batteries by accident or maybe you didn’t turn them off.
Have you considered that option?

No, but as i mentioned, there is nothing binding or that could have hit the power button, much less the 2 times it takes to turn a battery on....

Since now i know they will auto discharge as they do, i will just leave them out of the case if i don't fly for a few days.
2018-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules