OSMO POCKET - Ask you experts.
1901 14 2018-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi
I am potentially thinking of buying one of these, but could I please ask some of you experts, who have now been playing with it for a while a few questions :

1 Close ups
We have some bee hives and I want to film the bees up close, what is the minimum focal distance you have found that the photo’s or video is very clear at ?
(Any examples ie: picture of watch and osmo 2 inches from subject etc)

2 HDR
Is there any option to take HDR/AEB photo’s,  if not now, is it planned(Maybe a question for DJI) ?

3 Battery
Next year I am planning a little trip, therefore on a day out, filming say small 20-30 sec video clips, with the odd picture now and again, how does the battery life hold up?

Also if I carry a small USB battery power pack are these handy in the field ?

4 Photo Quality
I am currently used to using my DSLR and ok the pictures are say 25meg, I appreciate these are 12meg, but have you still found generally the quality is very good or warning take your DSLR as well ?

5 Memory cards
I think I read somewhere they have two memory card slots, what sort of configure are people using and is that enough ?
(maybe two 128gb)?

6 IPhone
I have an IPhone 7 and I understand that you plug the osmo into it to view pictures and video, plus live view etc, but how secure is that connector ?

7 Accessories
What are the must have accessorises you would say you definitely need ?

8 Pet hates
Having had the camera now for a while, anything that makes you think oh I wish this or no buy something else and wait for the next version etc ?
(this or GOPro 7)?

Thanks in advance for any replies and possibly more questions to follow, also sorry for so many questions
Cheers

2018-12-24
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Hi Kej. Oh boy, are you going to get e lot of conflicting answers!

First I would say it's just another tool in the toolbox.

It's not a Go-Pro and it's not a DSLR. What it does it does really well but as with everything, it has its limits.
Look at the influx of YouTube videos to see how opinion is split and then look up the specifications and limitations and see if it fits what you do, or how you would benefit from owning one. Don't let others help you decide but personally, I only buy for a need or shortfall in something I want to achieve but at present can't.

Yes, it can be charged by a portable charger, on the go if you wish, and it's a physical connection between phone and camera until the wireless module comes out.
Personally I want to add an external microphone although that may not be enough as the two inbuilt mics on the camera at present may be configured to reduce noise rather than give a stereo output. Also, some filters to help out with exposure and a wireless module for remote operation.  

2018-12-24
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

The answers to all your questions can be found on this forum by viewing and reading from these two resources....
ttps://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 6orderby%3Ddateline

https://forum.dji.com/thread-175216-1-1.html

Similarly, the manual contains specs and info beyond these resources.
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 20Manual%20v1.0.pdf

2018-12-24
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-24 06:12

Thank you, helps to build. picture.
2018-12-24
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thank you, helps to build. picture.
2018-12-24
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thanks, all helps to build a picture.
Merry Xmas!
2018-12-24
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

WebParrot Posted at 12-24 08:15
The answers to all your questions can be found on this forum by viewing and reading from these two resources....
ttps://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 6orderby%3Ddateline

Brilliant - thank you I will have a read!

Merry Xmas!
2018-12-24
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Hi Kej.

So far I've used it for a day.
Minimum focus is around 10cm.
If you use the Pocket with the phone attached you really need to use both hands. I've sent off for a third party combined Pocket/phone holder to free one hand for touch screen control.
Yes, you can use a portable charger with the pocket.
Battery life is not great but I do think 2x128gig cards should be sufficient for a short break.
There are some odd quirks using the Mimo app on phones that have not been tested as compatible with the Pocket but there are workarounds to be had.
The only restriction I've found with not having an officially tested phone so far is I can't play back 4k videos over the phone although I can see on the phone's screen to record.
Having a tough time finding settings in the various menus. Both in-app and on the screen of the pocket. Can't remember which way to swipe to get what screen.
Generally though, for me, it was a good choice. It's just me getting used to it.
Things to be careful of.
Don't fully charge it unless you intend to use it. Storage wise it should only hold around 40% charge.
Don't worry about it discharging quickly while in storage, it doesn't. I looked at mine before Christmas and when I packed it away it read 56% charge around six days earlier. Opening today it read 55% charge.
Gimbal doesn't park correctly for storage. Until there is a firmware update to cure this I'm leaving my Osmo Pocket out of its carry case. It feels like the gimbal is still drawing power when in the parked position. There is light resistance to finger pressure when there should be none.
Really check your phones specs to see if your operating system is compatible and the screen for resolution differences.
2018-12-25
Use props
NorthTexasAerials
lvl.2
United States

1 Close ups
We have some bee hives and I want to film the bees up close, what is the minimum focal distance you have found that the photo’s or video is very clear at ?

Not sure about bees. I've worked bees before and this might be an OK option, especially for video, but I think in general for photos it's going to be a bit on the slow shutter speed side until they change the ability to do more of that manually.

3 Battery
Next year I am planning a little trip, therefore on a day out, filming say small 20-30 sec video clips, with the odd picture now and again, how does the battery life hold up?

It's OK so far, but I would definitely bring a small USB pack.

Also if I carry a small USB battery power pack are these handy in the field ?
We fly aerial photography missions of 3-4.5 hours in length with a 30 min. fuel stop and right back in the air for another 3-4.5 hours. These USB packs with the ability to get a bit of solar charge in the field come in VERY handy: https://amzn.to/2SmcW35
4 Photo Quality
I am currently used to using my DSLR and ok the pictures are say 25meg, I appreciate these are 12meg, but have you still found generally the quality is very good or warning take your DSLR as well ?

I'm not leaving my DSLR behind anywhere I want a must-have picture. For a walk around the park, I'll probably grab the Pocket Osmo.

5 Memory cards
I think I read somewhere they have two memory card slots, what sort of configure are people using and is that enough ?
(maybe two 128gb)?

It's just one slot. Unless you're going crazy with the video, you might get away with one big card, but heavy video will of course eat up cards.

6 IPhone
I have an IPhone 7 and I understand that you plug the osmo into it to view pictures and video, plus live view etc, but how secure is that connector ?

On my iPhone 6, it's NOT very secure, and you have to take the phone out of it's case to use it unless you get something like this: https://amzn.to/2V7qcdL

7 Accessories
What are the must have accessorises you would say you definitely need ?

If you EVER set it down to film, it will need a base of some sort to be secure. It's just not safe to set it down upright anywhere it might get bumped. My PO already got taken back to Best Buy after it got knocked off a balcony where it was sitting on it's own (no one was touching it at the time) while filming. I'm waiting to pick up it's replacement (Thank God I bought the replacement plan)

8 Pet hates
Having had the camera now for a while, anything that makes you think oh I wish this or no buy something else and wait for the next version etc ?(this or GOPro 7)?

It depends on how much disposable income you have. ;) I don't think there's anything that quite replaces this, and I love it's portability and feature set and believe that as the firmware matures and the accessories come in it's going to be a good tool. I do think that besides the focus and firmware issues, my biggest gripe is that it really, really is going to need some accesories to make it a fully useful device. I'm thinking mostly of secure mounting options and the wifi.
2018-12-25
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-25 08:41
Hi Kej.

So far I've used it for a day.

Thank you, great info
2018-12-25
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

NorthTexasAerials Posted at 12-25 09:24
1 Close ups

Thank you, more useful insight and links.
2018-12-25
Use props
edsel6502
New
United States

I would stay away. Especially if you have a Pixel 2 XL

YMMV. I have had mine from a few days now. And it still is unable to activate. The app plays that stupid activation in a loop over and over again and will not detect the OP when plugged in. Please note according to the FAQ the Pixel 2 XL is official supported and tested (rubbish).

The ever so helpful support is asking me to do dumb things like
- is there a case? As it would block the usb-c connector for fully inserting. Like it would never occur to someone that would be an issue
- and the ctrl-alt-del equivalent of android troubleshooting. Uninstall and reinstall the app. Also done before contacting them.
- Use another mobile. Which is idiotic has the phone that I am trying to activate, can't detect the OP. So if I do have another USB-C phone which I do not. (stupid to not have micro-usb to activate). And I do activate it, it still does not detect the OP when I use my Pixel 2 XL.

Yeah kinda salty.. But for good reasons.
2018-12-25
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

edsel6502 Posted at 2018-12-25 23:42
I would stay away. Especially if you have a Pixel 2 XL

YMMV. I have had mine from a few days now. And it still is unable to activate. The app plays that stupid activation in a loop over and over again and will not detect the OP when plugged in. Please note according to the FAQ the Pixel 2 XL is official supported and tested (rubbish).

Thank you, good to have views from both positive and negative sides.

In the end of I have gone for a GoPro Hero 7 Black and to be honest very pleased with it.
2019-3-8
Use props
Udo13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

KEJ Posted at 3-8 21:33
Thank you, good to have views from both positive and negative sides.

In the end of I have gone for a GoPro Hero 7 Black and to be honest very pleased with it.

First of all, I would like to mention that I have been filming with a wide variety of camera systems for more than 30 years.
In 2015, I switched from Full HD to 4k, starting with the Panasonic FZ1000, the Sony AX33 and the Actioncam YI4k Plus.
Since that time, I mainly film our trips and almost exclusively used the YI4k Plus, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone 6s Plus.

My experiences with the DJI Pocket:
Received 18.12.2018
After just a few days I was convinced by the DJI Pocket by the ease of use, compactness and quality of the recordings.

During our 4-week trip - Dubai - Singapore - Auckland - Sydney including a 15-day cruise I filmed almost exclusively with the Pocket without docked iPhone.

By mistake, the pocket fell into the sea. 3 days later, I immediately bought a new pocket for Melbourn in the DJI store, because I did not want to miss out on the recordings of the pocket for the rest of our trip.

Almost all shots of the Pocket - about 20 hours - showed good quality.
The video recordings I process now gradually to small videos. I have already shown some here.

Now for your questions:
1) close-up
No special experience, so I guess from about 1 m

3) battery
During the trip I had only once connected my power bank.
Otherwise the battery of the pocket was always sufficient.

4) photo quality
I also had my Panasonic FZ1000 with me, to take nice pictures with the big zoom.
But also the pictures of the Pocket are very good.
Once in Dubai, I filmed a longer swing from my hand, ie without a tripod, with the FZ1000 and the pocket over the Dubai Creek. The shots of the Pocket is certainly hardly lower than that of the FZ1000. The shots of the pocket look like filmed by the tripod, the shots of the FZ1000 I had to calm down in the video editing program.

5) memory cards
Yes, 1 card Slot
I have 4 pieces 128 GB SD cards and secure the recordings on the go on hard drive, which I connect externally to a tablet.

6) iPhone
I use my iPhone 8 Plus and also my wife's iPhone 6s Plus, both with bumpers. Absolutely no problems connecting to the Pocket.

7) Accessories
Mount for tripod and a small tripod (Gorilla, or ...)

8) Pet hates
That I bought a second pocket very quickly after the mishap, is certainly the answer.

There are still some additions to the firmware and the Mimo APP, for example, smaller intervals for Time Lapse, etc.
But I am very confident that DJI's developers will do it in the short term.

You certainly will not regret buying the Pocket.

Here are some of my videos with the Pocket:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLeKKxsWSniHPkqdy6u-4VM2s3V48mxHA

2019-3-9
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Udo13 Posted at 3-9 02:35
First of all, I would like to mention that I have been filming with a wide variety of camera systems for more than 30 years.
In 2015, I switched from Full HD to 4k, starting with the Panasonic FZ1000, the Sony AX33 and the Actioncam YI4k Plus.
Since that time, I mainly film our trips and almost exclusively used the YI4k Plus, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone 6s Plus.

Thanks for the feed back, but I have jumped to the GoPro.

Great info and I will take a look at some of your vids.

Thanks
2019-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules